Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Are the new Patriot and Iris-T systems being delivered one at a time coming from the proverbial assembly line? Do we know from open sources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Are the new Patriot and Iris-T systems being delivered one at a time coming from the proverbial assembly line? Do we know from open sources?

This particular article doesn't mention it, but I know from our IRIS-T that both systems came straight from assembly, as the test system delivered to the Bundeswehr wasn't ready yet anyway when the war started, so since then every new system and every new missile is supposed to go to Ukraine instead.

Edit:

I've found this German article from September, it talks about IRIS-T plans in a bit more detail:

- Current plan is to fully integrate the first IRIS-T into the Bundeswehr by October 2024
- The Bundeswehr will get more systems, the plan is 6 full systems delivered by 2027
- The article describes this pace as "blindingly fast, for the Bundeswehr"
- In Autumn 2023 a third IRIS-T will be delivered to Ukraine
- The system has so far accumulated over 110 kills, mostly against Kalibr-missiles and Shahed-drones.
- In Spring 2023 one IRIS-T killed a complete drone swarm of 13 Shaheds all at once
- Thanks to Ukrainian air defense handling the system so well, the system near Kiev managed to achieve 100% accuracy

- Diehl Defence has a hot line running to help Ukrainian forces, and the feedback from the Ukrainians is used to improve the system on the manufacturer's side
- Due to the really one-sided massacre IRIS-T is causing among Russian missiles and drones, the manufacturer can't believe their luck: They claim basically everyone in the world wants to buy the things now.

There's more, but it's about European defense in general, not Ukraine.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

So with this additional battery, Ukraine should have four full Patriots and two full Iris-T systems for defense in Winter.

What kind of actual area coverage can these systems provide? Is it like 1 system per metropolis? Larger? Only 6 systems seems rather low.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1709992559236284802?t=qseFZ91EqjA71ague3n-UA&s=19

I'm guessing this is building up to "the Ukrainians did it."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dull Fork posted:

What kind of actual area coverage can these systems provide? Is it like 1 system per metropolis? Larger? Only 6 systems seems rather low.

I couldn't find out by searching, but by going to the Bundeswehr-website and Bundeswehr on Wikipedia, I reasoned out a possible answer:

- Currently, the Bundeswehr has 14 Patriots and 3 Ozelots (Patriot Jr., but newer)
- In theory, our 138 Eurofighter Typhoon and 84 Panavia Tornados could be used in an Anti-Air role, but there will never be a scenario where all the fighter-bombers of a nation sit around doing nothing but defense. Or even a majority.
- The Bundeswehr will get 6 brand-new IRIS-T in the next few years to supplement our aging Patriots.

So, in total, Germany considers 20 main systems, 3 small systems and a bunch of fighters adequate for defending all of Germany plus helping out NATO-partners in an emergency.

In conclusion, even without looking up coverage for every single system, yes 6 (soon 7, see my last post), are definitely not enough. Of course, since every IRIS-T alone shoots down huge amounts of Russian stuff, the number of IRIS-T going up each year will probably make more and more problems for Russia.

And that's only because Russia keeps its aircraft mostly out of range of Ukrainian launchers. The longer this conflict is going on, the more painful a lesson will the Russian Airforce have to pay if Putin ever loses patience and puts a very loyal but excessively stupid general in charge who goes all-in. A system capable of wiping out 13 small, nimble drones in one go will probably wipe out entire squadrons of Russian aircraft the same way, if the Russian Airforce ever gets that level of desperate.

Edit:

Added a source, and rewrote the first paragraph to make me look less stupid. :lol:

Edit 2:

How the hell did I forget to add the number of Tornados?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 5, 2023

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

I'd be unironically fine if Ukraine did do it, the man was responsible for who knows how many warcrimes in Bakmut, and destroying the enemy's military leadership at any opportunity is a key part of combat.

But really, investigation finds grenade fragments with "From Putin with Love" scribbled on them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think Budanov could throw a grenade that far.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

I don't think Budanov could throw a grenade that far.

That's what the RC drone is for.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Slightly more seriously, the plane lost a wing and part of its tail. I guess if a grenade takes out the pilot, maybe the plane turns in a manner that breaks these pieces off... but the SAM solution still seems more likely.

Or why not both. Putin hits his remote-grenade-under-the-seat button, isn't confident it did the job, so orders a SAM hit just to be sure.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The SAM hit caused the grenade in his luggage (very lucky dud, failed to explode!) to go off at the same time. Clearly, the fault here lies with NATO because

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Libluini posted:

- The system has so far accumulated over 110 kills, mostly against Kalibr-missiles and Shahed-drones.
- In Spring 2023 one IRIS-T killed a complete drone swarm of 13 Shaheds all at once
- Thanks to Ukrainian air defense handling the system so well, the system near Kiev managed to achieve 100% accuracy [/b]

:hellyeah:
That rules

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

The SAM hit caused the grenade in his luggage (very lucky dud, failed to explode!) to go off at the same time. Clearly, the fault here lies with NATO because

Prigo also failed to grab a chute when he miraculously bailed out, but a Ukrainian sniper popped him twice in the back of the head on the way down anyways.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Snowman_McK posted:

War on the Rocks had a guest recently who talked about this, pointing out just how many things has to consider on how many timeframes. It was both very interesting and also he sounded exactly like 90s era Joe Pesci. It was uncanny.
That was Stephen Kotkin and he is great. His book Armageddon Averted is a great brief summary of the downfall of the Soviet Union.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Dull Fork posted:

The IRIS-T SLM variant that Ukraine received has a range of ~40 km.
The Patriot with the PAC-3 CRI missile has a range of at least 70 or so km.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Prigo also failed to grab a chute when he miraculously bailed out, but a Ukrainian sniper popped him twice in the back of the head on the way down anyways.

smh more Ukrainian war crimes

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

"German government officials are also said to have expressed concern that Taurus cruise missiles could be used to hit the Kerch Bridge." is a sentence that just blows my mind.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 5, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

beer_war posted:

"German government officials are also said to have expressed concern that Taurus cruise missiles could be used to hit the Kerch Bridge." is as sentence that just blows my mind.
Reading some other articles, apparently the fear is Russia's reaction if a Taurus missile destroys something "they are so proud of".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm guessing this is building up to "the Ukrainians did it."
Per random Russian blogs, this is building up to "someone got drunk and coked up and started tossing grenades around".

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

beer_war posted:

"German government officials are also said to have expressed concern that Taurus cruise missiles could be used to hit the Kerch Bridge." is a sentence that just blows my mind.
Yeah, it's why I triple emphasized it. Like, THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!

However, I do find it interesting that apparently the French and the British are explicitly setting the target coordinates of the various cruise missiles they provided. Has the Kerch bridge been hit by anything from Western delivery? Do they maybe also have the same fears? Or have they already shown that those fears are stupid?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I could see Prigozhin or his second in command just having a grenade on hand in their luggage. I don't know if a plane crash would set off a grenade but I could see a plane crash mixing grenade pieces with bodies. Depends how much work "fragments of a grenade" is doing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One thing I don't understand is why putin feels the need to deny his actions. Like, you're powerful. You had him killed. You can just own it and say so.

It doesn't even help you because the net effect is to create an atmosphere where nobody believes anything you say at all.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Per random Russian blogs, this is building up to "someone got drunk and coked up and started tossing grenades around".

Oh Putin himself is tossing this one around it seems:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1709984130207793279?s=20

I don't speak Russian, no subs on this one, there's a breakdown in the tweet thread but obviously I can't confirm it's accuracy. But if that's what he's saying then we've got a new fun version of the Putin defenestration:

Just because we are the warcrime-ing heads of a PMC doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak coked-out grenade on a plane accident.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Glad they decided to go with the most ridiculous version, The Macgruber

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I don't understand is why putin feels the need to deny his actions. Like, you're powerful. You had him killed. You can just own it and say so.

It doesn't even help you because the net effect is to create an atmosphere where nobody believes anything you say at all.

Spook brain
He hides his wife and child, denies the identities of his adult daughters, always goes with the complicated legend for every event and every decision because everything needs to be obscured - either because he enjoys it or because it is a pathology.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 5, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Being able to lie shamelessly is also an exercise of power?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

There's always someone dumb enough to believe the lies, or cynical enough to use them to further their own arguments. We don't believe Putin's obvious lies, but we're not the target audience.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OddObserver posted:

Yeah. Being able to assert that black is white and up is down, and compel everyone to nod their head in agreement with you, is a pretty effective demonstration of your power.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OddObserver posted:

Yes, but such a shallow, shortsighted one. "I can lie and nobody punishes me for it" like a literal toddler's dream of what power is.

Reminds me of Trump's vision of luxury dining as all the McDonald's you can eat.

Just no vision of anything beyond the most tawdry, shallow power imaginable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Xander77 posted:

If we're to take the grenade explanation seriously (sounds pretty dumb to me) I expect it would be more like "someone got drunk and coked up and a argument ensued, which lead to someone pulling a grenade out as a threat, which due to the impairment of those involved did not go as they planned" (because moments later a missile struck the plane)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Outrageous, needless lies is both cause and effect of power abuse. The kind of person who does it and can't help but do it are also the kinds that will use any and all methods to gain power, and lying happens to be sadly a historically good way to do that. And then yes, for someone like Putin who knows the game he's playing, continuing the disinformation on all fronts at all times both helps cement power, create apathy, and is a power move that the sycophants adore.

Notice how much of an overlap there is with Putin and Trump here. Trump didn't buy Putin's playbook, he's been playing it all his life, but he sure loved it when Putin came along singing the same tune. Hopefully we'll know someday just how much of a collaboration effort it's been between the 2, but any level would not surprise me.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yes, but such a shallow, shortsighted one. "I can lie and nobody punishes me for it" like a literal toddler's dream of what power is.

Reminds me of Trump's vision of luxury dining as all the McDonald's you can eat.

This is why he enjoyed company of Trump and Berlusconi - also brazen liars that he probably envied because they could show luxury in public but he is commited to hiding even personal wealth.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

I don't speak Russian, no subs on this one, there's a breakdown in the tweet thread but obviously I can't confirm it's accuracy. But if that's what he's saying then we've got a new fun version of the Putin defenestration:

Just because we are the warcrime-ing heads of a PMC doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak coked-out grenade on a plane accident.
Doesn't seem too farfetched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFYuhMAy7j0
/sarcasm

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 5, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Donald Trump was elected President of the United States, and Putin is the longstanding ruler of Russia. There are a lot of people who will follow the shallow power that embracing lies offers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the many answers on podcasts and books, thread.

I remember when sections of the internet went absolutely wild over Putin bringing a big dog for a meeting with a world leader who was afraid of dogs (possibly Merkel) when it's such a little kids idea of a power move. There's that saying that power doesn't corrupt, it reveals and it turns out a lot of people who seek out dictatorial power are kind of developmentally stunted.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
It was Merkel yeah.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Being about to parrot incredibly obvious lies is a key part of totalitarianism. My family still has a book dedicated to the Ceaucescus attributing various inventions to them, incredible scholarly abilities etc. not too far off from North Korean style propaganda.

How can you rebel against something capable of warping your reality so vividly?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

It's more nuanced than that. As defined by Harry Frankfurt they're not lies, they're bullshit. A liar cares enough about the truth to hide it, the bullshitter doesn't give a drat.

Bent Flyvbjerg originally wrote on this in the context of urban planning, but the principle applies here as well:

quote:

Proposition 1: Power defines reality
Power concerns itself with defining reality rather than with discovering what reality “really” is.
---
Proposition 3: Rationalization presented as rationality is a principal strategy in the exercise of power

Theoreticians in philosophy and science often present rationality as independent of context; for example, in universal philosophical, ethical, or scientific imperatives. Recent examples are Jürgen Habermas’s “theory of communicative rationality” and “discourse ethics”. If the imperatives are followed, the result will be rational and generally acceptable actions, or so the theoreticians claim. However, empirical studies have shown rationality to be a discourse of power. Rationality is context-dependent, the context often being power. Rationality is penetrated by power, and it becomes meaningless, or misleading, to operate with a concept of rationality in which power is absent.
---
Proposition 4: The greater the power, the less the rationality
---
One of the privileges of power, and an integral part of its rationality, is the freedom to define reality. The greater the power, the greater the freedom in this respect, and the less need for power to understand, how reality is “really” constructed. The absence of rational arguments and factual documentation in support of certain actions may be more important indicators of power than arguments and documentation produced.
---
Proposition 8: In open confrontation, rationality yields to power
---
In an open confrontation, actions are dictated by what works most effectively to defeat the adversary in the specific situation. In such confrontations, the use of naked power tends to be more effective than any appeal to objectivity, facts, knowledge, or rationality, even though feigned versions of the latter, that is, rationalizations, may be used to legitimize naked power.

The "firehouse of falsehoods" tactic employed by the Kremlin is so effective because you can't debate an opponent who has no commitment to objective reality. There are also few greater displays of power than having everyone go along with obvious bullshit.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Koos Group posted:

You are currently threadbanned and will need to appeal that with me if you wish to post.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying you're threadbanned for that post, which had nothing wrong, but that you were already threadbanned some time ago.

There's plenty wrong in that post, though. Neurolimal's gimmick was trying to make the case that if Slavs are not reigned in by Russia, then they'll want to go to Nazism, so the world needs to accept that Russia needs to keep those Nazi-prone Slavs in line. Neuro even made the claims that "Poland" built death camps and "Poland" is engaging in revisionism in some pretty sweeping blanket statements.

It parallels in some way Bush's War on Terror, where Muslims were painted as Terrorists by default, and that any opposition to the US meant wholesale support of terrorism. It's really not all that different from Russia saying they need to "denazify" (much like "deradicalize") every country that slipped from their sphere of influence in the past ~100 years, implying that anyone who opposes Russia's war is a Nazi sympathizer.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 5, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Isn't the whole governing style in Russia to lie, deny, and flood the airwaves with misinformation so much that people just give up on even trying to get politically involved?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orthanc6 posted:

It's how dictators get their kicks. You know he's full of poo poo, he's knows you know he's full of poo poo, he smirks at the camera and goes "It drowned :)"

Edit - wow. loving beaten like a dead horse.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1710066489242386863

Surprised something like this hasn't happened more often. Or maybe it has and I just never heard about it because it's expected now.