Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Nah! you've got one really good move on the table this turn. Do you want to hear about it, or figure it out yourself?

All I can see is jumping to 1112 but I'm not sure if that's in range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thats the one. it is, and you'll be at range 7 to the hunchback

Funnily enough, both the heavy hitters are beat up on the same side. the shadow hawk and trebuchet both might want to think about using facing to present their their left side to be shot.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The HBK-4H has heat sinks in its ammo torso so it's not quite the waddling bomb the HBK-4G is. It's hard to kill one with an ammo explosion, but just being vulnerable should change the way it fights.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

glwgameplayer posted:

As for the Wolverine and Trebuchet, I'm less sure about them. I think the best thing the Wolverine could do right now is just get to our side of the riverbed. The Treb could back off and hide, try and circle the Griffin for a pincer attack, or it could press the attack by getting into point-blank range with the enemy Griffin. It's risky, but I like the idea of making him swear and frantically try to back off from us

I thoroughly endorse plan Treb-In-Face. Three reasons, he has very lousy to-hits at point blank, you're in the rear arc of the Hunch and could just go 'Boo!' at the lordling whilst eliminating the backless mech, and you're in prime position for a humiliating melee attack depending on your choice of weapons fire.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Excellent shots

Gladiator

Going to run to 1119 and unload on the Hunchback and punch it in the rear.

Can I have contingency orders to punch the Griffin instead if the Hunchback is dead by the time melee rolls around?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Thats the one. it is, and you'll be at range 7 to the hunchback

Funnily enough, both the heavy hitters are beat up on the same side. the shadow hawk and trebuchet both might want to think about using facing to present their their left side to be shot.

Yeah idk, I'm extremely bad at working out the ranges on this stuff but I can't count anything but 6 hexes to 1112

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I know it's not as fun and that this is a simulator fight, but this would again be a good turn to back up and break los completely while your wolverine gets closer. Because of where the commando and hunchback are, they likely won't have good movement mods next turn either. I think I'm universe it would make sense to practice conserving your ride like a real Merc vs running in yolo guns blazing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
recruit Cosette after the fight imo

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Yeah idk, I'm extremely bad at working out the ranges on this stuff but I can't count anything but 6 hexes to 1112

I just eyeball things in paint and draw a line if have to, if you're at 6 hexes, great!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

recruit Cosette after the fight imo

Remaining "Cautious" after taking a hit like that is pretty impressive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

I just eyeball things in paint and draw a line if have to, if you're at 6 hexes, great!

Isn't my jump range 5 though??

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
The Shadow Hawk runs cool no matter what, so no worries about that. But I think we need to pile on that Hunchback. I smell blood in the water.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm counting 7 hexes from 1112 to the HBK, and 5 hexes from the TBT to 1112. It's a little hard to count because the grid lines are very thin, though...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

aniviron posted:

Agreed. Steel like that is wasted on some periphery militia.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

She's just keeping in mind that she's in a simulator, although she's probably not enjoying herself much right now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm counting 7 hexes from 1112 to the HBK, and 5 hexes from the TBT to 1112. It's a little hard to count because the grid lines are very thin, though...

Right I think I see the confusion, I'm not talking about weapons range, I'm talking about can I even make the jump to 1112 and I don't think I can because I'm counting six hexes and my jump range is only five

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

aniviron posted:

AJ_Impy posted:

I thoroughly endorse plan Treb-In-Face. Three reasons, he has very lousy to-hits at point blank, you're in the rear arc of the Hunch and could just go 'Boo!' at the lordling whilst eliminating the backless mech, and you're in prime position for a humiliating melee attack depending on your choice of weapons fire.

Screw safety, I want to break this kid. Moving to 1119 and making him watch as I execute his bodyguard. Even with battlefists he'd be rolling a 9 to punch me, and I'll take those odds in exchange for another Mech off the board.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

Screw safety, I want to break this kid. Moving to 1119 and making him watch as I execute his bodyguard. Even with battlefists he'd be rolling a 9 to punch me, and I'll take those odds in exchange for another Mech off the board.

I'm heading to 1119 and I'm less damaged.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

I'm heading to 1119 and I'm less damaged.

Ah, good point. I'll take 1318 0920 then. If I don't end this match with empty SRM bins I'm considering it a personal failure. Yes I know I dumped half of them :v:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 7, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like the commando pilot who apparently has no idea why he's even there

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Got that metal baby grindset

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wolverine

I think I'll just jump to 1212 and shoot at the hunchback. It's a distance I know I can jump, I'm pretty sure I have LOS to it from there and all my weapons would be in range.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I've been doing some more map testing, and while Mud doesn't bog units down, Tundra hexes definitely do. So, expect some of those next mission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
IIRC heavy mud bogs down vehicles but only bogs down 'Mechs if they jump into a mud hex (and if their jets are in the torso they can just jump out again no problem).

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Ah jeez, you're right. Page 48 of TacOps says loud and clear that mechs don't get bogged down in Mud. I clearly need to work on my reading comprehension. :eng99:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's easy to miss, because it makes sense that they would.

Mud just isn't presumed to be very deep, so 'Mechs can just power through; and mud of sufficient depth to bog down a 'Mech would be a depth 1 water hex anyway which is already a worse sort of hex to move through by default, even if you don't have to roll to get stuck in it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I've also done a bit of fiddling with the mapsheet layout. I didn't like the fact that there was a lot of dead space at the bottom, so I changed the style a bit and put a hex key down there as well.

I'll still manually label heavy woods / smoke hexes, but this should help players determine what hexes they are moving into.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What are the effects of rough terrain?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Rough terrain costs +1 additional MP to enter.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 10

“You’re in trouble now,” Jenna whispered to herself as she tracked the Fusilier Hunchback across the narrow flats south of the riverbed. The mech was clearly having difficulty getting back up to speed after recovering from its fall, and its boxy silhouette made it easy for her targeting systems to identify. She toggled the zoom function on her primary viewscreen, then carefully lined up her reticule with the Hunchback’s profile. After a few moments a green diode flashed on her control panel, indicating that her SRMs had locked on.

“Okay people, I think it’s time to get rid of that Hunchback,” Jenna announced. “Sable Lance, fire on my mark. Three… two… one… fire!”

Thunder shook the battlefield as the four battlemechs of Sable Lance poured their collective firepower into the Hunchback. Yukiko struck first, her PPC tearing into what was left of the mech’s chest plate. The Hunchback turned towards her, then stumbled as five different lasers carved glowing grooves into its head and torso. Smoke and flames erupted across its body as a stream of missiles struck it from the north, south and east, with several managing to slip through the cracks to detonate deep within the mech’s hull.

Despite the withering barrage, the Hunchback fought back ferociously. The Fusilier mech raked Alexander’s Trebuchet with its Autocannon, but it was clearly a last gasp of defiance. No mech, not even the famously tough Hunchback, could endure such punishment for long. As volley after volley of missiles slipped past its shredded armour and ravaged its internals, something vital finally broke. The mech sagged, then fell to one knee. It wobbled for a moment, leg actuators straining, and Jenna briefly thought it might struggle back up, but then another flight of SRMs punched through its ruined chest. Smoking and venting engine plasma, the Hunchback finally pitched onto its side and lay still.

“Mechwarrior eliminated. Fusiliers, you now have two mechs left.” Gudrun Magos said.

Jenna grinned triumphantly, then paused, struck by a sudden idea. She reached for her comms and keyed into channel 3-C.

“Hey Gudrun. This is Jenna. Do you read me?”

Gudrun responded immediately. “I hear you, Commander Sable. Is there a problem? Your pod reads all green.”

“I know. I’m calling to ask you a favour.”

“A favour?”

“Yeah.” Jenna’s grin widened. “Would you mind shutting off Etienne’s autoeject? We’re in the endgame now and I don’t want him disconnecting in a huff.”

Gudrun chuckled softly. “Well… these pods are pretty old. Glitches like that do happen from time to time. Alright then. Just give me a ping when you’re ready to end it.”

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Head! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Head, 4/9 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 7: Hits Rear Right Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear Right Torso, 7/12 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 5, rolls 6: Hits Centre Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Centre Torso, 6/26 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! One Critical Hit sustained! Gyro Hit!
-Fires LRM-5 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 9: 4 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 4 damage to Right Torso, 16/20 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 7: Hits Centre Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 1/26 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Left Arm! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 3/8 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Arm! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 11: Hits Right Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 11/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 6: 4 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Right Torso (9/20 Armour remaining), Right Torso (7/20 Armour remaining), Right Arm (5/16 Armour remaining) and Centre Torso (0/26 Armour, 11/16 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)).
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Two Critical Hits sustained! Engine Hit! Gyro Destroyed!
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 10: 3 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Torso (13/20 Armour remaining), Centre Torso (9/16 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)) and Right Leg (18/20 Armour remaining).
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) needs 11, rolls 11: 4 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Right Arm (3/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (1/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (0/16 Armour, 7/8 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)) and Right Leg (16/20 Armour remaining).

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 12, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/10 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 8, rolls 12: Hits Left Arm! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 10 damage to Left Arm, 0/10 Armour, 6/8 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Arm! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 8, rolls 12: Hits Centre Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 13/22 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Centre Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 8/22 Armour remaining.
-Fires Small Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) would like to punch Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) but cannot do so because it has fired arm-mounted weapons!

Physical attacks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 19 heat, sinks 18 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 3 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 15 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 8 heat. Overheating!

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 24 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 15 heat. Overheating!

Piloting checks for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 8; Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
Missed a Kick: needs 5, rolls 6; Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
Gyro Destroyed: Automatic Fail!
-Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) falls on its left side, suffering 5 damage to Right Torso (1/20 Armour remaining).
-Pilot Cosette Delacroix must roll an 11+ to avoid a Pilot Hit; rolls 7: Fails!

-

Cosette Delacroix (Hunchback HBK-4H) has taken 2 damage this turn! Cosette Delacroix must pass two consciousness tests or fall unconscious!
-Cosette Delacroix must roll a 3+ to remain conscious! Rolls 6: Succeeds!
-Cosette Delacroix must roll a 5+ to remain conscious! Rolls 3: Fails!
--Cosette Delacroix blacks out!

-

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) is overheating! Must roll a 4+ to avoid automatic shutdown! Pilot unconscious: Automatic Fail!
-Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) shuts down due to excessive heat!

-

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) is eliminated due to Gyro destruction, pilot unconsciousness, and overheat shutdown!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (4/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 14th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Unconscious pilots can't eject, so the Hunchback is going to stick around on the battlefield until Cosette wakes up. It's definitely been eliminated though, so feel free to ignore it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:hellyeah:

I vote we eliminate the commando next and then literally just beat the griffin to death

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There's the crits I was fishing for. That Hunchback tore me up pretty good before going down, time to play evasive again.

Moving behind the hill at 1222 to cool off and line up for next turn.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 11, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Any severed limbs handy?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Commando next...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

After eliminating the Commando, it might be fun to take the Griffin apart with exclusively melee attacks, if you think you can manage it. Would drag out the fight a bit perhaps, but it would certainly net you the cbill bonus.

What does the sim pod do to simulate pilot unconsciousness?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like to imagine pilot checks are simulated by a pepper spray dispenser

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Like I said earlier, a rubber mallet pops out from behind the command couch and clubs them into unconsciousness.

If you want a serious answer, I dunno. Simulators aren't really discussed in any great detail in any of the fiction or sourcebooks I've read. My guess would be that there's some kind of RNG that triggers whenever the pod registers a head hit, and if it fails it locks down the controls for an arbitrary period of time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I assumed it had to be something like that; I was just imagining the pod shaking like a paint mixer. Not sure how I missed your rubber mallet comment but I like it, it has the right amount of whimsy to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Like I said earlier, a rubber mallet pops out from behind the command couch and clubs them into unconsciousness.

If you want a serious answer, I dunno. Simulators aren't really discussed in any great detail in any of the fiction or sourcebooks I've read. My guess would be that there's some kind of RNG that triggers whenever the pod registers a head hit, and if it fails it locks down the controls for an arbitrary period of time.

Maybe it also kills all lighting in the pod as well, quite literally 'blacking out' the pilot.