Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

BigBadSteve posted:

Someone on gne_meltdown claimed that the blockchain rumor started with a troll saying GME stocks had been "moved to the blockchain" and apes taking it seriously.

To my understanding, what happened is that they had a Twitter space and one of the ape DD artists said that AST wasn't the transfer agent anymore and they couldn't find one that *was* so it must be moving to the blockchain, and that became the new ape lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dr. Quarex posted:

Some of the most vile people in the world would make amazingly sympathetic fictional characters when we did not actually have to deal with the reality of their existence

Hey buddy I'm right here

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've definitely seen some people who, as a completely unqualified internet rear end in a top hat, I wouldn't want to laugh at because they come across as having way more going on beyond being sucked into a meme stock cult. That said, I tend to feel pretty differently about someone who misguidedly thinks they are working towards a more equitable world than I do about someone who's fixated on lambos and "wife-changing money", and there's a lot more of the latter any way you slice it.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

woke kaczynski posted:

I've definitely seen some people who, as a completely unqualified internet rear end in a top hat, I wouldn't want to laugh at because they come across as having way more going on beyond being sucked into a meme stock cult. That said, I tend to feel pretty differently about someone who misguidedly thinks they are working towards a more equitable world than I do about someone who's fixated on lambos and "wife-changing money", and there's a lot more of the latter any way you slice it.

There's a decent proportion of memestocker's that are Qanon's, so it's ok to laugh at them going broke

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Meme Stock Masterclass: What is DRS? (ft. “fake shares” and "locking the float")
Disclaimer: For these posts I’m not going to be going super in-depth on any finance concepts for three reasons. 1. You don’t need an SA thread for that, you can just look it up online if you care. 2. I have no financial background, so whatever information I could give would be no better than what you could get by looking it up online. 3. You don’t really need to understand complicated financial concepts to decipher ape posts because they also don’t understand them. So whenever an actual financial concept comes up I will give a cursory explanation to the minimum extent required to understand the meme stock thing the post is actually about.

In the last masterclass, we established that apes believe there is still an enormous glut of short positions open on GameStop shares, resulting in the potential for a short squeeze of unbelievable proportions. So (within this hypothetical scenario) they simply must buy up a bunch of shares, right? Well, no, and to explain why not I will need to explain how brokerages work. I’ll try to make it as quick as possible.

:eng101: You can’t just walk into the New York Stock Exchange and buy a stock. You have to become a member. If you don’t want to make stock trading your full-time job, that’s probably not worth it, so your best bet is to find someone who is a member and give them money to buy stocks on your behalf. Brokerages are companies which are in the business of doing this for people in exchange for money. Typically, if you buy stock via a brokerage, they won’t actually transfer the shares to your name because they are much more able to do stuff with them than you are. Instead, you just have an agreement with your brokerage that you give them money, they buy the shares, and they make a note in their ledger that those shares are yours and they should do whatever you say to do with them. That’s how brokers work on a basic level, got that? Okay, one other thing you need to know about how they do business. Let’s say that you have $10 worth of ABC shares purchased via the brokerage Fidelity, and you think ABC is about to go down in price, so you tell Fidelity to sell them. If Fidelity disagrees with your assessment and thinks ABC is not going to go down, they might just give you $10 and tell you they sold the shares, effectively buying them off you. This is totally legal because for you it makes no difference whatsoever; The outcome is exactly the same as if Fidelity had actually sold them. :capitalism:

So, all apes have to do to trigger MOASS is go to their brokerage of choice and buy a bunch of GameStop shares, right? Well…

There’s two problems with that. As previously established, apes believe that there is an enormous amount of naked short selling going on for GME shares. When a naked short sale occurs, the seller makes a promise to deliver a share that they claim to have borrowed but really never had. The person who has that promise can then adjust their balance sheet to indicate a loss of money and a gain of one share. When apes talk about people having “fake shares” this is what they mean: a promise to deliver on a nonexistent share. If the naked short seller cannot find a share to fulfill this promise in time, the result is what is called a Failure to Deliver, or FTD. This is a real thing and in ape world it is a huge deal and clear evidence of widespread malfeasance. In the real world it is just a thing that happens sometimes and usually gets cleared up in a day or so. Anyway, apes dislike brokerages because there’s no way of confirming the brokerage has acquired a “real share” and in fact no way of confirming the brokerage has actually made the purchase at all. This brings us to the second reason, and the one much more commonly cited.

Remember how I talked about how your brokerage can do stuff with your shares that you didn’t tell them to do and it’s fine if the outcome is the same for you? Well, another thing brokerages can do with your shares is let short sellers borrow them. In theory this is a conflict of interest because a short sale puts downward pressure on the price, but in reality it’s such a minor effect that it might as well not happen. At least, that’s how it is in our world. In ape world, short sales are catastrophically damaging to a company’s share price because every share lent out translates to approximately eleventy-billion fake shares.

So, what can be done about this? Well, in our reality, you might find a brokerage that does not lend out shares or that allows you to specifically request that your shares not be lent out, and no brokerage with even the slightest bit of prestige is going to risk its reputation and some legal trouble for the paltry sum it would get for lending out your shares, so that will be sufficient. In ape world, you cannot possibly trust brokers because they are part of Wall Street, the evil and corrupt den of liars who are totally going to make you rich. No, what you need is a way of actually owning those shares yourself, rather than a brokerage owning them on your behalf. Enter the Direct Registration System, or DRS.

Pictured: Heartfelt plea from an ape. Recently they have taken to calling themselves “household investors” instead of “retail investors” because they think the minor change in terminology will make people more likely to take them seriously when they post about their jacked tits and Kenny’s mayo.

DRS is a system in which people who own stocks are registered as the owner of a stock not via a middleman, but directly with the entity who issued the stock. Apes love this because, in their mind, it means they definitely own an actual share of GME rather than one of the schmillions of fake shares floating around, so when MOASS happens they will definitely get their slice of the pie. So when you see apes telling each other to “DRS your shares”, what they are actually saying to do is to purchase a share via whatever brokerage, then use the DRS to transfer the shares from the brokerage’s name to their own name. Well, either that or purchase them directly via ComputerShare, a company that allows people to do that and has made absolute bank off of apes. What does this strategy actually do? Well first of all, it costs money. Second, it makes the shares much less liquid. Again, you cannot directly buy or sell shares on a securities exchange unless you are a member of that exchange and (I think) you can’t sell stock directly to another person unless that stock is literally in the form of a piece of paper like it’s 1847. Thus, if you want to sell a share you have directly registered, you must first reverse that process and transfer it back to a brokerage, which is obviously not conducive to timing a short squeeze correctly. Apes love this too, because making it harder to sell one’s shares serves as a sign of devotion to the cause.

Finally, it is important to note that in addition to guaranteeing a payout during MOASS, apes also see DRS as a very important catalyst for MOASS. Every share that they directly register is a share that short sellers cannot borrow. If apes can directly register enough shares, there will eventually be fewer than the amount required for hedge funds to manufacture the number of fake shares they need to keep the price down, and MOASS will begin. It is a common belief that apes could and should try to “lock the float”, which means purchasing and directly registering every single GameStop share currently on the public market. As of GameStop’s most recent quarterly earnings report they had managed to get that number up to 75.4M out of 305M, which is genuinely impressive but not nearly enough to cause short sellers any kind of trouble. The apes’ reaction to the last couple of quarterly earnings reports has been… less than ecstatic.

Source

ADDITIONAL READING:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6aZYKspKA
This next one is not relevant to the above but it’s so poetic I can’t not post it:

Ariong fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 6, 2023

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Pulte did an impromptu AMA in /r/ThePPShow last night and had this amazing interaction. Apes are very confused.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
“God, i cannot WAIT until we win so we can singlehandedly topple the housing industry”

*buys more defunct bed bath and beyond stock*

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
A few more replies

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this thread is a memetic hazard. none of this poo poo is real. it's all made up.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

A few more replies

That last one is just doing free association like the numerology crazies

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

rotinaj posted:

That last one is just doing free association like the numerology crazies

It's not just that post :ssh:

This is a hell of a thing to watch from afar. Golly.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Good news! I figured out how to twist Pulte's statement to say not only the opposite of what he said but also reinforce even crazier theories about our favorite stock!

This guy is going to need witness protection levels of security when these people fully turn on him. Who knows what they are capable of.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Don't stick your dick in, or collect patreon funding from, crazy.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

These BBBY bagholders are truely insane. Who genuinely believes this is some kind of conspiracy for george soros or bill gates or whoever to buy the stock and make them all millionaires. Truly deranged stuff, not the sort of thing someome in my enlightened position (as an esteemed AMC and GME owner) would ever consider :smug:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Are there actually tiers of memestock apery? Do GME bag-HODLers look down on BBBY bag-HODLers as less than?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Are there actually tiers of memestock apery? Do GME bag-HODLers look down on BBBY bag-HODLers as less than?

Yep. In fact they have something of a rivalry where GME-holders explain how THEIR stock is the real game-changing moonticket while BBBY is obviously a stupid scam. They’re all over Dan Olson’s memestock video complaining about how they were lumped in with the other bad stocks.

https://x.com/FoldableHuman/status/1710062089606144475?s=20

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
LOL so the game stock holders see the bby people yelling about how gamestop and bby and amc and what ever else are going to merge together into gmerica and laugh?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Good news! I figured out how to twist Pulte's statement to say not only the opposite of what he said but also reinforce even crazier theories about our favorite stock!

This guy is going to need witness protection levels of security when these people fully turn on him. Who knows what they are capable of.

As long as he lives far enough away they're not even going to be able to afford bus fare, he should be fine

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

LOL so the game stock holders see the bby people yelling about how gamestop and bby and amc and what ever else are going to merge together into gmerica and laugh?

How did I not assume this would be the case. Of freakin' course they're doing this. LOL.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

As long as he lives far enough away they're not even going to be able to afford bus fare, he should be fine

BBY community project: crowdfund the lynching of Pulte.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GolfHole posted:

this thread is a memetic hazard. none of this poo poo is real. it's all made up.

Leave now. Leave while you still have… hope…

Boxturret posted:

Based on how they talk about the subject, it seems the GME purists actually feel the exact same way as we do about the BBBY people. They simply do not see the parallels.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Meh, the dude is a super rich failson, he’ll be fine. PP is the one I’m really worried about. It seems like he’s already started the transition into talking about other stuff and letting BBBYQ fade into the rear view.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

"Don't put all your money in one stock."

"Clearly, this post is telling me to put all my money into one stock."

JFC.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Neito posted:

"Don't put all your money in one stock."

"Clearly, this post is telling me to put all my money into one stock."

JFC.

READ THE DD, the decoding makes it clear that this stock reverse triangle merges and then becomes more than one stock :smug:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I had to stop visiting the BBBY sub as it was starting to make me sick to my stomach reading the replies from people who are so desperate and/or delusional.

Honestly hope that PP gets what's coming.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

this remains my single favorite meme stock thing:

AA is Adam Aaron the CEO of AMC, who's taught a master class on how to bilk apes for as much money as they can spare and then some.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GolfHole posted:

What was that meme that used vague esoteric text on some random image? I can’t describe it but I know it when I see it. That’s how I feel reading that.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

this remains my single favorite meme stock thing:

AA is Adam Aaron the CEO of AMC, who's taught a master class on how to bilk apes for as much money as they can spare and then some.

Oh yeah there will be a reckoning for all those Harvard graduates attempting to get jobs working for people who heavily invested in AMC stock. Just you wait, it will be a blood bath.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

teen witch posted:

What was that meme that used vague esoteric text on some random image? I can’t describe it but I know it when I see it. That’s how I feel reading that.

I think that's just instagram.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

coolusername posted:

Yep. In fact they have something of a rivalry where GME-holders explain how THEIR stock is the real game-changing moonticket while BBBY is obviously a stupid scam. They’re all over Dan Olson’s memestock video complaining about how they were lumped in with the other bad stocks.

https://x.com/FoldableHuman/status/1710062089606144475?s=20

the guy he's quoting has an entire cellar's worth of victory wine if you read his responses

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
When he says "it's about you", he obviously means you, i.e the people who didn't invest a ton of money in to AMC stocks reading this, not me the person he's directly replying to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

When he says "it's about you", he obviously means you, i.e the people who didn't invest a ton of money in to AMC stocks reading this, not me the person he's directly replying to.

Wait, so who can prevent forest fires?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait, so who can prevent forest fires?

No one. Forests are just gonna burn as that's just what forests do. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

No one. Forests are just gonna burn as that's just what forests do. :(

Ah, a fellow Australian.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, a fellow Australian.

Trees literally cover themselves in highly flammable oil just for shits and giggles!

Like what the hell???

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Gum trees in Dec versus memestocks, the only real volatility comparison. :australia:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

coolusername posted:

Gum trees in Dec versus memestocks, the only real volatility comparison. :australia:

But gum trees do come back stronger after a bushfire and burning away all the competition.

So now would be the time to invest in BBBY?

e: done, in for 20k

Poopbutt fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 7, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Poopbutt posted:

But gum trees do come back stronger after a bushfire and burning away all the competition.

How much stronger do they need to get? Have you ever run into one of em, they're already pretty loving solid.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

dr_rat posted:

How much stronger do they need to get? Have you ever run into one of em, they're already pretty loving solid.

You're supposed to chew on them to soften them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Spazzle posted:

You're supposed to chew on them to soften them up.

I feel like your think there is gonna be far more pre-planning than actuallys gonna occur before a drunk stumble into a gum tree.

Like sure if I'd know in advance i'd just be plow right into that fucker later that night I would chew on em a bit first, but like how the hell I'm I meant to to know what trees I'll be stumbling into???