Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’ve kinda made it my mission now to get a concrete answer from Awaken Realms about their policy on AI art. No Pun Included responded to my YouTube comment on his Lords of Ragnarok review, so hopefully his larger media presence can force an answer. I kinda kicked the hornets nest on the Dragon Eclipse campaign page and BGG forum. So many backers go into full defense mode because they’d not want to think about it or don’t care (AI bros).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
You're probably right that they're using AI. Going forward, it seems inevitable that AI is going to be, at the minimum, part of the process for commercial art projects.

The question is, how are they using it? Just dumping AI images into the final product? Creating AI and then having a human touch it up? Or pulling elements into a larger work? Or generating a ton of AI images and then using them for inspiration?

I'm not remotely an expert on this, but to my eye the cards have a more or less coherent style. Does that not suggest a heavy human involvement, even if there's AI somewhere in the process?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s trivial to have AI engines produce a large chunk of consistent files.

The heavy human involvement idea doesn’t make it much better, as at that point it’s basically them just using other artists work for 90% of the process and painting on top of it, which isn’t far from tracing and comping in various elements from other artists a la the Scythe artist that got caught doing that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Maneck posted:

I'm not remotely an expert on this, but to my eye the cards have a more or less coherent style. Does that not suggest a heavy human involvement, even if there's AI somewhere in the process?
The tells are so subtle to the average person that I end up sounding like I’m wearing the glasses from They Live and shouting to everyone that the aliens are here.
It’s just this illogical way of subjects being put together, some of the finer details on armor or object design, etc…

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
My hand sculpted zero-AI Kickstarter is still going!
*waves*

Link to the campaign is here>> http://kck.st/48nVBhI

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Those 100% look like “AI+” where the base is AI then the artist paints over some of it manually to refine it to be usable.

This game recently did the same thing and has a video in “The Art” showing how. Note how extremely similar the art looks to this AR game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/algomancy/algomancy

On the one hand yeah but on the other hand Awaken Realms art has looked like that since before AI art was much of a thing. The truth is out there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

On the one hand yeah but on the other hand Awaken Realms art has looked like that since before AI art was much of a thing. The truth is out there.

Eh, looking through Etherfields/Nemesis/Tainted Grail I'm not seeing it.

JazzFlight posted:

The tells are so subtle to the average person that I end up sounding like I’m wearing the glasses from They Live and shouting to everyone that the aliens are here.
It’s just this illogical way of subjects being put together, some of the finer details on armor or object design, etc…

I think it's safe to trust your instincts on it unless proven otherwise. And even if it turns out to not be AI generated, it's pretty damning of the artwork if it's messy enough to give that impression anyways.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bottom Liner posted:

And even if it turns out to not be AI generated, it's pretty damning of the artwork if it's messy enough to give that impression anyways.

Oh, good, let's keep putting the screws to artists that aren't involved with AI just because some people think it looks like AI art. That's definitely not indicative of a witch hunt and is totally reasonable and logical.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Saying I personally don't want artwork that looks like AI generated stuff is not a witch hunt :lmao:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Saying I personally don't want artwork that looks like AI generated stuff is not a witch hunt :lmao:

That isn't what you said, though.

You said it was safe to assume it's AI until proven otherwise, and that even if it WAS proven otherwise, it's "pretty damning" anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zurai posted:

That isn't what you said, though.

You said it was safe to assume it's AI until proven otherwise, and that even if it WAS proven otherwise, it's "pretty damning" anyway.

That's not what I said either. I told a specific poster it's safe to trust their instincts, which is the smart approach to crowd funding in general if you think something looks off. I did not give a call to action, ban the artist from Reddit, or anything else. And calling it damning is a judgement of its quality, which would apply wether AI was in the conversation or not. I don't want artwork that looks like lovely AI blobs the same as I don't want any other kind of bad artwork in games.

Is your position that consumers aren't allowed to make value judgments on the quality of artwork in a hobby heavily driven by aesthetics? The artwork in your linked article is amateurish and wouldn't earn my interest or money even if I don't think it looks like AI.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 3, 2023

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

At this point in the industry where it's becoming more prevalent by the day, companies need to clearly state their policy on AI art.
The onus is not on me, it's on them. Give me a break about AI art accusations when they've already done it without question on this S.T.A.L.K.E.R. promo video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiEZ0knxmRc

Unlike Kickstarter, Gamefound has not implemented a disclaimer on campaigns using AI generation. Surprise, Gamefound is run by Awaken Realms, so I'm not sure that will ever be a policy (if my suspicions are correct).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Unlike Kickstarter, Gamefound has not implemented a disclaimer on campaigns using AI generation. Surprise, Gamefound is run by Awaken Realms, so I'm not sure that will ever be a policy (if my suspicions are correct).

In timely related news, Backerkit just did release theirs saying that they explicitly restrict the use of AI on their platform:

https://www.backerkit.com/blog/backerkit-ai-policy/?ref=mailchimp_100223

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Is your position that consumers aren't allowed to make value judgments on the quality of artwork in a hobby heavily driven by aesthetics?

No, my position is that "just assume it's AI until proven otherwise, and gently caress them anyway if it looks close" is not a particularly well-reasoned approach to the subject and hurts artists more than the companies you're pissed off at.

I agree that there should be clear notices when AI content is involved, and companies like GameFound, Kickstarter, and so on should also have clear policies. But just going, "eh, looks like AI art, therefore I'm going to treat it as AI art even if proven otherwise" is seriously unhinged.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If it "looks close" to AI but I get a clear statement from them saying they do not use AI generation whatsoever in any part of the process, then I'll actually be fine with it.
Like, I want to back the game. I've gone all-in on a ton of Awaken Realms games. The reason I'm so fired up is specifically because I don't want to believe that a company whose games I enjoy would do this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zurai posted:

"just assume it's AI until proven otherwise, and gently caress them anyway if it looks close"

"eh, looks like AI art, therefore I'm going to treat it as AI art even if proven otherwise" is seriously unhinged.

I don't know if you are misinterpreting my words intentionally or not, but calling it unhinged is dumb as hell either way. I never said "assume its AI until proven otherwise" I said "I think it's safe to trust your instincts unless proven otherwise". Saying it's damning either way is simply saying I don't want lovely art that looks like AI could have made it. I can both accept an artist didn't use AI and still not like their work. I don't know why you are having trouble processing that.

This is somehow dumber than your argument that Slay the Spire was not a digital board game and that Gloomhaven digital was an entirely different game than physical.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 3, 2023

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

If it "looks close" to AI but I get a clear statement from them saying they do not use AI generation whatsoever in any part of the process, then I'll actually be fine with it.
Like, I want to back the game. I've gone all-in on a ton of Awaken Realms games. The reason I'm so fired up is specifically because I don't want to believe that a company whose games I enjoy would do this.

This I've got no problem with. It's 100% cool to want an answer, and it's a question that they 100% should have to answer.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
In other theft-adjacent board game news, Mythic Games, the folks behind the Darkest Dungeon and 6 Siege board games, have not yet made the previously announced second ransom demand from Darkest Dungeon backers. It was due this week. While it is technically not yet late, a couple of developments to the dumpster fire raise some interesting possibilities.

First, Redhook, publisher of the Darkest Dungeon video game and owner of the intellectual property, piped up on Reddit that they hadn't heard from Mythic Gaming about a second contribution demand:

RedhookMichaela posted:

Hello everyone.

Unfortunately we learned of Mythic's intent to ask for another contribution for the Darkest Dungeon board game only hours before everyone else. We have been discussing this internally over the last few days and are attempting to get up to speed with Mythic to better understand the situation.

Redhook paid money to defray the previous demand for contributions, even though they're just the license holder. Given that history and Redhook's desire to not have an utter disaster associated with their IP, Mythic's decision to keep Redhook in the dark is curious. Also, apparently Mythic is by the terms of their license required to obtain Redhook's approval to make significant announcements about the project. Presumably the first time around Redhook was told (as backers were) that everything was fine except for out-of-control shipping costs. In retrospect, this was obviously untrue. Unlike backers, Redhook may well be in a position to insist on an explanation before allowing the announcment.

Second, 6 Siege's printing has been delayed. Again. Mythic demanded a ransom payment from backers of that project in April, telling them it was ready to publish they just had run out of money. Six months later, the model printing has started. Paper printing has not. The last update was paper printing was supposed to start in late September. That didn't happen.

The timing on the delay is fascinating. It gives the impression that Mythic Games has again failed to manage money and needs money from Darkest Dungeon backers to get the 6 Siege game produced. A delay in making the second contribution demand could make it very obvious that Mythic can't hit print because they're out of cash, again.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

"out of control shipping costs"

A year ago. Yes. Right now? I should get an updated rate sheet this week but it's the cheapest it's been in about 2 and half years.

If they charged shipping a year ago and it's going out in the near future they should have plenty of cash.

Unless they spent it in other stuff. :thunkher:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All of this seems like a really good way to get put on some sort of "do not license your IP to these guys" blacklist.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

TheDiceBagLady posted:

My hand sculpted zero-AI Kickstarter is still going!
*waves*

Can confirm the greatness of BSG, as well as the great elements of keeping traditional sculptin’ alive and well.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

In timely related news, Backerkit just did release theirs saying that they explicitly restrict the use of AI on their platform:

https://www.backerkit.com/blog/backerkit-ai-policy/?ref=mailchimp_100223

People are talking about that like it's in stark contrast to Kickstarter's policy but if you actually read it it would absolutely allow projects like the Terraforming Mars expansion(s) (which used human beings to rework AI generated starting points) among other AI-related stuff. I guess it's slightly more restrictive than KS's "just say you're using it" though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cohorts Cthulhu Kickstarter is live.. They have a link to download quickstart rules, which is nice.

I hadn't realized until now that Doug Seacat was the writer on this. His world building was the best part of Privateer Press back when he worked for them, so I'm double excited for this now.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Really excited for Cohors Cthulhu, love 2d20 as a system and its a really fun time period to play in.

Additionally, if anyone is an Aeon Trespass sicko completist like myself. They are selling a Talespinner titan mini with rules content as a Essen and webstore thing during Essen.

https://aeontrespass.com/titans/talespinner

There is also a promo gear card you get if you order ANYTHING from their web store during Essen.

The Talespinner lost a community vote to be included in SoH, so I’m quite glad it showed up here. Again only for sickos like me, but its there.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

rydiafan posted:

Cohorts Cthulhu Kickstarter is live.. They have a link to download quickstart rules, which is nice.

I hadn't realized until now that Doug Seacat was the writer on this. His world building was the best part of Privateer Press back when he worked for them, so I'm double excited for this now.

Welp just threw some denari at the screen.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

Really excited for Cohors Cthulhu, love 2d20 as a system and its a really fun time period to play in.

Additionally, if anyone is an Aeon Trespass sicko completist like myself. They are selling a Talespinner titan mini with rules content as a Essen and webstore thing during Essen.

https://aeontrespass.com/titans/talespinner

There is also a promo gear card you get if you order ANYTHING from their web store during Essen.

The Talespinner lost a community vote to be included in SoH, so I’m quite glad it showed up here. Again only for sickos like me, but its there.

I *am* a sicko completist...but I'm not a mini-assembly or dealing with resin sicko. Annoys me that they're attaching gameplay content to what is essentially a display model.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

TheDiceBagLady posted:

I get a 403 when I click the link, please make it https and it works

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

rydiafan posted:

Is there any additional info on the 3 extra pdfs? I am wondering how many adventures are included in the 20£ and the 40£ pledges.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Edit: misunderstood, disregard

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I’ve kinda made it my mission now to get a concrete answer from Awaken Realms about their policy on AI art. No Pun Included responded to my YouTube comment on his Lords of Ragnarok review, so hopefully his larger media presence can force an answer. I kinda kicked the hornets nest on the Dragon Eclipse campaign page and BGG forum. So many backers go into full defense mode because they’d not want to think about it or don’t care (AI bros).

I think you might be right, like 90% of the cart art shown is vague, sometimes not at all on theme or connected to the name, art of nature. very little of it features the actual mystlings

I also can't see any WIP or mentions of the state of the art which is concerning. combined with the extra add ons bumping up the price and I might cancel as well...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CODChimera posted:

I think you might be right, like 90% of the cart art shown is vague, sometimes not at all on theme or connected to the name, art of nature. very little of it features the actual mystlings

I also can't see any WIP or mentions of the state of the art which is concerning. combined with the extra add ons bumping up the price and I might cancel as well...
As an experiment absolutely for demonstration purposes only, I decided to try to recreate some of the card art to see if it could get close to some of the Dragon Eclipse art. I picked "Flaming Bite" for the Emberling, which is represented by a crystal fireball for some reason (and not teeth/mouth/etc?). I just quickly guessed something like "bright crystallized fireball over ground red and orange hand-painted concept art style, shards exploding off with wisps of white flames." Here are the results:
Flaming Bite: https://i.imgur.com/j4FShud.jpg
Bing AI Image Generator: https://imgur.com/a/79baDlc

Now, it's not the exact style they used, but I'm sure they have a specific secret prompt that ensures all of the images end up looking consistent. Plus, their in-house art team would no doubt touch up the pics to make sure they fit better together. So, in my opinion, it's pretty plausible that this was the method they used.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Those pictures really make the case that its all AI art.

In other news Mythic Games finally put their update on Darkest Dungeon Wave 2. It's been crafted to seem not so bad, but even a shallow inspection reveals a pile of lies and deception. The announcement is huge, and I'll post the whole thing (apologies for the following text wall) to emphasize how much text is there without touching what's actually going on. There's a summary afterwards because, really, Mythic's update is intended to obtain money through obfuscation:

quote:

Hello, torchbearers!

As we promised you, we're happy to tell you that we’re diving into Wave 2 of Darkest Dungeon.

This new wave contains not only the missing English expansions from Wave 1, but also the full range in the various languages offered.

We're ready to launch the production process for wave 2 (i.e. the exchanges with the printer leading up to the physical printing) and we're going to give you a full update here.

Our last update, announcing the imminent opening of contributions for this wave, was meant to inform you and provide dates, but it lacked specifics, leading to several valid questions.

The current state of Darkest Dungeon and Mythic Games
Wave 1 of Darkest Dungeon has been shipped at the end of 2022/beginning of 2023 and has been very well received. Many of those who play the core set and the Crimson Court expansion are waiting to play other expansions to get the full experience.

Darkest Dungeon has 5 expansions (plus a special PvP mode expansion offered as a Stretch Goal) that offer massive combinations of locations, heroes, and monsters. No two of your campaigns leading up to the Darkest Dungeon will be the same, and you won't exhaust its content for years!

As for backers in other languages, it's finally their chance to immerse themselves in this unique game that captures the dark, sinister, and epic feel of the video game.

Wave 2 is, as you know, ready to enter production, but we used the extra time to thoroughly check the files and make any final corrections. This was done not only for the English version, but also for the localized translations.

In addition, we're happy to include a small printed bonus in this wave (previously offered as a Print & Play during Wave 1): the "Master Webber" mini expansion, a new boss featuring a spider figure from the core box, complete with all cards and associated rules. Read more about Master Webber in this update.

Rationale for the Contribution Request
As previously discussed, the combined crises of COVID and the war in Ukraine, which we did not foresee and the effects of which are still being felt, have changed the global context.

Prices have skyrocketed in all sectors, making our original estimates for the Kickstarter campaign obsolete. This project would not be proposed today at such a low price, more likely double or triple the original offer.

We've already mentioned the cost increases (50 to 100% on paper, hourly rates in China, energy, plastics, raw materials). You can review an update detailing this situation and cost evolution here . Although container prices have dropped, the other costs haven’t, in particular the cost of "last mile" shipping that has never been higher.

We unfortunately had to ask for contributions for both waves of Darkest Dungeon and we’re sorry for that. Without this, we wouldn't have been able to deliver Wave 1. This situation is similar on another project, 6: Siege which is currently in print thanks to the support of its backers who have accepted to pay the contribution enabling the game to be manufactured.

Initial Contribution request option
Given the number of items in Wave 2, we’ve analyzed the individual additional costs of each item so that everyone could calculate their contribution based on their own order.

Considering all the costs, and knowing that we won't be able to absorb some of the extra costs for Wave 2 as we did for Wave 1, here is the initial contribution breakdown (excluding last-mile postage, see below) that we calculated with our printer:

Core set: $44
Crimson Court: $34
Musketeer: $3
Heirloom Chest: $9
Dark Tapestry: $10
Darkest Organizer: $5
Darkest Heroes: $10
Darkest Compendium: $8
Color of Madness: $30
Cove: $30
Warrens: $30
Weald: $30
These prices, calculated on the basis of an individualized production of each product per language, seemed very high to us. Faced with this reality, we considered several alternative options, such as sending the language files in PDF format only, or even renouncing the request for a contribution and therefore not delivering - which would have been Mythic Games' first delivery failure, something we can’t accept, nor you. Fortunately, we've found what we hope to be an acceptable option that significantly reduces your contribution.

Revised Contribution Request: The Language Pack
Here is the best option we have found in terms of optimizing the extra manufacturing cost.

We will produce the entire product line - core set + all expansions - in English.

This increases the global quantities printed per item, resulting in economies of scale and a significant reduction in production costs.

For foreign versions, we'll create a Language Pack per language, allowing you to replace all rulebooks, cards, tiles, etc. in your native language. In the end, after a few minor manipulations, you'll have a complete game in your language.

Here's the new cost per item for this solution:

Core set: $44 —> $29
Crimson Court: $34 —> $21
Musketeer: $3 (Excluding KS backers who got it as a free gift and won’t be asked for this $3 contribution)
Heirloom Chest: $9
Dark Tapestry: $10
Darkest Organizer: $5
Darkest Heroes: $10
Darkest Compendium: $8
Greater Protection from Darkness: $5
Lesser Protection from Darkness: $3
Color of Madness: $30 —> $18
Cove: $30 —> $18
Warrens: $30 —> $18
Weald: $30 —> $18
For example, the new total for a Dungeon Pledge is $29 ($15 less than the first option), for a Crimson Pledge it is $50 ($28 less), for an Ancestral Pledge it is $122 (instead of $198). For the Ancestral Pledge and Ancestral Pledge & Bundle, il is more than $80 less than the first solution.

Of course, we understand that it is never good news to pay an extra fee, but we feel that with the language pack, the extra cost has been kept to a minimum, and that it will allow a maximum number of backers to complete their order and get their board game, in their language, with all the missing expansions.

Shipping will be added on top and is calculated separately for each pledge, depending on the geographic location to be delivered. We know that you have already paid postage fees during the PM, but even including them with the contribution we received, these fees do not cover the total additional costs and have only allowed us to reduce the need for this second contribution.

What does this mean for Wave 1 backers?
Non-English-speaking backers, who didn’t pay any contribution, knew they would have to pay it when wave 2 production would start. But for English-speaking backers who have already made a contribution, we said a year ago that it would include the Wave 2 contribution. So why do we need to ask them for a top-up? What's changed?

First of all, it's important to point out that when we asked for the shipping contribution, we had absolutely no intention of asking for more from those who had already paid. We certainly weren't asking for the difference in amount needed to cover all the extra costs we had detailed to make this delivery possible - far from it, because it seemed too enormous and we wanted to ask as little as possible of our backers. That is why wave 1 only asked for help with the shipping change.

So in order to make up for these additional costs, we had to look for all kinds of solutions. We made our calculations based on the income we could continue to generate to make up the shortfall, whether it was from game sales on our site, sales of our IPs, and so on. In addition, we reorganized and reduced a large part of the company's staff in order to significantly reduce the company's operating costs. We thought that these measures would help us get through the crisis and that we could continue, if not normal business, at least a minimum income to support normal operations and a margin to offset price increases. Unfortunately, our predictions were not correct. Admittedly, the current inflationary crisis is not helping and the board game market is not as dynamic as it used to be. The facts are simple: the contribution we received in 2022 does not fully cover what is needed for this second wave. We’re sorry for that. However, the financial part already paid during the first contribution will be deducted from the new contribution requested now for wave 2. Thus, only the additional costs and not the total costs will be requested from the backers who have already contributed in wave 1.

Here's the specific contribution for backers who have already received Wave 1:

Darkest Heroes: $10—>$7
Darkest Compendium: $8 —>$5
Color of Madness: $18 —> $13
Cove: $18 —>$13
Warrens: $18 —>$13
Weald: $18 —>$13
For example, if you have an Ancestral Pledge (Gameplay all-in) and received Wave 1, you’re paying $20 less now (and $26 less for an Ancestral Pledge & Bundle, the Premium all-in).

MOQ and Contribution Instructions
Of course, the participation of as many backers as possible is essential to reach the minimum print run asked by our manufacturing partners.

The proposed solution of printing only in English should make it easy to reach this minimum print run.

However, this also means that an MOQ will be required for each language pack. We'll keep you updated on the contribution level during the contribution period.

Starting tomorrow Friday afternoon (Friday morning for the US), you'll receive 2 emails.

1. The first is about creating your private account on our secure portal. The link in the email will take you directly to the web portal where you can set your password.

2. The second email will inform you of your pledge level and the amount of your contribution.

You will have until October 31st to pay your contibution.

The following points need to be considered:
  • For the language packs, we need an MOQ (minimum order quantity) of 1,000 copies per pack. If we do not reach the MOQ for a language pack, we will ship the items in English as well as PDF Print & Play files in the translated language.
  • We need a minimum commitment to start printing, and we will keep you informed of this commitment level through updates during the 20-day contribution period.
  • If we do not reach the required quantity level, we commit to refunding immediately all Wave 2 contributors.
  • The contribution amounts per item have been calculated as accurately as possible, they only cover the funds necessary to print Wave 2 of Darkest Dungeon.
  • The funds received for this contribution will be used entirely and exclusively for the printing of Wave 2 of Darkest Dungeon.
  • At the end of the fundraising period, if we have reached the minimum commitment, we will begin production immediately.

Based on estimates from our printing and logistics partners, Wave 2 will be printed between December and January. Based on the same estimates, the first shipments are expected to begin from April to May.

If there are any changes to this tentative schedule, you will be notified immediately.

If you do not wish to or cannot pay, you will not receive your game at the time of delivery. We remain open to the possibility of delivering to you depending on price developments in the future, although it is highly unlikely that prices will drop significantly in the coming months. Also, since this is the last printing we will do for this game, any later request for it made after the contribution period will be subject to availability at that time and must include payment of the contribution required to print the game or desired expansion.

Once again, we're sorry to have to ask for this contribution, but we hope you understand that we're doing this transparently, to offset new production costs, and with the sole purpose of being able to bring you this extraordinary game.

Refund requests
We will continue to issue refunds where possible. These refunds will be made in the chronological order of requests received by emailing our assistance department at support@mythicgames.net and according to a capped amount that is reviewed monthly.

This means that the wait can be unfortunately very long.

Furthermore, these refunds are only possible as long as they do not affect the delivery of ongoing projects.

Please note that requests are tracked on the date your emails are sent, even if you have not received a response from our support team.

FAQ
We know you'll probably have many questions. So we've prepared an FAQ. Please feel free to contact us by email or in the comments, the most frequently asked questions will be added to this list as they arise.

Click on the image to access the FAQ
A final word
Before we close, we'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this long message, and once again thank all the backers who have supported us and agreed to contribute. We know these are difficult times for everyone, with price increases everywhere. We know you've already invested a lot in this game. We know this move will be unpopular. But it's what has allowed us to deliver, and we haven't given up thanks to your critical but concrete support.

It's because of you that we were able to finish, print, and ship these extraordinary projects around the world, despite the unforeseen difficulties we faced. Over 80% of you contributed to Darkest Dungeon Wave 1 and received your games. Almost as many of you contributed to 6: Siege, despite a much higher contribution rate.

Our greatest reward in delivering Wave 1 was seeing the rave reviews of the gameplay, the fun and intensity people felt playing the Darkest Dungeon board game, the incredible photos of the miniatures painted by so many enthusiasts. We can't wait to send you this fantastic game and the missing expansions, and to see your reactions when you get your hands on them. It's sure to become a classic in your collection, and one you'll be proud to own.

The Mythic Team

Key points as they present them:
  • everyone needs to pay more!;
  • don't worry people who ordered non-English versions, they'll send PDFs so they can print the version they want;
  • their "original plan" had people paying $30 for each expansion, but thanks to how clever they are people will only have to pay $13*;
    *plus shipping, which has not been announced and
  • the reason for the increased costs is unexpected costs because of the war in Ukraine, COVID-19 and inflation, plus shipping rates are up (last mile only, they admit sea shipments are actually way back down from when they sought the last contribution).

Key obfuscations or outright lies:
  • The reasons for the price hike omits, "the millions collected were spent on other things";
  • The "original plan" costs are nonsense, purely designed to make the cash grab more palatable. Under that plan, the Crimson Court expansion would require a contribution of $34. They sell this on their webstore for $70, and they have 50% off sales regularly. Production cost of a board game typically around 25% of the retail price, so that contribution would match to a box that has a retail price of around $136. Looking at the reduced rate and typical pricing, they're basically admitting that people are paying for the entirety of production, not just increased costs. Which goes to the point above, and bizarrely they admitted this was the case for 6siege but for whatever reason decided to lie about it this time;
  • And on that last point, they are still overcharging for the Wave 2 components. Without a doubt, this is because backers already paid an extra contribution for these items which has to be deducted. So what they're doing is pricing the cost of production, adding the amount already contributed, setting that as the number and then deducting that amount for backers who have already paid;
  • Those who ordered the non-English versions are being utterly screwed. These contributors have received nothing so far. They're now going to get the English version. For the privilege of getting something they didn't order, two years after other people got the first parts, they get to pay more than the English speakers did.;
  • Inflation will have increased costs, but they made the decision to delay half of production;
  • Last mile shipping costs are used to justify the contribution, even though they admit that sea shipping has gone way, way down in costs and they already collected extra on the basis of high sea shipping. And everyone already paid full shipping, plus extra for shipping. But nevermind that, they're using shipping costs to justify this extra contribution, yet shipping costs are above and beyond the extra contribution;
  • Mythic is still processing refunds from July 2022, namely from the day of the first contribution request. It's a total lie at this point to tell people at this point there's any possibility of a refund; and
  • They tell players that if they don't get the minimum contributions, they will be refunded immediately. Of course, they told players last time that if they paid their contribution request (which included the stuff they're now proposing to ship).

Bottom line: Everyone must pay a lot more. And despite this being an update about how much more, Mythic won't say exactly. For all in backers, $64 plus more for shipping. This is in addition to the $69 those folks already paid, and it's notable because that first contribution covered far more. Somehow non-English backers are getting it even worse. And this is because of the war in Ukraine, not financial incompetence.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 6, 2023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

As an experiment absolutely for demonstration purposes only, I decided to try to recreate some of the card art to see if it could get close to some of the Dragon Eclipse art. I picked "Flaming Bite" for the Emberling, which is represented by a crystal fireball for some reason (and not teeth/mouth/etc?). I just quickly guessed something like "bright crystallized fireball over ground red and orange hand-painted concept art style, shards exploding off with wisps of white flames." Here are the results:
Flaming Bite: https://i.imgur.com/j4FShud.jpg
Bing AI Image Generator: https://imgur.com/a/79baDlc

Now, it's not the exact style they used, but I'm sure they have a specific secret prompt that ensures all of the images end up looking consistent. Plus, their in-house art team would no doubt touch up the pics to make sure they fit better together. So, in my opinion, it's pretty plausible that this was the method they used.

I managed to get one which seems to source the lightning effect from the same place

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Maneck posted:

I managed to get one which seems to source the lightning effect from the same place

Boom, you got super close with that one. Why would they name that “Flaming Bite” if all things? So lazy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

Boom, you got super close with that one. Why would they name that “Flaming Bite” if all things? So lazy.
That's clearly a jawbreaker post-microwaving, so "Flaming Bite" is completely appropriate.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

JazzFlight posted:

Plot twist: the names are also AI generated.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

DropTheAnvil posted:

I get a 403 when I click the link, please make it https and it works

Oh no! It works here, try this one
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/ghouls

Last 24 hours now! Ends 8pm Sunday UK Time. More Ghouls Unlocked!
Cheesy Poster:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Crossposting from the Dungeons and Dragons thread, this is a campaign I have worked on as a freelancer and it is just launching!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lionbanner/hellwatch-rpg-infernal-oath

It's a Tier 1 to 3, 5e dark fantasy campaign and setting; I have helped design and punch-up the monster stat blocks, items, spells and custom classes for it. There is a free pdf sample (and I have asked the author to expand it a bit, so you may get more free stuff soon).

If nothing else, go check it out for a free fun statblock for a small, swarming undead monster that hunts by sound and covers you in toxic drool.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The game I'm most excited for just hit Kickstarter!

GUBAT BANWA!

Filipino fantasy 4e style tactics TTRPG, looks sick, excellent team, and they're basically funded already hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The game I'm most excited for just hit Kickstarter!

GUBAT BANWA!

Filipino fantasy 4e style tactics TTRPG, looks sick, excellent team, and they're basically funded already hell yeah

Been looking forward to this for awhile, so excited to see the launch notification.