Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just got my first trophy of the set with this pile. I'm still in low tiers so it isn't that exciting, but I'm bad so I'm happy. I think the deck is objectively pretty solid, too (that bruiser got cast exactly never, haha)

Unfortunately it looks like a version mis-match means the draft log wasn't saved, but I felt like I was in a decent lane and I'm especially happy with my decision to splash, which I'm usually a little afraid to do; luck definitely played a role, but I only stumbled on my colors once or twice (and it didn't cost me the games) and Regal Bunnicorn was drawn a lot. Absolutely the MVP. The swings of life that come with that are terrifying - tempting apple their only blocker, swing with my board for a surprise lot of damage won a couple games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IDK about anyone else but RW seems to be my poo poo in this set, when I don't get some massive game ending bomb it's my most common route to victory, and it has a few explosive combos that can knock out a huge amount of damage out of nowhere with Double Strike.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive been trying to make lotus combo work without hidden strings and it sort of does as long as opp doesnt have stomp or fatal push or march but it turns out 80% of decks have stomp or fatal push or march

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I'm gonna miss this festival, I had a great time getting fast wins with a deck that might as well have been rareless. One more day I guess

Deck
4 Cacophony Scamp (ONE) 124
4 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
4 Hammerhand (DMU) 129
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
4 Free from Flesh (ONE) 131
4 Ancestral Anger (VOW) 142
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
19 Mountain (NEO) 290
4 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
4 Raze the Effigy (MID) 156
4 Electrostatic Infantry (DMU) 122

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Anyone pilot Golgari mid-range in Standard? The deck looks fun but whenever I’m matched against it I beat it. I’m thinking about crafting it.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

imagine dungeons posted:

Anyone pilot Golgari mid-range in Standard? The deck looks fun but whenever I’m matched against it I beat it. I’m thinking about crafting it.

I’ve been playing it in Standard and it’s fun but feels like I lose a lot. I was up in Plat and now I’m back down in Gold after reset. I think my list needs some tweaking. I haven’t tried the Turtle yet, but Virtue of Persistence has been underperforming for me at 7 mana due to how much GY hate I run into. The two mana sorcery is fine. Graveyard Trespasser and Sheoldred are great of course. Man land is fun but seems slightly too slow against mono red, even though the food should take over the game.

I love Glissa as a card so much but she eats so much removal or gets chump blocked.

You’re just big enough / lack enough life gain to lose to mono red consistently, and then your finishers lose to Enchantments/Control.

Gotta go really fast to get under control.

Seems like an even matchup against Esper legends, just kind of depends on who draws removal and Sheoldred at the relevant time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Turtle is great, even though I don't think I've hit a land drop off the first ETB in a game ever

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

space uncle posted:

I’ve been playing it in Standard and it’s fun but feels like I lose a lot. I was up in Plat and now I’m back down in Gold after reset. I think my list needs some tweaking. I haven’t tried the Turtle yet, but Virtue of Persistence has been underperforming for me at 7 mana due to how much GY hate I run into. The two mana sorcery is fine. Graveyard Trespasser and Sheoldred are great of course. Man land is fun but seems slightly too slow against mono red, even though the food should take over the game.

I love Glissa as a card so much but she eats so much removal or gets chump blocked.

You’re just big enough / lack enough life gain to lose to mono red consistently, and then your finishers lose to Enchantments/Control.

Gotta go really fast to get under control.

Seems like an even matchup against Esper legends, just kind of depends on who draws removal and Sheoldred at the relevant time.

I tried an early list in bo1, and it was thoroughly unimpressive. At the last standard PT it was classic Golgarbage, 50% win rate against the field.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

I tried an early list in bo1, and it was thoroughly unimpressive. At the last standard PT it was classic Golgarbage, 50% win rate against the field.

Yeah agreed. it’s a middling deck with an incredibly high skill floor to even get medium tier performance out of, and not a lot of room to flex skill into an outright advantage. If Reid Duke isn’t on the golgari deck for an event you probably shouldn’t be either

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Two trophies with some bombs so then I follow it up with a very mid BG deck that goes 0-3 because it doesn't do anything.

Then I draft a weird one.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/c8b9365071714bc69e29fe78fee3a1a3

MonoB splashing Gruff Triplets? Normal deck.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

imagine dungeons posted:

I play it in bo3 and I rarely lose, though I also don't really grind to high ranking. I mostly hover around platinum because I don't really play much constructed. G1s can be rough but post board matches all feel pretty favourable to me. I would probably lose a lot more in Mythic. I like the deck though.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about the deck?

code:
Deck
3 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
5 Swamp (NEO) 298
5 Forest (NEO) 302
2 Graveyard Trespasser (MID) 104
4 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
2 Sheoldred's Edict (ONE) 108
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
2 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
2 Cut Down (DMU) 89
3 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
1 Tear Asunder (DMU) 183
4 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
4 Llanowar Wastes (BRO) 264
2 Mishra's Foundry (BRO) 265
3 Glissa Sunslayer (ONE) 202
2 Lord Skitter, Sewer King (WOE) 97
3 Virtue of Persistence (WOE) 115
3 Blossoming Tortoise (WOE) 163
4 Mosswood Dreadknight (WOE) 231
4 Restless Cottage (WOE) 258

Sideboard
1 Outland Liberator (MID) 190
3 Duress (STA) 29
2 Cut Down (DMU) 89
1 Pilfer (DMU) 102
1 Outland Liberator (MID) 190
2 Tear Asunder (DMU) 183
1 Phyrexian Arena (ONE) 104
2 Nissa, Ascended Animist (ONE) 175
1 Breach the Multiverse (MOM) 94
1 The End (WOE) 87

That's my list currently, sideboard could use a little tweaking probably.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

got some chores tonight posted:

Two trophies with some bombs so then I follow it up with a very mid BG deck that goes 0-3 because it doesn't do anything.

I think you misclicked and put Rootrider Faun in your deck.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Wezlar posted:

I think you misclicked and put Rootrider Faun in your deck.

almost certainly included to provide another pip for the triplets cost

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

got some chores tonight posted:

Went 7-1, lost a game because I kept a terrible hand. (The games were too easy so I decided to raise the difficulty to CharlieFoxtrot level (two swamps, all three drops on the play did NOT work out)). Saw Gruff Triplets twice; I top decked it once in a position where the Lord Skitter's Butcher in hand won on the spot, and once in a game where I had one forest all game.

Rats >>> Goats.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My experience with Gruff Triplets has been the same - only drawing it in games that were winning without it.

I saw it a lot in unkeepable hands that I mulliganed away though!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ive been trying to make lotus combo work without hidden strings and it sort of does as long as opp doesnt have stomp or fatal push or march but it turns out 80% of decks have stomp or fatal push or march

shouldn't you be playing proctor on turn 3 and then immediately play lotus field? there's no opportunity to kill it before its trigger goes off

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I dunno what the deal was but I played against so fuckin many Golgari decks the last two days. So tedious.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Last loving loss of this run due to not finding a single goddamn loving mountain out the 8 in my deck until Turn loving 8 when I've got nothing left on the board and facing lethal.

So loving tilted.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Welp, got a 2-3, making it my first losing record. Figures that'd happen on one of the few drafts I felt good about. Upon reflection, I do think that I was a little too light on creatures.

I made another inexplicable error in my last game where I attacked with a Spearguard that I definitely should have left back to block a Mintstrosity. I knew it the moment I hit attack. I also missed the triggered ability on Totentanz in the same game, but that was a little less egregious. (I also made some errors in the games I won of course, but they weren't as egregious).

Something about playing aggro is messing with my mind, making me rush all my decisions. I think it's also why I misplayed many of the removals in previous losses. I see a removal line up with a creature and just fire it off without a second thought. I know that playing a fast deck does not mean having to play fast, but for some reason it really tripped me up on this run. Definitely something I'm gonna have to work on.

I've had only had winning records up to now (granted mostly in bronze and silver), so getting taken down a peg or two was probably warranted and healthy. I'm definitely enjoying getting into limited!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For arena's fifth anniversary, you get a single wildcard, a rare, 5k xp, and some other random stuff. At least it's something I suppose

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

drainpipe posted:

Welp, got a 2-3, making it my first losing record. Figures that'd happen on one of the few drafts I felt good about. Upon reflection, I do think that I was a little too light on creatures.

I made another inexplicable error in my last game where I attacked with a Spearguard that I definitely should have left back to block a Mintstrosity. I knew it the moment I hit attack. I also missed the triggered ability on Totentanz in the same game, but that was a little less egregious. (I also made some errors in the games I won of course, but they weren't as egregious).

Something about playing aggro is messing with my mind, making me rush all my decisions. I think it's also why I misplayed many of the removals in previous losses. I see a removal line up with a creature and just fire it off without a second thought. I know that playing a fast deck does not mean having to play fast, but for some reason it really tripped me up on this run. Definitely something I'm gonna have to work on.

I've had only had winning records up to now (granted mostly in bronze and silver), so getting taken down a peg or two was probably warranted and healthy. I'm definitely enjoying getting into limited!

You already identified this so I’m really not trying to beat you up, but 14 creatures is very light for a deck that is ostensibly the beatdown in every matchup (except against rg where you should be looking to play more as a combo deck). Itt I have seen people putting gnawing crescendo into lists that have less than 14 creatures pretty regularly and that’s going to tank win% by a large amount.

With ashiok in this deck I think you build it like a normal br archetype and sometimes you just win because on turn 5 you drop it onto the board. I’m not saying you did this, but a common thing is for people to open up a planeswalker and then build a defensive deck to “protect it.” In limited I would just continue drafting and building normally and have the “I win” button on reserve

Edit: miscounted number of creatures initially but 14 is still too low

Time fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 6, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you have an insane bomb you really want a deck that's still going to win the games where you don't draw it, instead of winning even harder in the games that you do.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Thanks for the feedback! I actually wasn't trying to build around any of the bombs. The problem is just that I am just too enamored with good removal. For example, the P3P9 Cut In was probably too much given how much I already had. I think it's because people tell you to prioritize those when you start learning about drafting.

This actually gets to a question I have. I have no good base-rates for amount of removal and creature spells in decks. So for a beat down deck, approximately what is the range of number of creatures and removal that I should be shooting for?

Edit: and maybe for midrange and control if possible?

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 6, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My kingdom to go agaisnt a RDW deck that doesn't get Kumano Faces Kakkazan on the first turn

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think that's the fourth enemy Gruff Trips and the second or third enemy Hellkite I've seen this set.

God I hate bomby sets.

E: bitterblossom number three now.

gently caress's sake.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I just played some Mythic rear end in a top hat who dropped Decadent Dragon, Redcap Gutter Dweller, and then sure why not a Realm-Scorcher Hellkite just for kicks. Nice pulls

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

resistentialism posted:

shouldn't you be playing proctor on turn 3 and then immediately play lotus field? there's no opportunity to kill it before its trigger goes off

yeah thats the lotus uw control play pattern but im talking about the pioneer combo archetype version where you use lotus and cheap untap effects to infinite mana your way into second sun/omniscience/peer etc. in pioneer you have hidden strings to untap your lotuses without much interaction available to your opponent. in explorer without hidden strings you have to use creatures to untap the lotuses but they can be killed easily so its less reliable

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I've been using Golgari lately in standard ranked, but just a toxic deck I put together rather than the midrange one with Sheoldred. Hopefully I can at least reach plat with it! Only just got to gold.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I just keep going back to Azorius soldiers. I think I’ve been playing basically the same deck for 6 months now.

I don’t even follow an intelligent deck list, I have a bunch of nonbos like Thalia + Soul Partition, Coppercoat + Myrel, Coppercoat + Valiant Veteran. Deck still slaps. I feel like you have to mulligan for either Dennick or Thalia for T2 or mono red always kills you, but stabilizing is actually possible.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I think that's the fourth enemy Gruff Trips and the second or third enemy Hellkite I've seen this set.

God I hate bomby sets.

gently caress's sake.

It's really not that bad. Stop counting things like this there is literally no point beyond finding a reason to be angry.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was playing some HBrawl with Tinybones and finally got to show the youngsters the horror of T1 Dark Ritual Necropotence.

Yes opponent, it is indeed "Nice!"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Entirely anecdotal, but feel like board wipes are back in vogue. Felt like there was a good couple summer months where only Sunfall was prominent but I'm hitting frequent games where people are packing that, White Sun's Zenith, Wandering Emporer, and Farewell.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Reached Plat after an insane BRO QD match which went down to decking on the turn they had lethal with an unearthed Scrapwork Rager they had played in the same turn, drew a Powerstone Fracture off, then sac'd; however, the Fracture was their last card in the deck. We both were at 2. What a loving match. To cool down and do something rank-agnostic, I did a WOE Trad Draft for a change.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/68af1187cbf9475aa74289e41976acaa

I've never seen Black so open - P2P11 Feed the Cauldron, could have had three Candy Grapples had I not been tempted by the rare, even super late Barrow Naughty pickups which feels like it never happens anymore. Wasn't sure if G or W was my secondary - had some arguments for both - but a second Greta convinced me to not just splash G (for two Agatha's Champions and the first Greta) but to have it as a definite second main, which also allows me to play Rootrider Faun. With that, the Return from the Wilds and a single Plains for it to search, I can also hope to cast the Sugarmaw's Adventure, why not.

My build atm:

Now the real question is, if I'm splashing W anyway, should I replace a card like e.g. Rowan's Grim Search with one of my good W pickups, like Archon's Glory or the Celebrant? Or should I rather not splash W, and instead play Tabby, Not Dead After All and/or Collector's Vault? Open for discussion, I'm not playing anymore today.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wreMlc9GM

Card of the Day: Collector's Vault
A niche card. It has generally bad stats (52% all players, 56% top players). Alex is covering this card because LSV and one of the Lords of Limited say they play this card.

It fixes your mana for multicolor decks. Looting decreases variance. It enables artifact and graveyard synergies.

If you are in a control/grindy archetype, it is a better fit. It is very bad when under pressure. You need to be able to activate it 4 or 5 times to get full value.

For solely fixing, Prophetic Prism or the lands are better especially if you only have one splash color. Filtering is better with white scry, for example.

Where to play vault: You have to have cheap interaction or a sweeper to keep pressure off. You need to be in a 4 or 5 color deck. You need other great cards like Tough Cookie or Grabby Giant that want artifacts or things in the graveyard. Elvish Artificer cares about artifacts, Syr Ginger cares about artifacts going to the graveyard. X spells like Ingenious Prodigy or Song of Totentanz benefit from a lot of treasures. Devouring Sugarmaw eats the treasures. Go off the deep end with Lich-Knights' Conquest or Food Fight lmao?

An example of a deck where Collector's Vault worked:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

thespaceinvader posted:

God I hate bomby sets.

gently caress's sake.

I’ve probably played like 50-60 drafts in this format and I just found out yesterday that Bitterblossom is in this set; I’ve never seen one in a draft or played against it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Entirely anecdotal, but feel like board wipes are back in vogue. Felt like there was a good couple summer months where only Sunfall was prominent but I'm hitting frequent games where people are packing that, White Sun's Zenith, Wandering Emporer, and Farewell.

I've definitely been considering Wipes dot Deck lately.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm not actually seeing farewell too often, if somebody thinks they need more than sunfall i think i see depopulate more often than I do farewell

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Slightly weird draft. Talion seems nuts but do I wreck my manabase just to fit it in? I really wanted Ash to work but the white just wasn't there and it doesn't seem a good splash card.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Between treasures and prism and grotto you can probably splash talion with one or even zero islands, and it's probably worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

thespaceinvader posted:

Between treasures and prism and grotto you can probably splash talion with one or even zero islands, and it's probably worth it.
I agree with this. Just don't play any Islands, it'll work out

7-2! A nailbiter of a deck - I almost always was behind, had to react, did a lot of double-spelling but I don't have many cantrips so e.g. in the last match I had 2 cards (one of them a land) and they had 6 (one of them bounced). Statue is absolutely loving busted tho, and two of them is just unfair.

Special shout-outs to the loss where neither me or the opp did much for like 10 turns, and I drew exactly one creature during that time (which they killed), had to play almost all my noncreature spells before finally getting the two Roc Hunters (well I could have imagined a better creature or three), then I drew an Archaeologist with like 9 cards in the library, and milled...three lands. Good poo poo