Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Sleggar's GM done! I probably only used half the decals, and I'm not 100% happy with what I did, but overall pretty satisfied.

I bought Sleggar on a whim and I'm surprisingly happy with it. I still need to slap the water decals on it.

Is that Heavy Gundam on P-bandai at risk of disappearing or do I have some time before I commit on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey that's not... completely accurate... :negative:

Speaking of 30MM, with regards to the W-03 Multi Booster kit, are they roughly the right diameter to fit some GN Drives in the 'nozzle' end?

Here's RG Hi-Nu, assembled but without detailing. The metallic bits need paint, the whole thing needs panel lines and decals, and I've also got the launcher to build.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

MillennialVulcan posted:

Is that Heavy Gundam on P-bandai at risk of disappearing or do I have some time before I commit on it?

You should always jump on P-Bandai stuff ASAP, as there’s no way of knowing whether something is going to linger on the site for months or sell out immediately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

Speaking of 30MM, with regards to the W-03 Multi Booster kit, are they roughly the right diameter to fit some GN Drives in the 'nozzle' end?

I actually do have that one, and just checked to confirm; There's a standard 3mm slot in there, so if they mount on a single 3mm peg (or you're willing to glue/cludge one to mount accordingly), then yes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm slowly putting together a WFM kit and I keep panicking when I realize I cant find a polycap runner. :v

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually do have that one, and just checked to confirm; There's a standard 3mm slot in there, so if they mount on a single 3mm peg (or you're willing to glue/cludge one to mount accordingly), then yes.

It's more of a concern about diameter, since I don't have any 00 kits to get a measurement of the part from. Whether by drill or fill, I can make anything fit on anything so long as the actual dimensions aren't totally cracked.

(I want to make a robot inspired by the Project Wingman superplane and GN drives look like they fit the bill for cordium engines.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1710120870243631285

She counts as Gunpla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Standard release or p-bandai?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hell yeah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping regular release.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm slowly putting together a WFM kit and I keep panicking when I realize I cant find a polycap runner. :v

I hear you. The WFM kits are nicely different from the UC kits I've spent the most time on. I love the engineering, it's both original and really good. These kits are a breath of fresh air to any experienced gunpla builder.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

It's more of a concern about diameter, since I don't have any 00 kits to get a measurement of the part from. Whether by drill or fill, I can make anything fit on anything so long as the actual dimensions aren't totally cracked.

(I want to make a robot inspired by the Project Wingman superplane and GN drives look like they fit the bill for cordium engines.)

Ahh :hmmyes:. Look into the Option Set 9 Boosters as well, maybe the Exa Vehicle Air Fighter too.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Now to find a 1/12 spiked baseball bat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Foglet posted:

Now to find a 1/12 spiked baseball bat.

HGBC Matsuri Weapon Set (I remembered there being one at some point and had to go look it up).

Good luck finding one though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm hoping regular release.

Seems to be, unless "From today onwards, online reservations will be accepted sequentially" means it isn't. The listing on the Japanese site isn't marked with a P-Bandai icon, anyway.

Kind of odd, since it's priced like the P-Bandai Suletta rather than the mass release one, and it's coming out more than six months after the last retail release, but Bandai makes odd decisions sometimes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HGBC Matsuri Weapon Set (I remembered there being one at some point and had to go look it up).

Good luck finding one though.

There's also MS Option Set 6 from IBO, which might have been reprinted more recently. Not as many spikes, but that helps make it less Oni and more Louisville.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sure ChuChu’s popularity caught Bandai off guard and this kit was an 11th-hour addition to the lineup.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Pretty sure ChuChu’s popularity caught Bandai off guard and this kit was an 11th-hour addition to the lineup.

I think we can probably get a concept-to-production timeline for a kit with this one if that's true. Chu Chu's popularity peaked around the end of episode 4, released on October 23rd 2022. Her kit is releasing in February 2024. So, that's about 1 year to get final product, 4 months to mass production on the shelf.

Not a concrete lock, but it at least gives a ballpark.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Bit of a stretch to ask in this thread but does the Gundam Factory Yokohama offer entrance tickets at the counter or do you have to book them online first? Not the Gundam dock experience thing to get up and close to the granddad, just the facility entrance ticket.

I was there in April and got tickets at the counter when I arrived.

I actually didn't really give a poo poo about Gundam until that moment.... now I'm doing a full UC watch-through and build Gunpla... So yeah, would recommend.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DrHammond posted:

I was there in April and got tickets at the counter when I arrived.

I actually didn't really give a poo poo about Gundam until that moment.... now I'm doing a full UC watch-through and build Gunpla... So yeah, would recommend.

Cheers, I'm headed to Tokyo for a week in late Oct and wanted to stop by and check out the Gunpla store there.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Sleggar's GM done! I probably only used half the decals, and I'm not 100% happy with what I did, but overall pretty satisfied.

I just build my GM Sleggar custom too, this was my first attempt at using waterslide decals. The EFSF decal on the left shoulder tore a bit on application, and the 77 decal on the right curled in on itself when I was applying it, so I had to settle for an alternative. The ones on the torso came out good, so it was a mixed bag. I am happy with how it came out, mostly on the strength of the Doan's Island GM design and the color scheme.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looking at the new SEED Freedom kits, and that Perfect Strike is garishly ugly. It's a visual mess trying to find anything distinct at a glance between all the pink-and-black spikes. It sorely needs a secondary colour to break it up.

Also how long do you think it'll be before one of the Black Knight Squad are used to kitbash a Treasure Knight Gundam? A week, at most?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at the new SEED Freedom kits, and that Perfect Strike is garishly ugly. It's a visual mess trying to find anything distinct at a glance between all the pink-and-black spikes. It sorely needs a secondary colour to break it up.

From the Gundam Planet product description page:

We're reaching some kind of naming singularity with Seed-adjacent kits; the words "perfect" "strike" and "freedom" have been in a blender for a while and now "rouge" has been thrown in, so it's only a matter of time before the HG Perfect Rouge Amazing Strike Freedom Astray is announced and the Earth's core becomes a black hole.”

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finishing up Chuchu's demitrainer and its pretty nice and solid EXCEPT where the hip joint connects to the leg that thing loves loving popping off. Going to have to add some extra coats to see if that helps

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I enjoyed building the demi tray but any time I try to pose it those legs just drive me up the wall, maddening.

I've really enjoyed the gundam kits I've built but I'm really on a "weird little guy" kick. I picked up a grave frog and a nacchin and those are absolutely delightful, but I only came across them by chance. is there a specific website I should be checking out that specializes in the weird little guy category? I know the nacchin designer also had a couple other kits that fit the bill

vvv that's a great job with the weathering wow congrats

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 7, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I gave the leg pegs on the Demi Tray a few coats of lacquer paint and it seems to be quite nice now! can pose the legs without them flying off.

Also went and retouched my 30mm commando because I wanted to try out shading a bit and touched up some more weathering detailing. a tiny bit more work but a lot more payoff with the variations in grime and shade.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Used my Backlogust reward to get this for slightly cheaper.

Overall a fun build and the cape is neat, but it has a number of fiddly stickers and you pretty much need a stand otherwise the cape will either cause it to tip over or bend itself on the ground.

All in all, Machinedramon is a better pick if you want a Digimon figure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt realize that the upper body just rests on a flat square, looks kinda funny. Also yes the legs are killing me every time I try pose them too. Wish they were as solid as the arms. The wrist cuff pieces also had a sunken parting line down the middle which meant I had to sand down quite a bit to smooth it out. Oh well.

Needs weathering and shading though, right now its just base colors and panel lining.

Family shot!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 7, 2023

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Hello gunpla thread!

I know nothing about gunpla, I've not even watched any Gundam, but building models is fun and big robots are cool. So I got this.

I'm making it with my class of Grade 5 kids at school. They've just started a big, long term independent learning project that marks the end of their elementary school career and it can be pretty stressful so we've got this to relax and take our minds off it. Their tiny hands are very useful and they made this (the head) in about fifteen minutes. Now to actually get some proper tools so we're not just using a pair of their school scissors lol.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I gave the leg pegs on the Demi Tray a few coats of lacquer paint and it seems to be quite nice now! can pose the legs without them flying off.

Also went and retouched my 30mm commando because I wanted to try out shading a bit and touched up some more weathering detailing. a tiny bit more work but a lot more payoff with the variations in grime and shade.

This looks extremely cool!

Calexio fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 7, 2023

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Okay where did the red olive get that baseball bat
I need to know

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I designed and printed it!

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I designed and printed it!

Thought so. Awesome job.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Home for Thanksgiving weekend and rural internet is a crapshoot so my brother asked if I wanted to paint up some of his/my old guardsmen minis. It's pla and has a gun.

I think the first coat of primer is a bit heavy. I'll give it a second coat in a few hours to hit the parts I missed and then start giving it a proper paint job.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Home for Thanksgiving weekend and rural internet is a crapshoot so my brother asked if I wanted to paint up some of his/my old guardsmen minis. It's pla and has a gun.

I think the first coat of primer is a bit heavy. I'll give it a second coat in a few hours to hit the parts I missed and then start giving it a proper paint job.

That is definitely too thick. A second coat would be a mistake.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arc Hammer posted:

Yes it is. Be very careful on the second pass with primer. If you're spraying, back off a bit and apply patience. If not, just brush the bits that need it. Should still paint up fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's what I get for not shaking the rattle can enough and probably aiming too close.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Looking at those bubbles is giving me the urge to strip and start over.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if it looks fine in person just go ahead with painting. Definitely looks way worse with the camera though agh all those bubbles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I've let it settle and it's still a heavy coat but not as bad as the photo makes it out to be. My phone cam isn't the best.