Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When he does Jody hill shows he’s at the top of his game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the funny thing is - and as a horror fan, i shouldn't be saying this - David Gordon Green's early non-horror films are actually quite good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's like those thought experiments where people are like "what non-horror director do you want to see do a horror film?" now we know what happens when that goes wrong

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the funny thing is - and as a horror fan, i shouldn't be saying this - David Gordon Green's early non-horror films are actually quite good

It was super interesting watching old Siskel & Ebert episodes and suddenly hearing them heap praise (as in, best-of-the-year praise) on "a talented young director, David Gordon Green". My partner also actually really likes Pineapple Express.

I'm also the weirdo who thought Halloween Kills had a real sense of fun for all the cheese, too, and liked it despite feeling that there were too many deaths and it was let down by them having to make a "third" one instead of just ending it there. But I know that's not popular.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked all 3 Halloween movies , however its been well established that if you filmed 70 minutes of garbage rotting but half way through showed a cool decapitation and maybe some boobs or butt I would say that the film was "Alright".

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Ellen Ripley, Laurie Strode, Annie Wilkes.

What's some of your most influential women characters (or performances) in horror?

Do you think a strong female character should mean a film is recognised as a benefit to women representation in horror, or it's a cop out and a film should have related plot/themes, or even that a woman writer/director is essential? This is just for conversation, would love to hear some thoughts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It was super interesting watching old Siskel & Ebert episodes and suddenly hearing them heap praise (as in, best-of-the-year praise) on "a talented young director, David Gordon Green". My partner also actually really likes Pineapple Express.

I'm also the weirdo who thought Halloween Kills had a real sense of fun for all the cheese, too, and liked it despite feeling that there were too many deaths and it was let down by them having to make a "third" one instead of just ending it there. But I know that's not popular.

Halloween Kills was one of the shittiest slasher movies I've ever seen, but i mean, I definitely enjoyed it

Evil Dies Tonight! C'mon, everybody! Evil Dies Tonight!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Hausu Usher posted:

What's some of your most influential women characters (or performances) in horror?

Do you think a strong female character should mean a film is recognised as a benefit to women representation in horror, or it's a cop out and a film should have related plot/themes, or even that a woman writer/director is essential? This is just for conversation, would love to hear some thoughts.

Pamela Springsteen

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Halloween Kills was one of the shittiest slasher movies I've ever seen, but i mean, I definitely enjoyed it

Evil Dies Tonight! C'mon, everybody! Evil Dies Tonight!

evil dies tonight!!! woo!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

Heather Langenkamp is the GOAT. Her character arc from A Nightmare on Elm Street > Dream Warriors > New Nightmare is the greatest multi-film arc in horror cinema.

Ashley Laurence in Hellraiser 1 & 2 is also great, takes a rare scream queen to hold her own against the cenobites and Frank & Julia

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Pamela Springsteen

I genuinely love her performance in Unhappy Campers. She's living her best life!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
She's often overlooked Scream Queen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved Kills and Ends and think they were deliberate anti-slashers. So I remain cautiously hopeful Exorcist Believers bombs enough to go to digital before the end of the month.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t get the hate for kills. It is lovely but man it’s got fun kills and it’s stupid and finally for once Michael myers was cool like Jason!!!

But ends was horrible. Still love ya DGG but please stop doing horror movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That being said I can only deal with lovely slashers to a certain degree because thanksgiving looks like rear end.

I hate that Roth decided to try and make a “real” horror movie.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

The best thing about the Halloween reboots was it probably made a world tour viable for John Carpenter to gig with his music, and I got to see him twice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just want to know why DGG thought to do what he did for ends was okay.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like both. They are not good movies but I enjoyed my time with them. I have spent more time being baffled by the romance in Halloween Ends than I have thinking about a lot of other movies in 2022, and what is that if not a success.

I mean seriously lol, what the heck lmao

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I liked H2018 a lot. Kills was dumb but fun. Still haven’t been able to make it through Ends, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its a shame they don't make proper parody movies anymore so we can't get a send up of the DGG trilogy that fixes the romance to be between Myers and protege

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Exorcist: Believer was worth making because, since Taylor Swift's Eras Tour movie is excluded from my AMC A-List subscription, I'm going to get a ticket to Exorcist: Believer around the same time and sneak in to the TSwift movie :getin:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think that when it comes to "strong women" there's a tendency for people to go archetypal and lazy and make The Kickass One, which is something especially egregious in horror which can be the genre of the marginalized and mistreated. Horror can be extremely feminine as a genre itself - me and a lot of my friends love slashers, Clive Barker movies and Re-Animator, and more because the use of symbolism and frank depiction of violence and assault can be safe, unique ways to engage with things that scare or interest us. It's a complicated discussion, but I think most people who are especially hard on horror don't stop to consider that element. And my lesbian friends especially don't mind seeing some 80s boobs and blood every week. :)

A good female character has to have depth and agency. It's as simple as that.

Hollismason posted:

Pamela Springsteen

I just watched Unhappy Campers the other day and had an absolute ball. She was incredible. What a fun film. HOWDY PARTNER!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Hausu Usher posted:

Long before I read any sort of academic feminist analyses of anything, I read discussions online about Ripley and Sarah Connor. I was always told Ripley was a gender-neutral character in the script and just so happened to end up being a woman. Her being a female is entirely incidental to the story. Contrast with Aliens where she's got that "maternal instinct" at the forefront of everything she does. This is where Sarah comes into play. Generic Final Girl in T1 in a way, but a lot of folks felt like the intended writing of T2 was she "lost her femininity to gain strength." Obviously gender binaries are a bleh thing to talk about today but just going with what Cameron or whoever was thinking while making Judgment Day, it could be viewed as very negative; that Sarah could only gain the strength to defend her son and be "badass" by becoming more "masculine."

In short, I think it depends. There are iconic female characters written by men, iconic LGBTQ characters written by straight people, etc.. Of course you want diversity behind the scenes, too, but it's not always needed, in my humble opinion.

Speaking of Horror-adjacent media, surely X-Files and Buffy are big in this category. Scully and half of Buffy's cast were massive, massive influences on a couple generations of girls growing up.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 5, 2023

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The Hausu Usher posted:

More horror-adjacent, but Jo Harding, Rhonda LeBeck, and Ellie Sattler are probably responsible for almost every trans feeling I've ever had.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A badass protagonist of any gender grabs a giant phallic object and slams it into the villain’s head

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See I think the romance is core to what Ends is doing. It’s two people suffering from trauma who find an unhealthy comfort in each other. But while he turns to anger and violence and revenge to try and heal she flirts with it but ultimately choosing healing. One of the many details I loved was that she was a nurse since theee is a very constant theme in the Halloween movies of doctors, nurses, and caretakers. The Thorn Trilogy has one of the greatest people in slasher films, a young woman who chooses to stand by and protect Jamie not because she’s related or has any investment but just because it’s a loving kid and it’s the right thing to do.

I’ve only seen Ends once so I can’t really argue on it at length nor do I know if it will hold up on a second viewing. But I loved it and think nearly everything people hated about Kills/Ends was very deliberate choices examining the harm of violence, anger, and revenge as a response to trauma and the tropes of slashers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to see people getting hosed up not hosed up people

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I think that when it comes to "strong women" there's a tendency for people to go archetypal and lazy and make The Kickass One, which is something especially egregious in horror which can be the genre of the marginalized and mistreated. Horror can be extremely feminine as a genre itself - me and a lot of my friends love slashers, Clive Barker movies and Re-Animator, and more because the use of symbolism and frank depiction of violence and assault can be safe, unique ways to engage with things that scare or interest us. It's a complicated discussion, but I think most people who are especially hard on horror don't stop to consider that element. And my lesbian friends especially don't mind seeing some 80s boobs and blood every week. :)

A good female character has to have depth and agency. It's as simple as that.

The Kickass One became a lazy trope, joining Final Girls and Scream Queens, or as I believe Barbara Crampton said, (horribly misquoting, here) "you mean to say your lead actor in your favourite films". Not that that means I don't enjoy any of those tropes a lot of the time, it's just exhausting when a copy of a copy of a copy character archetype appears without an understanding of why it exists or why it was ever engaging. I know that I am personally pissed off whenever working class character tropes are rolled out, I did my dissertation on representations of the working class in horror, and it's a slither of the exposure women have had. Assuming this is a safe space to just spew out some thoughts without editing (after a few beers).

Not sure why I'm going off on a tangent here, considering I want to talk about positive things, but maybe my first big exposure to Kickass Women in horror was Buffy. I think Joss Whedon is an instance where a lot of people realised men known for writing strong women doesn't equal allyship (hopefully most of us Buffy OG's figured that sooner), but then does that mean there should now be a debate of how much of a positive influence the character of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was to women in horror? What about a strong performance under horrible circumstances, Tippi Hedren in The Birds or Shelley Duvall in The Shining, they delivered truly legendary efforts that were net positives for the Horror genre, but would it be right to point at those films to say they are positive examples of women in horror?

I think pointing out cool, fun and under-rated actors or roles is good - but my original post was trying to get a hold on where the starting point for a kind of pantheon of women in horror would be. Not that ranking them matters, but does anyone think The Shining is a better example than, say, We're All Going to the World's Fair or Messiah of Evil? Would a strong performance or role mean just as much as a different film that was written/directed by a woman without that element? Blood Diner! Slumber Party Massacre!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

I want to see people getting hosed up not hosed up people
That’s fine but I think Halloween has always been the odd duck slasher franchise that was more concerned with the trauma and consequence of violence than just leaning into “cool kills”. And I think DGG very much got that and was on the same track. I’m not surprised that slasher fans were dissatisfied because slasher fans have always been dissatisfied with the Halloween movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My hate for Halloween Kills is definitely a Not My Michael type argument but if I'm being honest that's just how I feel about it. The more Michael is treated like Jason the worse any given Halloween sequel tends to be and Kills just went all in on that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They did that but they had good kills for once.

I don’t like Michael myers that much compared. He’s always been kinda dull to me who’s only worked well in one movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ends rules the more and more I think about it, which has been basically weekly since release. Top 3 Halloween film ever for me at this point, definitely not ruling out it climbing higher and surpassing either the original or Season of the Witch both

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chris James 2 posted:

Ends rules the more and more I think about it, which has been basically weekly since release. Top 3 Halloween film ever for me at this point, definitely not ruling out it climbing higher and surpassing either the original or Season of the Witch both

I preferred Ends to Kills but this is absolutely psychotic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Hausu Usher posted:

Jacqueline Gibson in the Seventh Victim
Theodora in The Haunting (the 60s one)
Barbra in Black Christmas
Pearl in Pearl
Heather in Blair Witch
Julia in Hellraiser 1 and 2
Everything involving Fiona Dourif in the later Chucky stuff

there are some common trends among these (most are "unlikable", some queer, some unstable)

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 6, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have thankfully forgot about ends until I saw the trailer for exorcist beliber

I just don’t know what there is to think about. Evil is like Covid and a virus I guess and idk accidental trauma can turn you into a monster or whatever

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The reason I hated Kills is because to me, if you’re going to make an overly reverent follow up to a classic movie, shouldn’t you sit down and figure out why that movie is a classic? Was it because Carpenter and Hill created believable, relatable characters and put them in a tense situation? Was it because Carpenter did a lot with light and shadow and setting?

At any rate, Green decided people loved Halloween ‘78 because it was Halloween ‘78, so all he needed to do was ape a few iconic shots and repeat a few lines and boom.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like he nailed 2018 as a modern Halloween thing. Idk what happened or why he went weird with it. There’s something great about very simple movies sometimes.

Myers shows up starts killin and Laurie goes and takes him down. That’s all you need! But I guess he was contracted to do 3 movies so idk.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really like that i blame society movie, its kinda about this conversation and i feel like a lot of my values in regards to this topic overlapped with it~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

At any rate, Green decided people loved Halloween ‘78 because it was Halloween ‘78, so all he needed to do was ape a few iconic shots and repeat a few lines and boom.

it’s giving the “dead by dawn” bit in Evil Dead Rise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chris James 2 posted:

you know i don't even like halloween that much so maybe i should just do this opinion too as a goof to make people i encounter real life mad with anger