Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

No we now have a second train running from Blair to tunneys that cost several billions and only works about 30% of the time now. And has made international headlines..... it literally doesn't work in wet weather

CLAM DOWN posted:

aren't the wheels literally cracked lol

lol cool :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

DaysBefore posted:

Is the Skytrain a monorail

it's a lame boring duorail

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

We literally find out something else broke every single loving week

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

no, it's much better

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
vancouver skytrain ftmfw

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
the thing that gets me about the Sky train is that the millennium and the expo lines have this massive central rail of linear induction that provides huge amounts of traction so that it can operate in icy conditions. the Canada line has a traditional electrified third rail so the second it snows the line can’t operate above ground because it can’t get traction up the slope.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
c-train in Calgary is pretty good (or was when I lived there and they've added a lot of stations since then). the downside is you have to be in Calgary to ride it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

c-train in Calgary is pretty good (or was when I lived there and they've added a lot of stations since then). the downside is you have to be in Calgary to ride it.

doesn't the c-train kill people and get interrupted by cars, etc, regularly? non-grade-separated rail is bad and poo poo and pointless

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Houle posted:

Honestly it really shows how loving stupid they are. Literally now Putin has undoctored of the Canadian government saluting a Nazi. Putin can even just say "see, they are so ignorant of their own history how can they be so sure about the history going on here?". Watch Canada and its small fish in a big pond energy be the reason why Ukraine loses the PR war and with that support.

Well, in the event that Putin says this he would be extremely correct.

Canadians and Westerners in general are ignorant of their history, that ignorance being fostered to prevent dissent or uncomfortable questions. The answer to this problem is not to shove our horrible history under the rug, but rather to deal with it directly and change how we do things.

Will that happen? lol

infernal machines posted:

the ttc is simultaneously "not good" and "the best transit system in canada"

make of that what you will

I think the TTC is alright, but I've only ever used it as a tourist.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

doesn't the c-train kill people and get interrupted by cars, etc, regularly? non-grade-separated rail is bad and poo poo and pointless

I don't remember it going out of service all that often overall (no more than the subway did when I lived in Toronto anyway) and the car crossings were never a huge problem as the trains get priority except downtown where they follow lights and it operates more like a streetcar

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the moral hazard of the federal government stepping up for the TTC underfunding issues wouldn't be a problem at all, no siree..

Feds should fund new routes not repairing old.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

infernal machines posted:

the ttc is simultaneously "not good" and "the best transit system in canada"

make of that what you will

hey that’s TransLink’s thing

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Moral hazard? Isn't it the business of the government to subsidize important infrastructure? We're not talking about a private profit-making corporation here.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Transit should be free

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

PhilippAchtel posted:

Transit should be free

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

DaysBefore posted:

mono = one
rail = rail

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it is in the government's interest that I can move quickly and efficiently to my place of work every day, but nah

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
We are talking about a bunch of provinces being conservative kleptocrats and a bunch of municipalities with a huge infrastructure maintenance deficit.

You give money to the TTC for their chronic underfunding guess what everyone else with half a braincell is going to do.

You've disincentivized O&M spending.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ZShakespeare posted:

the thing that gets me about the Sky train is that the millennium and the expo lines have this massive central rail of linear induction that provides huge amounts of traction so that it can operate in icy conditions. the Canada line has a traditional electrified third rail so the second it snows the line can’t operate above ground because it can’t get traction up the slope.

that line was meant to handle transit to and from the airport for the olympics. snow was a secondary concern.

Vancouver transit also eliminated fare gates for the olympics only to bring them back because we can't have nice things

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

apatheticman posted:

We are talking about a bunch of provinces being conservative kleptocrats and a bunch of municipalities with a huge infrastructure maintenance deficit.

You give money to the TTC for their chronic underfunding guess what everyone else with half a braincell is going to do.

You lost me at the part where other cities getting money to fund their transit systems is somehow a problem, why do I care which level of government does it? If we have to invent more levels of government just to increase the odds of good things happening then so be it, balkanize that poo poo.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

apatheticman posted:

You've disincentivized O&M spending.

Fair enough. Better to let the TTC go bankrupt, I guess.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Vancouver transit also eliminated fare gates for the olympics only to bring them back because we can't have nice things

what are you talking about, compass/gates were introduced in 2015, olympics were in 2010

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

If the Conservatives spur on national centralization of infrastructure by being insufferable, that's a good thing.

Not that the Liberals will rise to the occasion.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

CLAM DOWN posted:

what are you talking about, compass/gates were introduced in 2015, olympics were in 2010

they didn't have gates and then added them. I thought they had gates before but :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

they didn't have gates and then added them. I thought they had gates before but :shrug:

nope, it was mag stripe paper tickets that you inserted in a slot on the bus and it went beep, skytrain was honour system but transit cops would hunt you down for sport

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Took the Skytrain, my favourite monorail, once to watch a Lions game and the Skytrain was definitely the highlight of that night

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

eXXon posted:

You lost me at the part where other cities getting money to fund their transit systems is somehow a problem, why do I care which level of government does it? If we have to invent more levels of government just to increase the odds of good things happening then so be it, balkanize that poo poo.

The liberals would just do means tested transit funding for municipalities.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

No we now have a second train running from Blair to tunneys that cost several billions and only works about 30% of the time now. And has made international headlines..... it literally doesn't work in wet weather

I'm very glad remote work happened cause even though the train is not part of my commute, it sure managed to make a mess of things anyways. And the next phase would probably turn my "bus->bus->bus" commute into "bus->bus->train->bus" because of the way I hooked up to the transitway, causing me to take the train to go like one stop down the transitway.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Municipalities and provinces don't have money sovereignty, and it is incumbent on the federal government to subsidize all of our infrastructure spending. Fight me.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Well sir, there's nothing on earth like a genuine bona fide electrified parliamentary ovation for nazis!

What I say?

Nazis!

What's it called?

Nazis!

That's right! Nazis!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Cold on a Cob posted:

The ctrain is only useful if you are going to or leaving downtown. Other wise you are hosed.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ZShakespeare posted:

Municipalities and provinces don't have money sovereignty, and it is incumbent on the federal government to subsidize all of our infrastructure spending. Fight me.

sorry but the federal government doesn't have responsibilities any more

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

bunnyofdoom posted:

they made the train out F35 parts

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Demon_Corsair posted:

The ctrain is only useful if you are going to or leaving downtown. Other wise you are hosed.

last time i was there the lrt shut down at like 11pm every night which ruled because i worked in a bar

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

drat horror queefs posted:

Well sir, there's nothing on earth like a genuine bona fide electrified parliamentary ovation for nazis!

What I say?

Nazis!

What's it called?

Nazis!

That's right! Nazis!

I hear those guys are awful loud…

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

corgiwizard posted:

I hear those guys are awful loud…