Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

this one's a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03l3Ra4bL_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Twitter continues to stumble its way through the Lowtax School of Business

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1710405691129692336?t=b0ee3f9O_bkVzhhv67Mjcw&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SirPablo posted:

Who is this

Former Valve employee Yanis Varoufakis

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I swear to Christ donating blood plasma gives people leukemia

it weakens your immune system

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Who is this

Pretty sure it’s Yanis Varoufakis

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thanks. I hadn't yet had a chance to bask in Yanis Yaroufakis' greatness.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

selec posted:

we never discussed it as a society, but I’ve never seen anyone vape on a zoom call. it’s just inherently understood to be uncouth, despite all of us being in our own homes.

there was an article of some british lady getting busted for smoking on work zoom at the early pandemic. i assume everyone with their camera off is vaping or whatever. at least thats what i do

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone high up from goonfleet spent my entire two week trial session by my side, giving me isk and talking about how they needed better officers that he could trust. He would come with me to training missions and everything. He trusted me because he knew me from TFF. He would joke that he was “grooming me for a top position.” He was getting my schedule because they needed someone at weird hours to group up with some Russians they had an alliance with.

Anyway I never touched the game again after my trial and that guy got killed in Benghazi.

lmfao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

there was an article of some british lady getting busted for smoking on work zoom at the early pandemic. i assume everyone with their camera off is vaping or whatever. at least thats what i do

I keep my camera off because it's too drat hot to work with a shirt on

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Father Wendigo posted:

Twitter continues to stumble its way through the Lowtax School of Business

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1710405691129692336?t=b0ee3f9O_bkVzhhv67Mjcw&s=19

lmao that’s not even a rounding error level of money

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cool

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got this from this guy's (free) substack.

https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/the-price-fixing-economy?utm_campaign=email-half-post&r=pk3m3&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

The Price-Fixing Economy
New information coming to light in Amazon and meat price-fixing antitrust cases shows inflation is probably being driven by consolidation in the form of data sharing.

MATT STOLLER

OCT 6

Today, the government came out with a ‘blowout’ report showing massive growth in the number of jobs in the economy. Among normal people, polling on the economy is still abysmal, even though the numbers suggest they shouldn’t be.

Among elites, the reaction to this report is that, believe it or not, things are too good for normal people. Stocks are dropping, because Wall Street thinks that the Federal Reserve will likely tighten financial conditions, as policymakers still believe - despite much evidence to the contrary over the last three years - that inflation is caused by workers getting too much money.

In this piece, I’m going to show how recent antitrust suits undercut this theory, and also suggest an additional reason why the public is unhappy with the economy. It’s not just that prices are high, it’s that they are increasingly unfair.

Whither Greedflation?
For roughly a year after the pandemic, populist thinkers and writers posited the theory of ‘greedflation’ to describe why prices were skyrocketing. They noted that CEOs were constantly noting on investor calls that they had pricing power or their industry overall had ‘disciplined’ its capacity. One CEO, for instance, said publicly he was “praying for inflation” so he could raise prices. I added something to this argument in late 2021 when I noted that higher corporate profits explained roughly 60% of the inflationary increase. Eventually, scholars and Federal Reserve officials began releasing data confirming this thesis.

But status quo oriented economists quickly intervened, and mocked the theory into the ground. "My friend and economist Jason Furman says, 'Blaming inflation on greed is like blaming a plane crash on gravity,'" said economist Justin Wolfers in November of 2022. "It is technically correct, but it entirely misses the point." MIT economist David Autor made a simple point to discredit the idea. “Market concentration is a longstanding problem, yet we’ve had close to no inflation for two decades,” he said, “so it cannot be that market concentration suddenly explains inflation.” And then of course, there was Larry Summers.

A couple of antitrust cases over the last month are suggesting that concentration may have played a more significant role than commonly understood, but we just don’t have the data to measure it. Two weeks ago, the Antitrust Division filed a complaint against a firm called Agri Stats, which sells data and consulting services to the processors that dominate the poultry, pork, and turkey industry.

The claim in the case is that Agri Stats was a coordinator of pricing, serving as a clearinghouse where it would collect and share granular pricing, wage and production data for all major meatpackers. Agri Stats also sold consulting services, which one executive at Smithfield, a pork processor, summarized with four words: “Just raise your price.”

This is an exhibit from the Agri Stats complaint, a marketing presentation from 2016.
The poultry, pork, and turkey industries aren’t technically monopolies, as there are multiple firms who sell these products. But Agri Stats, by making sure everyone in the industry colludes, applied a form of unified control of pricing to the industry. It’s multiple firms, but in one centralized cartel.

There are several key questions here. One is whether this kind of collusion is systemic across the economy. I suspect it is. After all, Agri Stats wasn’t hiding its business. This is what it has on its website, marketing material that is pretty close to ‘we sell price-fixing conspiracies.’

But are there other examples? Yes. One mind-blowing story from ProPublica that came out in 2022 was about landlord software sold by a firm called RealPage, which essentially told big landlords to raise rents by showing them “data RealPage gathers from clients, including private information on what nearby competitors charge.” There’s a quasi-consulting arrangement here too, as “RealPage discourages bargaining with renters and has even recommended that landlords in some cases accept a lower occupancy rate in order to raise rents and make more money.”

RealPage is now facing at least seven private antitrust class action suits, as lower output and higher prices are classic signs of monopoly power. What’s fascinating is that here again, an economist would look at these markets and see competition and multiple rivals renting out apartments, but they would miss that there’s a cartel, or rather a set of regional cartels coordinated by a software platform, operating to boost prices and margins.

Sometimes the price-fixing is done through software and data exchange, and sometimes it’s done through signaling in concentrated markets. In its recently filed complaint against Amazon, for instance, the Federal Trade Commission touched on something called Project Nessie, an internal algorithm “to test how much it could raise prices in a way that competitors would follow.” Amazon would raise a price to see if competitors followed, and then keep the price high if they did, or drop it back down if they didn’t.

Basically, Amazon wasn’t just hiking its own prices, it was signaling to rivals that they should hike their prices as well. I spoke with a former Amazon retail division official, who told me about how much they hated Project Nessie internally, because it was a collusive mechanism imposed upon the retail division which drove up prices to consumers.

From a legal perspective, it’s interesting the Federal Trade Commission didn’t make a monopolization claim on Project Nessie, but an argument that this kind of algorithmic collusion is what is known as an unfair method of competition, which is a more expansive claim that allows for a looser market definition. In certain areas, like selling expensive cameras, people do comparison-shop. But even though there is competition, Amazon has market power, and Project Nessie is an unfair exploitation of that market power to drive up prices everywhere. It’s a cartel done via algorithm.

I suspect these forms of coordination are far more common than we assume. You might think the restaurant industry is competitive, and it is. But the payment software for restaurants is much less so, and when consumers are presented with a bill at a restaurant, the screen regularly offers not the traditional 15% tip, but the choice of tipping 20%, 22%, or 25%. Is that collusion? No. But’s a loosely coordinated form of a price hike to allow firms to pay employees less than they would ordinarily have to. And tipping is now being baked into all sorts of firms, from juice shops to appliance-repair firms to plant stores to locksmiths. 16% of small businesses now ask customers to leave a tip, up from 6% in 2019. Again, this change is almost certainly a shift in the software firms use to accept payments, and it’s a price hike and form of coordination you won’t see in concentration statistics.

That said, even if you think forms of price fixing are systemic, there’s another important question. Did this kind of coordination increase during the pandemic and drive inflation? And there, the answer is we just don’t know. Project Nessie ended in 2019, when the House Antitrust Subcommittee began investigating Amazon. Agri Stats changed some of its practices in 2019 as well, after there were class action suit filings. I find it hard to believe Amazon and meatpackers aren’t continuing these practices in some form or fashion. Moreover, competition is cumulative, and so is collusion. If a bunch of firms have collectively held back on supply for years, they can’t suddenly build a bunch of factories to expand production. In other words, if an industry is historically concentrated, collusive and genteel, then prices won’t move very much for a while, even if formal agreements stop.

Indeed, Mike Konczal and Niko Lusiani, in a paper titled “Prices, Profits, and Power,” showed how markups exploded during the pandemic, and that the increases in 2021 were “both the highest level on record and the largest one-year increase—over 2.5 times the increase of the next several largest annual increases.” Was that a function of more single firms operating as monopolies, or more concentrated industries colluding to act as cartels? The answer is likely, yes.

More broadly, price-fixing isn’t always about driving prices up, it can also be about driving wages and supplier prices down. Meat processors weren’t just colluding in jacking up prices to consumers, but lowering wages to workers. And in a non-inflationary environment, prior to 2021, it was easier to reduce prices to suppliers than increase prices on consumers. Indeed, the decade of the 2010s was one in which there was remarkably slow wage growth, which is consistent with a story of heavy concentration on the labor side (which economists have now realized is pervasive.)

It was only when there was a broad narrative shift towards inflation that businesses began increasing prices dramatically, and that’s when price-fixing turns from pressing down prices from workers and sellers and towards raising prices on consumers. It isn’t ironclad that profits drove inflation, but these cases do suggest that statistics about concentration are at best incomplete.

Fair Prices, Not Just Low Prices
One of the core political dynamics in American politics is that our economic and political elites see the world almost entirely differently than normal people, and there’s no better case study for this than inflation. It’s something I’ve written about extensively - why do Americans think inflation is up and the economy is bad when all the dials and data policymakers use show that these are boom times?

I’ve answered part of this question by showing that the dials themselves are broken, that the cost of interest charges isn’t included in inflation metrics. But I also have a suspicion that the increase of tips and junk fees - which are exploding in usage by businesses - is causing people to say inflation is too high, not just because everything is so costly but because the prices are also unfair.

Buying a ticket to a game or concert and seeing a crazy fee, or being presented with a tip screen for a locksmith and having to choose between social awkwardness and paying a higher price, feels crappy. Being cheated is not only frustrating, it’s also scary, because it can recur without warning and cause unexpected costs. Being cheated thus imposes a real extra cost beyond the amount someone has to pay, which is to say, increasing uncertainty about future prices.

So this is another part of the answer about why sentiments on the economy are negative despite evidence of less inflation and more jobs. Pollsters are asking about inflation by framing it in terms that economists understand, which is to say the level or the rate of increase. But ordinary people not only want to pay good prices, they also want to feel like they are being treated fairly. If people feel increasingly cheated, and the only questions they are asked by pollsters are whether the economy is good or whether inflation is up, they will give an answer that reflects their anger and fear of being taken advantage of, and not reflect the ‘objective’ statistics policymakers expect.

This too is not a new problem. For thousands of years, political philosophers have wrestled with the problem of the ‘just price’ for goods, and every society regulated prices to get close to fairness. Indeed, the Federal Trade Commission, and many other areas of government, have statutes that bar “unfair” methods of competition or “unfair” consumer pricing practices, because fairness, not just the level, is something that makes a society function. These kinds of laws seem quaint today, and antitrust lawyers and economists regularly mock the very concept of fairness. But by airbrushing out the human element of commerce, and narrowing the only moral question to efficiency and price level, economists have destroyed the ability of policymakers to see commerce and understand the economy the way the rest of us do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Alexa: show the picture of a crime

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep my camera off because it's too drat hot to work with a shirt on

fair

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

some of the original price fixing anti trust cases in the USA were over businesses coordinating prices through industry groups

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Are you drawing doodles of our criminal loving conspiracy?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

euphronius posted:

some of the original price fixing anti trust cases in the USA were over businesses coordinating prices through industry groups

well the good news is that means they're perfect caselaw to get overturned by a 7-2 scotus

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spaced God posted:

well the good news is that means they're perfect caselaw to get overturned by a 7-2 scotus

maybe

price fixing is kind of obviously wrong

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

euphronius posted:

it rules that we really are just reliving the early 20th century but with climate change slowly killing us all

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

maybe

a lot of wrong and also illegal things happen without consequence all the time, euphronius

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

antitrust was one of my favorite law school classes. the cases are all super interesting . the Microsoft case is awesome

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
antitrust flies in the face of free market economics and must be destroyed

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

sure, congress outlawed price fixing through third party industry groups run by humans, but there's nothing in that law about everybody getting their prices from a computer program running an algorithm run by a third party industry group

thus these lawsuits are a massive overreach of the executive into congress's power who should legislate if they want this to be illegal

cases dismissed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Complications posted:

sure, congress outlawed price fixing through third party industry groups run by humans, but there's nothing in that law about everybody getting their prices from a computer program running an algorithm run by a third party industry group

thus these lawsuits are a massive overreach of the executive into congress's power who should legislate if they want this to be illegal

cases dismissed

… justice Alito ???

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Got this from this guy's (free) substack.

MATT STOLLER

are you, ...are you a Matt Stoller subscriber who reads his newsletters every day?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

varoufakis is good as well

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

are you, ...are you a Matt Stoller subscriber who reads his newsletters every day?

Not everyday lol. I read a couple articles about monopolies and subscribed to the free feed and the emails show up every couple weeks.

Is there some terrible secret about him? I don't really look into article writers.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

euphronius posted:

maybe

lol, lmao
let me tell you about the legal system, my dear lawyer friend

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Complications posted:

cases dismissed

companies are people, ai is their voice and thoughts, and prices are their means of expression. it would be tyrannical if we limited that.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

skooma512 posted:

Not everyday lol. I read a couple articles about monopolies and subscribed to the free feed and the emails show up every couple weeks.

Is there some terrible secret about him? I don't really look into article writers.
he's a china hawk

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Ebola Roulette posted:

This. Anecdotal but almost everyone I know has taken a second job within the last month just to keep up with the cost of living. One person I know even took a second job just to afford gas to get to their day job :shepspends:
also anecdotal but i know multiple already doing this

err posted:

150k part time positions added, 21,000 full time positions lost. Slight uptick on multiple job holders. (Table A9)

average hourly earnings down

61,000 of jobs created were at restaurants and bars. Government jobs up 70,000.

Vast majority of job gains are in lower pay service sectors. Or jobs in government largely due to governme
yeah what a surprise mostly part-time probably temporary garbage jobs

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skooma512 posted:

he literally wants a hot war with China and his vision for a utopian America involves regulated (but not too regulated!) small businesses (SMEs) ruling the economy. explicitly and proudly antisocialist / anticommunist.

reports fairly well and accurately about monopolies and oligopolies. employed by very right wing think tanks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

he literally wants a hot war with China and his vision for a utopian America involves regulated (but not too regulated!) small businesses (SMEs) ruling the economy. explicitly and proudly antisocialist / anticommunist.

reports fairly well and accurately about monopolies and oligopolies. employed by very right wing think tanks

Ah I see, that's not good.

I guess I didn't notice because that feed seems focused on monopolies, and all the rest is somewhere else.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yeah he did the post-leftist thing and pivoted to getting money from a different set of interests. He might still report on interesting stuff occasionally but he also has a page on the Federalist Society website now: https://fedsoc.org/contributors/matt-stoller

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Isabella Weber is a good one to follow. she's probably a lib at heart but does interviews with socialists & marxists

https://twitter.com/isabellamweber/status/1710391045970653680

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah he did the post-leftist thing and pivoted to getting money from a different set of interests. He might still report on interesting stuff occasionally but he also has a page on the Federalist Society website now: https://fedsoc.org/contributors/matt-stoller

quote:

...served as a writer and actor on the short-lived FX television series Brand X with Russell Brand.

lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FedSoc and Russell Brand too. :chloe:

Oof lol

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Smythe posted:

a lot of wrong and also illegal things happen without consequence all the time, euphronius

wow it's almost like the law is just some made up stuff to protect one side and bind the other and that anyone that believes it's any less than that is just a status quo load-bearing dupe

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

This guy rules, and that lady looks like a racist idiot. I am in love with him now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

same. ill turn my camera off halfway through to vape if i had to have it on to start