Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Yea my only big gripe 1 year on with the deck is the virtual keyboard is hot rear end
Everything else is aces though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mine "blinks" when I use the keyboard and it's super annoying. Like the whole system is like "oh gently caress you want to.. type? one sec let me find the keyboard"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

One of the guys who made Fable just put out a free old school RPG game if folks are looking for new stuff to check out.

https://twitter.com/Fluttermind/status/1707529725609119884?t=SNhoE2k4vV5nJ1jnp-HOZw&s=19

I tried this a few days ago, it’s basically for all intents and purposes unplayable on deck unless you dock. You have to do so much typing

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

A small swipe keyboard like gboard would be much better than the way the pads are being used now. Swipe on the touchscreen itself, I mean, with a much smaller, mostly transparent overlay that you can swipe across and still see what you're responding to.

The problem with the current keyboard doesn't stop at usability when typing. It's huge and covers half the screen, very often including the inputs you're typing into and the words that you're responding to.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Eh I can kind of forgive it just because you’re running up against the form factor. Like, I don’t expect to play a text heavy old school adventure game on the deck. It’s adequate for pecking in your character name in modern stuff.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh I can kind of forgive it just because you’re running up against the form factor. Like, I don’t expect to play a text heavy old school adventure game on the deck. It’s adequate for pecking in your character name in modern stuff.

Except they randomly break the keyboard being able to do that in games also lol. The deck is great but it’s a strange thing that the virtual keyboard has as much trouble as it does

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

v1ld posted:

A small swipe keyboard like gboard would be much better than the way the pads are being used now. Swipe on the touchscreen itself, I mean, with a much smaller, mostly transparent overlay that you can swipe across and still see what you're responding to.

The problem with the current keyboard doesn't stop at usability when typing. It's huge and covers half the screen, very often including the inputs you're typing into and the words that you're responding to.

Relying on the touchscreen is a terrible idea, it's arguably the shittiest component in the Deck

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jokes posted:

Relying on the touchscreen is a terrible idea, it's arguably the shittiest component in the Deck

Every time I have to use the touchscreen is a failure of the Deck UI

Weedle
May 31, 2006

one time i accidentally killed a prisoner in mgsv because my palm touched the screen and it registered a mouse click

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
e: wrong thread

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 4, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

jokes posted:

You mean in terms of quality of reading the touch? Would be good to know more.

I use it for the keyboard sometimes if I don't feel like dpadding around since the touchpads don't work very well. Haven't noticed any problems there, but then again I don't have a swipe keyboard or other swipe use cases to test fidelity with.

E: the old steam controller + split, small keyboard popup we used to get with Steam on PC was a better experience than the current touchpads+onscreen keyboard with the Deck. Not sure how much of that opinion is from the warm glow of memory, but it's not a good setup today.

Also, it's a good thing to embrace the touchscreen inputs. That's a clear distinguishing factor for this device and Valve/Steam need to use it and even innovate around it. But if that actual touchscreen is lovely, that's a different thing.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2023

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

v1ld posted:

You mean in terms of quality of reading the touch? Would be good to know more.

I use it for the keyboard sometimes if I don't feel like dpadding around since the touchpads don't work very well. Haven't noticed any problems there, but then again I don't have a swipe keyboard or other swipe use cases to test fidelity with.

E: the old steam controller + split, small keyboard popup we used to get with Steam on PC was a better experience than the current touchpads+onscreen keyboard with the Deck. Not sure how much of that opinion is from the warm glow of memory, but it's not a good setup today.

Also, it's a good thing to embrace the touchscreen inputs. That's a clear distinguishing factor for this device and Valve/Steam need to use it and even innovate around it. But if that actual touchscreen is lovely, that's a different thing.

I think part of why the Steam controller felt so much better is the slight convex curve to the steam controllers touch pads. made sliding around on the touch pad a little more accurate to me.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The_Fuzzinator posted:

I think part of why the Steam controller felt so much better is the slight convex curve to the steam controllers touch pads. made sliding around on the touch pad a little more accurate to me.

Yep, and they were a lot bigger too

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, the ROG Ally sucks for what reasons:

1) Windows sucks
2) The screen is too high resolution for major battery life/performance gains
3) There's no touchpads
4) SteamOS is better for handheld purposes b(though maybe big picture is fine as a SteamOS-alike?)
5) ???

Really wish the Deck had eGPU support

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I like my Rog Ally due to its a normal rear end computer out of the box. I work on tech for a living so im used to having to deal with the quirks of it being a laptop

the pros are its a laptop
the cons are its a laptop

the quirks of windows 11 are annoying but it is nice to be able to surf normally with no effort

the day one updates needed to make this thing work properly takes about 3 freaking hours and that is the reality of a laptop but people expect it to be a console and return it since during those 3 hours its a hot mess

Asus wont give anywhere near approaching the support it should have if they ever want to sell a Rog Ally 2 in the future - Valve has been steller on that front

On the other hand it benefits from the "steamdeck verifiyed" mark for devlopers to aim for is sweet. If I see that I know it will run great or better on Ally or newer competitors

the 120 hz screen beats the decks but it doesnt beat the gorgeous Switch Oled for emulation it rocks

emulation is the main reason i got it and it being a normal rear end laptop is a huge bonus

that said I got it for 500 bucks

It came with a protection plan for 2 years

for 700 its just much less attractive

Going forward I would love to see a Steamdeck with oled and better resolution

And I would love to see the next switch innovate but keep its kick rear end battery life and form factor but I just dont see how they can and have it be more powerful

acems
May 8, 2019

Weedle posted:

one time i accidentally killed a prisoner in mgsv because my palm touched the screen and it registered a mouse click

you can turn the touch screen features off in controller settings, totally necessary for some stuff.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1709643696302346305

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upsidads posted:

I like my Rog Ally due to its a normal rear end computer out of the box. I work on tech for a living so im used to having to deal with the quirks of it being a laptop

the pros are its a laptop
the cons are its a laptop

the quirks of windows 11 are annoying but it is nice to be able to surf normally with no effort

the day one updates needed to make this thing work properly takes about 3 freaking hours and that is the reality of a laptop but people expect it to be a console and return it since during those 3 hours its a hot mess

Asus wont give anywhere near approaching the support it should have if they ever want to sell a Rog Ally 2 in the future - Valve has been steller on that front

On the other hand it benefits from the "steamdeck verifiyed" mark for devlopers to aim for is sweet. If I see that I know it will run great or better on Ally or newer competitors

the 120 hz screen beats the decks but it doesnt beat the gorgeous Switch Oled for emulation it rocks

emulation is the main reason i got it and it being a normal rear end laptop is a huge bonus

that said I got it for 500 bucks

It came with a protection plan for 2 years

for 700 its just much less attractive

Going forward I would love to see a Steamdeck with oled and better resolution

And I would love to see the next switch innovate but keep its kick rear end battery life and form factor but I just dont see how they can and have it be more powerful

The VRR is also legit AF.

The next deck needs VRR

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

v1ld posted:

While I agree with this, the challenge is that pretty much no one that isn’t a phone game developer is targeting touch screen. All the games that Steam wants you to play were built around traditional inputs. Heck, Steam’s huge innovation going back to the steam controller was making it really easy to remap KBM as controller inputs.

And frankly I don’t expect non-mobile game companies to target touch screen any time soon. For AAAs console inputs are the main target on that front, and smaller indies tend to either go that route or KBM for the crunchy stuff.

That said yeah I wish the touch screen was a bit better just because it makes some annoying menus in games never made for controller easier to handle.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

my deck seems to be happy to delete my cloud saves from desktop so that's kinda cool

please stop steam deck

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The_Fuzzinator posted:

Agreed. It also let you find the home position easily, being the deepest point of the curve. I find it difficult to do that on the flat touchpads.

There's a relative move option, where merely touching the pad doesn't do anything but a swipe is considered relative to where you first touched and not to the center of the touchpad. Hope that makes sense, not the clearest words.

Thing is the latter option is very laggy - there's a perceptible delay before the move registers. Can think of a good reason for why that has to be, so maybe it's a bug?

Cyrano4747 posted:

While I agree with this, the challenge is that pretty much no one that isn’t a phone game developer is targeting touch screen. All the games that Steam wants you to play were built around traditional inputs. Heck, Steam’s huge innovation going back to the steam controller was making it really easy to remap KBM as controller inputs.

And frankly I don’t expect non-mobile game companies to target touch screen any time soon. For AAAs console inputs are the main target on that front, and smaller indies tend to either go that route or KBM for the crunchy stuff.

That said yeah I wish the touch screen was a bit better just because it makes some annoying menus in games never made for controller easier to handle.

Agreed on all of that. As the perennial optimist I'm hoping the Deck is the first pebble rolling down a large mountain of mobile PC gaming potential.

I'm always prepared for disappointment as a P.O.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

victrix posted:

my deck seems to be happy to delete my cloud saves from desktop so that's kinda cool

please stop steam deck

That's really weird, never seen that happen.

You're supposed to get a pop up warning you if your saves get out of sync between PC and Deck - for eg., if you play games on both of them while one is offline and your histories diverge.

This wasn't always the case and I was one of many filing bug reports on this at launch I think. But you do get those warnings now, along with a pop up that lets you decide which saves to keep, local or cloud.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is the save deletion happening on games that have a native Linux version?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I miss F-Zero GX a lot and am thinking about emulating it because no one of consequence seems to care about it anymore.

Does anyone know if GX plays well in Dophin? Also, is Dolphin the best emulator for it?

Related, does anyone know of any F-Zero-like games on Steam?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I miss F-Zero GX a lot and am thinking about emulating it because no one of consequence seems to care about it anymore.

Does anyone know if GX plays well in Dophin? Also, is Dolphin the best emulator for it?

Related, does anyone know of any F-Zero-like games on Steam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3kLkCr6PpE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oooh, thank you!

Meanwhile, Ooooh my, Redout 2, helloooo.... :smug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ooooh my, Redout 2, helloooo.... :smug:

that looks sick

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah F-Zero GX and Rogue Leader are the 2 games everyone uses for testing Gamecube emulation because if it runs those it'll run anything.

I need to play Redout 2 at some point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What I really love about GX is the vehicle customization and the poo poo load of vehicles and racers. The decal maker? What is this, Forza?!

If Redout 2 has that level of customization, Welp, pack it in, that's perfect.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This was posted to the CP 2077 thread, 68% of the DLC sales are on PC: https://twitter.com/cdprojektred_ir/status/1709934221840814198

Granted this is a game that is only available on the 2 higher end consoles and PC but still far more of a share than I expected for PC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can definitely imagine console owners would be reluctant to buy DLC for a game that potentially didn’t even work when they bought it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question:

If you the Deck is connected to Wifi, but is set to "offline mode", can non-steam apps still use the internet? I'm curious because the Deck distinguishes between "offline mode" and being actually disconnected from the network.

I'm currently traveling, and I'd like to use my phone for internet to enable earning Retroachievements, but I don't want the Deck trying to download 2GB game updates on my phone data plan.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Annath posted:

Question:

If you the Deck is connected to Wifi, but is set to "offline mode", can non-steam apps still use the internet? I'm curious because the Deck distinguishes between "offline mode" and being actually disconnected from the network.

I'm currently traveling, and I'd like to use my phone for internet to enable earning Retroachievements, but I don't want the Deck trying to download 2GB game updates on my phone data plan.

From Desktop mode - 100% yeah, you can put steam in Offline mode and still have wifi.
From gaming mode - also yes, I added Firefox as a non-steam game and it's letting me browse around while steam is in Offline mode but wifi still connected.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Cool! Thanks!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Going on a flight and wanted to play thps on deck but it's online only even though it's an offline game?

Whyyyyy. Should me marked unsupported for that nonsense

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Harminoff posted:

Going on a flight and wanted to play thps on deck but it's online only even though it's an offline game?

Whyyyyy. Should me marked unsupported for that nonsense

In-flight wifi is usually free with US carriers. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In-flight wifi is usually free with US carriers. :shrug:

lol who

And lol

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think Alaska charges UNLESS you know someone with a T-Mobile phone number.

Nothing else, just their phone number.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why the HELL would i need to be online to play an offline game? Thankfully the Switch doesn't do that garbage, but neither should the Deck, a handheld gaming device meant for traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It’s so the devs can harvest and sell your data, op.