Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Anyway. I came here for something else. But before I post about it, is there a list of features requested/planned (and known bugs etc) I can peruse at my leisure? I don't wanna repeat anything that or have already been saying.

I couldn't see anything like this mentioned in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/issues ?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lovely, thank you. 68 issues isn't too much to catch up on!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When I'm looking at a thread in Firefox I no longer have the option to open it in the app, would that be an Awful issue or a Firefox issue? Or an Android issue?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sharing to the app seems to work. I guess there was supposed to be something in the Firefox meatball menu directly? I've never used that intentionally.

I wonder if it relates to the other reported issue of the app losing?/not having its link types registered and not having a way to rectify?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I didn't know I could Share to an app like that so I'll just do that instead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

YggiDee posted:

When I'm looking at a thread in Firefox I no longer have the option to open it in the app, would that be an Awful issue or a Firefox issue? Or an Android issue?

Does it show up for you in the three dot menu in the upper right? It's there for me when I could've sworn it used to be right next to the url when I tapped on it (a qr code reader is there now). I could also just be remembering wrong.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It used to show up in the three dot menu, right under the "desktop site" toggle, and now it doesn't.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

YggiDee posted:

It used to show up in the three dot menu, right under the "desktop site" toggle, and now it doesn't.

I had this happen a couple of nights ago, and forgot about it until now. I have Firefox v177.1.0 on my phone, and v118.1.0 on my tablet, and neither one has the option anymore.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Update seems to have gone through to beta, please test the imgur upload, tia

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That appears to be working

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Testing:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Very nice.

So where does that go? Anonymous upload? I thought those would get deleted after a certain period.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You have to have an imgur account, so if you posted that without it asking you're not on the latest beta

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'm not sure how to use the beta version. Can't find it on the options or on the Google Play Store.

e: ah, found it. Nvm

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Would letting us feed it ftp info so we can use our own hosting be a possibility? I'm inclined to move on from imgur if they're gonna keep getting shittier

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I'm not sure how to use the beta version. Can't find it on the options or on the Google Play Store.

e: ah, found it. Nvm

Can you tell me? :blush:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Javid posted:

Would letting us feed it ftp info so we can use our own hosting be a possibility? I'm inclined to move on from imgur if they're gonna keep getting shittier

Honestly, the use case is too narrow

With a bit of luck, astral will find some time to spin up that improved attachment service at some point.

By the way, I opted for the duct tape and gum method, so the token the app gets from imgur will not be refreshed once it expires in about a year. Instead it will just remove your account from the app and you will need to log back in.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sereri posted:

Update seems to have gone through to beta, please test the imgur upload, tia

Seems to work, thanks for doing this!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Worked for me! Thanks for putting in the update, I've been getting tired of switching photos around between devices because mobile browser imgur is so janky.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Worked for me! Thanks for putting in the update, I've been getting tired of switching photos around between devices because mobile browser imgur is so janky.

I hate to inform you but the app has had imgur uploading for years. This update just adds account details so they don't get wiped at some point

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I hate to inform you but the app has had imgur uploading for years. This update just adds account details so they don't get wiped at some point

And I used the app to upload to imgur for years until they changed their policy to wipe images that weren't associated with an account.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Oh lol, I know. That was kinda vague, but I used it for all the unimportant pics that I don't really care about long-term, I just switched to uploading more important stuff to my account separately from the app after the big imgur announcement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sereri posted:

Honestly, the use case is too narrow

I mean you're updating the entire app over the issue of image uploading capacity, why not provide a future proof option for people that have their own hosting instead. Imgur is going to keep getting worse and the account thing just kicks the can down the road.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Javid posted:

I mean you're updating the entire app over the issue of image uploading capacity, why not provide a future proof option for people that have their own hosting instead. Imgur is going to keep getting worse and the account thing just kicks the can down the road.

astral is hard at work on the permanent solution in the form of attachments 2.0

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Javid posted:

Feel free to contribute to the GitHub!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Which will be great for people that want to pay for / use that forums function, I guess.

I have it but I tend to post things elsewhere too so attaching things here is basically useless when I'll have to upload them again anyway

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Uthor posted:

Can you tell me? :blush:

It was in the Google Play Store after all. Not sure why I missed it before. Just go to the page for Awful app and scroll down until you see a header mentioning joining the beta program. It's just one button click.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Javid posted:

Which will be great for people that want to pay for / use that forums function, I guess.

I have it but I tend to post things elsewhere too so attaching things here is basically useless when I'll have to upload them again anyway

Those are totally valid points but I don't think FTP support is the solution. I'm going to take a wild guess that the average forum user does not have access to an FTP server for this purpose. What a bizarre request.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Question:

Is my imgur account I share family photos from going to be found out if I login to the app and share a pic? I assume not, but maybe it's a good idea to create a new account anyway...

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You have to give a phone number to make an imgur account now? Or am I missing something..

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wendigee posted:

You have to give a phone number to make an imgur account now? Or am I missing something..

The new owners of imgur are evil, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sywert of Thieves posted:

It was in the Google Play Store after all. Not sure why I missed it before. Just go to the page for Awful app and scroll down until you see a header mentioning joining the beta program. It's just one button click.

Did you know there's a comic where Captain America gets into a professional wrestling match?

Also, this works, thanks! :thumbsup:

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
thanks for such a great app. I really like it!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Any issues with transitions to android 14? Wanna know before I update.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I haven't had any issues with Awful and my Pixel 5 on Android 14.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How feasible would it be to make a version of the app without posting capabilities? I'm thinking for new potential users, an app to just read threads I send them. I feel like the bare bones is just removing a few buttons and getting an account for the app, and then maybe a local hack for bookmarks and last read post.

I really need my friends to read about elf dicks, okay?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
you don't trust your friends to :justpost: ?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I guess they mean an app that doesn't require a :10bux: SA account.

Just buy your friends an account already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
Similarly, I'd like to be able to share a single post like I can online.

When I send someone a link it's instead the whole page, and they can't find what I'm trying to show them.