Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that's

gently caress that's a lot this early in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

2C by 2030 I believe in us

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
not really helping me achieve a sober october goons

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Scarabrae posted:

somber octomber

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Scarabrae posted:

idk these headlines seem pretty sobering to me

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

smoobles posted:

idk these headlines seem pretty sobering to me

lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Pussy Quipped posted:

2C by 2030 I believe in us

considering that hansen + the research team was predicting 1.5* degrees Celcius by 2029 under their "worst" case scenario back in the 1980s

it's happening

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Oct 7, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's so surreal seeing these headlines and tweets. I feel like I'm in a dream. I wonder how much of that is just my brain trying to protect me from truly accepting what is happening and going insane. lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Confusedslight posted:

It's so surreal seeing these headlines and tweets. I feel like I'm in a dream. I wonder how much of that is just my brain trying to protect me from truly accepting what is happening and going insane. lol

Google "derealization" (you'll hate what you find).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pingui posted:

Google "derealization" (you'll hate what you find).

oh poo poo are those sensations meant to be unusual?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
chill out yall

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

chill out yall

I would, but literally sweating going for a wander around town today. In a tee.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Realistically for someone who hasn’t been paying enough attention to climate science, this all looks bad.

I know we are past several inflection pointd but how much longer can they pretending nothing is happening before our sense of normalcy is challenged and poo poo really hits the fan?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's 13c perfect autumn weather. not my problem.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

Realistically for someone who hasn’t been paying enough attention to climate science, this all looks bad.

I know we are past several inflection pointd but how much longer can they pretending nothing is happening before our sense of normalcy is challenged and poo poo really hits the fan?

my favorite bit is the people saying "well they've been saying all this climate disaster stuff since the 70s" as if they deflects any of the current realities

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Pillowpants posted:

Last month? Seems like cracks are forming in the mainstream narrative now.

Zodium posted:

lol, it’s 24°C here and up in Scotland, they got months worth of rain demolishing railways on the west coast.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Zodium posted:

it's gonna be 25 C today

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Reading the next IPCC report executive summary. Just says: gradually, then suddenly.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Hey. Let's just all turn on our air conditioners at once and sort this thing out

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also, if you want to start blaming autism and ADHD on microplastics, you now have my permission

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I will say that my whole family that used to joke about climate change as a BS narrative isn’t joking around anymore .

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I think if we wish the problem away really hard it will. We just have to believe.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

ikanreed posted:

Also, if you want to start blaming autism and ADHD on microplastics, you now have my permission

quote:

gene mutations in certain individuals means that BPA can't be cleared as well as it needs to be,
I know this isn’t meant to be read as victim blaming, but I’m just tickled at the framing that the issue lies with the individual’s genes, and not with the omnicidal pollutants we’ve forced into every facet of modern life

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

One of the only truly politically good students at my law school, who's pretty much as "C-SPAM left" as you can get while not being a goon, was being complimentary to me and said he could see me being an environmental attorney. And that's very nice... but there's approximately nothing those in that field can do, and there hasn't been since probably the early 1990s or 1980s. The only tangible solutions really cannot be typed.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

*points to extreme border of graph* well within range stop this bickering

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

number

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Pillowpants posted:

You'll know this moment has arrived when the narrative switches from "the climate scientists are hysterical/liars" to "the climate scientists are to blame"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

go

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

OIL PANIC posted:

I know this isn’t meant to be read as victim blaming, but I’m just tickled at the framing that the issue lies with the individual’s genes, and not with the omnicidal pollutants we’ve forced into every facet of modern life

You need to eat your microplastics growing up to be able to deal with your omnicidal pollutants. It's really on those kids for not doing that.

I routinely eat my 5 billion a day recommended intake of BPA and assorted polymers and am as healthy and happy as a clam sat in Prozac tidal effluent.

Nichael posted:

One of the only truly politically good students at my law school, who's pretty much as "C-SPAM left" as you can get while not being a goon, was being complimentary to me and said he could see me being an environmental attorney. And that's very nice... but there's approximately nothing those in that field can do, and there hasn't been since probably the early 1990s or 1980s. The only tangible solutions really cannot be typed.

Actionable threat. Do not become lawyer. Unless it's tree law and in Canada dealing with a logging company.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fart.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pillowpants posted:

My money is on "The Year Without Corn"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Watch out for the hockey stick.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pillowpants posted:

Judging by historical precedent, the ruling class can deny anything and everything right up until they get dragged out of their mansions by an invading army or revolutionaries. We could have a literal global famine due to all the agriculture simultaneously failing coupled with a foot of sea level rise in a month and we'd still be hearing about how everything's fine and the real problem is workers being lazy.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pillowpants posted:

People at large are already aware. Even in denialist circles the rhetoric has changed from "climate change isn't real" to "the Earth goes through natural cycles" to "those dastardly Chinese are doing it". Just comment on how it's weirdly warm for October and you'll get a kind of defeated "heh" from most people--they know something is wrong, they just haven't embraced the scope of it.

Unlike something like Don't Look Up's comet, there will never be a point where we collectively see the problem with our own eyes for the first time. Instead we'll have scattered portions of the population realize how bad things are at scattered times, and maybe eventually one of those will serve as the tipping point, but more likely we're gonna keep seeing stuff like Greece or Pakistan flooding and it's gonna start getting closer and closer to home (no matter where "home" is for you) and nothing will ever be done until the worst has already come to pass.

Of course even in Don't Look Up seeing the comet with the naked eye wasn't enough, so, y'know, lol lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
No one will step up and do the needful

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Pax Americana has been 80 years of preventing the needful from happening.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Last month? Seems like cracks are forming in the mainstream narrative now.

Yeah, but this cycle has been happening for at least five or six years now. Things get bad and the mainstream media cracks a bit because doom gets views, at least until a point. The pendulum always snaps back once people start noticing, though. Next up will be a bunch of stories about how climate doom is making the youth very sad (and that's bad!) and that sad millennials aren't having kids. Lots of articles will have unironic variations of "here's why it's not that bad" titles until the next wave of natural disasters that no one can ignore.

Things will have gotten genuinely bad when poo poo goes sideways so quickly that there's not enough room for these media cycles to swing back and forth anymore.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's super nice out today wrap it up doomers

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Check in after Hell Niño lol. We're only getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

these university science blog posts are almost always nonsense but hey here's one that says bpa (which while technically not micropolastic i think its reasonable to conflate them conversationally) is probably a big factor in the rise of adhd and autism in the last few decades

https://today.rowan.edu/news/2023/09/researchers-find-bpa-links-to-autism-adhd.html

quote:

Previous studies found associations between children with autism and exposure to BPA. This study, “Bisphenol-A and phthalate metabolism in children with neurodevelopmental disorders,” found that the reason for the link is decreased efficiency in a key step involved in BPA detoxification.

After BPA is ingested or inhaled, it is filtered from the blood in the liver through a process called glucuronidation. Glucuronidation is the process of adding a sugar molecule to a toxin. Doing so makes the toxin water soluble, allowing it to quickly pass out of the body through urine.

Humans show genetic variability in their ability to detoxify BPA. Genetically susceptible individuals have more difficulty detoxifying their blood through this process, meaning their tissues are exposed to BPA at higher concentrations for longer time periods.

The study showed that for a significant proportion of children with autism, the ability to add the glucose molecule to BPA is about 10 percent less than that of control children. For a significant proportion of children with ADHD, it’s about 17 percent less.

would be kinda lol if some incredibly weird evolutionary feedback loop led to us solving climate change the right way trains!