Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

minato posted:

Tesla / Neuralink aren't separate companies... you think computers are piloting those cars? Here's what happens to people who find out how it really works...

honest to Yahweh i'd rather be surprised by a crocodile in my car than a loving chimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

diagnosis code F22: other delusional disorders (including Cotard syndrome)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Real weather people are flying planes into hurricanes, nobody is [intentionally] flying planes through tornados.

Now if someone were to do this, THAT would be a hell of an OSHA video (assuming the footage survived)

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Vampire Panties posted:

(i'm told) that private helicopter pilots are absolutely nuts

Cross-posting this from the Atlantic Hurricane Season 2023 thread

Holy poo poo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This amazing 1000% OSHA content got no love. Shameful thread.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

honest to Yahweh i'd rather be surprised by a crocodile in my car than a loving chimp.

An acquaintance of mine from long ago was a primate keeper at the time. He described the different reactions to an escaped animal at the zoo as: “For most animals, you just react according to the code green protocol, and attempt to capture or corral the animal back to its enclosure.

…Unless it’s a chimp. Then I leave, throw my keys over the fence, and radio my resignation to the front office.”

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the only thing a tesla identifies as a threat is children

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I like to wash my eyes with the black gunk, helps uh... scrub it good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Vampire Panties posted:

(i'm told) that private helicopter pilots are absolutely nuts

Cross-posting this from the Atlantic Hurricane Season 2023 thread

tornado sucked me off???

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

AtomikKrab posted:

I like to wash my eyes with the black gunk, helps uh... scrub it good.

It's just like pumice soap, but for your eyes

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I say this every time it comes up but it still amazes me that they just let you drive your own vehicle through the oil change pit lane thingies.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Activated Charcoal is commonly used to remove contaminants from water, i don't see why your eyes would be different... :shepface:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Unperson_47 posted:

I say this every time it comes up but it still amazes me that they just let you drive your own vehicle through the oil change pit lane thingies.

I dunno about anyone else, but not having to get out of my car while several completely filthy people handle my keys and wheel and controls is the main point in favor of going to one of those places rather than paying a little more for a real mechanic to do it. There are tons of them everywhere, so you don't have to feel THAT strongly about it to feel strongly ENOUGH to drive another quarter mile to the next identical place. It'd just be an immediate % loss in business unless it came down as a law everybody had to follow at once (lol america)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

yaarrrgh my eyes!

*turns on eyewash station*

YAARGH MY EYES!!!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

MrYenko posted:

happy now?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/1Xr6Byx.mp4

MrYenko posted:

probably because it's been posted before. not the kinda thing you'd forget

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

GotLag posted:

For side barriers to stop a modern, heavy car (and EVs are heavier still), how strong would they have to be and hence how much would they have to weigh?
What is the environmental cost of burning extra fuel to carry that weight around, and of the extra truck journeys required (each truck can carry less cargo due to overall vehicle weight limits)?
What is the cost in extra road maintenance due to the wear from heavier/more trucks?

Is all of that cost worth it just to allow one lovely car company to keep calling its cruise control "autopilot"?

Side and rear underrun barriers are common, and I think actually a legal requirement, on trucks in Europe. They’re certainly on every single one in the UK above a certain size.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Javid posted:

I dunno about anyone else, but not having to get out of my car while several completely filthy people handle my keys and wheel and controls is the main point in favor of going to one of those places rather than paying a little more for a real mechanic to do it. There are tons of them everywhere, so you don't have to feel THAT strongly about it to feel strongly ENOUGH to drive another quarter mile to the next identical place. It'd just be an immediate % loss in business unless it came down as a law everybody had to follow at once (lol america)

Oh, I use them too. I was just thinking about how much can go wrong with the dumbass drivers out there.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I know healthy piss is sterile but I question filling the eyewash station with it

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

This article has stuck with me ever since I read it a decade ago.
The Worst Story I Ever Heard: The Davises are like any other family, only instead of a son, they raised a chimpanzee. Then something strange and horrifying happened — though not necessarily what you'd think.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

It's this beautiful dance of two people hucking chunks on one another until they come together in perfect harmony.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Drone_Fragger posted:

I know healthy piss is sterile but I question filling the eyewash station with it
I can't stress this enough : If your urine looks like that, please see a doctor. Hell, see two.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Slugworth posted:

I can't stress this enough : If your urine looks like that, please see a doctor. Hell, see two.

Or possibly a lawyer to ensure your will is up to date.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Maybe an exorcist?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stoatbringer posted:

Side and rear underrun barriers are common, and I think actually a legal requirement, on trucks in Europe. They’re certainly on every single one in the UK above a certain size.

US trucks/lorries and trailers are still being sold equipped with drum brakes, despite the fact that they suck at sustained braking and we have large mountain ranges.

Every now and then a truck turns into an uncontrollable death missile and the rest of us look on, proud that the logistics company saved $3k on the initial purchase of the trailer a decade and a half ago. :911:

https://youtu.be/r7djN6bxHcU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

US trucks/lorries and trailers are still being sold equipped with drum brakes, despite the fact that they suck at sustained braking and we have large mountain ranges.

Every now and then a truck turns into an uncontrollable death missile and the rest of us look on, proud that the logistics company saved $3k on the initial purchase of the trailer a decade and a half ago. :911:

https://youtu.be/r7djN6bxHcU

:stare: I've driven past that specific runaway truck ramp at least a thousand times. Getting a truck out of there sucks :stare:

IMO part of that is on the driver. If they'd been downshifting correctly and driving the 35mph posted speed limit, they wouldnt have built up that much excess speed. Usually those two right lanes are nearly bumper to bumper trucks doing 25mph

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023

Holy poo poo, that title is loving accurate. :stonk:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Someone wanna sum it up? Link is telling me I need to subscribe to Esquire.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This happened to our wood shop eyewash station. A student accidentally got glue in his eyes and he went to use it, but the water that came out was full of rust and dirt. Fortunately it happened immediately and he could still see, so he didn't stick his face into it.

After an investigation it turned out that the university health and safety guy who was supposed to be going around and inspecting and testing the eye wash stations and other lab safety features on the entire campus had just...not done that. At all, for at least 5 years. He had been filing the reports saying that he had performed the inspections, but nobody ever checked up on whether he was really doing them.

He got big time fired.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Robobot posted:

Couple adopts a chimp.

but got attacked, and the husband ferociously mauled and left disabled and disfigured, by 2 completely different chimps that escaped from an another animal shelter.

Its horrifying how much they mangled the man, but I guess chimps have enough strength and knowledge to cause horrifying injury but not enough to kill in short order like a bear or big cat would.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 7, 2023

Barking Gecko
Apr 10, 2016

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Robobot posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Davis_chimpanzee_attack

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You'd think people would learn from the example set by humans: don't gently caress around with any manner of ape. They will murder the gently caress out of you.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This is exactly what I thought happened

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Robobot posted:

Strange, it doesn't for me and I've never subscribed. Perhaps archive.org copy will work for you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Couple adopts a chimp.

but got attacked, and the husband ferociously mauled and left disabled and disfigured, by 2 completely different chimps that escaped from an another animal shelter.

Its horrifying how much they mangled the man, but I guess chimps have enough strength and knowledge to cause horrifying injury but not enough to kill in short order like a bear or big cat would.
Unlike humans, chimps have traded far less strength for fine motor control, and I think we underestimate just how strong they are pound-for-pound. Plus they basically have the intelligence and emotions of a hormonal teenage. Gorillas in theory should be more dangerous, but they're the ones where you can go and sit with them in the wild.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Not necessarily, gorillas are really chill.
Bonobos and Chimps are just real psychos. Which makes a lot of sense seeing as they are our closest relatives.

Keeping any type of monkey, ape or parrot as pets should be banned.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I would not hang out with a gorilla. People are just loving idiots about animals, I think it's just a lack of any real exposure or explanation for to anything larger or less friendly than a dog.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s25mlrQuRB1uk10e9.mp4

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

I would not hang out with a gorilla. People are just loving idiots about animals, I think it's just a lack of any real exposure or explanation for to anything larger or less friendly than a dog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeaAZ1On-w8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODyB9i6bGwQ
Ultimately the money that gorilla treks bring in probably the only thing keeping them from extinction in the wild.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

diagnosis code F22: other delusional disorders (including Cotard syndrome)

I just read Blindsight a little bit ago and for a book that features things like vampires not only being real but resurrected by science for, among other things, using their genes to help with deep space hibernation, I felt like the scariest thing in it was learning that Cotard's Syndrome is a real thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Robobot posted:

If you use ublock origin (if not, you really should) as your desktop adblocker of choice, you can simply click the no-script button and refresh on most of those types of registration nags to bypass them. It works on the esquire article. I still didn't read it because I just don't care. I just wanted to share how to bypass the paywall in case someone didn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mortician! I need a top off