Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

the panacea posted:

Keeping any type of monkey, ape or parrot as pets should be banned.

What's wrong with pet dinosaurs specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

No. 6 posted:

This is exactly what I thought happened

What's surprising is that their pet chimp was not the one to attack them; they were visiting him at a refuge and were attacked by two other chimps who had gotten out of their enclosure. Shortly afterwards, their chimp got out and disappeared into the California countryside, never to be seen again - so it seems that refuge had some real problems with containment.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

15 minute timer resets each time it changes color. Sorry buddy that's the rules for eye exposure.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

this was how both of the eyewashes on the production side of the loving injectable drug plant I worked at looked when you ran them, and both were at least 20 feet away from the nearest drain.

EH&S procedure was standard copy, with a whisper out the side of the mouth "*get someone to find the EH&S person on duty (if they are there, there are only 2 and they will not be there on your night shift) and get them to provide you with disposable eyewash bottles that are locked in a cage in their office, but also just wear goggles and safety glasses all the time and nothing will happen probably"

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 7, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

What's surprising is that their pet chimp was not the one to attack them; they were visiting him at a refuge and were attacked by two other chimps who had gotten out of their enclosure. Shortly afterwards, their chimp got out and disappeared into the California countryside, never to be seen again - so it seems that refuge had some real problems with containment.

there's a chimp skeleton partially engulfed in a Sequoia somewhere that is going to start a new cult

EDIT

for content - aren't most eyewash stations like that plumbed off the sprinkler line? because that looks exactly like sprinkler water :barf:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vampire Panties posted:

for content - aren't most eyewash stations like that plumbed off the sprinkler line? because that looks exactly like sprinkler water :barf:

the ones at my drug plant were, yeah

the last plant I worked at had a station connected to the faucet of a sink in a utility room so at least you could be assured of the water quality, and then bottle stations on the walls all over

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Vampire Panties posted:

there's a chimp skeleton partially engulfed in a Sequoia somewhere that is going to start a new cult

EDIT

Eyewash stations are also supposed to be flushed regularly - I want to say monthly? - explicitly because that water gets filthy. A ton of places are simply too understaffed/poorly maintained to keep up with it, though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AtomikKrab posted:

I like to wash my eyes with the black gunk, helps uh... scrub it good.

For some reason the video wasn't playing all the way for me initially, and I thought "black gunk" was a bit hyperbolic. SURE it's not the world's cleanest water, but .... and then :catstare:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shooting Blanks posted:

Eyewash stations are also supposed to be flushed regularly - I want to say monthly? - explicitly because that water gets filthy. A ton of places are simply too understaffed/poorly maintained to keep up with it, though.

EHS comes by and runs ours for a couple minutes every week. Same with the shower but they're the same pipe so whatever.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Computer viking posted:

i'd bet money that the place just killed the chimp (purposefully or otherwise) and covered it up. i do not buy a chimp just disappearing like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Achmed Jones posted:

i'd bet money that the place just killed the chimp (purposefully or otherwise) and covered it up. i do not buy a chimp just disappearing like that.

I like to think that Moe escaped into the woods, hopped a train, and eventually got a job as a farmhand in some rural town where nobody asks too many questions. He don't talk much but he's real good with the animals y'know :unsmith:

MrQwerty posted:

this was how both of the eyewashes on the production side of the loving injectable drug plant I worked at looked when you ran them, and both were at least 20 feet away from the nearest drain.

Our stations drain directly out a pipe on the bottom onto the floor. Supposedly the water goes down the floor drain ten feet away, but if you're running it for the proper 15 minutes, you're going to have quite a flood to deal with regardless. It seems ridiculous to me, but I suppose the idea is that it's better to have an eyewash station that makes a mess than to not have one at all because you couldn't plumb it into a sewer? Or maybe that setup was legal at some point and it was grandfathered in?

I'm sure it contributed to the 5 years of non-maintenance I mentioned, though. You gotta attach a fitting and run a hose to the drain if you don't want to flood the shop with every inspection. Ain't no inspector got time for that

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you use ublock origin (if not, you really should) as your desktop adblocker of choice, you can simply click the no-script button and refresh on most of those types of registration nags to bypass them. It works on the esquire article. I still didn't read it because I just don't care. I just wanted to share how to bypass the paywall in case someone didn't know.

I use this website to read paywalled articles: https://12ft.io/

Here it is for the chimp article https://12ft.io/proxy?&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.esquire.com%2Fnews-politics%2Fa5609%2Fchimpanzee-attack-0409

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 7, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Achmed Jones posted:

Nonsense, they gave it a very nice job at Neuralink where I imagine it is contributing to scientific progress to this day

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Our stations drain directly out a pipe on the bottom onto the floor. Supposedly the water goes down the floor drain ten feet away, but if you're running it for the proper 15 minutes, you're going to have quite a flood to deal with regardless. It seems ridiculous to me, but I suppose the idea is that it's better to have an eyewash station that makes a mess than to not have one at all because you couldn't plumb it into a sewer? Or maybe that setup was legal at some point and it was grandfathered in?

There was a wholesale shower station in the dedicated chemistry lab at my high school which IIRC had just a bit of tile and a single drain with nothing to prevent the water from spilling all over the room. I guess the logic was that if somebody got exposed to something so hazardous (or got set on fire) that they needed to immediately be doused in water then the resulting water damage to the building was an ancillary concern. I wanna say the setup had an eyewash station of some sort too but it's been so long I can't remember. There was a sink right next to it as was the standard in classrooms here for some inexplicable reason, not that it'd be much help if you needed to rinse out your eyes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

If you like that audio, you’ll probably like this (which I’m pretty sure I stole from this thread): https://youtu.be/cuxZ2u8-WXg?si=zg9hQdcb4Yglodf1

These are both great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The horrifying thing that happened is 100% exactly what you’d think. “When his pet chimp got put in a sanctuary, he got mauled by one of the other chimps at the sanctuary” is not really much of a twist. Do not mess around with chimps.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/kaJX9Pk.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Entropic posted:

The horrifying thing that happened is 100% exactly what you’d think. “When his pet chimp got put in a sanctuary, he got mauled by one of the other chimps at the sanctuary” is not really much of a twist.

No, I think it's still a pretty surprising twist. When two people raise a chimpanzee like their son and keep insisting that he's sweet and gentle and wouldn't hurt a fly, the expected outcome is that eventually their sweet baby reverts to ape mode and eats their faces. Nobody is surprised.

So the story is yes, the guy did get his face eaten by a chimpanzee in the end -- but it was a totally different chimpanzee that happened to escape its cage while they were visiting Moe. In theory it could have happened to anyone at the sanctuary that day. Lol

Moe never hurt anyone aside from biting that one lady's finger. When they put him in the sanctuary he was listless and sad and stopped eating, and eventually he just escaped and disappeared. Maybe he really was as kind and gentle as they said.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just don't know why we keep showing the apes Face/Off

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Well I would simply not sit on a bench made of lava

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My grandfather was a handy fellow, and lived in his house for over 50 years. When he died and we went to sell the house we ran into problems because we discovered the full extent of his DIY work in the electrical, plumbing and heating systems.

Let’s just say he was a man who considered the building code a ‘suggestion’, at best.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Let my mans live there

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Wistful of Dollars posted:

My grandfather was a handy fellow, and lived in his house for over 50 years. When he died and we went to sell the house we ran into problems because we discovered the full extent of his DIY work in the electrical, plumbing and heating systems.

Let’s just say he was a man who considered the building code a ‘suggestion’, at best.

"I think it went like this 35 years ago, why shouldn't it work now?"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Computer viking posted:

Moe got sent to a new, different chimp refuge where he supposedly escaped

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

God Hole posted:

Yeah he never made it to the giant sequoia groves.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

God Hole posted:

Oh right, I missed the relocation. That seems even worse, since it suggests it wasn't just the first one that had issues.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s25aw3om4f1r0uzl6.mp4

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

loving hell

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Computer viking posted:

Oh right, I missed the relocation. That seems even worse, since it suggests it wasn't just the first one that had issues.

I think that four feet tall humanoids with five times the strength of a normal adult human, giant fangs and a considerable capacity for climbing and learning might just generally be hard to contain. What they can't break, they can climb over, and what they can't break or climb over, they can probably puzzle their way around.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It is kind of a worst case scenario, isn't it.

I'm reminded of someone warning that the problem with keeping a racoon as a pet is that they are incredibly curious, kind of clever, and have opposable thumbs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is one of those “well duh” moments but it occurs to me that here in Vancouver there aren’t any guards on the opposite side a vehicle enters from to prevent exactly this. But I guess wherever this is the idea of someone trying to sneak over the crossing on a diagonal is the more pressing concern.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
In that moment you just have to punch it and push through the guards. They're a deterrent not a cage.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sagebrush posted:

No, I think it's still a pretty surprising twist. When two people raise a chimpanzee like their son and keep insisting that he's sweet and gentle and wouldn't hurt a fly, the expected outcome is that eventually their sweet baby reverts to ape mode and eats their faces. Nobody is surprised.

So the story is yes, the guy did get his face eaten by a chimpanzee in the end -- but it was a totally different chimpanzee that happened to escape its cage while they were visiting Moe. In theory it could have happened to anyone at the sanctuary that day. Lol

Moe never hurt anyone aside from biting that one lady's finger. When they put him in the sanctuary he was listless and sad and stopped eating, and eventually he just escaped and disappeared. Maybe he really was as kind and gentle as they said.

I didn't read the article and I could be way wrong on this but:

I remember watching a documentary on this incident and I think the two chimps were thought to have made a targeted attack. It was thought that they were jealous of the attention Moe was getting and/or viewing him as invading their territory. They were separated from Moe so couldnt do anything to Moe and attacked his humans basically out of spite.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gL3cDBg.mp4

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

David Attenborough voice: And here we see the prey deftly avoiding the sudden lunge of the much larger predator

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BrassRoots posted:

In that moment you just have to punch it and push through the guards. They're a deterrent not a cage.

To stop at the thing you’ve literally been trained to stop at is an understandable reaction while under stress I think. Bad design, if you expect people to keep driving then don’t put anything in the way.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That was the PO for our house. Guy was a hell of a finish carpenter, and mistakenly assumed that that skill set extended to plumbing & electric.

It did not. Oakum to ‘seal’ a 1-1/2” galvanized pipe into a 4” cast-iron waste line.

Flying splices in the attic crawls, no wire nuts or boxes, just twist ‘em together & ball it up with friction tape. House should have burned down at least four times.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well you are a handy fellow, but you steam a good ham

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sagebrush posted:

the people who managed to raise a chimp to age 30 with a shorter bite record than the average chihuahua are better qualified to handle a chimp than the place where chimps keep notably escaping from?!? holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They're just gonna put up luxury trash cans and charge triple the rent.