Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Pig Isekai made the mistake of being a male villain isekai.

if it was a pig villainess isekai, people would eat it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you are not going to get away with insulting shoji meguro's life's work unpunished

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

you are not going to get away with insulting shoji meguro's life's work unpunished
i hope it still gets released this year, it still has no date but it's around oct-nov in the steam queue

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
they really need to start milking some e-sports animes.
though I guess its more in the realm of the korean or chinese webtoons realm atm.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i believe in his vision

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GateOfD posted:

though I guess its more in the realm of the korean or chinese webtoons realm atm.

This is why Gundam Evolution failed. No anime to go with it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Colonel posted:

what loving old games are you thinking of. this game is brink on an intel integrated card

it looks like when csi or law and order would make a fake video game for an episode

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

GateOfD posted:

didn't know A Returner's Magic Should Be Special.

how common is this, a korean webtoon getting a japanese anime treatment. I guess the previous thing I can think of is Tower of God.
and oh no..its Arvo Animation, isn't that the same studio that had the machine translation subs for that other show...

the webtoon is above average, although i think it loses its spark later. the protagonist strikes a good balance early on where he's highly talented but not brokenly overpowered, and a lot of his effort goes into helping his teammates rather than bulldozing through everything himself, so it doesn't become as insufferably cult-of-personality as other reincarnation isekai stories tend to

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I really liked Returner Should Be Special's MC gimmick in that he's actually very weak mana wise, but he's a good analysis and magic code breaker. Wish they used that to carry it a bit longer till they outright nerf'd him barely after one arc

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
not sure how internet gaming cafes are doing in asia 2023, but always found it a cool concept.
can't imagine it ever working in the US though. brick and mortar tabletop and card game stores are hanging from a cliff with one hand as it is. and don't really trust the average US person with handling public computers responsibly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GateOfD posted:

how common is this, a korean webtoon getting a japanese anime treatment. I guess the previous thing I can think of is Tower of God.
and oh no..its Arvo Animation, isn't that the same studio that had the machine translation subs for that other show...

There was also Raeliana in the Duke's Mansion or whatever from a few seasons back. Although that one's in the villainess reincarnation subgenre of korean webtoons.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The 7th Guest posted:

that must have just been added lmao

i also saw a review of under ninja on anime feminist that said it was not only bad but pushing a nationalist agenda

i love anime reviews

Did anifem provide any reasoning for why Under Ninja was bad or nationalist propaganda?

GateOfD posted:

With how well Shangri-la Frontier did in its opening episode in drawing in interest as well as the upcoming yuri gaming anime, GGWP: Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games, I can see this getting some traction.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 8, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
One of the reviewers on Anime News Network said they weren't sure if Migi & Dali was horror or comedy so I watched it and it instantly clicked that it was "creepy twins" played for laughs.

Pretty good show. I will watch more of it. Very sad about the manga author's passing.

That's my review for episode one. Please pay me to review anime because I can apparently do a much better job than that guy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Orb Crabmelt posted:

One of the reviewers on Anime News Network said they weren't sure if Migi & Dali was horror or comedy so I watched it and it instantly clicked that it was "creepy twins" played for laughs.

Pretty good show. I will watch more of it. Very sad about the manga author's passing.

That's my review for episode one. Please pay me to review anime because I can apparently do a much better job than that guy.

Looking at the ENTIRE body of anime reviewing, that is an incredibly miniscule bar to pass. But based on your AV Ithink you definitely deserve the job.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

doomrider7 posted:

Did anifem provide any reasoning for why Under Ninja was bad or nationalist propaganda?

Having a show about how cool Japanese ninja are, featuring a scene with a buffoonish foreigner, speaks to the inherent nationalism of its premise and likely direction of the entire series. :jerkbag:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Animfem just been bad at reviews for awhile period and also just weirdly ignoring shows that you think they'd want to talk about (Not that I'd want them to talk about My Go cause I know it'd be bad)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
just seeing the website title will clue you in that it all be bad reviews

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Potion-danomi de Ikinobimasu!/I Shall Survive Using Potions! episode 1: the gods accidentally cause the death of Kaoru Nagase and can't revive her on Earth so they offer to send her to fantasy isekai world instead, and she accepts on the condition that they give her a bunch of OP skills: the ability to instantly create any potion in any container, and the 'item box' skill with infinite capacity. Even with these advantages she instantly gets kidnapped by the local lord who intends to profit off her potions and she has to come up with an inventive way to use her skills to escape.

This reminded me a lot of Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for My Retirement in that the protag instantly tries to create a shoddy fake cover story to fool everyone and comes up with needlessly complicated plans to get out of her predicaments when she could have used her powers to fix everything much more easily and simply. In this episode she made an excuse to have a specific maid visit her room at night, and then used her skills to roofie the maid, steal her clothes, change her own hair colour & eye colour to match the maid and then walked out. She could have just made a 'walk through walls' potion or 'turn into a bird for 15 minutes' potion and escaped immediately.

I'll give it the 3 episode test :shrug:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This reminded me a lot of Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for My Retirement in that the protag instantly tries to create a shoddy fake cover story to fool everyone and comes up with needlessly complicated plans to get out of her predicaments when she could have used her powers to fix everything much more easily and simply. In this episode she made an excuse to have a specific maid visit her room at night, and then used her skills to roofie the maid, steal her clothes, change her own hair colour & eye colour to match the maid and then walked out. She could have just made a 'walk through walls' potion or 'turn into a bird for 15 minutes' potion and escaped immediately.

Helps when it's by the same author.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kirtar posted:

Helps when it's by the same author.

Ha, I didn't even realise. I guess they've got a theme going

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

think we found a situation where pork has in fact gone bad

I desperately wanted this premise to be, like, ok

Ohtori Akio posted:

I only watch programs I think will have some merit. I certainly only post about the good poo poo. And you can do the same.

I finished Utena and I think you are a bad bad person and I am definitely going to post about Utena more.

If anyone else hasn't watched Revolutionary Girl Utena, please review one of the various comprehensive trigger warning guides for the show, ignore entirely your misgivings, and then watch it and post in this horrible horrible person's thread about it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

pork never goes bad posted:

I desperately wanted this premise to be, like, ok

I finished Utena and I think you are a bad bad person and I am definitely going to post about Utena more.

If anyone else hasn't watched Revolutionary Girl Utena, please review one of the various comprehensive trigger warning guides for the show, ignore entirely your misgivings, and then watch it and post in this horrible horrible person's thread about it.

utena ftmfw. and ohtori akio the bad bad anime character is undeniably smexy

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

haypliss posted:

Having a show about how cool Japanese ninja are, featuring a scene with a buffoonish foreigner, speaks to the inherent nationalism of its premise and likely direction of the entire series. :jerkbag:

Checked their review on Shanfro and it was...a thing. Actually, I've noticed the sheer amount of reviews that really don't seem to get Shangri-la Frontier AT ALL or what it's about beyond surface level reads.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I vote the pig pervert anime be stricken from this thread forevermore

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha, I didn't even realise. I guess they've got a theme going

My little war criminal can't be this cute!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

what loving old games are you thinking of. this game is brink on an intel integrated card
it looks like gunz the duel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Animfem just been bad at reviews for awhile period and also just weirdly ignoring shows that you think they'd want to talk about (Not that I'd want them to talk about My Go cause I know it'd be bad)
prety much every anime outlet's review of ep 1 of mygo was like, 'uhhhh.... idk why this show looks so depressing... do these girls want to be here? its weird...'

just a complete failure to read tone on every level, it owned

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

doomrider7 posted:

Checked their review on Shanfro and it was...a thing. Actually, I've noticed the sheer amount of reviews that really don't seem to get Shangri-la Frontier AT ALL or what it's about beyond surface level reads.

Could you explain what it's about? Because all my information on it comes from said reviews.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GateOfD posted:

TL for returner’s seemed fine, btw

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think this thread should be about reviews of reviews. I give it 3/10.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Clarste posted:

Could you explain what it's about? Because all my information on it comes from said reviews.

VR games have become mainstream and along with it, both quality of games AND the amount of shovelware have increased. MC is a guy who dedicates his time to playing those janky shovelware games and has massively honed his skills due to having to account for those issues like wonky hitboxes, invisible enemies, input lag, etc.. After his most recent conquest, he gets recommended an actual NOT poo poo game to tackle that's been making waves so he and his friends(a model who games on the side and is the stereotypical gaming sociopath, an MLG gamer who is a local celeb in the fighting game scene, a girl from his school who's secretly crushing on him, and two robot game fans)gives it a whack. It's a VRMMO series written by someone who actually plays videogames and understands the appeal of videogames across the board from the casuals to the hardcore games and gamers. It got a ton of posts on the two isekai threads as well as the thread about favorite manga panels.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh, crunchyroll is streaming new episodes of All Saints Street. Pretty cool.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
time to Shangri-La Frontier ep2 to see if I can get past the dumb birdmask.

and ep3 of S-Rank Daughter

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

100 girlfriends was good.

No way am I going to be able to remember all these girlfriends names though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fangz posted:

No way am I going to be able to remember all these girlfriends names though.

there are too many girlfriends nowadays. please eliminate three

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Fangz posted:

yeah i thought it was tons of fun and actually funny. the bit about the drink cans slayed me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

prety much every anime outlet's review of ep 1 of mygo was like, 'uhhhh.... idk why this show looks so depressing... do these girls want to be here? its weird...'

just a complete failure to read tone on every level, it owned

ANN's overall review actually was pretty good which shocked the hell out of me

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Southern Cassowary posted:

yeah i thought it was tons of fun and actually funny. the bit about the drink cans slayed me.

yea, at first was afraid it be one of the trashy multiple girlfriend ones, but in between the setting, there's a bunch of jokes and stuff all over the place, so its funny just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

100 GFs had a very good start. definitely gonna keep up with it