Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Hot take: all the VHS are good. Even Viral.

Viral is bad but I’ll still watch it anytime. So yeah kinda agree.

PlutoTV plays the first 3 movies all the time and I’ll never not stop and watch ‘em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

Hot take: all the VHS are good. Even Viral.

:hai:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo that's a cool poster

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WeaponX posted:

Viral is bad but I’ll still watch it anytime. So yeah kinda agree.

PlutoTV plays the first 3 movies all the time and I’ll never not stop and watch ‘em.
Viral has Bonestorm though!!!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

V/H/S/85 is in the lower tier with Viral and 99 for me. I liked the lake segment and the dream one was alright but I did not like the presentation and the other segments were bad or just too similar to horror shorts I've seen too many times. V/H/S/94 is still my overall favorite, I think, though 1 and 2 have some of the best individual segments

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the custom song summing up the movie during the credits in V/H/S 85.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Viral has Bonestorm though!!!

Bonestorm is good but the rest of Viral is real bad. Doesn’t help that is was coming off of VHS 2 which is excellent. But like I said, I’ll watch any VHS over and over again and still have a good time.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Sorry to interrupt V/H/S chat (it was my favorite one since 2), but without getting too spoilery does Picnic at Hanging Rock count as horror? It’s been on my watchlist forever and today will be a daytime watch for me and it seems like a good daytime movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

trip9 posted:

Sorry to interrupt V/H/S chat (it was my favorite one since 2), but without getting too spoilery does Picnic at Hanging Rock count as horror? It’s been on my watchlist forever and today will be a daytime watch for me and it seems like a good daytime movie.

AFAIK it's counted in past years, AND it's a drat good movie. Light on the horror but the vibe is unique.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh hell yeah, John Carpenter's Anthology II (Movie Themes 1976-1988) came out yesterday and I just found out about it :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3G3Iclirk

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the custom song summing up the movie during the credits in V/H/S 85.

this delighted me, yes

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Watched Mr. Vampire last night and it loving rules. How are the sequels? 2-4 are on the Criterion Channel as well.

trip9 posted:

Yeah it’s 100% horror. More of a cryptic/existential vibe than creepy or scary but it’s definitely unsettling and if you like slower paced moody horror it’s a fantastic movie.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

To be fair it would be very funny if we named a bonus challenge in the October thread after Picnic at Hanging Rock and didn’t let people watch it

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Please tell me it's at least a mid-'80s style rap song.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I think most V/H/S efforts after the first film have been massive steps down, much less cerebral and less off-the-cuff weird approaches. It's become a kind of inside baseball horror thing for horror fans, not really my bag. 85 was fine, meh.

I did look at the credits to see if Weird Al Yankovich sang that title song, though. He should sue!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Hausu Usher posted:

I think most V/H/S efforts after the first film have been massive steps down, much less cerebral and less off-the-cuff weird approaches. It's become a kind of inside baseball horror thing for horror fans, not really my bag. 85 was fine, meh.

I did look at the credits to see if Weird Al Yankovich sang that title song, though. He should sue!

You are wilddddd if you think Safe Haven is a step down

Tho I will concede I’ve been chasing that high from seeing the first one, it felt so new and cool. Have seen about 500 anthologies since then lol

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 7, 2023

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Crescent Wrench posted:

Please tell me it's at least a mid-'80s style rap song.

It's more 80s metal. I didn't notice the lyrics until a bit in and I thought it mentioned doppelgangers a few times so I got confused how it tied in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's a good "VHS":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm9pvGIUBC4

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We were convinced it was a new Weird Al track they’d somehow managed to get, but alas.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I haven't seen 99 or 85 yet, but Amateur Night, Second Honeymoon, Slumber Party Alien Abduction, Bonestorm, Storm Drain, and Terror are all amazing and justify the series as a whole, imho.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish slumber party alien abduction was more of what I wanted.

Hate those aliens

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I wish slumber party alien abduction was more of what I wanted.

Hate those aliens

this is also my review of No One Will Save You

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those are my aliens! That’s how greys should be

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The 2002 miniseries Taken has cool aliens. I mean they look like typical greens but the poo poo they do is cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just thought the CGI in No One Will etc looked like hammered poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It looked awful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CGI ain't ever gonna be good ever again. I just dealt with it because they at least had good animation, character whatever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

CGI ain't ever gonna be good ever again. I just dealt with it because they at least had good animation, character whatever.

see the thing was, the opening scenes when you barely see the aliens were cool. that's what you gotta do if your cg looks like rear end. it's not an effects problem, it's a filmmaking problem

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They looked janky but it was a good story and I didn’t really give a poo poo. I mean I wish they were slimy rubber goopy boys but oh well

Also enjoyed how they kept changing shapes and sizes, I wanted more- like a 4 armed goro one or a lumpy meatball one

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

OTOH I'd rather see aliens that don't look perfect than blurry, dark, half out of frame ones that obviously being hidden

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really enjoyed VHS85. I imagine a lot of people are down on Teknogod but it gave me such perfect RLM best of the worst vibes until things pop off and we get the great gore effects. I also found Dreamkiller to be a pretty clever execution of a premise I would normally roll my eyes at.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

[No One Will Save You] The CG was bad, but some of the ideas in their design was one of the few things I liked about that movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Honestly, the best part of the new V/H/S was surprise James Ransone, hey buddy, I love you!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was in the trailer lol.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I ain't watching no trailer for a horror movie, that's where they ruin all the good stuff! Like the thing I said!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'd strap a grey across a cannon if that's what you're asking

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the new Hellraiser movie...and it's not awful? It's actually good despite David S. Goyer's best efforts.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
VHS 85 was good. Hard to rank them as individual movies since the quality can vary from segment to segment. One of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned is To Hell and Back. Same people involved in Deadstream, but less annoying. And I loved Deadstream, it's just a hard rewatch because of all the streamer screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Honestly, the best part of the new V/H/S was surprise James Ransone, hey buddy, I love you!

The bigger surprise was that was also Freddy Rodriguez as his partner.