Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Count Thrashula posted:

drat I wish I could listen to Woods for the first time again

Thanks to this thread, I listened to Woods 5 for the first time.

Can confirm, it kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
woods of i guess.

what the gently caress is this?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

woods of i guess.

what the gently caress is this?

What if My Dying Bride made grunge?

I really liked their first album when I was 15 but the really cringe lyrics actively kill them now that I’m not a depressed teenager.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh my god 4 months later it's finally here

Still waiting on mine. I got a shipped notification last week so hopefully it comes today.

edit: yep it came.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 2, 2023

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was listening to some Yngwie Malmsteen the other day and "you've unleashed the loving fury!!" popped into my head and I couldn't stop laughing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vargatron posted:

I was listening to some Yngwie Malmsteen the other day and "you've unleashed the loving fury!!" popped into my head and I couldn't stop laughing.

Yngwie owns in so many ways :allears:

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yngwie owns in so many ways :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZ48AE3TOI

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
he looks like john lithgow in glasses and long hair

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nightfall by Candlemass reappeared in my music shuffle. What a good album!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The only Nightfall I need is the one in Middle-Earth

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nordick posted:

the one that quietly crept in and changed us all?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Easily the second best Candlemass album

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vargatron posted:

:hmmyes:

Nordick posted:

CornHolio posted:

the one that quietly crept in and changed us all?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Breath Of Wind - Nature IV (New Version) (atmospheric black)
Aeonian Sorrow - Katara (doom)
Ánni - Deliverance (black/doom)
Arkona - Ydi (black)
Carnation - Cycle of Suffering (death)
Helga - Skogen Mumlar (post-black)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
re: earplug chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJZ28RuJaw

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

even if you dont give a gently caress about your hearing plugs just make the sound better

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

even if you dont give a gently caress about your hearing plugs just make the sound better

It's important to hear the walls of the repurposed warehouse club reverberating and almost nothing else

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I am going to Guardian for the nth time this Saturday and I will be wearing earplugs because this is the right thing to do.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Test out the earplugs ahead of time and find ones you like because you may as well not even wear them if you're just going to take them out midway through the show.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The ones I have have 3 different valve sets depending on how much volume there'll be. I think Im just gonna use the "smaller" ones

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

The ones I have have 3 different valve sets depending on how much volume there'll be. I think Im just gonna use the "smaller" ones

Are they the Alpine ones? I just grabbed a set and they're comfy af and them seem pretty good at preserving fidelity, but I haven't tried them at an actual show yet.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Name Change posted:

It's important to hear the walls of the repurposed warehouse club reverberating and almost nothing else

why go to shows if not to snobbily judge the sound and pedalboards

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now my move is to bring etymotics and foam plugs just in case.

Also ibuprofen for my back :hb: I’ve also been needing that because the last few shows I’ve been to I walked to, over four miles each way. It’s probably dumb to walk that far then stand at a show for hours before doing it again but I’ve been enjoying the walk back through empty industrial areas and graveyards.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New Harper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cl91XNnk2U

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations for comfortable ear plugs for shows? I’m using some 20-year old etymotics, but they tend to be pretty painful after an hour or so.

e: ha, just noticed the hearing discussion a couple pages ago

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 5, 2023

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Are they the Alpine ones? I just grabbed a set and they're comfy af and them seem pretty good at preserving fidelity, but I haven't tried them at an actual show yet.

Yes, them's the ones. Alpine Musicsafe Pro. They are comfortable but they are also quite soft and don't feel tight unless I put them deep into ear which is lame. Soft as they are, they are hard to pluck out without help form another human

I believe earplugs are the studio/concert equivalent of condoms. They are no fun, but if you use them you will live longer and you can only pretend to be deaf when you get old.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 5, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Re: Earplugs, I've been using Downbeats for a couple of years now and they've been great. There are probably better, and there are probably cheaper, and I'd love to hear about anything better or cheaper, but in my experience these have been a great combination of lightweight, effective and comfortable.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations for comfortable ear plugs for shows? I’m using some 20-year old etymotics, but they tend to be pretty painful after an hour or so.

e: ha, just noticed the hearing discussion a couple pages ago

im a big fan of eargasms

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I bet u are :smugdog:

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I can't remember the last time I listened to Atheist but this morning I put on Piece of Time and man that album totally slays.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

im 39 and have been to many many shows and have never ever worn earplugs and somehow dont have tinnitus (or can't notice it?) and you all have me sorta fearing for my life with all this earplug chat

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

im 39 and have been to many many shows and have never ever worn earplugs and somehow dont have tinnitus (or can't notice it?) and you all have me sorta fearing for my life with all this earplug chat

Go get a hearing test

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ShoogaSlim posted:

Same, except I am 51 and did start wearing earplugs at some point in my 30s. No hearing damage at all here, I figure if it was going to happen it would have by now.

Not stopping the earplugs though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ShoogaSlim posted:

I legit doubt you don't have some issue. In a completly silent room do you hear a little noise?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hearing damage isn't something you readily notice, it's subtle and creeps up on you like how people who ride in your car will wonder why you have the treble boosted all the way as it sounds perfectly normal to you as you can't really hear anything above 10kHz which doesn't affect the frequencies used in human speech.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
One morning I woke up (not even after a show!) and my ears were ringing. It went on for a few days, and then weeks, and then I realized that it was permanent. Do not recommend at all!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Definitely worth being cautious with your hearing. Barely anything we hear day to day is natural or meant for humans. We’re supposed to hear nature and voices and that’s about it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ever since reading the chatter in this thread ive been paying attention to what i can "hear" when my environment is otherwise silent. i go to a guided meditation class once or twice a week and really enjoy the room when it's silent and not having my tv/fan/air conditioner/fridge hum to muddy up the atmosphere.

in fact, the last session i did i felt like i could hear the fridge in the other room of the meditation center which was odd.

if there's any prominent/ever-present noise happening even during silence, it is *very* subtle. i also don't doubt that it can/will get worse if i continue to neglect my hearing. but i do try to keep the number consistent (or lower than normal if i can) when listening to music in the car or audio on my tv, etc.

but now come to think of it, every once in a while, all audio in my left ear sometimes just goes completely muffled for like 5 seconds completely out of nowhere. it always comes back but it is always extremely jarring and i'm always like "this is it.. this is me going deaf.. oh wait it's back" so yeah maybe i'm more hosed than i think lol

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dimebags Brain posted:

What if My Dying Bride made grunge?

I really liked their first album when I was 15 but the really cringe lyrics actively kill them now that I’m not a depressed teenager.
Woods is hit or miss, but after David Gold died, the remaining members made one of my favorite albums ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdxBTlt1GWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

grocery thrash, this rips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_oX_aKNRw