Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
doomsday econ thread slowly devolving into a cigarette smuggling scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:stare:

NICOTINE IVE COME HOME BABY

solidarity

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Zodium posted:

guy on the spectrum whose special interest is smoking

https://vintagecigarette.com
http://www.cigarettespedia.com/index.php?title=Cigarettes_packs_exchange

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Marriage Markets gets into this but it's basically split along class lines. Educated professionals have very active dating and sex lives and then settle down into successful marriages in their 30's. For everyone else, it's chaos.

Of course, the need to demonstrate professional and educational attainment and impress someone before they swipe on to the next one is a very reasonable thing, people want stability and security in their partners, but it's also fuelling a lot of resentment. The angry young men on the internet have a point in what they're observing, they just don't understand the causes and are putting it all on women. In reality, white people are experiencing what happened to black people in the 1960's in terms of the breakdown of stable marriage, then dating relationships.

How Americans in particular process this - as it's been attributed to black race or culture - I don't know. When it happened to low-income whites after NAFTA it was attributed to their culture and character too in a way that was pretty visceral and awful and seemed to be based on them "acting like black people", to put it nicely. Now it's happening to middle class white people too.

I suppose you could look at how crack was treated in comparison to the opiate epidemic, but I don't know what conclusions to draw from that. It had the same progression across class, and in America that means racial, lines.

lol I picked this book up and :

"Marx, of course, defined class in terms of antagonism between the interests of the “capitalists,” who owned the means of production, and the workers, who depended on wages for their labor but had little ability to shape the terms of employment. Yet, Marxian notions do not apply directly to a post-industrial economy, and Marx himself did not anticipate the development of a “middle class” independent of the capitalists. Since Marx’s time, much of the discussion of class has largely been relegated to those who chart the course of financial progress in Asia, Latin American, and the rest of the developing world."

:dafuq:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Pepe is the person on this season of survivor who quit because they missed their vape too much (a real thing that actually happened)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah I was gonna say there's also like people who hand roll who get super into that

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Pepe is the person on this season of survivor who quit because they missed their vape too much (a real thing that actually happened)

sick survivor ref

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

sick survivor ref

I'm not posting for you, bitch

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spaced God posted:

I'm not posting for you, bitch

is it for all the people not quoting your posts then??

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/jennifer_rhmr/status/1710334273927172528

So where’s the recession people have been clamoring for?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mila kunis posted:

"Marx, of course, defined class in terms of antagonism between the interests of the “capitalists,” who owned the means of production, and the workers, who depended on wages for their labor but had little ability to shape the terms of employment. Yet, Marxian notions do not apply directly to a post-industrial economy, and Marx himself did not anticipate the development of a “middle class” independent of the capitalists. Since Marx’s time, much of the discussion of class has largely been relegated to those who chart the course of financial progress in Asia, Latin American, and the rest of the developing world."

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the jobs number is fake

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

the jobs number is fake

nah it's real bad

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

affordable access to smoking jobs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like the program showing that people literally don’t have enough money to work.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mila kunis posted:

whenever someone says “marxian” I know it’s gonna be some completely neutered academic nonsense that I can ignore

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Spaced God posted:

being physically addicted to something and signing up for a faux-primitive contest seems very dumb

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

I’ll give that a pass. Get some loving focaccia though. Though I don’t know if the Sicilian ones are great. What I had in Sardinia was noticeable worse than Tuscany.

Literally had Focaccia pizza today.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Zodium posted:

gonna give you cancer with my cigarettes

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

mawarannahr posted:

there's some leftist poo poo that's not translated. even works that have been translated can be helpful cause then you can compare the original. ffs

it takes a large as gently caress amount of reading and practice to get good enough and I'm busy with work and learning other languages at the same time.

Yeah I'm reading in nome Della Rosa and the name of the rose at the same time and comparing and poo poo. but it's slow going and difficult and it makes me just want to read it in English since, by the side-by-side comparison, the English translation is clearly very good. If there was a lot of good stuff I could only read in Italian I'd be much more motivated

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

I want to sell a covered call on a stock I already own, qty 100 shares x $13~ avg cost basis, and stock is currently trading at $25. I do not believe the stock is going to go down so I'm not selling, and I picked up a put w/ strike above cost basis. My intention with the covered call is I want some cash and I don't want to sell any holdings. I guess I'm wondering this: if I sell a call with a strike price higher than my cost basis, and it gets called, I'm essentially selling the stock at strike price of the call? The answer seems fairly obvious as I type this, but am trying to make sure I understand it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Centrist Committee posted:

whenever someone says “marxian” I know it’s gonna be some completely neutered academic nonsense that I can ignore

fwiw Richard Wolff describes his work as Marxian, as did Sweezy. of course they're Americans so..

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Burn Zone posted:

I want to sell a covered call on a stock I already own, qty 100 shares x $13~ avg cost basis, and stock is currently trading at $25. I do not believe the stock is going to go down so I'm not selling, and I picked up a put w/ strike above cost basis. My intention with the covered call is I want some cash and I don't want to sell any holdings. I guess I'm wondering this: if I sell a call with a strike price higher than my cost basis, and it gets called, I'm essentially selling the stock at strike price of the call? The answer seems fairly obvious as I type this, but am trying to make sure I understand it.

ignored everything after covered call, can i have some money please?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

eh I'd say it has to be on a case-by-case basis unfortunately. David Harvey is good, for example

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

im a fan of dick wolff and harvey is also good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Casey Finnigan posted:

it takes a large as gently caress amount of reading and practice to get good enough and I'm busy with work and learning other languages at the same time.

Yeah I'm reading in nome Della Rosa and the name of the rose at the same time and comparing and poo poo. but it's slow going and difficult and it makes me just want to read it in English since, by the side-by-side comparison, the English translation is clearly very good. If there was a lot of good stuff I could only read in Italian I'd be much more motivated

I'd read this book if I could. it's short https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One,_No_One_and_One_Hundred_Thousand

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

lmao I meant to post this in the BFC stock thread, but no I'm trying to make money cause I dont have any

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Burn Zone posted:

lmao I meant to post this in the BFC stock thread, but no I'm trying to make money cause I dont have any

ban this traitor

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Burn Zone posted:

here ya go op: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4043392

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
In terms of buying power modern wages are worse than the great depression.

Anyway, unrelated, but the spouses of landlords should be arrested and charged with bestiality. The landlords should be fed to wolves and other more wholesome animals.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

ban this traitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsZTFSfXaw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also, Focaccia is amazing, and it's a drat shame it's not common in the States. Shameful really.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Burn Zone posted:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

is it for all the people not quoting your posts then??

point: pepe

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Xaris posted:

lol dire

mining early Simpsons for ideas

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

no, money is for adults. try putting your binky away for a bit and we can reconsider in the future

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

fwiw Richard Wolff describes his work as Marxian, as did Sweezy. of course they're Americans so..

webcams for christ posted:

eh I'd say it has to be on a case-by-case basis unfortunately. David Harvey is good, for example

correction: anyone under the age of a hundred. agree that dick wolf and harvey are good

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

(sound)

https://i.imgur.com/Zm3Bk4J.mp4

Burn Zone has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Oct 6, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Burn Zone posted:

That sounds right.

The trade off from what you are getting (the cash from selling the right to force you to sell them the stock in question) is that you might lose out on gains if the stock keeps going up. It sounds like you're okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
I swear to Christ donating blood plasma gives people leukemia