Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
No One Will Save You was good stuff, but I think my favorite aspect is that after the first dose of crazy events, the protagonist just tries to leave town. It didn’t work out, but more horror heroes should consider this option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm watching the movie May from 2002 and wow they had NO idea how to advertise this movie huh

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'll stand by my opinion that there's not a better ending in all of horror than May.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

May was definitely a teenage fave, haven't revisited it in millenia but I'm sure it holds up

gey muckle mowser posted:

I still haven't seen May even though it's been on my watchlist for like a decade.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

May is one of the most thematically coherent movies I’ve ever seen.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

May, like Ravenous, is a 10/10 movie that seems kind of impossible to advertise for beyond "hey, weirdos!"

weekly font posted:

May rules so fuckin hard.

MrMojok posted:

Due to numerous recommendations in this thread, I’ve just watched May.

drat y'all. I can take a hint. May is some good poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

checkplease posted:

No One Will Save You was good stuff, but I think my favorite aspect is that after the first dose of crazy events, the protagonist just tries to leave town. It didn’t work out, but more horror heroes should consider this option.

Gonna talk about myself again but when I did an earlier alien abduction short we shot most of a scene where after realizing the main character was being abducted he left his house and stayed at a hotel but oops the aliens will get you there too.

We didn’t get to the hotel part because the short cost 60 bucks to make but we got a bunch of footage riding the light rail looking sad lol. Which could be it’s own short film.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

WeaponX posted:

You are wilddddd if you think Safe Haven is a step down

Tho I will concede I’ve been chasing that high from seeing the first one, it felt so new and cool. Have seen about 500 anthologies since then lol

There are segments that are fine, sure. Your second sentence is much more what I meant to say.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

The 2002 miniseries Taken has cool aliens. I mean they look like typical greens but the poo poo they do is cool.

greens?!? you think the typical alien is green!!? what the gently caress

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dorium posted:

The bigger surprise was that was also Freddy Rodriguez as his partner.

What the heck! I didn’t recognize either of those guys!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

drat y'all. I can take a hint. May is some good poo poo.

I also just watched May and can report that it owns bones. :yohoho:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

CelticPredator posted:

Gonna talk about myself again but when I did an earlier alien abduction short we shot most of a scene where after realizing the main character was being abducted he left his house and stayed at a hotel but oops the aliens will get you there too.

We didn’t get to the hotel part because the short cost 60 bucks to make but we got a bunch of footage riding the light rail looking sad lol. Which could be it’s own short film.

Sounds cool and like a good idea at least. Something extra scary about a terror that you just can’t escape even when you try.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I entered some kind of spooky fugue-state (a boo!-gue-state) and turned a woodshed into a giant monster face :

It's all just crafting foam and roofing nails. I wanted to see how that kind of foam handled an October of rain before I committed to it, so this year I'm just prototyping. If the foam survives I'll be more careful and spend more then 10 minutes on it. (The foam comes in sheets : I cut those apart with just a pocket knife, then roofing-nailed the teeth directly into the woodshed's little eaves ; the eyes are just colored in with sharpie and nailed to blocks of firewood, which I then put on the roof.) So far I'm thinking I need to snag some cheap LEDs and put them behind the eyes, and then I want to remove that tarp and replace it with a big pink bag of leaves that'll blow around and be a "tongue".

Also that woodshed looks directly into a neighbor's bedroom. He's cool but I still think I'm gonna have to bake him a pie to say "Sorry I made you look at a giant monster face first thing in the morning, every morning."

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In this thread, Leguizamo has goodwill because he played THE VIOLATOR, surely?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He was one of the more solid parts of Land of the Dead.

He’s pretty solid in everything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MrMojok posted:

I'll give Leguizamo goodwill because he was in Super Mario Bros, To Wong Foo, THEN because he played The Violator, in that order.

Anyway, I watched V/H/S85 and between it and watching the original V/H/S a few days ago, I guess I just need to make my peace with just not being an anthology person.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Did I see fuckin Balzac: The Jaws if Dearh in VHS85?!?!? Because including Gwar in your movie is always a good thing

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Totally Killer was cute and fun. Definitely need to add May to the top of my too watch list, as I've been meaning to get to it practically since it came out

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Watched Mr. Vampire last night and it loving rules. How are the sequels? 2-4 are on the Criterion Channel as well.

Would like to know this as well. Mr. Vampire owns bones!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MrMojok posted:

What thread bears ill towards Leguizamo?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Personally I have goodwill for him because of the phone sex scene in Spun.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Watched Mr. Vampire last night and it loving rules. How are the sequels? 2-4 are on the Criterion Channel as well.

I was considering it for my Birth of Horror challenge qualifier, since I'm tapped out on all the big '85 movies and there's only so many movies set in Alaska. But it's making the rounds in the challenge now, which is nice, it's always fun when movies are getting multiple reviews and some chatter.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
magic cop (mr. vampire 5) is the best of the sequels

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Sounds cool and like a good idea at least. Something extra scary about a terror that you just can’t escape even when you try.

Yeah the Dark Skies model of alien fuckery

They came thousands of light years across the yawning gulfs of space to gently caress with you specifically, what makes you think sleeping in a bigger building two towns down the road is going to throw them off?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Watched Saw X today, was somewhat underwhelmed as a fan of the series. Definitely better than Saw 3d and beyond but I'm not sure it's the best since the original.

Mostly in the mix but I think 4-6 are wildly underrated.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I feel extremely confident in saying Pet Sematary: Bloodlines is the worst big release of this weekend

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just want to post this ending spoiler for exorcist the believer because it made me laugh at the fact that blumhouse paid 400 million for this poo poo

the demon says he needs to choose which of the girls gets to live and which one will die, and if a choice is not made, he will kill them both. Tony yells that he chooses Katherine, and Angela flatlines. Suddenly, the demon reveals the one that was chosen would be the one who died. Katherine screams for her parents as the demon drags her to Hell, while Angela starts to breathe.||

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Stink Billyums posted:

magic cop (mr. vampire 5) is the best of the sequels

Magic Cop does rule but it's not actually a Mr Vampire movie despite the name.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Parallel Monsters is a Top 3 VHS short (excluding Raatma).

What the hell is wrong with you people?!!!?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

Parallel Monsters is a Top 3 VHS short (excluding Raatma).

What the hell is wrong with you people?!!!?

A good horror short story or film should leave you wanting more, and that's the reason Parallel Monsters is in my top three.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's apparently very hard to find a decent copy of the original 1922 Nosferatu without commercials. You gotta find the BFI copy for the original color tint'ing done to the film.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I just want to post this ending spoiler for exorcist the believer because it made me laugh at the fact that blumhouse paid 400 million for this poo poo

the demon says he needs to choose which of the girls gets to live and which one will die, and if a choice is not made, he will kill them both. Tony yells that he chooses Katherine, and Angela flatlines. Suddenly, the demon reveals the one that was chosen would be the one who died. Katherine screams for her parents as the demon drags her to Hell, while Angela starts to breathe.||

I'll say this much for Exorcist: Believer, of course it was DGG, because I don't think I've enjoyed a movie less the more I think about it like this since Halloween Ends.

Someone stop that man.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Id like to know who Universal/Peacock paid $400 million TO for the rights to The Exorcist

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

greens?!? you think the typical alien is green!!? what the gently caress

The aliens in Taken are green!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'll give Leguizamo goodwill because he was in Super Mario Bros, To Wong Foo, THEN because he played The Violator, in that order.

Anyway, I watched V/H/S85 and between it and watching the original V/H/S a few days ago, I guess I just need to make my peace with just not being an anthology person.

Someone hasn’t seen Burning Moon

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Someone hasn’t seen Burning Moon

Oh, there are anthologies I enjoy, like Body Bags or Tales from the Hood. But most of the time they just end up feeling like I'd rather just watch full movies where each story has room to breathe.

(I haven't seen Burning Moon, so I shall put it on the list)

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

MrMojok posted:

Id like to know who Universal/Peacock paid $400 million TO for the rights to The Exorcist

I think morgan creek picked up the rights to future movie/tv productions when they made exorcist 3, probably for very little.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm rewatching May because everyone was talking about it and I remembered it takes place partially on Halloween (and I still need that Bingo slot) and I'd just like to get on the record as saying that there's nothing wrong with Jeremy Sisto I'm sure, but he gives me big 'selling weed to high school kids' vibes. It's not his fault, he just radiates 'back of the convenience store' energy and I don't know why.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gaz2k21 posted:

Did I see fuckin Balzac: The Jaws if Dearh in VHS85?!?!? Because including Gwar in your movie is always a good thing

you did, ya. it’s only a few seconds but there’s GWAR footage in that bitch

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm rewatching May because everyone was talking about it and I remembered it takes place partially on Halloween (and I still need that Bingo slot) and I'd just like to get on the record as saying that there's nothing wrong with Jeremy Sisto I'm sure, but he gives me big 'selling weed to high school kids' vibes. It's not his fault, he just radiates 'back of the convenience store' energy and I don't know why.

It’s certainly not just you since I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play a character that wasn’t at least half sketchy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was pretty funny in Exorcist Believer that they violently blinded Ellen Berstyn’s character and sent a little girl’s soul straight to hell.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

It was pretty funny in Exorcist Believer that they violently blinded Ellen Berstyn’s character and sent a little girl’s soul straight to hell.

And then afterwards, tried to play it off as "Well at least Violently-Blinded-By-Having-A-Crucifix-Stabbed-Into-Her-Eyes Ellen Burstyn got a happy ending because we got Linda Blair in for 30 seconds of filming and please don't think about how a child died and is now in hell or how, to restate, Ellen Burstyn had her eyes stabbed out."

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 8, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

After watching May due to thread recommendations, today I watched Pearl.

I was blown away. Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t quite this.

So much of the film has a sort of whimsical feel to it, for want of a better term.

The long monologue was spellbinding, and Mia Goth is an absolute star.

I guess I will go on and watch X now, although from what I’ve heard it’s quite a different picture.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This energy is in full force in the first Wrong Turn. He is noticeably older than the rest of the main cast.