Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Harik posted:

i looked it up, and only DC, New Mexico and South Carolina have what we'd consider "jaywalking" laws, where pedestrians are confined to specific marked areas and is a crime to leave those.

Everywhere else has a fairly uniform code of "It's legal to cross roads as long as you don't jump out in front of a car"

Another common provision is "if you're next to a crosswalk loving use it instead of crossing wherever", but it's still the driver's responsibility to stop for you.

Texas owns for drivers though:

"When traffic signal is not in place, vehicles must yield to pedestrian in crosswalk on vehicle’s half of road or close to it. Pedestrians must not step off curb and into path of vehicle when vehicle does not have time to stop. If vehicle violates this statute and hits a blind or disabled person, they must pay a $500 fine and perform 30 hours of community service for a charity that serves blind or disabled people."

youre ignoring all of the states like pennsylvania though that say no jaywalking in urban areas, which is where most road crossing happens for obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FlutieFlake posted:

"I'm driving with the flow of traffic" is the excuse every driver uses to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit all the time. Maybe if people drove the speed limit instead of using that excuse, traffic would be 5-10 mph slower and much safer.

Gun murder is way too common in the US, but it's about half as common as car death. A few of those shootings are road rage related, but most of them aren't. Driving faster is more likely to kill you (or someone else) than someone flipping their lid because you were going the speed limit.

The most likely place for someone to get killed while driving is at an intersection where cars are traveling different directions, and in those types of collisions, less speed is undeniably less deadly. Of course, driving slower is always safer for people walking along or crossing the road.

if people drove differently things would be different but that's how it is, i didn't make it dumb

the ground doesn't move and do unpredictable poo poo like random people in other cars on their phones or drunk/nodding out, if you are by the ground and not near them you are far less likely to die, you do not have to roll the 'will this guy whose mad at me shoot me' dice at all
if you are moving at a lower relative speed to other cars by maintaining the same speed you are less likely to die in a car crash than if not by the same virtue

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
really though it's dumb to think that speed limits are any different from jaywalking laws when it comes to how they're only used as pretense to punish minorities

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

youre ignoring all of the states like pennsylvania though that say no jaywalking in urban areas, which is where most road crossing happens for obvious reasons

quote:

75 P.S. § 3542, § 3542: When traffic
signal is not in place, vehicles must
yield to pedestrian in crosswalk on
vehicle’s half of road or close to it.
Pedestrians must not step off curb and
into path of vehicle when vehicle does
not have time to stop.

75 P.S. § 3542, § 3543: Pedestrians must
yield to vehicles when crossing outside
crosswalk. Pedestrians must use crosswalk
at intersections with traffic control devices.
Pedestrians must not cross diagonally.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

keep reading, I already pasted the next clause

mystes
May 31, 2006

really though it's dumb to think that speed limits are any different from jaywalking laws when it comes to how they're only used as pretense to punish minorities
All laws are disproportionately enforced against minorities but I don't personally think the solution is to get rid of all laws

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

its true

cops see mercedes benz & lexus driven by an old white ppl in slomo they never get pulled over

they also never install speeding cameras in their own communities

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mystes posted:

All laws are disproportionately enforced against minorities but I don't personally think the solution is to get rid of all laws

the solution isn't to enforce nore unequal laws harder either

mystes
May 31, 2006

FirstnameLastname posted:

the solution isn't to enforce nore unequal laws harder either
If minorities are disproportionately convicted of murder do you think the solution is to legalize murder?

If you don't think that, you agree that some laws are good but just need to be enforced more fairly and you just disagree about speed limits because you're carbrained.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
punish all the speeders, minorities be damned!!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
all the states are pretty carbrained in that there's a burden on the pedestrian to not get killed by drivers when crossing, rather than for drivers to drive safely. But the ones I pointed out are the only ones with strict "no peds outside marked zones" jaywalking laws.

Around half the states add "marked and unmarked" to crosswalks, with the general definition being "where you would expect them to be at intersections, even if the stripes aren't painted."

I'm not sure what the range is on crosswalks before you're not required to use them. Maybe some states it's interesection-to-intersection even if it's a half mile between them and the bus stop is in the middle?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

if people drove differently things would be different but that's how it is, i didn't make it dumb

the ground doesn't move and do unpredictable poo poo like random people in other cars on their phones or drunk/nodding out, if you are by the ground and not near them you are far less likely to die, you do not have to roll the 'will this guy whose mad at me shoot me' dice at all
if you are moving at a lower relative speed to other cars by maintaining the same speed you are less likely to die in a car crash than if not by the same virtue

Look, the only safe thing to do is to put your gas pedal to the max and never, ever let up, because if you don't, the driver behind you will become Hitler and go genocide a bunch of people.

Which is to say if you're not speeding a whole bunch, you're basically a Nazi.

mystes
May 31, 2006

punish all the speeders, minorities be damned!!
You're missing the point that if you enforced it uniformly, it wouldn't disproportionately affect minorities

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ham Equity posted:

Look, the only safe thing to do is to put your gas pedal to the max and never, ever let up, because if you don't, the driver behind you will become Hitler and go genocide a bunch of people.

Which is to say if you're not speeding a whole bunch, you're basically a Nazi.
what

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

me pulling onto a freeway: "twenty is plenty."

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mystes posted:

You're missing the point that if you enforced it uniformly, it wouldn't disproportionately affect minorities

when has there ever been a law applied uniformly?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
all I'm saying is that if you're driving like a maniac 20 over the limit and there are kids, cyclists and other pedestrians nearby you're a Fuckin Dick.

if you do that on the freeway you're probably still an rear end in a top hat but it's not like you're a potential murderer.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

keep reading, I already pasted the next clause

Maybe you intended to but didn't press the post button?

penndot doesn't have any distinction between urban/suburban/rural on their pedestrian safety, so maybe it's local ordinances you're thinking of?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mystes posted:

sorry govts all out of fair only got More

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

all I'm saying is that if you're driving like a maniac 20 over the limit and there are kids, cyclists and other pedestrians nearby you're a Fuckin Dick.

if you do that on the freeway you're probably still an rear end in a top hat but it's not like you're a potential murderer.

I know it's tempting to think of dr*vers as not being "people," but it's still murder to kill them

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Harik posted:

Maybe you intended to but didn't press the post button?

penndot doesn't have any distinction between urban/suburban/rural on their pedestrian safety, so maybe it's local ordinances you're thinking of?

I did quote it earlier. Title 75 § 3543 subsection C. You can't cross anywhere between any two signal-controlled intersections in an urban district except for at marked crosswalks. That comprises the majority of pedestrian crossings in the state for obvious reasons.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

I did quote it earlier. Title 75 § 3543 subsection C. You can't cross anywhere between any two signal-controlled intersections in an urban district except for at marked crosswalks. That comprises the majority of pedestrian crossings in the state for obvious reasons.

every state has "if there's marked crosswalks loving use them" language. They don't all have "this applies for an infinite distance" like Penn does though.

Add PA to the list of shithole states.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Harik posted:

every state has "if there's marked crosswalks loving use them" language. They don't all have "this applies for an infinite distance" like Penn does though.

Add PA to the list of shithole states.

most of them are the same as that PA law, though!

randomly picked another state, WA:

quote:

Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

you're making it out like this is the exception but it's not lol, jaywalking is commonly illegal in urban areas across the country

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
there should be speed limits for pedestrians

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
pedestrians should wear helmets if they're afraid of getting hit by cars

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when guiliani tried to put up fences to stop jaywalking everyone jumped over them so much they had to take the down

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

when guiliani tried to put up fences to stop jaywalking everyone jumped over them so much they had to take the down

lol I forgot he did this, what a loving moron prick

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't tell how y'all are interpreting the jaywalking law. Do you think it's legal or illegal to jaywalk where this man is standing?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/n4rxa39xFzqEPqbk7

(It's legal)

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can't tell how y'all are interpreting the jaywalking law. Do you think it's legal or illegal to jaywalk where this man is standing?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/n4rxa39xFzqEPqbk7

(It's legal)

Depends entirely on the state sadly

maybe the federal government should do something about that. idk

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
like speeding, it's up to the police to decide whether you're breaking the law or not, as it doesn't matter whether you're eventually found innocent of that specific crime in a hypothetical court of law

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Are there any places that actually specify how far away from a crossing you have to be to not be considered as jaywalking because most don't seem to.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
jaywalking laws were created to make being on a road unlawful except where marked so that pedestrians could be blamed for being hit by cars bc rich ppl were getting in trouble 2 much

Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

Are there any places that actually specify how far away from a crossing you have to be to not be considered as jaywalking because most don't seem to.

I've lived in PA all my life and had no idea that there were a dickhead clause in title 75 until Second Hand Meat Mouth mentioned it. The law is real dumb.

I will continue doing whatever the gently caress I want and advocating for peds as though that clause didn't exist because why the gently caress wouldn't I lie through my teeth about it and tell drivers they were breaking the law when they killed someone

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
it's okay even if jaywalking is legal nationwide the cops will still harass people over it, like "I told them not to cross and they disobeyed me"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

jaywalking laws were created to make being on a road unlawful except where marked so that pedestrians could be blamed for being hit by cars bc rich ppl were getting in trouble 2 much

yeah, it's just a happy accident for the authorities that jaywalking laws can also be used to crush minorities. the original point is to make sure that drivers dont get in trouble for killing people

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
he was coming right for me
he was trying to flee

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

he was coming right for me
he was trying to flee

lmao

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

yeah, it's just a happy accident for the authorities that jaywalking laws can also be used to crush minorities. the original point is to make sure that drivers dont get in trouble for killing people

that's what i said

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

eXXon posted:

as far as I can tell no. The wording that they all copy is "between adjacent signaled crossings" but adjacent isn't defined anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FlutieFlake posted:

"I'm driving with the flow of traffic" is the excuse every driver uses to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit all the time. Maybe if people drove the speed limit instead of using that excuse, traffic would be 5-10 mph slower and much safer.

yeah like what I tell myself when I drive at 30 kph is that I'm doing everyone a favor because it acts as "traffic calming" for everyone else that has to deal with my speed