Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The format doesn't matter. The only reason to care is if you're afraid your loser rear end team's record was a smokescreen and they need their hand held through the playoffs or they'll go on to lose to like... I don't know, some bigot team from Florida or something.

Ya i agree with this. At some point the best teams will play each other or else they weren't the best teams.

I like watching my team play the teams i dislike instead of Minnesota or whoever from the central that i can't name more than a half dozen players on. I wanna see Huberdeau eat poo poo and McDavid break Markstrom's brain over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Reseed after each round league wide :twisted:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

Redeed each round league wide :twisted:

Now we’re talking

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rangers, Devils and Islanders fans are all the same people and only hockey rivalries keep them from discovering the truth.

That, and a top secret organization spoken of only in whispers known as "The Bureau".

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I also would be into that and a fully balanced schedule so that i get less Oilers playing at 1030pm Eastern and more Oilers playing at 7pm

Don't think the east coast fans of east coast teams would enjoy the change though!!!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Wild resign Hartman for 4x3 with full protection this year and first of the new deal.

I'm really not understanding Guerin's logic on these extensions.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/tsn1200/status/1710676402230460463?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Not sure what the point of the team lying about Norris’ health all pre-season was for, the Sens centre depth is trash now. Dorions job depends on not having another garbage start to the year lol, good luck bro

I’m pretty sure Dorian is toast no matter what with the new owner. We have seen our last summer of Pierre.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Wild resign Hartman for 4x3 with full protection this year and first of the new deal.

I'm really not understanding Guerin's logic on these extensions.

I think it goes something like “better lock up this mediocre lineup now because I have two years left of not having any cap space”. Honestly, they can’t afford any upgrades for that long, and with contracts being what they are this is more certain than hoping they can find some mid grade forwards for cheap and then getting torn apart. And if Rossi takes the step he can play up the lines and Hartman can play down too as he regresses.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hartman at that price is actually a damned fine signing. He'd have easily gotten 5 on the open market from some team desperate for a center and he can play any position in the top 9 without being out of place
can't ask for much more at that price

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
im probably in the minority among hockey fans but i actually really like the idea of a play in, i think the way the NBA does it is pretty fun- if you're the 7th or 8th seed you just have to win 1- but if you're 9 or 10 you need to win two games.
people whine about too many teams making the playoffs, but historically this is the lowest % of the league making it in the history of the league i believe. my only caveat would be i would want those stats to not count towards general playoff stats.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Edit: Devils down to 28 after cuts today. Nemec is still up with the team

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 7, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Rangers, Devils and Islanders fans are all the same people and only hockey rivalries keep them from discovering the truth.

That, and a top secret organization spoken of only in whispers known as "The Bureau".

this is true for the hardcore fans. and in fact, the old school piece of poo poo Rangers Blue Seats guys like my Grandpa are arguably the worst of the worst. but the Rangers due to being New York’s team also have a ton of casuals and business suit guys like all other teams, and celebs.

the Devils are mostly all intense fans who have the New Jersey inferiority complex thing that leads them to be a strange mixture of hardcore and fairweather. it makes em tremendously sad when the Devils are bad so they end up largely ignoring them. and then getting insanely sensitive when they are good and people think they aren’t because of the trap, youth, unprovenness, etc.

Islanders fans are just the same way no matter what. totally loony and assholish and confrontational and trolling. very much representative of Long Island in probably the most “the fans represent the area” of any team in pro sports, really.

the fanbase that we’re like the most is Philly, except that we only hate our team when they’re not good or successful, which is most of the time. you don’t grt that level of self-hatred as much from NYI or NJ. they’re too concerned with hating us. Flyers fans just also hate their team even if they’re good and know more cursed things are coming. we have the optimism of “hey maybe Lafreniere hits 48 points this year idk”

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If people still get their undies in a twist over the trap 30 years later I dunno what to tell ya

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1710702372240883872?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Fuckkkkk it begins

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It seems like the Sabres roster on opening night is gonna be:

Skinner-TAGE!-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson
Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson
Girgensens-Krebs-Okposo
Jost

Dahlin-Clifton(?!)
Power-Jokiharju
Samuelsson-E. Johnson
Bryson (lol)

Levi
UPL
Comrie

Bryson is still there but Stillman was waived even though Bryson sucks and they traded for Stillman at the deadline. Olofsson was never traded so he’s just kinda there. The defensive pairs are stupid. Are they gonna do the three goalie thing again? Weird choices all around. Is this actually an improvement over last year? Seems unlikely right now.

Edit: Clifton played in the USA national hockey development program under Granato, in case anyone was wondering why they are overvaluing him.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
My one playoff amendment suggestion would be if and when Calgary and Edmonton face each other in the playoffs, after Game 1 Mike Smith contractually has to play every game in the series for the team that's ahead in the series.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Surprised it took this long, really

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It seems like the Sabres roster on opening night is gonna be:

Skinner-TAGE!-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson
Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson
Girgensens-Krebs-Okposo
Jost

Dahlin-Clifton(?!)
Power-Jokiharju
Samuelsson-E. Johnson
Bryson (lol)

Levi
UPL
Comrie

Bryson is still there but Stillman was waived even though Bryson sucks and they traded for Stillman at the deadline. Olofsson was never traded so he’s just kinda there. The defensive pairs are stupid. Are they gonna do the three goalie thing again? Weird choices all around. Is this actually an improvement over last year? Seems unlikely right now.

Edit: Clifton played in the USA national hockey development program under Granato, in case anyone was wondering why they are overvaluing him.

That RHD is dire

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Surprised it took this long, really

“So when you have the star player pinned against the board, you inconspicuously raise your skate and slash the player’s leg while pretending you are just really bad at skating and it is an accident.”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Who was the guy who had the Matt Cooke descending sunglasses "DEAL WITH IT" avatar, it always cracked me up and should now be on the Newfoundland Growlers' website

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

actually very happy about this because I watch a lot of 80s/90s hockey and it's nice to be able to think: "oh, that's current NHL head coach Dean Evason trying to do his best to restrain current NHL President Cam Neely from Bertuzzi-ing a guy over a dirty hit" and the next clip is current NHL head coach Craig Berube fighting current NHL head of pro scouting Dave Brown. nice to be able to recognize all the old guys. I look forward to the time when head coach Matt Cooke and head coach Raffi Torres try to fight on the benches

Kale
May 14, 2010

Caufield has a deceptively hard shot and release eh? Kind of reminds me of Pacioretty's a bit.

Also gently caress missed the first couple minutes of the period and apparently a Slafkovsky goal. :(

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kale posted:

Caufield has a deceptively hard shot and release eh? Kind of reminds me of Pacioretty's a bit.

Also gently caress missed the first couple minutes of the period and apparently a Slafkovsky goal. :(

It was a weird one, but I'll happily take any Slaf goals

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Having Matheson on the PP or not is night and day.

Kale
May 14, 2010

neoaxd posted:

It was a weird one, but I'll happily take any Slaf goals

Yeah basically. Confidence building and what not.

Michael Pizza goal :siren:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/benton_mike/status/1710716596627640774?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Shane Wright missing an entire season of hockey during covid may have set him back a bit

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

Shane Wright missing an entire season of hockey during covid may have set him back a bit

You’re going to need to narrow it down to which season he missed. I still think he missed most of the last one too.

Kale
May 14, 2010

It's one of those literally the only time I'm out of the room for like all of 4 minutes during the whole game all the goals but one have been scored nights.

e: Well saw that one. Can't even be mad that was a really good goal

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 8, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

genuinely stoked for another season of some sloppy rear end hockey, courtesy of the Philadelphia Flyers, can't wait for the 12th

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yikes Harris still kind of sucks sometimes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s your Caps.

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1710786689898058227?s=20

Mantha gonna be healthy scratched till someone’s injured. Probably won’t take long…

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1710817701650674109

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Caufield. Inject it into my veins.

Kale
May 14, 2010

There it is :siren:

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

holy poo poo Xhekaj shot it through the net lmao

Kale
May 14, 2010

neoaxd posted:

holy poo poo Xhekaj shot it through the net lmao
The ghost of Shea Weber rises once more near Halloween

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I can’t explain why but xhekaj is one of the players I want to succeed the most on the habs. Maybe I bought into the Costco story too hard without realizing or something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That name is worth like 30 points in scrabble

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

MononcQc posted:

I can’t explain why but xhekaj is one of the players I want to succeed the most on the habs. Maybe I bought into the Costco story too hard without realizing or something

I think he's just one of those dudes who clearly loves this poo poo. Sometimes he gets too into the moment and does something dumb, but it's easy to forgive when you see him 5 minutes later trying to throw big hits and massive slap shots.

Really, the best part of a rebuild is seeing the young guys just having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Yeeaaaah booyyy

https://x.com/MarcPDumont/status/1710831488868991194?s=20