Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I understand, but wasn't the Reaper hint literally the Grim Reaper?

It's more that if he wanted the hint to just be "it's green" there's another famous cartoony aquatic critter in American pop culture he could have used :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Green Mage actually being playable is going to be unusual though unless it is In Name Only because Green Mages are buff/debuff mages which don't really have a solid role in the FFXIV trinity. It'd probably end up being the Caster version of Dancer but it'll be interesting to see how they balance that.
rather than 'caster version of dancer' im kind of assuming it will pick up the dot stuff summoner dropped. i know they hate dots over at cbu3 but lumping it all into one class and one class alone should be okay

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ryanbomber posted:

It's more that if he wanted the hint to just be "it's green" there's another famous cartoony aquatic critter in American pop culture he could have used :colbert:

The Battletoads?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ryanbomber posted:

pico from f-zero

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

infinite technical step is definitely op.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

rather than 'caster version of dancer' im kind of assuming it will pick up the dot stuff summoner dropped. i know they hate dots over at cbu3 but lumping it all into one class and one class alone should be okay

I think part of the problem there is that DOTs start running into buff cap stuff which is part of the problem in the first place and a brand new class that is nothing but DOTs feels like a headache waiting to happen.

I wouldn't mind it at all but considering their trending towards a minimal amount of DoTs in general it feels unlikely.

Ryanbomber posted:

Not one who had a recently released movie at the time of the conference though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also part of the reason DoTs are getting removed left and right is because of the fight design and the way DoTs don't tick during invulnerability phases. Having only one DoT class would push that issue into the forefront, honestly, especially if it's the shiny new one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think part of the problem there is that DOTs start running into buff cap stuff which is part of the problem in the first place and a brand new class that is nothing but DOTs feels like a headache waiting to happen.

I wouldn't mind it at all but considering their trending towards a minimal amount of DoTs in general it feels unlikely.
if its a class entirely devoted to DOTs, maybe they could find some way to work around it? say you only put one 'dot' on the enemy and then you other abilities increase the power of of that dot or keep the dot going in addition to the damage they do, or pop it for damage so you have to reapply it. that kind of thing. a bunch of classes have a rando debuff they have to keep on the enemy, like reaper, so that alone shouldnt be a problem.

having the dot's damage be something the player directly interfaces with would also solve the invuln phase problem since itd just be the same 'restart your rotation' thing a lot of classes have going on with invuln phases

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I suppose making it work like MCH's robot, where you can "detonate" it early, would be a possible fix, but I'm not convinced the team is eager to revisit the issue when they've spent so much effort trying to free themselves from it.

It's the same reason I don't think we're ever getting a real Beastmaster job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ryanbomber posted:

The Ninja Turtles had a movie out this summer so it was probably easier to grab a shirt of

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maybe make the DoTs part of the job gauge instead being buffs/debuffs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im like 90% sure yoshi-p walks into a random kiosk in vegas and grabs the first t-shirt he sees that he can sort of pretend has anything to do with the job, and people think way too hard about the deep lore

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
BRD and most Healers still have DoTs so they have some leeway to allow debuffs on monsters. Maybe they'll raise the cap? It was quite the day in classic WoW when the enemy debuff cap was raised...

Endorph posted:

if its a class entirely devoted to DOTs, maybe they could find some way to work around it? say you only put one 'dot' on the enemy and then you other abilities increase the power of of that dot or keep the dot going in addition to the damage they do, or pop it for damage so you have to reapply it. that kind of thing. a bunch of classes have a rando debuff they have to keep on the enemy, like reaper, so that alone shouldnt be a problem.

having the dot's damage be something the player directly interfaces with would also solve the invuln phase problem since itd just be the same 'restart your rotation' thing a lot of classes have going on with invuln phases

I'm thinking you could make the DoTs into "buffs" the class has that periodically damage your current target.

i.e. You cast Damage Over Time 1 and gain DoT 1 "Buff", which radiates 80 potency every 3 seconds for X seconds. Then you cast Damage Over Time 2 and gain the DoT 2 "Buff", then you cast Aether Manipulation and renew or enhance those somehow. It'd be pretty unique and enable target swapping better than hard casting DoTs on every new target. I also like the mental imagery of an esoteric aster who builds up like a company of satalites/familiars/conjurations/puppets(PUPPET MASTER CONFIRMED) around you as a terrifying symphony of magic missiles launched at some poor sap like a building mortar orchestra.

Or if we're going the Geomancer path you could create patches of ground that do the same thing and the damage pulses from ground effects, freeing them from the debuff cap and making you stand in solidarity with NIN for when the tank walks them out of your lava pools.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doomykins posted:

BRD and most Healers still have DoTs so they have some leeway to allow debuffs on monsters. Maybe they'll raise the cap? It was quite the day in classic WoW when the enemy debuff cap was raised...

It's far more likely to me that 7.0 simply removes BRD's DoTs. 6.0 already removed getting Repertoire from DoT ticks and their interaction with Sidewinder, meaning they have no real tie to the rest of the job's design besides Iron Jaws to refresh them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In a world where they changed summoner from what it was to what it is, there's very little chance they're going to add a new job that is primarily DoT-focused.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

looking forward to them removing brd's dots so it can truly be stripped of all identity besides being dancer with more buttons

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

looking forward to them removing brd's dots so it can truly be stripped of all identity besides being dancer with more buttons

:negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
someone told me Krile hints at a new job in the teaser before I got there so when she said "I wish I had a mammet" or whatever I started pogging out of my gourd

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I do think Yoship would like loving with the fanbase, so a shirt that could link to painter being on purpose wouldn't surprise me

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It really does feel like the Spiderman shirt broke peoples brains with possibilities. That was a single shirt that ended up being a bit of a stretch to make a pun. All of his other shirts have been overwhelmingly straightforward -

quote:

James Bond Shirt - Machinist Announcement
Batman Shirt - Dark Knight Announcement
Scarlet Witch Shirt - Red Mage Announcement
Spiderman Shirt (Sam Raimi) - Samurai Annoucement
Grim Reaper Shirt - Reaper Announcement
Buggs Bunny Shirt - Viera Announcement

So that is 5 shirts that are the most obvious thing and only 1 shirt that requires a stretch. The most obvious thing for a TMNT shirt is "these guys are green. Hence green mage."

Since Green Mage is a bit light on "identity" it gives them a lot of space to really make something unique. I've seen it said that FFXIV is really lacking in "nature" jobs. I hope it goes that route.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

looks like there's some bugs going on with player buffs which can result in, among other things, buffs becoming permanent
you can actually see the log for that run here, the dancer used 248 technical finishes because the technical step buff just didn't go away

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Incredible. Love this game

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The funniest thing is that it seems to be NA-only

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

It really does feel like the Spiderman shirt broke peoples brains with possibilities. That was a single shirt that ended up being a bit of a stretch to make a pun. All of his other shirts have been overwhelmingly straightforward -

So that is 5 shirts that are the most obvious thing and only 1 shirt that requires a stretch. The most obvious thing for a TMNT shirt is "these guys are green. Hence green mage."

Since Green Mage is a bit light on "identity" it gives them a lot of space to really make something unique. I've seen it said that FFXIV is really lacking in "nature" jobs. I hope it goes that route.

I mean Dark Knight -> Batman is about as sensible as TMNT -> Painter. It isn't like "they are named after famous artists" is particularly obscure.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

According to this reddit post, the buff cap has been increased in a few instances.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ryanbomber posted:

Pickle Rick?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Next job is just Kojin. When you change to it you model swap to a Kojin. Your limitbreak is to fly around like the adamantoise dropping bombs everywhere.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

I have made an error.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

I really only have a problem with Green Mage just because I genuinely think it would make more sense as a tank job. Cast buffs and debuffs as mitigation, then smack people with maces. Green Mage would just seem like a weird pick for Magical DPS because it's a class that literally doesn't have any damaging spells.

And sure, they could change that, but like why even pick green mage in the first place why not just make something else

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The same could be said for Sage, which has probably been used in more games than Green Mage.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If classes were bound by actual representation in the series then BRD would be nearly unusable, as an example. :allears: If it's GRN then they'll make up a bunch of stuff and theme it to what they have. Can't Blind enemies in FF14? What if you conjured up a flaying field of thorny vines that give trash in dungeons a miss chance? Etc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thundarr posted:

In a world where they changed summoner from what it was to what it is, there's very little chance they're going to add a new job that is primarily DoT-focused.

Except summoner was never a single cohesive design so they stripped the dots to focus on The Other Thing. They didn't remove the dots just because they hate dots

If they make a class that's About DoTs that would be different.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I really only have a problem with Green Mage just because I genuinely think it would make more sense as a tank job. Cast buffs and debuffs as mitigation, then smack people with maces. Green Mage would just seem like a weird pick for Magical DPS because it's a class that literally doesn't have any damaging spells.

And sure, they could change that, but like why even pick green mage in the first place why not just make something else
Cause they get to double dip on nostalgia/FF vibes while doing something fresh/their own spin.

I like the idea of "Green Mage" more then "Naturalist" or "Druid" in the context of an FF game, if it pans out as a bit of a nature-themed mage.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The same could be said for Sage, which has probably been used in more games than Green Mage.
I guess that's fair, but I still feel like "Mage that is good at both black and white magic -> Healer that can uniquely heal by doing damage" makes more sense than "Mage that buffs allies and debuffs enemies and has no offensive power -> Mage that is primarily categorized by its offensive power"

Doomykins posted:

If classes were bound by actual representation in the series then BRD would be nearly unusable, as an example. :allears: If it's GRN then they'll make up a bunch of stuff and theme it to what they have. Can't Blind enemies in FF14? What if you conjured up a flaying field of thorny vines that give trash in dungeons a miss chance? Etc.

I don't necessarily follow this logic? There aren't many examples of bard in FF but it uses songs to support allies and sometimes has access to bows, and Bard in 14 is an archer that buffs allies with songs. That totally tracks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Dark Knight -> Batman is about as sensible as TMNT -> Painter. It isn't like "they are named after famous artists" is particularly obscure.

To me, it is the difference between a direct reference and an indirect reference.

Most of his shirts have been direct references.

Batman is called the Dark Knight. Hence Dark Knight class.
Bugs Bunny is a bunny. Hence Viera race.
Scarlet Witch wears red and does magic. Hence Red Mage.

Very easy. Very direct references.

"The TMNT share names with Renaissance figures. Those Renaissance figures happen to be painters. Hence Pictomancer" is too indirect imo. Sure it's only one step removed, but again, his shirts are (save one) the most direct reference.

TMNT are green. Hence green mage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Counterpoint: Green Mage was like the worst fuckin' job in FFTA2, why not use a good job?

And give us gria, while we're at it!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The TMNT are as much green as they are named after painters, and there are more green things on shirts than there are painters on shirts.

I don't lean either way but it's silly to dismiss either based off of the clues so far.

Kyrosiris posted:

And give us gria, while we're at it!

Yeah I'd dig it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Would be funny if the clover is a total red herring and/or is related to Corsair having a "luck" aspect.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Arzaac posted:

I don't necessarily follow this logic? There aren't many examples of bard in FF but it uses songs to support allies and sometimes has access to bows, and Bard in 14 is an archer that buffs allies with songs. That totally tracks.

My logic is people saying "But Green is too limited as it has appeared in the series to make a FF14 class" are forgetting that we already have classes that were about as limited.

Would Bard be a good DPS if it had weak archery(capping out at a 1-2-3 and single oGCD) and focused almost exclusively on standing still and channeling +stats? OK OK, they can use another REALLY good oGCD as a treat but only against the undead. Or they can actively pause DPS and become intangible indefinitely to dodge boss nukes. :haw: They were traditionally an unusual or joke class. FF 10-2 was pretty wild but I don't think they had Bard as the rail gun bow mastery set up FF14 does!

Same way if Painter gets in then they'll be breathing a lot more into it than "Sketch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They've never hinted at a future job in game to this point, unless you count Gosetsu being a Samurai. I didn't put any stock into the clover.