Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Greg Legg posted:

The breatheteq masks are great. One of my favorite finds from this thread.

There's a coupon for 10% using code MASKS4ALL

https://www.reddit.com/r/Masks4All/comments/16u4sqe/breatheteq_kn95_discount_code/

Hoping this time I don't get negged on why anyone would want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Oracle posted:

report back if the nose wire holds up. That’s my primary worry with hacking those.

euphronius posted:

He’s still pretty sick and not really well enough to be walking around a lot but today they realised that the UK no longer has compulsory isolation for people who have covid so they hired a wheelchair for him and went back to visiting tourist spots

lol

If he's not well enough to walk around he should rest. They try to justify being out with covid infections by pointing out it's not against the rules, but the problem that was first introduced was him not being well enough to sightsee anyway.

space chandeliers posted:

How the gently caress do people enjoy anything while being in that state of health, been wondering this the whole goddamn pandemic. Just having a cold or loving allergies for me means gently caress everything I'm just gonna be a sack of poo poo for a couple days.

It's about having done the thing. If they don't do the thing they will have FOMO.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Article trying to address whether Novavax might be better than the mRNAs, but essentially concludes that it seems more or less the same, so :shrug:

Funnily enough Topol agrees with the thread consensus: would prefer Novavax for the potentially broader protection, but eventually let access decide in favor of Pfizer. The article is worth a read if you find this stuff interesting, here just an excerpt following Topol.

https://www.science.org/content/article/should-you-pick-novavax-s-covid-19-shot-over-mrna-options posted:

Should you pick Novavax’s COVID-19 shot over mRNA options?
Limited data and lack of head-to-head studies make comparisons tricky

For cardiologist Eric Topol, this week’s vaccine news presented a personal dilemma. Topol, who directs the Scripps Research Translational Institute and is a popular commenter on COVID-19 research, had hoped to get an updated COVID-19 vaccine from Novavax, rather than a messenger RNA (mRNA) shot from Pfizer or Moderna. Novavax relies on an older, protein-based approach that has shown long-lasting effects against other pathogens, and Topol wondered whether it might produce more durable protection. On Tuesday, it seemed he might get his chance: a drugstore he visited for an mRNA vaccine ran out of doses, and hours later the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized a Novavax shot well-matched to current COVID-19 variants. The green light marks the first time Novavax will be widely available to teens and adults.

“It’s hard to know how it compares” to mRNA vaccines, Topol admits; there are no head-to-head studies to rely on. In clinical trials, Novavax appeared less likely than mRNA shots to cause side effects like headache and fatigue. But how does it stack up against mRNA vaccines when it comes to protection against SARS-CoV-2? The question has been vexingly difficult to answer.
(..)
As for Topol, upcoming travel and uncertainty about Novavax’s availability led him to opt against waiting. He got a Pfizer shot at a nearby grocery store this week—though he still wonders whether and how a dose of Novavax might have been different.

It should be noted that the article skips over in vitro trials, which is one of the drivers for the thread being interested in Novavax. Which is a shame.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Oct 7, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Graph of most recent 5 months' sublineages and recombinants sampled in Washington state. Everything is put together using data from GISAID and Nextclade Web v2.14.1. Many thanks as always to all the labs that continue to sequence and upload!

Weeks with fewer than 200 sequences are considered "incomplete" and weeks with fewer than 100 sequences are considered "very incomplete." As of posting all 22 weeks shown are "incomplete" with 12 of those being "very incomplete." The week of Sep-24 is not in the graph as there are only 16 sequences, however the data for it is in the table.

And for fun, additional tables below illustrate changes due to recent backfill.

Summary of the different sources of sequenced samples taken in Washington over the past six months. Values may not add up to 100% due to rounding. "% Air." is the percent of sequences that were done by international travelers who volunteered to be swabbed at the counter in SeaTac. "% Com." is the percent of samples sequenced that month that are credited to have been taken from the community at large. "% Unk." is the number of sequences sampled that month that has no metadata on origin.
pre:
Month	# Seq.	% Air.	% Com.	% Unk.
Sep	373	28.2	60.6	11.3
Aug	520	13.7	49.8	36.5
Jul	456	12.1	50.5	37.5
Jun	349	18.7	27.5	53.9
May	544	24.3	40.1	35.7
Apr	822	13.7	57.6	28.7
Definitions of aliases referenced in Washington state's sequencing graphs and tables:
  • BA.2* includes aliases BN.1*, BR.2.1, CH.1*, CM.8.1.2, DV*, FK.1*, and FR.1* and excludes BA.2.86*
  • BA.5* includes aliases BE.1.4.2, BQ* (except BQ.1*), and BW.1.1.2
  • BQ.1* includes aliases DN.1.1.4, DT.2, EN.1, FB* , and FQ.1
  • FL* is an alias of XBB.1.9.1.*
  • EG* is an alias of XBB.1.9.2.* and includes HK.3 and HV.1
  • FY* is alias of XBB.1.22.1*
  • X* alias of any recombinant, includes XAY.2, XBB* (excluding list below), XBF, XBL.3, XCF, and GL.1 (XAY.1.1.1.*)
  • XBB* alias of an Omicron-Omicron recombinant (BJ.1 and BM.1.1.1) includes aliases FE.1*, FP.2.1, FY*, GA.3, HU.1.1 and excludes the following:
  • XBB.1.5* includes aliases EK.2, EL.1, EU.1*, FG*, FH.1, FT.1, GB.1, GC.1, GF.1, GK*, GR.1, GV.1, HP.1.1, and HT.2
  • XBB.1.16* includes alias FU*, GY*, HF.1, and JF.1
  • XBB.2.3* includes aliases GE.1, GJ.1*, GS.1, HH.1
  • FLip mutation found locally in XBB.1.5.70, some XBB.1.5 , some XBB.1.16.6, some EG.5.1, DV.7*, some FL.2.3, GK*, HK.3*, and JF.1
[edit] formatting

Zantie has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Oct 7, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
If anyone is planning to try to get anything from walgreens next week: be aware

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/06/business/walgreens-pharmacists-walkouts-protest-working-conditions/index.html

quote:

Walgreens walkout: Your pharmacy might be closed next week

quote:

New York
CNN

Employees at two of the largest drugstore chains in the United States say harsh working conditions make it difficult to safely fill prescriptions, which could put the health of their customers at risk. Now, they’re demanding change by staging a series of walkouts across the country.

Pharmacy employees at some Walgreens stores, including pharmacists, technicians and support staff, are planning a walkout between October 9-11, an organizer, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution from the chain, confirmed to CNN. Some employees plan to walk out for just one day, while others expect to shutter their pharmacies for all three days.

Employees at more than 500 of America’s approximately 9,000 Walgreens stores across the United States have expressed interest and solidarity, a Walgreens pharmacy employee and walkout organizer said, though fewer will likely end up participating.

CNN spoke to employees at three Walgreens stores in three states who said they plan on walking out.

The planned action comes after pharmacy employees walked off the job at multiple CVS stores in the Kansas City area last week.

Walgreens CEO steps down
The coordinated action at some Walgreens stores is in response to what pharmacy employees call burdensome prescription and vaccination expectations levied on pharmacists from corporate management, according to the organizer. As a result, employees often find themselves falling behind and dealing with angry customers.

The company sets performance expectations based on the number of team members each pharmacy should have, said the pharmacy worker. However, in reality, staffing is much lower than that. At the same time, the worker said, they’ve cut training hours for new technicians.

“We don’t believe that Walgreens is allowing us to give our patients safe care on a daily basis,” the organizer explained. “Walgreens isn’t responding, they’re not fixing those things.”

A representative from Walgreens said the company has increased training for new pharmacists but has put a pause on what it called “non-critical” training during the busy immunization season.

Walgreens representatives also told CNN that there have never been corporate quotas and that all task-based metrics for retail pharmacy staff as part of team members’ performance reviews were eliminated last year. The company said it has made $265 million in incremental investments in its nationwide pharmacy team this fiscal year and has created dedicated positions to manage inventory and administrative tasks for pharmacists.

Still, one pharmacy employee who said staff at their store will participate in the walkout on Monday told CNN that they are expected and incentivized to administer more vaccines. “I spend almost all of my day in the shot room, and if I’m not in the shot room I’m filling prescriptions because we’re so behind,” they said.

“There have been nights where I’ve been on the verge of tears because of how hard it is,” they said. “I had a patient give me a fist bump and tell me I was doing a good job, and that meant so much to me. The patients are caring more about us than the employer is.”

Another pharmacist told CNN that he expects his pharmacy to close during the planned walkout period and that he’s heard from Walgreens pharmacists at 13 other stores in his state who are interested in participating.

“We’re going to do way more harm to people in 10 more years of operating like this than we would with a three-day walkout,” the pharmacist said. “It’s time to try something different. Every year we get the same promises and every year we get the same Band-Aid on the problem.”

In a statement to CNN, Walgreens acknowledged that pharmacy employees were overworked.

“The last few years have required an unprecedented effort from our team members, and we share their pride in this work — while recognizing it has been a very challenging time,” said Fraser Engerman, a communications director at Walgreens. “We also understand the immense pressures felt across the US in retail pharmacy right now. We are engaged and listening to the concerns raised by some of our team members.”

Walgreens is “committed to ensuring that our entire pharmacy team has the support and resources necessary to continue to provide the best care to our patients while taking care of their own well-being,” added Engerman. “We are making significant investments in pharmacist wages and hiring bonuses to attract/retain talent in harder to staff locations.”

Walkouts at CVS
Pharmacy employees of Walgreens and CVS and pharmacist advocates told CNN that their work has always been difficult, but the pandemic made things near impossible. Employees describe severe and chronic understaffing, low pay, high vaccination quotas, long stretches without bathroom breaks, abusive management and violent customers.

Inspired by successful labor strikes across the country this year, they’re saying enough is enough and organizing walkouts as part of what some labor advocates are calling “pharmageddon.”

In September, CVS pharmacists shuttered as many as 22 pharmacies in two walkouts over two weeks in the Kansas City area in a planned protest, prompting executives from the Rhode Island-based retailer to meet with staff and assure that additional support and higher overtime pay were coming.

“Pharmacists are doing exactly what they’ve been trained to do, which is evaluate the situation and take whatever action is necessary to ensure that they’re providing the best patient care,” said Michael Hogue, CEO of the American Pharmacists Association, who traveled to Kansas City to meet with CVS executives and walkout organizers this week. “We have a widespread problem in the US of inadequate staffing in community-based pharmacies.”

Prem Shah, CVS’ chief pharmacy officer and president of pharmacy and consumer wellness, issued an internal memo, reviewed by CNN, apologizing to his pharmacy teams for failing to address the concerns in the region more quickly.

Employees remain skeptical.

Another meeting with Shah is planned for October 15, one of the CVS walkout organizers told CNN, but no time or location has been set.

“We’re committed to providing access to consistent, safe, high-quality health care to the patients and communities we serve and are working with our pharmacists to directly address any concerns they may have,” Amy Thibault, lead director of external communications for CVS Pharmacy, said in a statement to CNN. “We’re focused on developing a sustainable, scalable action plan that can be put in place in markets where support may be needed so we can continue delivering the high-quality care our patients depend on.”

A national movement
Even a day without access to medication would be disastrous for Americans, said Amanda Applegate with the Kansas Pharmacists Association. “But making sure that you’re getting those prescriptions out in a timely, efficient and safe manner is [why] pharmacists are walking out,” she said. Pharmacists aren’t demanding huge pay increases and vacation days, she added, they’re asking for more help to get their jobs done.

This week, more than 75,000 Kaiser Permanente workers walked off the job, citing similar problems and marking the largest health care worker strike in US history.

Pharmacist advocates believe that the walkouts will likely continue for some time. CVS and Walgreens pharmacists are not currently represented by a union and these efforts have been coordinated by individual workers. However, multiple sources told CNN that employees at CVS and Walgreens have recently been in touch with union groups.

While Kansas City “has been a tinderbox,” said Applegate, these walkouts could have happened anywhere.

“It’s a hard job on a good day. It’s an incredibly rewarding job, but it’s hard,” she said. “And so the idea of pharmacists essentially being turned into ATMs in these environments, encouraging volume over quality, is why this is happening.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s also funny that someone wanted to sight see in London

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

it’s also funny that someone wanted to sight see in London

look honey, that's where all the ills of the modern world started

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

hm.

https://twitter.com/RealGayArbys/status/1710402326710673689?s=20

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

who knows!

Honestly every time is different and we've had the gamut among goons this current go-round already!

It's so weird how it's such a dice-roll.

Most of mine were pretty straightforward outside of (I think) my third booster. That one was straight-up malaria. I felt lousy the day after, the next day I felt like a million bucks, the day after I felt like death, then I felt amazing. Lasted for about a week.

Looks like Novavax is finally showing up near me. I've got a doc's appointment in a couple of weeks, but I'm betting she's just got Moderna so I think I'm going to schedule a Walgreens trip to get the new hotness.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

what’s the best aura clone that comes in black, 9211+ style valve + cloth straps preferred but either way is fine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Zantie posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Masks4All/comments/16u4sqe/breatheteq_kn95_discount_code/

idk why you'd buy them when headband masks are available :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

inferis posted:

what’s the best aura clone that comes in black, 9211+ style valve + cloth straps preferred but either way is fine

there isn’t one with a valve but if you want n95 equivalent in black and shaped like an aura and don’t mind paying $3 per mask and $40 shipping:

https://www.maskwholesale.eu/respiratory-protection/imask-ffp3-nr-d-respirator-10-pieces_289_1357/

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Oct 7, 2023

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Some folks really can't stand headbands. I'm not one of them, but my spouse is.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Woodsy Owl posted:

Some folks really can't stand headbands. I'm not one of them, but my spouse is.

after a year and a half in earloops my ears thank my shift away from KN95s

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Zantie posted:

You're awesome. Thank you!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

quote:

Still, one pharmacy employee who said staff at their store will participate in the walkout on Monday told CNN that they are expected and incentivized to administer more vaccines. “I spend almost all of my day in the shot room, and if I’m not in the shot room I’m filling prescriptions because we’re so behind,” they said.

lol oh no, capitalism horseshoe....

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Interesting study concerning the overall work absence burden of COVID. It is very Danish in the sense that the main registry involved (post 1 month sick absence shifts the cost burden from employer to state) is unique and I hope it makes sense to anyone unfamiliar. It should be noted that the results are from wildtype/Alpha and that less than 1% were vaccinated.

Risk Difference (RD) is the absolute increase in percentage of total. E.g. the RD of 3.3 => 4.5% versus 1.4%.

"A hybrid register and questionnaire study of Covid-19 and post-acute sick leave in Denmark"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-42048-1 posted:

Abstract
Post-acute sick leave is an underexplored indicator of the societal burden of SARS-CoV-2. Here, we report findings about self-reported sick leave and risk factors thereof from a hybrid survey and register study, which include 37,482 RT-PCR confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases and 51,336 test-negative controls who were tested during the index- and alpha-dominant waves. We observe that an additional 33 individuals per 1000 took substantial sick leave following acute infection compared to persons with no known history of infection, where substantial sick leave is defined as >1 month of sick leave within the period 1–9 months after the RT-PCR test date. Being female, 50–65 years, or having certain pre-existing health conditions such as obesity, chronic lung diseases, and fibromyalgia each increase risk for taking substantial sick leave. Altogether, these results may help motivate improved diagnostic and treatment options for persons living with post-Covid conditions.
(..)
Fig. 1: Overview of study population and study variables.

N = 88,818 participants ages 15–65 were included (response rate = 36%). A Definition of the sick leave outcome, substantial sick leave. Substantial sick leave was defined as >1 month of sick leave in the period 1–9 months after the test. B Overview of study variables pulled from national register data and survey data. C Prevalence of each clinical characteristic/pre-existing condition in the total study sample, including both test-positives and -negatives for SARS-CoV-2.
(..)
Fig. 2: Prevalence of substantial sick leave, defined as >1 month of sick leave in the period 1–9 months after the test date.

N = 88,818 participants ages 15–65 were included (response rate = 36%). Npositive = 51,336, Nnegative = 37,482. A 21.1% of persons infected with SARS-CoV-2 who took substantial sick leave also had a registered long Covid hospitalization. Long Covid hospitalization was defined as having a registered International Classification of Diseases 10th Revision (ICD-10 code B948A) in the period 1–9 months after the test date and having no history of this diagnosis within the year prior to the test date. B Unadjusted prevalence of substantial sick leave by SARS-CoV-2 PCR test result. C Number of responses and prevalence of substantial sick leave by age group and PCR test result.
(..)
Fig. 3: Risk differences (RDs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for full-time substantial sick leave taken one to nine months after the test date between SARS-CoV-2 test-positives and test-negatives for the total study population and possible long Covid risk groups.

RDs are adjusted for age, sex, Charlson Comorbidity Index, educational level, and select pre-existing conditions (chronic diseases). N = 88,818 participants ages 15–65 years were included (response rate = 36%). Npositive = 51,336, Nnegative = 37,482. RDs are expressed in percentage points.
(..)
Discussion
In this study, we explored the burden of post-acute sick leave following SARS-CoV-2 infection. First, we found that individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 during the index- and alpha-dominant waves had a significantly higher risk of substantial sick leave than those who had no history of infection (3.3 percentage point increase in risk), where substantial sick leave was defined as >1 month of self-reported sick leave within the period 1–9 months after the test. Second, we observed that females, persons 50–65 years, and persons with pre-existing fibromyalgia, obesity, and lung diseases had a markedly higher risk of post-acute, substantial sick leave than the general population. Finally, 21.1% of the test-positives who took substantial sick leave also had a hospital-registered diagnosis of sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (long Covid) [ed. with the implication being that 21.1% are counted as PASC, while 78.9% are not]. Altogether, these findings suggest that infections which took place during the index- and alpha-dominant waves posed a considerable burden to society in the form of post-acute sick leave.
(..)
Finally, individuals’ line of work can impact the need for post-acute sick leave following SARS-CoV-2 infection. Although we were not able to examine most individuals’ professions since we did not have access to occupational data at the date they responded to the survey, we did observe that individuals with a higher education of 2–4 years had a larger RD of taking substantial sick leave compared to individuals with a postgraduate education. These differences might be attributed to job adaptability to work-from-home and self-pacing, i.e., persons with a post-graduate education may work desk jobs whereas persons with a higher education of 2-4 years (e.g., nurse, preschool teacher, bachelor of engineering) may need to be on-site.
(..)
While we observed that healthcare workers had a greater RD for post-acute substantial sick leave than the general population, little is known about the post-acute burden of SARS-CoV-2 infection in healthcare workers. Healthcare workers are at an elevated risk of acute SARS-CoV-2 infection compared to the general population, and as such, the burden of long Covid, and consequently the burden of post-acute sick leave may be large.
(..)

An addition from the Supplementary material (addressing the distribution of absence length):

In countries with less extensive sick leave legislation, naturally these numbers would be lower :911:

Edit to add Figure 1 for clarification and this elaboration: 1 month's absence in this context is not 1 month's absence in total; it is 1 month's absence after the first month post positive test. Illness during the month is not counted, nor is absence prior to positive test.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:59 on Oct 7, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

It's called having variety. Headbands for some things, earstraps for others. OMG

[edit] They also have kid's sizing and some people might find that helpful too.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Oct 7, 2023

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
i use loops for hikes and stuff. they will always be better for putting on quickly

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Serfer posted:

wrestling with crossing kaiser picket lines to get a vax shot

I waited the extra day for the break between strikes and got er done this morning, see if they got any weekend clinics near you. However the contract is still far from resolved, so things are going extra slow right now.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

What the gently caress are those tenaquip jackholes doing, I wanna be handing out some auras to folks?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Vaccinations Should be Required of Healthcare Personnel, say Leading Infection Prevention and Patient Safety Organizations

quote:

APIC-led coalition sends letter to state leaders urging promotion of science-based information to address vaccine hesitancy

Arlington, Va., October 6, 2023 – Citing an ‘ethical responsibility’ to protect patients and residents, a diverse coalition of 17 organizations representing the nation’s infection preventionists, public health professionals, and immunocompromised patients today voiced their strong support for requiring vaccination of healthcare personnel.

“We believe all Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)-recommended vaccines should be required for healthcare personnel providing services in any healthcare setting. This includes adherence to the most current ACIP COVID-19 vaccination recommendations,” reads the open letter which was sent by the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) and 16 other organizations.

Sent broadly to state and local government officials, healthcare employers, payers, and policy makers, the letter states that vaccination of healthcare personnel, “is a critical component of providing a safe environment for patients, visitors, and residents.”

The multi-society appeal comes at a fraught time when numerous states have bills that could limit a healthcare facility’s ability to require not only COVID-19 vaccines, but also other vaccines like influenza, measles, and varicella.

“Immunization is vital for maintaining a healthy workforce and also protecting patients, especially vulnerable populations,” said APIC President Patricia Jackson, MS, RN, CIC, FAPIC. “With flu season approaching and COVID-19 rates rising, now is the time to work together to spread accurate, science-based information about the effectiveness and safety of vaccines to help ensure our healthcare personnel are fully protected from vaccine-preventable infectious diseases and can provide safe care to individuals seeking medical attention.”

Signatories

Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC)

Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)

Alpha-1 Foundation

American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology

American College Health Association

American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)

American Nurses Association

American Public Health Association

Family Voices NJ

Immune Deficiency Foundation

Immunize.org

Lupus and Allied Diseases Association, Inc.

National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care

National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID)

SCID Angels For Life Foundation

SPAN Parent Advocacy Network

Surgical Infection Society

APIC

Founded in 1972, the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) is the leading association for infection preventionists and epidemiologists. With more than 15,000 members, APIC advances the science and practice of infection prevention and control. APIC carries out its mission through research, advocacy, and patient safety; education, credentialing, and certification; and fostering development of the infection prevention and control workforce of the future. Together with our members and partners, we are working toward a safer world through the prevention of infection. Join us and learn more at apic.org.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I hope they are right that this comes down to lockdowns. I wish they were a bit quicker on the updates, considering the severity, instead of merely 2021-2022 academic year data.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/oct/07/covid-generation-under-fives-excluded-from-schools-in-england posted:

Thousands of Covid generation under-fives excluded from schools in England
Nearly half of children in some areas arrive unable to talk and still not potty-trained as lockdown legacy take its toll, data shows

Children as young as four are being excluded from schools in England in increasing numbers as they struggle to cope in a classroom setting, with many still in nappies or unable to talk fully.

According to the latest government data, 11,695 children aged five and under were given fixed-term exclusions in England in the 2021-22 academic year, which was 11% higher than 2018-19.

In some schools in deprived areas up to 40% of reception children are also now arriving at school not yet potty-trained, the Observer has been told. Experts say many more children are starting school with undiagnosed language and learning difficulties which can lead to behavioural problems.
(..)
Her commission has taken evidence of “huge rises” in children entering reception at four not yet potty-trained. One head she spoke to before the summer said that out of 70 children in reception about 30 were not potty-trained, and about a third were coming into school in pushchairs.

“We’ve been told that many children starting school have speech and language delays because they have had dummies in their mouths for so long over the pandemic and since,” she added.

Longfield argues that a lack of early support for struggling families, combined with undiagnosed special educational needs, has caused an “outbreak” of very young children who can’t cope in a classroom environment.

“These are children with very high needs and real difficulties dealing with social situations in school, who aren’t able to cope with change and can be very physically disruptive and dangerous to themselves and others,” she says.
(..)
Jane Harris, chief executive of the charity Speech and Language UK, which published research in September showing that 1.9 million children are behind with talking and understanding words, said that insufficient health visitors meant “loads of children aren’t being seen at two and a half years old as they should be”.

More than half of teachers have told the charity they don’t know how to help children with speech and language difficulties, and Harris says schools that are struggling to recruit and retain teaching assistants because of low pay often don’t have enough staff to give extra support.

“Of course young children are going to feel frustrated if they can’t understand what’s going on at school and if they find it difficult to talk they will really struggle with making friendships,” she said.
(..)

I am going to venture a guess here and state that I suspect the main factor is the large social and economic instability in the UK.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
not potty trained because they spent more time at home? makes sense

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Steve Yun posted:

not potty trained because they spent more time at home? makes sense

when you're not shipping your kid off to daycare at 8 months because you have to work in the covid mines potting training suddenly doesnt seem like such an urgent issue (its not)

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Too Many Birds posted:

parents are going on a cruise next week.

lol. lmao.

update on this.

you will never guess what happened.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Too Many Birds posted:

update on this.

they had a fun time and nothing bad happened?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
they got norovirus?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Dr B or Sesame? Sister got got. Link if you don't mind.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Too Many Birds posted:

update on this.

Sorry to hear they got sick, but as the saying goes: "at least you had your fleeting consumerism".

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Dr B or Sesame? Sister got got. Link if you don't mind.

Most say Sesame Care: https://sesamecare.com/medication/paxlovid

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

<3

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Edit: I forgot that folks can just go back pages and read this so removing this

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Oct 7, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

but keep in mind that sometimes there are unhelpful doctors on Sesame care, so if you fail your paxlovid dice roll, try another service

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

celadon posted:

they had a fun time and nothing bad happened?

yes!

until mom caught covid!

and then i drove them home from the airport!

to the house we all live at!

but at least we all wore n95s on the drive home and i had a window rolled down! not window(s) because only one window in the car works!!

anyway. my mom has a contraindication that can't be worked around so paxlovid is out the window. and her doctor told her that it doesn't matter because paxlovid only exists to "make you feel better." then told her to keep taking the drugs the walk in clinic doc gave her in NYC which all are not named paxlovid, remdesivir, or molnupiravir.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Too Many Birds posted:

yes!

until mom caught covid!
(..)

I think the important part to remember here is that no one could have predicted this.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Too Many Birds posted:

yes!

until mom caught covid!

and then i drove them home from the airport!

to the house we all live at!

but at least we all wore n95s on the drive home and i had a window rolled down! not window(s) because only one window in the car works!!

anyway. my mom has a contraindication that can't be worked around so paxlovid is out the window. and her doctor told her that it doesn't matter because paxlovid only exists to "make you feel better." then told her to keep taking the drugs the walk in clinic doc gave her in NYC which all are not named paxlovid, remdesivir, or molnupiravir.

ALL MEDICINE EXISTS TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER!!!! THATS THE WHOLE loving POINT!!!!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Too Many Birds posted:

her doctor told her that it doesn't matter because paxlovid only exists to "make you feel better."

This is bizarrely common. Where is it coming from? Is that something they teach about antivirals in medical school? Did they pick it up from older, dumber doctors in residency?

I know that there’s a strain of antiantiviral conspiracy that parallels antivax activism, but it’s much lesser in organization, and as troubling as “vaccine hesitant” healthcare professionals are, they in a distinct minority.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
POV: a patient has come to you for antiviral treatment, but you have counselled them on the error of their ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

ALL MEDICINE EXISTS TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER!!!! THATS THE WHOLE loving POINT!!!!!

counterpoint: disulfiram