Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/woodwardsports/status/1708633899268469135

I trust that the consensus on this will be unanimous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bregor posted:

The Flyers can gently caress off forever though

My memory of the 08 Phillies is a little fuzzy, but I remember pulling for them and that they were fun. Last year’s team and this year’s are rowdy and seem to have more personality. I’m sure my soft spots for Harper, Turner, and Schwarber are influencing that though.

But then I remember that the Phillies winning would make Flyers fans happy and that’s unacceptable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The regular season is way way way too long for it to be a reliable indicator of who is the better team on a particular day in October

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
All important MN/TX furniture bet update.

Original plan was to do the bet with Mattress Mack and it was basically ready to go. But local store here is in some "production group" (I have no idea what that is) with another place in Houston, and *that* company hate's MM's guts. MN company said if they did anything to give Mack even more press they'd get crucified. Also they were complaining about some new commercial he did dressed in a toga?

So the bet is just with said smaller TX company. 10K to the winner's charity (Ronald McDonald House or Parkinson's research I think) and 5K to the loser's.

Sorry for the boring story. Charity is cool and good, but hearing the underlying sales pitch about clicks and views etc is oddly interesting in a "That's Capitalism!" kind of way.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

All important MN/TX furniture bet update.

Original plan was to do the bet with Mattress Mack and it was basically ready to go. But local store here is in some "production group" (I have no idea what that is) with another place in Houston, and *that* company hate's MM's guts. MN company said if they did anything to give Mack even more press they'd get crucified. Also they were complaining about some new commercial he did dressed in a toga?

So the bet is just with said smaller TX company. 10K to the winner's charity (Ronald McDonald House or Parkinson's research I think) and 5K to the loser's.

Sorry for the boring story. Charity is cool and good, but hearing the underlying sales pitch about clicks and views etc is oddly interesting in a "That's Capitalism!" kind of way.

MM is good at self promotion but his racist brain melted and leaked out of his mouth when a young progressive hispanic woman was voted in as county executive in a surprise upset over the old white Republican man who held the position for 12 years. So denying him more free publicity is the correct move.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1710337304361849114

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dameius posted:

MM is good at self promotion but his racist brain melted and leaked out of his mouth when a young progressive hispanic woman was voted in as county executive in a surprise upset over the old white Republican man who held the position for 12 years. So denying him more free publicity is the correct move.

yeah he's on his election-denier arc now as well

Correa:

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1057275481572012032

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The Royals made the World Series in consecutive years but otherwise haven't been to the post season for 30 years and spent most of that time well below .500

Not sure if that qualifies for the "sudden success" category but it seems close to me

That team was the result of years of drafting, a few good trades and getting incredibly lucky that every reliever they signed had career years at the same time. The success wasn't that sudden (over .500 in 2013 and a great minor league system in 2011-2012). The surprise is how quickly it all went to poo poo.

Ventura not being able to drive in the DR didn't help. :sigh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

For a team carried significantly by as you said, a bunch of bullpen arms all having career years at the same time, it should be no surprise they fell off fast. Relief pitchers are the most volatile players year to year in the game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The unspoken assumption of "better record = better team" is doing a lot of work there. You could read that same data point as "regular season record is a meaningless indicator of team quality" and that one sounds a lot more likely to me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

The unspoken assumption of "better record = better team" is doing a lot of work there. You could read that same data point as "regular season record is a meaningless indicator of team quality" and that one sounds a lot more likely to me.
:lol: cmon now

At the most basic level, which are we going to trust more as a measure of "team quality":

-record over 162 games
-record over 3-20 games

Baseball has a lot of chaos built into it, so even over 162 games there is still significant random variation. But to pretend like it's meaningless and that somehow postseason record is a better indicator, is just wild.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
by my calculations, playoff teams have roughly a .500 postseason win percentage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The answer is 81 game playoff series. WC can be 51.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

best two out of three 162 game seasons

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bawfuls posted:

:lol: cmon now

At the most basic level, which are we going to trust more as a measure of "team quality":

-record over 162 games
-record over 3-20 games

Baseball has a lot of chaos built into it, so even over 162 games there is still significant random variation. But to pretend like it's meaningless and that somehow postseason record is a better indicator, is just wild.
Dudes get hurt, dudes get hot, dudes get called up, dudes get traded. I really do think that regular season records are pretty close to meaningless as predictors of postseason success and that doesn't make the postseason inherently bullshit somehow. It just means that a team in October may not be the same team that was playing in July, which seems pretty common sense to me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Doom taught me that thing is in God mode, proceed with care

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/nightengalejr/status/1710368317003727005

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Dudes get hurt, dudes get hot, dudes get called up, dudes get traded. I really do think that regular season records are pretty close to meaningless as predictors of postseason success and that doesn't make the postseason inherently bullshit somehow. It just means that a team in October may not be the same team that was playing in July, which seems pretty common sense to me.
yes that's what the piece you quoted states

but it is NOT the same as "regular season record is a meaningless indicator of team quality"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

bawfuls posted:

yes that's what the piece you quoted states

but it is NOT the same as "regular season record is a meaningless indicator of team quality"
That's what the piece states, but the guy I quoted said what it stated was "The better team wins 54% of the time". My response to it was "no, what that really says is regular season record is not a predictor of postseason success", I was just using his "better team" framing, which I guess has caused all the misunderstandings.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m rooting for a Phillies-O’s Amtrak World Series

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

by my calculations, playoff teams have roughly a .500 postseason win percentage.

any individual teams percentage is .000 or 1.000, see the 2023 playoffs for proof

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Carlosologist posted:

This sounds good

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Carlosologist posted:

The Battle of Lancaster

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tomorrow’s game is going to start with great vibes

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

hell yes. this is Joe Biden's america

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Nonzero chance the O's game gets delayed a little bit, with showers clearing out just before the start time.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Braves mascot got into it with Philly fans on Twitter and decided to insult the Phanatic. It's going about as well as one could imagine.

https://twitter.com/AH_Pod/status/1710330991359771011
https://twitter.com/SteveTSRA/status/1710338951221751840
https://twitter.com/ianfromphilly/status/1710331381769781393
https://twitter.com/DanwichHorror/status/1710402459988824359

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Popete posted:

any individual teams percentage is .000 or 1.000, see the 2023 playoffs for proof

Twins/Rangers ALCS and Phillies/D-Backs NLCS confirmed.

Game 1 of each goes to extras and doesn't end until humanity becomes extinct from climate change.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I already hated the Braves from them absolutely destroying us in the playoffs during what was at the time our franchise's best period, but reminding me of garbage rear end Blooper just reinforced it even more.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

duomo posted:

Tomorrow’s game is going to start with great vibes

Hell yeah. It was cool hearing her mark out on the broadcast when she was on this summer, she said if they're playing a show while the O's are on she literally props up her phone somewhere on the stage so she can watch it :3:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves Twitter is an absolute disaster, they lost this fight before it even started

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
blooper's social media manager's big mistake was trying to come back from the we have a phanatic at home line, he was doomed

also phillies muse is doing these again :swoon:

https://twitter.com/Phillies_Muse/status/1709759379132551388

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Daysbel Hernandez, Michael Tonkin, AJSS and Vaughn Grissom making the DS roster; Kyle Wright and Jesse Chavez are not, per Bowman.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

the rest are awesome but holy hell am i sick of people misinterpreting this scene as an epic dunk. with context don is the loser here

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Please explain because I never watched Mad Men so I've only seen it in context of the meme

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Please explain because I never watched Mad Men so I've only seen it in context of the meme

in the show, the guy is a younger colleague who has a ton of ideas while don is running on fumes and don is actually thinking about all of the time and seething

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

The best part about that show was the memes, honestly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC0Lerkkbc

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah…not sure how I feel about just casually sharing Mad Men stuff in light of Jon Hamm’s views.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GalacticAcid posted:

Yeah…not sure how I feel about just casually sharing Mad Men stuff in light of Jon Hamm’s views.

Yeah being a Cardinals fan makes him a real piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah being a Cardinals fan makes him a real piece of poo poo

Lol yea I was hoping someone would ask what he said / did so I could reply with a pic of him in a Cardinals cap. Alas the joke has failed