Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Love this. Tell me more about how you took this photo. Gear, settings? Motivation behind it?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Haven't posted in a while and didn't want to go back a million pages for quoting but I love all of these.

This one is really nice, a lot of detail even with how sunny it is.

Also, big appreciator of the "chad driving meme" style photos.

I'm still trying to make black and white work, my editing needs work though. i'll probably buy some real photo editing software soon instead of darktable, simply because of there being a lot more information on how to do stuff in lightroom or whatever. went to a flower festival a couple weeks back:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Looking at your editing here, and depending on what you're looking for, your biggest issue here is the setting of black and white points. Check out the histogram on that first photo:

You've got a lot of dead space on the right hand side there, hightlights and whites. Moving the white point down is the first thing I'd be looking at doing.

Doing nothing but that gives you an image with more contrast and more pop:

Honestly for black and white work I think darktable should be more than adequate. Learning how to look at a histogram and manipulate it to get the output you want is pretty universal across all photo editing suites.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've never used darktable before but I've installed it to see how it works, to adjust your points you want the levels tool, grabbing and pulling down this bar here is setting your white point

After that for black and white I'd focus on the local contrast and exposure settings for quick adjustments, just drag stuff around until it you like it and see what the sliders do.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't claim to be any expert on B&W editing but I always get real nervous about pushing the white point all the way. It feels like it makes the highlights too hot and they should be drug back a bit.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I do it with all my photos, I generally want a pure white point and a pure black somewhere in my image. But, even if I edit them up or down from there it's a pretty good starting point to see what you have to work with.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Bringing your black point up can make your photo look like a faded print. People like that because it gives off a vibe and feels vintage. That's fine for a Lana del Rey album cover or to appeal to a particular customer or whatever but it's a cheap effect and usually doesn't have much to do with what's going on in the rest of the picture

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That first city shot is especially good. I like the shadows

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yep, I love that mix of old and new. Train shot is my favorite and curious on your focal length for these.

Digging this - looks like a spooky hand.

Wibla posted:

85mm f/1.4D is a fun lens.

Yeah, I'm enjoying my 90mm macro but I wish I had that extra light sometimes. Only thing keeping me from doing a run with that length for a few weeks without changing.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

What, objectively, in your mind makes this a good photo? What do you think other people should like about it? Not being argumentative, but that's how I try to approach self-critique and would expect someone offering critique to consider themselves.

Generally I find that only having one single item that is objectively likeable about a photo, unless the one thing is extremely compelling, results in just an "eh" photograph. Once you get a couple of solid things going you end up with a much more widely appreciated image. In this case if it's just "the colors" then maybe it's not the strongest photo to present.

I don't know that I am "qualified" to offer an irrefutable opinion, but here are my thoughts, having gone through a similar phase of "why does nobody like my photo" which is a period everyone should get to and learn from on the Dunning–Kruger curve journey:

The HDR effect is, in my opinion, overdone unless it's enhancing an image rather than trying to be the sole subject of it, the highlights in particular here need to be reigned in quite a bit. The leading lines of the street and buildings draw you to the blown out sky in the off-center-left of the image and there's no "subject" there. With different framing the subject could be either Lemongrass or Edison but both are so far to either side that they don't feel like they should be the subjects and I find my eye getting pulled back to the blow out almost-center looking for something else. The crop/framing puts the red car and bush at "eye level" which feels awkward and leaves you wondering why the street is missing from the frame. The color grading is a bit too surreal for my own personal tastes, particularly in the tint I think. The lens flare and weird artifact banding on the left isn't doing the photos any favors. There's maybe a single person I see very small by the cars in the street but otherwise seems devoid of human interaction which gives it that 3d render feel as well. Overall it feels like a random snapshot of some urban area that was attempted to be salvaged with heavy cranking of Lightroom sliders versus an intentional image trying to convey some sort of story or simply a subject.

If at the end of the day you are still in the opinion of "I think this looks cool" then fine, but if you can't articulate why others should also think it is cool then maybe their opinions aren't entirely wrong either.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Yep, I love that mix of old and new. Train shot is my favorite and curious on your focal length for these.

2nd and 4th are 35mm, rest are 50mm

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 10, 2023

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Nice one

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Both of these rule

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Megabound posted:

Both of these rule

:yeah:

Did you consider presenting them as a diptych?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jumping onto this B&W Landscape theme. I'm really loving these

IMG_7605 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_6988 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_6936 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_2208 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_0392 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_0257 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's just something about B&W at midday that triggers the "I'm an ARTIST" feeling. I can't figure out why but I get addicted to it too.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
We got a regular Ansel Adams over here 😎

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

getting a lot of boss baby vibes from this..

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bellows lugosi posted:

getting a lot of boss baby vibes from this..

what does that mean?

here are some color ones

313A6095 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A6097 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A6036 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A6370 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4017 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 11, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That purple blue cast interior shot is wild. What’s going on with that lighting? Looks daylight outside

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

That purple blue cast interior shot is wild. What’s going on with that lighting? Looks daylight outside

Wandered into a restaurant with some fun tinted glass. Here's the whole set: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAY5Ta

This one in particular looks completely shopped, but was just reflections and tint
313A6377 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Megabound posted:

helpful feedback about setting the white point

hey, thanks for taking the time to do that! honestly the method I'd been using (whatever the default filmic rgb thing is) was less straightforward then what you posted about. I guess stuff not being super clear is par for the course for free open source software.

I think in my head I was equivalating bright whites with the trauma of all my early over exposed colour stuff lol, but you're correct in that it really makes the image pop. The raws from my nikon come out of the camera with very low contrast, I've gotta come to terms with making big changes instead of just nudging things around.

All great but i really like this one - cool how the sign or whatever is parallel to the trains and kind of resolves the wierd angle of the building just behind the trains

super pleasing, really perfect framing without it feeling artificial at all.

Again all great but I really like this one, great crop

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

these two are my jam

i love that hint of warm light peeking through the floor and going up some verticals in that first one

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

blue squares posted:

what does that mean?

pretty sure its a funny tweet reference

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I guess it's fall now? Very pretty light...

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

blue squares posted:

Love this. Tell me more about how you took this photo. Gear, settings? Motivation behind it?

i like plants swallowing things back into the earth, everything becomes dirt.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Those are really sick

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blue squares posted:

I'm not the OP but I think the first two, and especially the first, are much less important than the latter. Artistic intent, an interesting subject, and an eye for composition are to me the three main ingredients of a great photo. Basic competence in settings matters to a degree so you don't unintentionally blow everything out or whatever but won't matter without the rest. Gear depends somewhat on what you're trying to do, but overall barely matters at all. They might have various limitations, but you can shoot great photos on a low-end DSLR, or a beat up old film camera, or a point and shoot, or a phone, if you know what you're doing.

I haven't posted (or shot) anything in forever, but just so I don't come off sounding like I think I'm hot poo poo, I think I have a good eye for composition, am hit-and-miss on subjects (ie sometimes the ones I find interesting are also interesting to others, sometimes not, or I fail to capture what makes them interesting to me), and kind of suck at the artistic intent - I'm rarely trying to say more than "hey this is beautiful and I feel lucky to have seen it and want to share it with you" if I'm doing trad landscape or "this is kinda dystopian but also cool looking" if I'm doing urban. This is why nobody will ever put one of my photos in their gallery, but I'm fine with that. Settings wise I actually gently caress up and miss focus or screw up exposure a lot but don't post most of those if I can't salvage them in post. Gear wise I just have a cheap DSLR with a kit lens and a wide angle lens, a couple of old cheap film SLRs, and an iphone 4. Oh and a tripod I never seem to have with me when I need it and always have when I don't. I rarely feel like I need anything else. I like digital because I'm free to experiment (or spray and pray) without wasting loads of expensive film, film for the tones and organic look that digital seems to lack, and the phone for being in my pocket all the time.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I found one of them trees that eggsovereasy loves

Used my new Ricoh GRiiix, testing out some of the film sims

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 16, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really like that B&W sim. Does it show the sim on the LCD as shooting?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Really like that B&W sim. Does it show the sim on the LCD as shooting?

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

blue squares posted:

I found one of them trees that eggsovereasy loves

Used my new Ricoh GRiiix, testing out some of the film sims

Hell yeah, I like the black and white one.