Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CrypticFox posted:

I imagine those missionaries more probably would have come from Sassanian lands rather than the Roman Empire. The Church of the East (Nestorians) was much bigger in Sassanian lands than it was Roman lands, and Iraq/Iran is a lot closer to China than the Roman empire. Really, they could even have come from Central Asia, since the Church of the East had a very big presence in Central Asia until around the 14th century. No reason the mission to China has to have been a long distance endeavor, there were a lot of Church of the East Christians not that far from China quite early on.

Edit: This is not to say that Christian missionaries from the Roman Empire can't have reached China, they may have, but I don't think the presence of the Church of the East in China in the 600s is evidence for this.

Fair points. My other circumstantial evidence is the story about the theft of the silkworms. It feels apocryphal, but I think the fact that the story went around and was evidently plausible enough people told it and we still have it suggests that the idea of Nestorian monks going to China and back was enough of a thing it passed the sniff test. And of course, the Romans did evidently get their hands on silkworm technology so something must've happened.

Would be nice to find some Latin inscriptions in China though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You're telling me a Trojan fried this horse?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arglebargle III posted:

You're telling me a horse fried these Trojans?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snorri was writing the history of the kings of Norway, who had long traced their lineage back to Odin, and by claiming that the Æsir actually existed but weren't actually gods but mystical foreigners who were just so amazing that later people thought they were gods it allowed to kings of Norway to keep doing tracing their line back to Odin without it being overly pagan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

Well, that's because the Gospels don't explain the context of why they were exchanging coins and selling doves and other animals in the Temple. Edgar Allan Ho is correct, the Temple had not become a shopping mall, people were selling animals to sacrifice during Passover because Jews from all across Judaea and further afield--who could not feasibly bring animals with them to Jerusalem--needed animals to sacrifice. And, as EAH said, it was blasphemous to use Roman coinage, so they had moneychangers to exchange Roman coins for acceptable Jewish ones. For a fee, of course. So Jesus was mad that people were profiting within and because of the Temple cult, but it wasn't like people were heading up to the Temple to buy new drip.

However the last temptation of Christ does get into this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Snorri was writing the history of the kings of Norway, who had long traced their lineage back to Odin, and by claiming that the Æsir actually existed but weren't actually gods but mystical foreigners who were just so amazing that later people thought they were gods it allowed to kings of Norway to keep doing tracing their line back to Odin without it being overly pagan.

Aliens are a kind of mystical foreigner...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having taken up stargazing the past few years of working outside at night- it’s amazing how instantly you pick it up. I can name stars and constellations in the sky of places I know and tell directions from them. I can tell what time of year it is too. That’s not a humblebrag- I think everyone would figure it out if it was necessary these days. When that’s critical because there is no gps, and without immense light pollution, well gently caress I’d like to see that

I memorized them out of a book in 1997. I still have that book.

It comes down to learning your major landmarks like the Big Dipper, learning how to use it and Orion to find other constellations, and beating them into memory.

In the thirty years I've had the nickname Star Man, I learned early on how utterly impossible it is to get anyone to look up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gaius Jivius Caesar vs Twerkingetorix

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:perfect:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Bit late to map talk, but wouldn't one of the main differences in how people in the past approached maps compared to today be that any kind of social or political boundary would be far more ephemeral prior to the establishment of the modern state. Outside of hard geographical boundaries like the sea, where one polities authority ended and the next began would be rarely clearly delineated; this is a pretty major difference from how we might interface with maps today.

I can't speak to this situation being a constant for all of history, but a good example of this were the various Crusader states established on the coast of the Levant following the First Crusade in the late 11th century. While a modern map will usually present them with rationalised borders the reality was that, especially during periods of more contentious relations with their muslim neighbours, their authority in rural areas was based on where they project military force. As such projection was reliant upon the construction of castles, a process often carried with a fair amount of independence from any central authority, the real boundaries of authority would of been a patchwork mess.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Roman/ancient history:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Archaeology!

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2023/10/archaeological-mission-finds-hundreds-of-sealed-jars-in-tomb-of-merit-neith/148768

quote:

ARCHAEOLOGICAL MISSION FINDS HUNDREDS OF SEALED JARS IN TOMB OF MERIT-NEITH

An Egyptian-German-Austrian archaeological mission conducting excavations at the tomb of Merit-Neith have uncovered hundreds of sealed ceramic jars.

Merit-Neith, meaning “Beloved by Neith”, was a consort and regent during the first dynasty. Despite her name not being included in the king lists from the New Kingdom, Merit-Neith may have been the first female pharaoh of Ancient Egypt.

I will be honest that I did not know who Merit-Neith was prior to those articles, and so "first female pharaoh" was a buried lede and immediately became the much more interesting factoid to me. Nevertheless: sealed jars.

https://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/a-remarkable-find-tomb-of-queen-merit-neith-ancient-matriarch/

quote:

KUWAIT CITY, Oct 2: Dating back to the era of Queen Merit Neith, the first female ruler in human history, 5,000-year-old wine jars were found in southern Egypt (Xinhua) October 1, 2023 02:55 PM 3381

The Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities announced, Sunday, the discovery of hundreds of sealed wine jars dating back to the era of Queen Merit Neith, the first female in human history to rule 5000 years ago in the Umm al-Qaab area of ​​Abydos, in Sohag Governorate, southern Egypt.

Dr. Mustafa Waziri, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities in Egypt, said in a ministry statement that the Egyptian-German-Austrian archaeological mission working in the tomb of Queen Merit-Neith of the First Dynasty in the Umm al-Qaab area of ​​Abydos in Sohag Governorate succeeded in uncovering hundreds of urns.

Closed and never opened, there is leftover wine inside. Waziri pointed out that the discovered jars are large in size and in a good state of preservation, and that the wine remains inside them are about 5,000 years old.

please drink the tomb wine, waziri.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sealed jars at Abydos? What out for symbiotes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I like how the second story goes right from 'may have been the first female Pharaoh, we dunno' to 'first female ruler in history, worldwide!'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GunjanJS/status/1708902051609002113

So you can see why unscrupulous copper vendors could stay in business, interest rates stifled competing firms.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Star Man posted:

In the thirty years I've had the nickname Star Man, I learned early on how utterly impossible it is to get anyone to look up.

So you're telling me the Leonardo DiCaprio/Jennifer Lawrence movie was a documentary.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I got a question, I don't know if it has an answer but I'm still curious.

I'm reading through a bunch of the biblical apocrypha. And I get to the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew. It's a Latin medieval text (somewhere between 600 and 800ce I think) that's all goofy and has 2 year old Jesus speaking all fluently and sophisticated it's great.

It mentions dragons, as follows.

quote:

Cumque peruenissent ad speluncam quandam ut quasi sub ea refrigerarent, descendit Maria de iumento et sedit et habebat Iesum in gremio. Erant autem tres pueri et cum Maria una puella iter agentes. Et ecce subito egressi sunt de spelunca dracones multi, quos uidentes pueri exclamauerunt. Tunc dominus cum esset nondum bimulus excussit se et stans in pedibus stetit ante eos. Illi autem dracones adorauerunt eum et cum adorassent eum abierunt. Tunc adimpletum est quod dictum est per psalmographum prophetam dicentem: Laudate dominum de terra dracones et omnes abyssi. Ipse autem dominus Iesus Christus infantulus deambulabat cum eis ut nullum grauaret. Sed Maria et Ioseph dicebant inter se: Melius est ut nos interficiant isti dracones quam infantem laedant. Quibus Iesus ait: Nolite me considerare quia infantulus sum; ego enim semper uir perfectus fui et sum, et necesse est ut omnia genera ferarum mansuescere faciam.

quote:

When they arrived at a certain cave where they wanted to cool themselves off, Mary came off the donkey and sat down, and held Jesus on her lap. There were three male servants with them on the road, and one female servant with Mary. And behold, suddenly many dragons came out of the cave. When the servants saw them they cried out. Then the Lord, even though he was not yet two years old, roused himself, got to his feet, and stood in front of them. And the dragons worshiped him. When they finished worshiping him, they went away. Then was fulfilled what was spoken by the prophet in the Psalms, who said, “Praise the Lord from the earth, O dragons and all the places of the abyss." The Lord Jesus Christ, though just a small child, walked along with them so that he might not be a burden to anyone. Mary and Joseph were saying to one another, “It would be better for those dragons to kill us than to harm the child.” Jesus said to them, “Do not think of me as a young child, for I have always been the perfect man, and am now; and it is necessary for me to tame every kind of wild beast.”

So, this is weird to me. I might be giving medieval people too much of the benefit of the doubt, but this book seems to be asking to be taken literally. I would have assumed by then people had realized dragons were mythical? Since no one in the Roman empire for example had ever really seen one first hand I'd imagine. And it's just so bizarre that they're just walking along and like out of just any old cave 3 dragons pop out. I just imagine, if I was in that situation and time and I read that I'd think "I've passed by hundreds of caves, never seen a dragon pop out."

So I guess what I'm asking, dragons, or "dracones" like used in the Latin here, what did that actually mean to a medieval person? Did they just believe in it and take it literally? Is it referring to something else? What are the dragons here and why did this author think "yeah dragons that works, right alongside lions and stuff"? Is the author just stretching what's believable hoping people who previously didn't believe in dragons now suddenly consider it for the sake of fulfilling that prophecy? When did people stop literally believing in dragons? What are dragons just generally to medieval people?

I think I'm operating on the assumption that all the dragon stuff from the middle ages was symbolic or just known as myth, or from ancient times. Though I'm wondering if I'm wrong.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think people genuinely believed in dragons to be honest. People were more well-traveled than we like to imagine, but most people still didn't go THAT far from home. It's easy to imagine that dragons existed somewhere further away than you could ever realistically hope to travel in your life.

This might be misremembered on my part, or even pop history, but a lot of mythical creature myths probably stem from people finding fossils.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's always hard to say what people actually believed, but it certainly seems like plenty of people did believe dragons were actual animals out in the world somewhere. There are a bunch of discussions of dragons in classical and medieval texts that present them that way.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I mean, we know things like lions elephants are real, but they would've been just as mythical as dragons to many European laymen back in the day.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think people genuinely believed in dragons to be honest. People were more well-traveled than we like to imagine, but most people still didn't go THAT far from home. It's easy to imagine that dragons existed somewhere further away than you could ever realistically hope to travel in your life.

This might be misremembered on my part, or even pop history, but a lot of mythical creature myths probably stem from people finding fossils.

Yeah, there was lots of wilderness with spooky unknown stuff and people would let their imaginations run wild. Some folks ventured out into it and never came back. Lots of legends and lore about what was out there, in part to scare kids into staying close to home. Grimm's fairy tales were all about the terrible things that lurked in the unknown forests full of dangers.

Believing in dragons was no more of a reach than believing in lions or giraffes. Almost no one in Europe had seen one personally by the middle ages, but there were reports of them and they had no way to verify their veracity.

It's sort of a "I have a friend of a friend whose uncle works at Nintendo and he says his grandfather saw a dragon one time and lived to tell about it."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

So I guess what I'm asking, dragons, or "dracones" like used in the Latin here, what did that actually mean to a medieval person? Did they just believe in it and take it literally? Is it referring to something else? What are the dragons here and why did this author think "yeah dragons that works, right alongside lions and stuff"? Is the author just stretching what's believable hoping people who previously didn't believe in dragons now suddenly consider it for the sake of fulfilling that prophecy? When did people stop literally believing in dragons? What are dragons just generally to medieval people?

I think I'm operating on the assumption that all the dragon stuff from the middle ages was symbolic or just known as myth, or from ancient times. Though I'm wondering if I'm wrong.

I mean people had found fossils and poo poo plus in much more recent times people thought that moose and platypi were mythical. Plus "dragon" as a term has always been very broad, it wasn't like your average medieval peasant was picturing Literally Smaug there have always been tons of different spins on that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah from what I gathered reading T.H. Whites' _Bestiary_ I'm not even clear that the medieval mind would have had the same clear division between "real" and "imaginary" entities. Everything is allegorical and part of the Great Chain of Being and foreign lands are filled with unicorns and rhinoceros and lions and phoenix and each creature is a line entry in the Great Book

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah that all makes sense, thanks. This part happened during the flight to Egypt I think, so they're marching through places that the author and probably most of the readers had never been before. That and, I don't know about this one exactly, but a lot of these infancy gospels apparently even get some basic geography wrong so they definitely weren't written where they supposedly happened.

edit: Also, strongly recommend reading the infancy gospels. I've been reading the Bible and the apocrypha/books about the bible and apocrypha basically as history (not taking what they say as literal history, what I mean is seeing the books themselves as a product of history, and a way to learn about how people thought then, and just this sorta important process in Western history with the development of the most influential religion in the later part of Rome)

The whole thing has been really interesting, there's a lot of political drama and what I can only imagine to be classical neckbeards trying to dunk on each other and say "you're obviously wrong and I'm clearly right"

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 7, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Important to remember that "basic geography" to us is very much not basic to them. Things we take for granted as common knowledge now are things that only a handful of people may have had a real understanding of then.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is a time before zoos or photographs. There are definitely a lot of animals out there, but you have to be extremely well-traveled to see most of them. Even some animals in your local area can be hard to find if you don't have the right circumstances, although I imagine a lot of creatures would've been bolder back in the day, kinda depends on circumstances. There were a lot of creatures humanity was driving extinct, but usually more on purpose rather than then just crushing the environment through the weight of of industrialism. Hard to imagine Europe once being full of lions. Odds are a guy in Scotland would have as little of an idea of a camel as a guy in Egypt would have an idea of a bear.

Modern fantasy also likes constructing elaborate supernatural things that are purposefully impossible and otherworldly, while contemporaneously, people didn't really see the same sort of separation. It took a while for the natural sciences to develop to the point where they could stand as something totally separate from superstition, and even then there's plenty of areas where education wouldn't be as strong.

We know that some myths and even mythological creatures come from real animals and phenomena, I'm not sure how many. Some explanations of scared superstitious peasants can get pretty patronizing, but it is what it is. My favorite is the cameleopard.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Important to remember that "basic geography" to us is very much not basic to them. Things we take for granted as common knowledge now are things that only a handful of people may have had a real understanding of then.

I'm just remembering when they went around asking a bunch of Americans, right around the time of the invasion, to point out Iraq on a map.

Looks like they've repeated that with North Korea, Iran and Ukraine, and every time it averages around 25% of people who can actually get it right.

https://www.boredpanda.com/people-asked-point-iran-on-map-joanna-piacenza

Anyway I'd be cautious about making assumptions about what constitutes "basic geography" to the modern person.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

This whole thing reminded me, back in college I knew this girl. She was studying to be a nurse so I guess it wasn't something necessary for her to know.

Somehow we got talking about dragons and she was like "wait, dragons weren't real?", she had assumed they were a species that had gone extinct in the last 500 or so years.

I was young and full of myself so I gave a very condescending "uh no? Dragons were never real... obviously they're mythical" and now I feel really lovely about that :(

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Anyway I'd be cautious about making assumptions about what constitutes "basic geography" to the modern person.

In the context of these books, I'd have to look it up but it's one of those situations where one book makes an error, the other books are using it for a source and use the same error I think. Which actually seems like a good thing for dating some of this stuff.

The error has something to do with where Judea begins and ends, and some mistake about saying they left for Judea when they were already in Judea or something like that? And, honestly, give me a map and I cant tell you where ancient Judea specifically ends. You could give me all sorts of modern Israeli cities and ask me if they're in Israel or Jordan and I'd probably get it wrong. Though, I'm not writing an apparently divinely inspired book as supposedly a person who had first hand experience of these events leaving or entering Judea.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 7, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm just remembering when they went around asking a bunch of Americans, right around the time of the invasion, to point out Iraq on a map.

Looks like they've repeated that with North Korea, Iran and Ukraine, and every time it averages around 25% of people who can actually get it right.

https://www.boredpanda.com/people-asked-point-iran-on-map-joanna-piacenza

Yeah that's kind of my point. If only 25% of people now can get it right, while having access to the entirety of human knowledge via their smart phone, is it that surprising that people in the past made some dumb (to us) mistakes or assumptions about geography?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A dragon is a beast. Crocodile and bears are beasts. I don’t think it’s much more complicated than that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Not to be too pedantic but dragons definitely do exist.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Not to be too pedantic but dragons definitely do exist.

To be even more pedantic, that's an animal named after dragons, not a dragon. And only in English, even.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A dragon is an animal named after dragons. You know, like the dragons in the Bible, or the ones the Roman army uses as standards. No one would say that an earthworm isn't a worm and is only named after worms, even though the English word worm has the same semantic history. It's clear that there's some overlap conceptually between worms and worms: they're long, they're thin, they're creepy (literally, they creep about on or in the ground), they twist about, you may well find them in a burial mound if you go digging up treasure. Other features like the scales or the fire or the wings or the penetrating hypnotic gaze or the literal identity with Satan may be present in only some worms, but what do you expect, they can't all be Smaug the Terrible, chiefest and greatest of calamities.

Canst thou draw out Leviathan with a taxonomy?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Libluini posted:

To be even more pedantic, that's an animal named after dragons, not a dragon. And only in English, even.

Shakespeare didn't write any of those plays, it was someone else with the same name.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the only animal on earth truly worthy of the name dragon is the bombardier beetle

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Benagain posted:

I mean people had found fossils and poo poo plus in much more recent times people thought that moose and platypi were mythical.
they're right

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If I were a farmer with no internet access who learned everything via word of mouth it would be very easy to convince me that dragons existed somewhere else even if I had never seen one. I'd just be like "wow that's crazy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are fully literate educated people connected to a source of knowledge that dwarfs the Library of Alexandria who've convinced themselves the earth is flat because they can't stand on a basketball. Don't take much convincing for people to believe what they want to believe.

Regardless of if they thought dragons real, the purpose in the story is obviously symbolic. I doubt anyone was really concerned with if the dragons existed as much as they were with the actions they took when meeting Lil Jesus