Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The more subtle joke is that it doesn't even fit in his garage

“we call it the man cave”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's a 1000 sq ft house up the street from me with four of those trucks, and they have to park two of them real close in the driveway like that (one spills over the side and sits on a hole filled with rocks) while the other two park on the narrow stretch of street curb that doesn't block driveways. Their trucks are bigger than their house. It looks stupid.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Some jerkwad in my neighborhood has a lifted pickup with extra wide wheels with a veterans license plate and when they park it on the street it spills over into the bike lane because it's wider than a loving bus

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
if he's disabled he probably needs the extra-wide wheels to get around.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
lmao im watching a man get mad at my bike being locked to a street sign right now because its making it harder for him to open his car door

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The solution is to have a car so tall that the door clears the bike completely.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

The solution is to have a car so tall that the door clears the bike completely.

the next car to come double parked more than a car length away it just keeps getting better

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:mods:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Another solution would be equipping cars with devices that limited their speed and acceleration to something safe

Cars need operational envelopes like aircraft where if you go the wrong speed under certain conditions you fall out of the air and die

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dog Case posted:

Cars need operational envelopes like aircraft where if you go the wrong speed under certain conditions you fall out of the air and die

I saw a provocative movie called “The Net” starring the woman from “The Bus”

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

this kind of phrasing is always sketchy because pedestrians and cyclists don't "dart out" onto the road - you're either not paying attention, or you're traveling too fast to react accordingly

if a bicyclist darted out of that post you'd b going too fast <:mad:> im saying right there where you quoted 'it is good to slow down anywhere stuff can come darting out onto the road, thats what i do' ~_~

fwiw tho to clarify places things can "dart out", to me at least is when something could move from behind an obstruction and come anywhere close to intersecting my path before I could smoothly stop/change my path to avoid it w/o upsetting the vehicle or anything sketchy. i leave a margin of about +2-3 seconds on top of what id already need to completely stop or steer clear (if there's a safe route to steer) incase something comes out moving fast, i just assume a kid is gonna chase a ball out from behind every parked box van or whatever & drive accordingly
im respoinsble

Clark Nova posted:

are these figures only counting corpses that were inside the car?

single driver, single individual fatalities with nobody else involved as far as i know

mystes
May 31, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

starring the woman from “The Bus”
ah the movie in which the bus was required to go well above the speed limit to maximize safety, as all drivers should

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mystes posted:

ah the movie in which the bus was required to go well above the speed limit to maximize safety, as all drivers should

55 miles an hour was considered a chaotic speed in the 90s

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIrIvKKT_nk

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Love my vestigial car-hole. To be fair I don't park my car in the garage either, not because it wouldn't fit but because the garage is full of bikes as it should be.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Love my vestigial car-hole. To be fair I don't park my car in the garage either, not because it wouldn't fit but because the garage is full of bikes as it should be.

going to get downvoted here bvut i believe garages should be where u put ur car if u have one, a car and garage that is... and not really for "storage" unless u have room left over. just my 2c as a guy who grew up on a narrow hill & idiot ppl filled the only parkable side of the street with their big rear end tupid cars so u couldnt ever have company over kuz it was full of perma parked suvs. another thing you can have in your gargage is your computer business / software startup in the 1970s & 80s.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

My basement runs the length of my row home so when I want to test ride something briefly I can just mount up and ride the length of it. Another reason why narrow row homes rule

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Smythe posted:

going to get downvoted here bvut i believe garages should be where u put ur car if u have one, a car and garage that is... and not really for "storage" unless u have room left over. just my 2c as a guy who grew up on a narrow hill & idiot ppl filled the only parkable side of the street with their big rear end tupid cars so u couldnt ever have company over kuz it was full of perma parked suvs. another thing you can have in your gargage is your computer business / software startup in the 1970s & 80s.

Yeah parking on the street is annoying to other people and is ugly I get that, we're in the second house back on a block of land with a long driveway, so we can park in front of our garage in a way that you can't even see the car from the street.

The issue with putting bikes anywhere other than the garage is that they're kinda dirty, especially if you've just been out riding in the rain and they're dripping wet. When I was living in an apartment with a balcony I'd leave them out there as it was tiled but still under-cover and too high up for anyone to steal, but I still had to carry it through the apartment to get there which was less than ideal. The whole design of a garage is for storing dirty vehicles which may or may not be covered in mud/road grime and dripping wet, and I figure that the bicycles are easily stolen and will degrade faster if left out in the elements compared to the car, so they get priority.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You should use your garage for storage and put your car where it belongs: in the trash.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Having a garage that is too full of junk to store your primary vehicle is cringe.

If your primary vehicle is a bicycle, that’s fine though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Having a garage is cringe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don’t worry. Garages are on their way out.

They’re all being converted to illegal apartments.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
tw: cars, gore (words)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

What's tw again?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Also best thing about bicycles is when you got some work to do on them, worst part about cars is when they need work. gently caress them cars

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

tw: cars, gore (words)

sad lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

local club has a new weekend market but the carpark it's in is next to a busy road so all the noise from the cars makes it quite unpleasant. thanks cars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

What's tw again?
trigger warning

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mystes posted:

trigger warning

quoting this for what will be posted next

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
AHhhhh HAHAHAHAHHA

From the pop culture thread mother fuckers!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

AHhhhh HAHAHAHAHHA

From the pop culture thread mother fuckers!

the most beautiful terrain: endless cracked pavement

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/bxiainvo8msb1/DASH_720.mp4

The rare crash where both drivers are totally at fault.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I keep my spare bike, my cargo bike and a bunch of crap in the garage, the other bikes under an overhang and my cars in the toy box.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Platystemon posted:

https://v.redd.it/bxiainvo8msb1/DASH_720.mp4

I don't see a pedestrian anywhere, so I think it was just a complete freak accident and nobody can be blamed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Via CanPol:

quote:

Over the summer, groups and individuals previously associated with the Freedom Convoy have been holding secret in-person meetings at locations across Canada to iron out plans for the so-called “Save the Children Convoy” this fall.

This week, the convoy set-up a rural base camp near Casselman, 40 minutes outside Ottawa. A livestream to announce the opening of the camp was interrupted by a rival convoy group, leading to an incident that saw a man thrown from the hood of a moving car while attempting to punch in its windshield.

Freedom Convoy members attacked by Convoy of Freedom thugs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/jehiah/status/1707864945671479806

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Platystemon posted:

nah, the tesla driver was 100% at fault. you have to yield to vehicles already in an intersection no matter what, and it's legal to enter an intersection on yellow (and thus required to exit the intersection as soon as possible). not to mention speeding ~65 in a 40 zone and that they were going to run a red no matter what

other than its both fault for being in a car to begin with

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xaris posted:

nah, the tesla driver was 100% at fault. you have to yield to vehicles already in an intersection no matter what, and it's legal to enter an intersection on yellow (and thus required to exit the intersection as soon as possible). not to mention speeding ~65 in a 40 zone and that they were going to run a red no matter what

other than its both fault for being in a car to begin with

The other driver entered on a red light.

If they had entered on a yellow it would have been solely the Tesla driver’s fault, but they didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
dont know if they did or didnt but you are still required to yield to vehicles in an intersection no matter what. that's literally the law. there's almost zero exception for not being at fault in t-boning someone