Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Protestant work ethic has really hosed people up. The appearance of work is valued far more than actually accomplishing tangible work ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

something like 50% of millennials and gen z live with their parents. thats like 25% of our total adult population lmfao

100% after that. A return to the mean. The era of intergenerational growth ended a long time ago and chumps are running out.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FlapYoJacks posted:

Im chillin with my boss for two weeks at his place in Sicily

are you in the mafia?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Xaris posted:

moral of the story: if you got a lifehack, never share it with anyone no matter what

Yeah, should’ve just given the colleague some money instead. Surreptitiously if socially required. Just don’t share your crimes, especially if they are good crimes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Warm welcome to our new Doomsday Economics thread IK, skooma512!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

are you in the mafia?

I wish. Those guys make way more money.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Protestant work ethic has really hosed people up. The appearance of work is valued far more than actually accomplishing tangible work ever was.

is it really protestant if japan and korea are like this too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

to be fair, america genocided, razed them to the ground, conquered, and put them under the boot of imperial control for many many decades (especially korea)

so you could say yes

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mola Yam posted:

irish police: "protestant japan and korea or catholic japan and korea?"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Protestants weren’t the only people to invent poor people working themselves to death out of a sense of social obligation, they’re just the vector for the form which affects posters here most directly, on average.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Xaris posted:

to be fair, america genocided, razed them to the ground, conquered, and put them under the boot of imperial control for many many decades (especially korea)

so you could say yes

you may be surprised to learn that the cultural quirk of "being weird about working a lot" has in fact developed independently several times, including among the various non-european societies that overwhelmingly populate the earth

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Warm welcome to our new Doomsday Economics thread IK, skooma512!

Congrats Skooma 512.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and tbh a lot of this is less "protestant work ethic", and more a result of the tension that arises when someone who buys into the Just World hypothesis to justify their unearned privilege is confronted with the reality that they are, in fact, a useless dipshit who doesn't really do anything.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Im chillin with my boss for two weeks at his place in Sicily and was about to start work because it’s almost 9am and he said “Why are you starting work so soon? The morning is nice and we aren’t even on our second cup of coffee. Nobody has messaged us so we can relax.”

European companies are awesome. 100% recommended.

Number is literally screaming and shaking and sobbing and barfing and making GBS threads

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Number is literally screaming and shaking and sobbing and barfing and making GBS threads

Good. I've been far more productive for the rest of the day so far.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

SlimGoodbody posted:

heck, same

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In a work from home environment, it blows my mind that more people don't understand this.

My favorite "transgression" are those who openly admit they took a nap. It was actually one co-workers excuse for missing a meeting! I don't understand how a lie like, "took a late lunch" or "got really engrossed in this task" aren't at their ready.

Same with being open about running errands. Not in a million years would I ever openly admit I was out getting a haircut, visiting the doctor, attending a school function, etc. There is nothing in my work day, and I suspect most people's work day that requires them to be latched to their desk from 8-5. But make it look like you are!

As someone who has developed an anti-Protestant work ethic, appearances are everything.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FlapYoJacks posted:

Im chillin with my boss for two weeks at his place in Sicily and was about to start work because it’s almost 9am and he said “Why are you starting work so soon? The morning is nice and we aren’t even on our second cup of coffee. Nobody has messaged us so we can relax.”

European companies are awesome. 100% recommended.

you're living with your boss?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

SlimGoodbody posted:

*europeans, on their sixth mandated week of vacation per year* problem???

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fits my needs posted:

At his place for a week in Sicily after two in Tuscany for a "team building event" at a villa, yeah. Next week I'll be chilling with my friend in Le Marche.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

At his place for a week in Sicily after two in Tuscany yeah. Next week I'll be chilling with my friend in Le Marche.

cool life!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AWWNAW posted:

cool life!

Dumb luck and nepotism baby. The only way to get ahead in life. :cool:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

At his place for a week in Sicily after two in Tuscany for a "team building event" at a villa, yeah. Next week I'll be chilling with my friend in Le Marche.

Give me money

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Give me money

No. Do you think I'm paying for this? lmfao.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is one of the biggest generational differences I think.

Boomers like my parents and the ones I've had to work with my entire life have this ingrained, instinctual lizard brain compulsion to WORK. If they don't work they are anxious. They will literally kill themselves working until they drop because the profit value they provide someone else they see as their value as a person. That's why the entire conversation about younger generations is how entitled and lazy they are because they won't crawl into the workings of the machinery and use their bodies to desperately squeeze out a few more dollars for the employer they have no stake in.

That poo poo seems to have died a quick death with Gen Z/Gen A. There will always be people seeking an identity and "HARD WORKING" is ingrained in our society and will never disappear completely but it's pretty obvious things have changed. If 70% of Boomers think this way its 10% of Gen Z.

My personal awakening was having a parent completely destroy themselves with a psychotic work ethic doing hard manual labor while never stopping that shattered their body and bankrupted them with dozens of surgeries. This was all to give the owner of their company an extra million or two over the 20 years they worked there so that my parent can die a slow miserable death in a trailer lecturing me for being lazy and having no future because I hop jobs every few years.

I use this story to identify which kind of person I am dealing with. If they have a problem with me saying a work ethic can be bad or that I am criticizing such a productive worker or are shocked I dared to criticize The Owners then they are brainwashed. If they know what I mean about "working smart" and "acting your wage" then we can compare notes on minmaxing the system.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

fits my needs posted:

Wait until they learn about “il piccolo boccone” that is an after lunch thing with the boss.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

fits my needs posted:

Buddykins go to the... wait, wrong thread.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

anime was right posted:

my genuine thoughts for the future is we return to a sort of 1900s level of what people own, but instead of like a set of clothes and a hat, its a washing machine. that poo poo breaks? by god you are going to repair that thing. your cell phone breaks? youre going to a vendor to have it fixed with a replacement battery that was stolen from a landfill

as new things become prohibitively expensive, people will cling endlessly to the luxuries that exist out there and have been forsaken

lol who fuckin’ owns a washing machine in this day and age

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i want in on this italy gig

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wow

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

JOBS

quote:

US nonfarm payrolls increased by 336K in September 2023, well above an upwardly revised 227K in August, and beating market forecasts of 170K. It is the strongest job gain in eight months, and well above the 70K-100K needed per month to keep up with the growth in the working-age population, signalling that the labor market is gradually easing but remains resilient despite the Fed's tightening campaign. source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

JAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1710271956761690330

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1710272675052941687

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Does the surprise surge in payroll match the surge in the cost of literally everything?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Does the surprise surge in payroll match the surge in the cost of literally everything?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Restaurant And Bar Employment Surges Back to Pre-Pandemic Levels

quote:

Jobs in restaurants and bars surged back to pre-pandemic levels in September, according to the latest nonfarm payroll data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The food-services sector and drinking places added 61,000 jobs in September, bringing it back to February 2020 levels for the first time since the pandemic spurred mass layoffs more than three years ago. Elsewhere in the hospitality sector, accommodation employment rose by 16,000 in September, but remains about 10%, or 217,000, below its February 2020 level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

anime was right posted:

if i want to buy chicken i have to eat all of the chicken in like 3 days and the smallest amount of chicken is basically too much for me. i imagine for people of similar weight to me they encounter the same problem

if i had another person to cook for it would be different, but basically its hard not to waste groceries at the scale i eat at. so i just buy fruit/veggies/snacks and then eat out like every 3-4 days. i get like 2-3 days worth of calories eating out for like 25-30 bucks so its not really that expensive for me

the math definitely changes the more people you have and cooking becomes more economical at that scale.

Trick is a vacuum sealer and a freezer.