Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Haven't had a ton of time to test out changes but looks like +2 all attributes is gone from gear. Loot rolls are insane right now, you can expect to find 10-20 gold, a sellable or two, and two to three greens or blues in Lion's Head chests on non high roller. I've had multiple 150+ gold extracts since the patch. Plan on bringing empty gold bags in, I'm finding I'm leaving with 50-60 loose gold per run now too. Too early to see how the rest of things have panned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
yup loot is insane, actually really enjoying everything so far

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

rideANDxORdie posted:

Haven't had a ton of time to test out changes but looks like +2 all attributes is gone from gear. Loot rolls are insane right now, you can expect to find 10-20 gold, a sellable or two, and two to three greens or blues in Lion's Head chests on non high roller. I've had multiple 150+ gold extracts since the patch. Plan on bringing empty gold bags in, I'm finding I'm leaving with 50-60 loose gold per run now too. Too early to see how the rest of things have panned out.

they removed +1 all atts too, at least from gloves; the various +1 all gloves I had stashed were rerolled

the new patch feels awesome. I thought things were fine pre-patch but this is absolutely way better.

you now get gear by looting the dungeon! what a concept!

can't even imagine what HR is gonna look like knowing that chests have shots at legendaries now, combined with everyone being flush with cash

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Loot is so crazy, they should get rid of trading. Trading is how people put together god sets.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my hot take is that the removal of +all and +weapon on armor are great changes, but loot is a bit on the excessive side rn and making money somewhat too easy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's about the same amount of gold I'd make per night maybe it's easier in the caves where it's a lot easier to escape. If a blue or green drops and has crappy rolls you have to vendor it which is less gold per slot than collectables and such. Wouldn't be upset with them rolling it back halfway but an increased drop rate feels nice.

They are going to have to wipe though they hosed something up and logging back in gets your inventory back so people are using it to dupe items and gold at an insane rate.

quote:

first of all, we apologize for the unexpected item changes in Hotfix #15 that wasted your time and effort. We should have handled it more smoothly. We will try to do better next time. Sorry.
And we are currently investigating a serious issue, and we plan to proceed with the next hotfix as soon as we are ready. After assessing the extent of the damage, we will share the direction of the next patch. we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 6, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pararoid posted:

The gear gap stuff is really offputting to read about.

It seems like whichever game, be it this, Project Crawl, Greed is Good, DREAD or any of the others, that gets this right will be the most popular.

Y'know, I see a lot of people complain about the gear gap in this game and similar games like Tarkov, Marauders, etc. However I kind of feel like it's a feature instead of a bug - yeah a lot of people hate how quickly you can get unfairly murdered as a new player, but I think the appeal of being the one doing the unfair murdering is enough to offset that for a lot of people. It sounds like it might be one of those mechanics like battle passes or gacha games where people pretty universally don't enjoy it, but they're effective enough at keeping people playing that it doesn't really matter.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I feel really bad for the dev team. The discord is so toxic. I don't know how you can read it and want to continue making the game lol. They are definitely made of stronger stuff.

They had a Q&A a few days ago where they said gear was gonna have a big change on the next hotfix, so people had time to prepare. Not sure if people can't read or if they are bitching just because kids these days are braindead animals, I dunno.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I feel really bad for the dev team. The discord is so toxic. I don't know how you can read it and want to continue making the game lol. They are definitely made of stronger stuff.

They had a Q&A a few days ago where they said gear was gonna have a big change on the next hotfix, so people had time to prepare. Not sure if people can't read or if they are bitching just because kids these days are braindead animals, I dunno.

Rerolling everything was goofy I assumed it'd remove and replace say +2 all with a random roll and lower the rolls on the stats they lowered the ceiling on. My viking sword with +2 agility became +debuff duration when it should've been +1 agi. The people who had ridiculously stacked damage and stats gear and are whining I don't feel bad for.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Y'know, I see a lot of people complain about the gear gap in this game and similar games like Tarkov, Marauders, etc. However I kind of feel like it's a feature instead of a bug - yeah a lot of people hate how quickly you can get unfairly murdered as a new player, but I think the appeal of being the one doing the unfair murdering is enough to offset that for a lot of people. It sounds like it might be one of those mechanics like battle passes or gacha games where people pretty universally don't enjoy it, but they're effective enough at keeping people playing that it doesn't really matter.

According to a dnd content creator who played Marauders the gear gap is a big reason for the game not holding on to a population. Tarkov I believe you can take out kitted guys with a basic gun. I feel bad when I'm kitted and just roll over some guys in basic gear the most fun fights are the back and forths where we can't just one or two shot one another.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 6, 2023

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The gear gap works more in Tarkov because in the end, a single mosin round to the face will kill you pretty much regardless of how good your armor is, a pistoling could get a lucky headshot or just unload into your legs until you die. The lack of a BR circle also means that players aren't inevitably funneled into face to face confrontations where the better gear gives a massive advantage.
Meanwhile the closest that DAD has to a mosin man is like, a wizard who dies if anyone looks at them funny and has the worst PvE clear in the game while being unable to escape a decked out barb running at them with 50%+ MR and 350 speed especially before the modifier nerf.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Einwand posted:

The lack of a BR circle also means that players aren't inevitably funneled into face to face confrontations where the better gear gives a massive advantage.

I was talking with my buddies last night about how the circle is incongruous with how they seem to want the game to play. The PVE stuff is clearly what they like since they like strong gear and want to make the dungeon several levels. I bet they inherited it from P3 and didn't really think about it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was talking with my buddies last night about how the circle is incongruous with how they seem to want the game to play. The PVE stuff is clearly what they like since they like strong gear and want to make the dungeon several levels. I bet they inherited it from P3 and didn't really think about it.

Without the circle people would literally just avoid player combat more than they already do at circle's edge or healing through the swarm.

Plus extracts would either become tedious (they could spawn anywhere so good luck running around the entire crypt/ruins when the playerbase still complains about PVE being too hard) or the same as Marauders/Tarkov (fixed locations that can be camped).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The circle is great. People need to stop crying about RNG and start securing more area and therefore more portals earlier on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tempora Mutantur posted:

Without the circle people would literally just avoid player combat more than they already do at circle's edge or healing through the swarm.

Plus extracts would either become tedious (they could spawn anywhere so good luck running around the entire crypt/ruins when the playerbase still complains about PVE being too hard) or the same as Marauders/Tarkov (fixed locations that can be camped).

That's exactly it - you could choose to avoid players or hunt them down if that's your bag. I have no issue with the circle as the PVP is what appeals to me and I like playing around them I was commenting on it not jiving with what the devs seem to have in mind.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I love circles. I give off big circle energy.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Don't worry everyone, the devs have once again decided to undo the last patch after not even a day has gone by, apparently.
I have no clue what their intended vision is for how impactful gear is, and I'm starting to think they don't either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Einwand posted:

Don't worry everyone, the devs have once again decided to undo the last patch after not even a day has gone by, apparently.
I have no clue what their intended vision is for how impactful gear is, and I'm starting to think they don't either.

I tuned into the streamer that Reddit posters have blamed for them mostly reverting EA Patch 1 and he is the biggest whiner I've ever heard it was ungodly. Kinda made me believe they were right.

vvv yeah it should've just been a wipe.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 6, 2023

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Einwand posted:

Do they not understand that video games are a waste of time, there will be more wipes anyway, the game is clearly still in EA, etc, and should not apologize?

Just say it was a data collecting exercise and move on.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

It's an EA title that's very clearly not anywhere near done, it's perfectly reasonable that your stuff could get deleted or changed on a moment's notice. All this constant flipflopping can't possibly be getting much useful data about how much modifier variance impacts whatever it is they're trying to figure out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Einwand posted:

It's an EA title that's very clearly not anywhere near done, it's perfectly reasonable that your stuff could get deleted or changed on a moment's notice. All this constant flipflopping can't possibly be getting much useful data about how much modifier variance impacts whatever it is they're trying to figure out.

The only people who are "getting their time wasted" are traders to begin with. gently caress em. Who wants to sit in a god awful chat room all day with bot spammers.

The worst part about Tarkov is probably the amount of time you spend outside of raid. Don't give people a reason to spend time outside of raid. Either you are in a dungeon or you aren't really playing. That is some top tier nerd poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah trading sucks rear end so it's funny when I see people complaining about the economy being destroyed by the good merchant change.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I'm convinced that they don't really know what to do/knobs to turn, don't have a vision for the game to inform what knobs to turn, and don't have the resources to be iterating this fast on knob turning. most of this feels like various degrees of capitulation to their fanbase.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah trading sucks rear end so it's funny when I see people complaining about the economy being destroyed by the good merchant change.

Well, the idea of trading is fun. The player-driven economy is fun. Finding sick loot that you can't use, but you know is worth money can be fun, but when your only option to sell it is a bullshit, bot-filled chat room from 1999, it sucks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Here is the best thing I have ever seen to control player market places.

Limit the number of resells an item can have. Preferably 1.

This would just shift the bots to offer to team up and drop items instead, so it isn't a solution.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Well, the idea of trading is fun. The player-driven economy is fun. Finding sick loot that you can't use, but you know is worth money can be fun, but when your only option to sell it is a bullshit, bot-filled chat room from 1999, it sucks.
the problem with trading and auction houses is you then need to design the loot table around trading and auction houses

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
L patch, both of the patches I have liked the most have been reverted less than 48 hours after release.

I feel like they either don't have any idea how they want gear to impact the game or there's a severe internal dichotomy within the devs because these last two patches have been schizophrenic in intent and tone.

Should have just wiped early IMO, tinkering with people's existing gear and doing rollbacks just leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Warlock nerfs are way overboard. They either needed to nerf native self healing or reduce the amount of + magical healing. They hit both pretty hard and I've had more luck running warlock with Blow of Corruption and Phantomize with no casting at all since the nerfs

In general feeling pretty down about the game. Need to wait 3 days after patches I guess to see whether the changes I like actually stick

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rideANDxORdie posted:

I feel like they either don't have any idea how they want gear to impact the game or there's a severe internal dichotomy within the devs because these last two patches have been schizophrenic in intent and tone.

It's bizarre they don't seem to contemplate doing gradual changes. Both hotfix 14 and hotfix 15 were going from 0 to 100 with changes when halfway on either one would've felt a lot better. They definitely should've done a wipe.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Sounds like the "slight changes" are keeping the most recent changes to equipment base values and removing +2 all, but this still means that +3 weapon damage can show up on armor again. Hooray.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
all the crazy stats that they just got rid of and said were bad for the game are back. lol i really don't get it

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

rideANDxORdie posted:

L patch, both of the patches I have liked the most have been reverted less than 48 hours after release.

Should have just wiped early IMO, tinkering with people's existing gear and doing rollbacks just leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Warlock nerfs are way overboard. They either needed to nerf native self healing or reduce the amount of + magical healing. They hit both pretty hard and I've had more luck running warlock with Blow of Corruption and Phantomize with no casting at all since the nerfs

In general feeling pretty down about the game. Need to wait 3 days after patches I guess to see whether the changes I like actually stick

I think they really struggle with the scope of itemization. I also think they are responding too much to the criticism they are receiving.

To me, it's wild that +all attributes still exists at all. Mathematically, its so impactful. It's like they're scratching their head about why +3 all attributes, which is 12 total stat points is so strong when the other options are +3 in a single stat. It's not hard to understand why one is vastly better than the other.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
My read is that they rolled the balance changes back because of the amount of rage generated as a result of rerolling people's hoards of overpowered gear, in combination with being forced to do a server rollback either way to fix technical issues. The pre-patch announcement says that they're going to try a rebalance again the next time the game wipes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It just really seems, to me, that they are at the whims of Twitch streamers more than they let on. It still kinda nuts that in the inventory section they still haven't implemented a function to turn items sideways and vertically to be able to stash gear in perma storage and on person storage more effectively.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I'm a fan of being unable to trade with your own characters unless you buy a second account and use that as an intermediary, or have a friend help you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jiro posted:

It just really seems, to me, that they are at the whims of Twitch streamers more than they let on. It still kinda nuts that in the inventory section they still haven't implemented a function to turn items sideways and vertically to be able to stash gear in perma storage and on person storage more effectively.

I was skeptical of this when they undid most of what made EA Patch 1 great and figured it was them having dumb ideas about the game on their own but I'm buying into after the most recent reversion.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Tried playing a few rounds and just got hunted down by weapon damage/stat stacked mega murderers the entire time, I'm glad this is how the game is again it's very interactive and fun.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
I dunno i just bought the game and played like 14h straight, game is pretty fun and they just need to pile content on top of that and theyll have something real good.

Map variations with traps, more item diversity, more maps, etc...

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Have finally had a few multi hour play sessions and things are in a decent spot. There is definitely hyperinflation due to increased drops and gold in the game, but I don't really engage in trading with other players or rocking best-in-class gear. To me, the game feels better when you are find good loot, for your class, during a series of runs, and that's never been easier.

I would think the removal of the low-level queue has made starting the game daunting. I've been extracting quite a bit but you can definitely still get steamrolled by a juiced team and feel super helpless. I think it would be hard to start the game in the state it's in right now. Goblin Caves is pretty chill but I don't think you should have to play solo in order to get a character off the ground.

Ruins is a hot mess right now IMO, there's a few too many players, the portals spawn too close and too late, and there's too much meta-game valuable stuff (gold ore and wolf pelts) that you'll always be seeing a few juiced out duos in every game. It's also very easy to spawn rush, and the map heavily favors certain classes over others in my opinion. I'd rather play a duos-only queue in the crypt.

Things are still better than expected, which is nice

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

quote:

We will be doing the hotfix #17 update starting at October 13, 2023 10:30 AM(PST). When the patch starts, you will not be able to login to the game and players in-game will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool during this time. Players in a match or in-game will have 30 minutes to complete the match and exit safely. The server will return to full service 2 hours after the patch starts. During maintenance, all services, including the website, may be temporarily suspended to update various servers. Patch Notes:

Fixed an issue that could result in a crash when moving gold coins between gold coin containers.
Fixed an issue where postprocessing effects were not applied when using the Hide Mastery perk.
Fixed an issue where buffs would not be overwritten properly when a Bard plays the same song.
Fixed an issue where spells would sometimes not cast properly even when casting was completed correctly.
Fixed an issue where VFX was displayed abnormally large when applied to a Cockatrice.
Bard’s Allegro duration has been normalized to 8 seconds based on the Bard's default Persuasion of 20.
Bard’s Accelerando has been changed to be affected by Persuasion and has also been normalized to 8 seconds based on the Bard’s default Persuasion of 20.
Bard’s Aria of Alacrity's Action Speed reduced from 8/14/20% → 4/6/8%
Bard’s Aria of Alacrity duration adjusted to 30/60/120 seconds based on the Bard’s default Persuasion of 20.
Bard’s Ballad of Courage duration adjusted to 30/60/120 seconds based on the Bard’s default Persuasion of 20.
Bard’s Beat of Alacrity duration adjusted to 30/60/120 seconds based on the Bard’s default Persuasion of 20.
Bard’s Beat of Alacrity's Additional Move Speed reduced from 5/10/15 → 5/7/9
Bard’s Harmonic Shield duration adjusted to 30/60/120 seconds based on the Bard’s default Persuasion of 20.
Bard’s Harmonic Shield Cost increased from 4 → 5.
Bard’s Unchained Harmony Cost increased from 3 → 5.
The gold coin container rarity grade has been adjusted to ‘unique’ grade.
Longbow's projectile Speed ​​has changed reduced from 3500 → 3250, The Hitslow movement penalty from -35% → -30%, and the hit slow duration from 1.5s → 1s.
Recurve Bow’s hit slow movement penalty changed from -25% → -20%.
Higher grade Pickaxes gives more regular interaction speed.
Drum’s projectile speed changed from 1300 → 1000.
The trajectory of the drum when thrown has been slightly modified.
Damage from Dark Swarm no longer reduces the Recoverable Health.
Slightly lowered the drop rate for Trinkets and Treasures from Chests.
Very slightly lowered the drop rates for Armor and Weapons from the high grade chests (Ornate, Lion’s Head, Golden, Marvelous).
For testing purposes, you can now only enter ‘Normal' Dungeons with Rare grade items or lower. Higher grade items found in the dungeon can be used during that session.

New leaderboard system implemented for testing:

Players now need to play 20 games in a High Roller dungeon to be listed on the leaderboard for that specific dungeon.
Leaderboards now show an average score for each category that is based on the number of times you entered that specific HR dungeon.
One failed match session will be added to the average score for anyone ranked in the top 100 at the end of each day, so top ranked players cannot simply sit on their rankings.
Adventure points for HR high grade chests. (Ornate, Lion’s Head, Golden, Marvelous) has been increased significantly.
Adventure points for Goblins and the Skeleton Axeman, Speaman, and Crossbowman has been slightly increased.
Adventure points for the Sub Boss monsters has been increased.
Adventure points for killing another player has been slightly decreased.
With the completion of the patch, a new leaderboard season begins.

Developer Comments: We have been fairly satisfied with the improved loot drops in incentivizing players to go into the dungeons. We do think that there was too much treasure being given by the chests resulting in excessive gold in the economy without enough money sinks built in yet. We have reduced the drop rate of treasure and trinkets from the chests to slightly reduce the gold supply. We have also decided to test out two large experimental changes. We decided to push out a temporary leaderboard system that we believe is less grindy than previous versions. We want to collect this data to help us build the real ranked system we have planned for the next big patch. Our data in preparation for the new leaderboards when using current proxy data also showed that bards were over represented and we have implemented some balance changes we feel will bring them in line. Finally we are experimenting with the first gear based matchmaking pool and have temporarily implemented a gear cap to the Normal dungeons. We are aware that this solution has its flaws but we are interested in collecting this data. Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Huh, wonder how no purples or better in normal queue is gonna go, you can still put together some truly absurd all blue kits. Or more likely how long until it gets reverted. Nothing else seems super significant outside of some mild nerfs for longbow/drum spam & I think those are yet more hefty bard nerfs?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 13, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Well rolled blues are gonna sky rocket.

I feel like the ranger nerfs didn't go far enough.

$1 says they check the gear you're wearing but not the gear in your inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I feel like the ranger nerfs didn't go far enough.

They didn't - the slow on hit needed to get harder but it's better than nothing.