Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

definitely aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Of course Elon is baffled by the concept of testing to ensure reliability

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Ah, the classic, getting in on the drug trade.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

so true!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

*extremely normal thing that the government has done on tv and radio for decades happens*

"This is very suspicious!"

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Y'know I hadn't really noticed but that blue checkmark or whatever would look so much cooler if it was an x.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Avirosb posted:

Y'know I hadn't really noticed but that blue checkmark or whatever would look so much cooler if it was an x.

Elon, tomorrow, to his engineers: make the blue checkmark a swastika

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Elon Musk’s X is a black hole of value

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/elon-musks-x-is-black-hole-value-2023-10-03/

X is still worth something, but not for the people running it. Boss Linda Yaccarino is set to present her plans for the social network formerly known as Twitter to bankers holding nearly $13 billion of its debt, the Financial Times reported. Looming over talks is the likelihood that X’s value is substantially less than even that figure.

Despite Musk’s big pronouncements about pushing into subscriptions, X has historically relied on advertising, which contributed over 90% of revenue when it was a public company. But that business is spiraling, and the platform’s shifting policies could threaten more branding deals. In July, Musk posted that cash flow was negative because of a 50% drop in advertising sales.

Put it all together, and X isn’t just worth less than Musk paid for it, but likely less than its debt. Assume that the company’s revenue last year was $4.7 billion, based on results before it was taken private. If advertising has dropped by half, then this year’s sales should be a bit over $2.5 billion. Put that on the same enterprise-value-to-sales multiple as Snap, which is down to a mere 3 times, and X is worth around $8 billion.

The company is so far covering its hefty interest payments of $300 million per quarter, and Yaccarino sees profitable days ahead. But between Musk’s impromptu product shifts and the need to woo back advertisers, her task is daunting. If things deteriorate further, the company’s bankers - already nursing billions in on-paper losses - face the prospect of taking back the keys to a diminished platform that is worth less than even their claim on it. Like a financial black hole, X threatens to consume most of whatever value it once had.

The Last Call has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Oct 5, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol that the banks didn't immediately take that .65 cents on the dollars debt offer, it will never be that good again

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol that the banks didn't immediately take that .65 cents on the dollars debt offer, it will never be that good again

That's because Mr Musk outsmarted them. He's really pretty drat intelligent you know.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
a trueu drat genius billionaire...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
elon musk killed twitter he's a hero

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

x is actually thriving so check yourself hater. unregretted user seconds have never been higher. mods?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think what they need is more sports.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

did someone say sports?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So, knowing Musk, grifters and brands alike will be able to send unsolicited purchase links to their followers by direct message and he assumes that people will think "this is cool and good" and not hammer the "Unfollow" button by the third time they get spammed?

Because making that an opt-in on the users' side certainly is not part of his consideration?

Pair this with his (shoddily, I'm sure) planned incorporation of banking and payments (:rubby:) and o-weeeee, that will be a wild ride.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

ah yes, this elon fellow has done such a bang-up job in the last year with x the everything app that i am totally comfortable sharing my bank info. nothing to worry about there.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Facebook aunt any% category dominated

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Between X, the Cybertruck, and Starship, I see rosy days ahead for our boy Elon's net worth.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1709713103036768376?t=ZSsArq1mWwK16JfiroCDDg&s=19

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hey could someone make the thread titles funny again?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

The Last Call posted:

Elon Musk’s X is a black hole of value

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/elon-musks-x-is-black-hole-value-2023-10-03/

X is still worth something, but not for the people running it. Boss Linda Yaccarino is set to present her plans for the social network formerly known as Twitter to bankers holding nearly $13 billion of its debt, the Financial Times reported. Looming over talks is the likelihood that X’s value is substantially less than even that figure.

what are the odds she has to catch a plane in the middle of the meeting?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

thathonkey posted:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Linda got the ADL to comeback and she got Paris Hilton, the queen of pop culture, music, business and TV, to partner up with X

She'll get the banks onboard

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Like to wish Elon a good morning

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Cup Runneth Over posted:

how's it feel to be a CSPAM poster

Feels great, like being a total idiot without a care in the world

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Elon is the COOLEST

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://twitter.com/TheRabbitHole84/status/1709739751803343148?t=71SoxDZT1Pe-JZsGdDzBvw&s=19

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Lol legacy media where’re your rapists and nazis huh bitch lol x has all the sex traffickers on lock

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

There seems to be a mistake where Russell Brand posted that on a site that isn't X

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Old Musky is my personal hero. I mean as much as I can have one in this nihilistic post-modern world.

Seeing the terminally online Twitter dorks who seriously believe that the world hinges on their every post absolutely meltdown as Elon destroys the platform is the perfect schadenfreude for me. Add that to his pathological need to have a galaxy brained opinion on every conceivable topic, and he’s given me countless hours of free entertainment.

colonelwest has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Oct 5, 2023

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
What are they competing for? Whoever can make the least amount of money?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Avirosb posted:

What are they competing for? Whoever can make the least amount of money?
you won't care

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Thank you Elon for the sunshine today

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

shyduck posted:

Thank you Elon for the sunshine today

he gave up his life so we could enjoy sunshine

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
the “if you want the war to end Russia should just go home” and “no negotiations ever” freaks are driving me insane lol. ukraine isn’t capable of achieving their “total victory or death” goal which means they’re inevitably eventually going to hit the “or death” outcome if the war continues indefinitely. the only way for these freaks to save Ukrainian lives, the fascist Ukrainian state, or it’s “democracy” at this point is a negotiated settlement based on the current lines

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Songbearer posted:

the “if you want the war to end Russia should just go home” and “no negotiations ever” freaks are driving me insane lol. ukraine isn’t capable of achieving their “total victory or death” goal which means they’re inevitably eventually going to hit the “or death” outcome if the war continues indefinitely. the only way for these freaks to save Ukrainian lives, the fascist Ukrainian state, or it’s “democracy” at this point is a negotiated settlement based on the current lines

sir this is a GBS thread

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Manpower? What's that? The only thing I understand is firepower! With enough weapons given, Ukraine will have to win!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

thathonkey posted:

what would you recommend op