Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lmfaoooo they've got a bike strapped to their car too. ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xaris posted:

dont know if they did or didnt but you are still required to yield to vehicles in an intersection no matter what. that's literally the law. there's almost zero exception for not being at fault in t-boning someone

It’s literally the law to stop for red lights.

Hence, both drivers are fully at fault. You don’t get to complain if you run a red light and crash in the intersection.

They ought to both pay both sets of bills, with the state using the surplus to fund trains.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

if someone is driving faster than you and you're worried about them coming up on you, merge right

always drive the posted speed limit at all times

e: except in inclement weather conditions, in which case you should drive slower

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Oct 7, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Heading out to the empire trail!

Even though it starts in the city! Gotta get into nature first! Can't just ride bike.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That video is a great example of why hurrying through yellow lights is really dangerous. Just stop. Both drivers are "committing" and putting themselves in an awkward position, with the straight driver probably speeding up to beat the light. It becomes unavoidable even if you see what's about to happen.

One of those happened right in front of me once, but the straight driver was in a huge SUV and tried to swerve at the last second, so they flipped and started rolling at really high speed right for me. Luckily there was a larger vehicle in front of me that the SUV landed on top of. I would have been crushed in my little Civic.

(The turning driver fled the scene)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

but if I make it into the intersection before it turns red it’s legal!!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Heading out to the empire trail!

Even though it starts in the city! Gotta get into nature first! Can't just ride bike.

they don't feel safe on bike lanes within the city for some reason

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

apparently for some of them this is a way to defeat license plate reading cameras and dodge tickets

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

if someone is driving faster than you and you're worried about them coming up on you, merge right

always drive the posted speed limit at all times

e: except in inclement weather conditions, in which case you should drive slower

lol my city is full of arterials that are 25mph and have one lane each way. if someone is mad that you're driving 28mph, they're gonna let you know and there ain't poo poo you can do about it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lLuckily there was a larger vehicle in front of me that the SUV landed on top of. I would have been crushed in my little Civic.
not so lucky for the other guy ...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think they had a bloody nose but were fine. Bigger cars are safer for sure, unless they're hurtling toward you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The people in the flipping SUV were pretty hosed up. That was the first time I saw EMTs laughing while at a horrific crash scene.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

how do you not take time to reflect on where your decisions have led you

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

https://v.redd.it/bxiainvo8msb1/DASH_720.mp4

The rare crash where both drivers are totally at fault.
how the gently caress do you not see that coming

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Either way the person clearly wasn't paying attention, but it appears to be from a post to r/idiotsincars titled "She borrowed my friend's Tesla. Still thinks she did nothing wrong" so perhaps it was on autopilot (I assume FSD mode would normally successfully stop at a light)? Or perhaps they just assumed since it was a Tesla it would just magically do the driving even without engaging autopilot/FSD mode.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Oct 7, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cars expensive

https://archive.ph/Jblh8

lol at the woman commuting 2-3 hours from staten island to brooklyn

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

cars expensive

https://archive.ph/Jblh8

lol at the woman commuting 2-3 hours from staten island to brooklyn
There are so many problems in this that it's sort of funny that the take is just "cars are too expensive"

It would be really nice if cars getting this expensive eventually resulted in americans being like "hey maybe we don't like being forced to rely on cars" but I'm not that optimistic

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mystes posted:

There are so many problems in this that it's sort of funny that the take is just "cars are too expensive"

It would be really nice if cars getting this expensive eventually resulted in americans being like "hey maybe we don't like being forced to rely on cars" but I'm not that optimistic

well we all know it goes well beyond that, but the numbers are still pretty lol

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

People have brain farts and just do stupid poo poo.
Which is one of the greatest arguments fro why NOBODY should drive a car or have a world dedicated to moving around 1 ton objects for, 300 pound people.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mystes posted:

"cars are expensive" will be the most easily defeated argument in 10 years.

Solar power is going to create tons of free energy.
Electric Motors are going to be come more efficient and use less energy
and become easier to produce and require less precision than gas motors..

Batteries are going to be more efficient and require less space.
Car parts are going to be much easier to manufacture, and 3d printing whole cars will take off.

And all of this will be cheaper.

Even if, right now, car lanes cannot be taken away, at least stopping lanes from being added, will ensure that in the future people use less cars,
because population growth, and the growing urban density will cause more people to not use cars.

Yeah, I know people are leaving major cities, but major city people are moving to middle density areas;
and at the same time, people from very rural areas are also moving into the middle density areas.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Oct 7, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

"cars are expensive" will be the most easily defeated argument in 10 years.

Solar power is going to create tons of free energy.
Electric Motors are going to be come more efficient and use less energy
and become easier to produce and require less precision than gas motors..

Batteries are going to be more efficient and require less space.
Car parts are going to be much easier to manufacture, and 3d printing whole cars will take off.

And all of this will be cheaper.
thank you. let's make this the world economic forum.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Of course I'll just lump that over here along with "there is no point in investing in public transit because self driving cars will fix everything"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Man

quote:

This time, though, getting a car was even more expensive. The cheapest reliable car he could find, a Toyota Corolla with 89,000 miles, cost $18,240 including taxes and fees. With a 15.2 percent interest rate and an extended warranty, that left him with monthly payments of $451.

It's insane to me that the 3rd owners of cars are paying more for them than the 1st owner who drove it off the lot with 0 miles and had a factory warranty.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Platystemon posted:

the onboard drivers at fault
they're running a red into the intersection & the person turning looks to be staying in their lane and isn't veering into oncoming (it looks like they're turning in tighter than they need right before collision, but that's where they're supposed to be, they enter the turn on the inside lane and that left-hand turn tightens mid intersection as it starts to point uphill, weirdly shaped intersection)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FirstnameLastname posted:

the onboard drivers at fault
they're running a red into the intersection & the person turning looks to be staying in their lane and isn't veering into oncoming (it looks like they're turning in tighter than they need right before collision, but that's where they're supposed to be, they enter the turn on the inside lane and that left-hand turn tightens mid intersection as it starts to point uphill, weirdly shaped intersection)

The PoV driver must speed through the intersection lest she be summarily executed by a maniac behind her.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
that's actually a really bad intersection after looking at it for a second

the hill crest right before it fucks up visibility and then the dedicated turn lane makes it so approaching traffic can't judge if people are yielding or not while the road snaps inward to align with the intersection immediately beforehand, so you don't really have time to survey it before entering, and then it's a split intersection with traffic feeding through a 90° turn into moving traffic in two opposing direction at once

it looks like they didn't bother trying to make it walkable i dont see any crosswalks

irs like in cities skylines where poo poo gets forced in after the fact and doesn't have enough space

Platystemon posted:

The PoV driver must speed through the intersection lest she be summarily executed by a maniac behind her.

they might've had a brake/tire/shock failure actually

you can see them start slowing down pretty early, well before the other car is visible. and it seems timed to be meant to stop at the intersection, but once they crest the hill and are right about where the asphalt changes, the car wobbles side to side without any steering input to cause it + the nose is staying tipped down consistently so they're still braking but it's not really slowing them at all
i can't tell if the dip immediately before impact is from added braking or a sudden steering input, it kinda looks like they're trying to steer onto a deflated tire

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think places like that where a highway suddenly turns into a stroad with lights are kind of bad in general, but it doesn't seem like the driver took slightly too long to take that in so much as they somehow never noticed which seems a bit weird unless they were using something like autopilot and not looking at the road at all

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Have y'all ever seen a freeway cloverleaf cross a bike lane? This is coming off of I-40:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hzV9DYx59rNunJ9k6

mystes
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Have y'all ever seen a freeway cloverleaf cross a bike lane? This is coming off of I-40:

Yeah I have a few of those near me unfortunately. They're laid out in a way where there are much worse lines of sight too.

In one place they redid the road connecting to one of them as this weird split bike lane/sidewalk thing with a design I've never seen before that looks like a deathtrap on its own, too (rather than just having one wider MUP, they split it so that half is a narrow cement sidewalk and half is a narrow asphault bike line thing that keeps going up to sidewalk level and down again, so it would be really easy to get caught on the edge between the bike lane and the sidewalk)

It's pointless because it would only take you to one of the cloverleaf deathtrap anyway and even if you get by it you probably have to cross a couple more highways whichever direction you go

It's extra annoying because they rebuilt a highway overpass a few years ago and they could have kept the old one and turned it into a bike/pedestrian bridge that would have bypassed the cloverleaf at virtually no cost and solved the problems but they just didn't feel like it.

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Oct 7, 2023

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I see a bike lane that terminates to a pedestrian crosswalk

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Twerk from Home posted:

i used to have one of those right down to the cracker barrel near me in one of the midwestern hellholes i used to inhabit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Platystemon posted:

The driver of the car that got struck is completely and utterly oblivious. Pause it a moment before impact and go frame by frame. They're just staring straight ahead with zero awareness of anything that's going on around them.

Everyone here sucks, ban cars, tear up the roads.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mystes posted:

I think places like that where a highway suddenly turns into a stroad with lights are kind of bad in general, but it doesn't seem like the driver took slightly too long to take that in so much as they somehow never noticed which seems a bit weird unless they were using something like autopilot and not looking at the road at all

oh i don't think this was from a line of sight issue this was either someone not paying attention or a mechanical failure, prolly lack of attention

i mentioned that part just because it's a v. visually busy intersection to have suddenly pop into view at the crest of that hill & i bet lots of people hit the island curbing and stuff like that because of it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Do car brakes not require redundancy?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BonHair posted:

not really. however they're not really that complicated and pretty easy to maintain but like many things on a car, most people don't care until it's already failing

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

not really. however they're not really that complicated and pretty easy to maintain but like many things on a car, most people don't care until it's already failing

That's kinda bad. My bike is required to have two independent brakes, and it's a lot harder to kill anyone with that.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

BonHair posted:

dual circuit brakes have been on cars for at least 40 years, so if you lose pressure in a brake line you should only lose half of your brakes, usually one front and one rear. how you react to suddenly losing a big chunk of your braking effort is up to you. I had a servo fail once and while the brakes still completely worked the pedal pressure required was so much greater I can see how someone would just crash

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-67034731

and why wouldn't they just tow the car????

quote:

The council said that forcibly moving cars comes with difficulties surrounding the risk of damaging cars and legal issues.

here's a solution to the legal issues: gently caress you you were told not to park here
and damaging the car? is there any chance of damaging the car doing this poo poo?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Horace posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-67034731

and why wouldn't they just tow the car????

here's a solution to the legal issues: gently caress you you were told not to park here
and damaging the car? is there any chance of damaging the car doing this poo poo?

lol this is from the links below. it's not the first time! https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-61407160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

that's actually a really bad intersection after looking at it for a second

the hill crest right before it fucks up visibility and then the dedicated turn lane makes it so approaching traffic can't judge if people are yielding or not while the road snaps inward to align with the intersection immediately beforehand, so you don't really have time to survey it before entering, and then it's a split intersection with traffic feeding through a 90° turn into moving traffic in two opposing direction at once

It’s an unremarkable intersection of a freeway offramp and an overpassing road.

it looks like they didn't bother trying to make it walkable i dont see any crosswalks

They’re guilty on that one.