Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

Despite stating they do on the website, Walgreens does not carry novavax and have no plans to do so, so it's back to hoping the two hour round trip to the county health office will work out.

Tools.

Nice govt worker says they might could maybe find one in Seattle perhaps and to call back tomorrow.

Tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Saw this thing about 5G brain worms wireless worm brains and all i could think of was... vaxxed?

quote:

One of the most striking findings to emerge from these experiments is a form of functional connectivity undetectable in the anatomical maps: extrasynaptic communication. Dense vesicles containing neuropeptides, monoamines or other neurotransmitters are released from parts of the neuron outside the synapse, where they then diffuse through the extracellular space onto receptors on surrounding cells. While these signals had been previously observed, they weren’t expected to play a major role in neural dynamics. The new findings indicate that they’re actually quite prevalent throughout the worm brain and contribute significantly to short-term neuronal activity, which implicates them in a wider range of behaviors than previously thought.

Such ‘wireless’ signaling is just one way that functional connections differ from what the neuroanatomy predicts, Leifer says. “But we’re also learning what features make structure and function more similar or more different.” For example, in a subnetwork of neurons in the worm pharynx that shows less extrasynaptic signaling, researchers saw better agreement between circuit structure and function.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Computer Serf posted:

don’t forget the population wide cumulative brain damage :milk:
during a heated election cycle :freakout:

I dunno if it was on one of these threads or in a Covid-aware Tweet, but there was a theory going around that the effects of the Influenza pandemic in the 1920s led to the rise of Fascism in Germany and Spain.

Farfetched, yes, but *gestures around*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bizwank posted:

Some boomer just let me know that I'm the last shop in the world that's still requiring masks. I guess COVID really is over

Take off your mask to vomit on them

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The connection was with how many people were disabled and a lot of the eugenics loving regimes including america were trying to do everything possible to cull people who weren't productive members of society according to capitalism.

https://bsky.app/profile/neilhimself.neilgaiman.com/post/3kazenli7ql2y

Neil Gaiman got COVID again. I enjoy some of his writing and hope it doesn't turn to mush.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
This get posted yet lol
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/ot...8302309fcd&ei=9

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That appears like MSN just reposted an article from when she had it a month or two ago? Best part of which was Biden openly mocking the idea of wearing a mask after being exposed, which was, you know, a cool thing for the president to do.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
yeah due to how hosed up the algos are these days - always check the actual dates on stuff because i've seen poo poo float back up to the top from like a year ago for no other reason than I assume something got parsed and was popular

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
God damnit it said 2 hours ago at the top. Oh well.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nobody else is reporting this that I can find, pretty sure this is just about when she got it a month ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m testing negative but still have a dry cough, wheezing and fatigue lol. What a great disease

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

euphronius posted:

I’m testing negative but still have a dry cough, wheezing and fatigue lol. What a great disease

testing positively toward the negative!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

The connection was with how many people were disabled and a lot of the eugenics loving regimes including america were trying to do everything possible to cull people who weren't productive members of society according to capitalism.

I mean, we are already halfway if not 5/6th of the way there right now. Just ask the average person about the homeless.

It's going to really suck when the mass disabling starts. A coworker who was out sick for a entire week is back at work and hoo boy he looks terrible! He's been talking about how his body is a wreck and he's not even sure if he can manage to keep his working schedule

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
update to my coworker's "beef stew induced cough": he has no decided it's a stress related cough and is taking a half day to see a doctor.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NeonPunk posted:

I mean, we are already halfway if not 5/6th of the way there right now. Just ask the average person about the homeless.

It's going to really suck when the mass disabling starts. A coworker who was out sick for a entire week is back at work and hoo boy he looks terrible! He's been talking about how his body is a wreck and he's not even sure if he can manage to keep his working schedule

It's already started it just hasn't reached unignorable levels yet. The question is just how bad it'll get - we still don't know a lot about the impact of getting COVID over and over yet and whether long COVID is something that different parts of the population are more or less resistant to.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

update to my coworker's "beef stew induced cough": he has no decided it's a stress related cough and is taking a half day to see a doctor.

Stress related cough?

Maybe if he’s stress smoking a pack a day…

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
oh wow the experts have never heard of a psychogenic cough

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I start coughing whenever I eat something really salty. even thinking about it starts making me cough

granted I fully realize this is entirely psychosomatic, and I don't use it to excuse actual COVID symptoms..

but like, beef stew cough? sure, I'll keep listening

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

tbh living in plagueworld is pretty stressful

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NeonPunk posted:

A friend of mine got fired after his 2nd bout of covid left him constantly sick for 6 months afterwards.

He was then almost immediately evicted and getting on any state help took him over a month+.

poo poo is not good out there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Regarde Aduck posted:

oh wow the experts have never heard of a psychogenic cough

I find it unlikely that there is a psychological condition that the experts you’ve met are not familiar with.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/fart/status/1709823459205980289?t=pprVsRBocNWBpV-CFcS5Hg

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

Stress related cough?

Maybe if he’s stress smoking a pack a day…

I've actually had this before. I was coughing until I thought I was gonna vomit when we were waiting to hear the ultrasound results for our cat Colin (RIP), took a lorazepam, and it almost completely went away. Not saying that that's what this dummy has, but it can be a thing.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

This chick is pretty funny.
https://twitter.com/impeachpicnic/status/1709924090247577714

https://twitter.com/impeachpicnic/status/1709571932872388750

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That basically happened to me because I was sleeping with my phone next to my pillow.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

my wife has the same issue you've got iirc and she's currently in insurance hell trying to swap her Stelara from UPMC to Cigna. She's also hiding how lovely it is from me because she suggested I make the job change and doesn't want me to feel bad about it even though I can hear and see her getting stuck on the phone for hours

america kicks rear end so much

I’m sorry, I know that pain and I can’t believe they won’t approve Stelara for her. Isn’t her doctor managing it for her, though? What’s the issue?

I’ve had issues in the past, they didn’t want to approve Xeljanz and another drug mainly because Xeljanz isn’t approved for crohn’s by the FDA. When rinvoq came out I was able to get it and skyrizi approved and it’s clearly helped me immensely to be on two drugs. My doctor will present my case at a conference, hopefully it gets more doctors thinking about dual treatments and we’ll see more studies and trials around this which will get eh FDA off their rear end to approve combo therapy and force insurance provided to cover it.

The U.S. is loving poo poo.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Neil Gaiman got COVID again. I enjoy some of his writing and hope it doesn't turn to mush.

oh no now he'll never finish the sword fighting game lol

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Okuteru posted:

I dunno if it was on one of these threads or in a Covid-aware Tweet, but there was a theory going around that the effects of the Influenza pandemic in the 1920s led to the rise of Fascism in Germany and Spain.

Farfetched, yes, but *gestures around*

I have heard it theorized that Hitler's 'Parkinsonism ' might have in fact been Long Spanish Flu,, there were a number of similar syndromes around then.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

wait that was neal stephenson fuk

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Thoguh posted:

It's already started it just hasn't reached unignorable levels yet. The question is just how bad it'll get - we still don't know a lot about the impact of getting COVID over and over yet and whether long COVID is something that different parts of the population are more or less resistant to.

Look around in the various finance mags Marx recommended to keep an eye on what the money is thinking, and there's already a section of the money that's been freaking quietly for the last year at least.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

I have heard it theorized that Hitler's 'Parkinsonism ' might have in fact been Long Spanish Flu,, there were a number of similar syndromes around then.

They never actually figured out what encephalitis lethargica was either

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

keeping people alive sounds worthwhile, but you know what's even better, economically? not doing anything and pocketing the cash :hmmyes:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Granted, the real measurable poo poo was the effect it had on eugenics, where the gently caress did I leave those papers...

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I just got a tracking number for my Test to Treat tests, I got in after they closed normal registrations by going directly to the sign up url so if you also did that and wondered if you'd actually get them, apparently yes you will

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1710027227390455823?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Let me guess

They're angry over the phrase "sorry" as it could imply that they're doing something wrong?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
we have the tools

only if you are imminently dying though

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ sorry for the bother

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

It's canada the concern is that they're not apologizing enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS