Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I want gav to think he'll be president so I can see him eat incredible amounts of poo poo on a national stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He'll lose in the 2036 primaries to Chelsea Clinton dont worry

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mikeycp posted:

I want gav to think he'll be president so I can see him eat incredible amounts of poo poo on a national stage

So long as that's in a D primary I'm more than just OK with that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

mllaneza posted:

So long as that's in a D primary I'm more than just OK with that.

Absolutely. The lineup would have to be loving dire for him to make it past the primary. Now, I CAN see it being that dire, but

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Like corn dogs and fried butter at State fairs, or just metaphorically? I wanna see both because there's surprisingly few photos of him eating at all and you know he's going to do it weirdly.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Newsom justified vetoing the caste bill because he claims it’s already covered in the existing anti-discrimination laws of California. He claims the state’s civil rights protections shall be “liberally construed” by the courts to include caste.

Really shows where the party is at when they’re still telling us to trust in the courts. Still, I’m curious what the academic position is on having “redundant” laws on the books. Assuming Newsom’s claims are valid, is there any harm in adding a law that specifies caste is a protected class?

https://apnews.com/article/california-caste-discrimination-ban-newsom-veto-eef696fa2e28476d566aa2f9ef3f1997

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
When a Google employee tried to host an anti caste discrimination speaker, a bunch of the Indian employees absolutely flipped their poo poo about "reverse discrimination" until she was, for all intents and purposes, fired. I'm not surprised he vetoed it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Newsom justified vetoing the caste bill because he claims it’s already covered in the existing anti-discrimination laws of California. He claims the state’s civil rights protections shall be “liberally construed” by the courts to include caste.

Really shows where the party is at when they’re still telling us to trust in the courts. Still, I’m curious what the academic position is on having “redundant” laws on the books. Assuming Newsom’s claims are valid, is there any harm in adding a law that specifies caste is a protected class?

https://apnews.com/article/california-caste-discrimination-ban-newsom-veto-eef696fa2e28476d566aa2f9ef3f1997
I'm not going to pretend to be well-read into the bill (that bill being SB-403) or the underlying issues, other than a surface reading of them.

That said, if we go to reading the "Today's Law as Amended" tab (this shows if the bill became law, with new text in blue, and removed text in strikethrough red)...
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240SB403&showamends=false

and this is the veto message:
https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/SB-403-Veto-1.pdf

I think his veto message is pretty weak. The bill has a notable declaration from the legislature (which the courts would read as intent):

quote:

The amendments in this act are declarative of and clarify existing law. This act shall not be construed to mean that discrimination on the basis of ancestry does not already include discrimination on the basis of lineal descent, heritage, parentage, caste, or any other inherited social status.
And then the rest of the bill adds in definitions for Ancestry and Caste (along with family caregiver status in one part, which must have been shoehorned in by another interested party?). As such, this isn't even an issue of redundant laws; it gives the intent, it adds a new clarified class, which would make these new class(es) protected by current laws.

The reason the veto message is weak is because it doesn't identify a harm that would have been caused by the bill if passed into law. Which means that Gavin really didn't want to piss off the people opposing this, and vetoed the bill in the most milquetoast way possible. Supporters of the bill have provided some evidence (if you read the various Bill Analyses) that people are suffering Caste Discrimination in California; Gavin's response boils down to "Well I think the current laws are just fine".

Euphoriaphone posted:

Really shows where the party is at when they’re still telling us to trust in the courts.
Most of this stuff, if going to court, will deal with state law. Therefore, if lower decisions are appealed, they'll fall under the auspices of California State Court of Appeals and California Supreme Court; both appointed by the governor. While that certainly doesn't mean that they'll 100% find that caste is protected by the current laws, it's also a completely different landscape than the federal courts. The California Supreme Court is all Brown and Newsom appointees with a single Schwarzenegger appointee left.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 8, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah the frontline of the caste discrimination poo poo isn’t in some right-wing community; it’s the more unassuming progressive redoubts

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

This would be lawyer territory but I'd think that a formal statement from the governor stating that caste is included in the definition of ancestry would act as a clarifying statement in discrimination trial. It might not be as strong as a specific definition but I'm not sure that it needs to be that strong unless there's some confusion on what caste discrimination looks like (which maybe there could be?).

Like if I was going to write a regulation under APA I would use that veto as a reference unless there's some reason I can't.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

why would a statement from the executive have any bearing on the courts' interpretation of the law? is that a thing?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Zachack posted:

This would be lawyer territory but I'd think that a formal statement from the governor stating that caste is included in the definition of ancestry would act as a clarifying statement in discrimination trial. It might not be as strong as a specific definition but I'm not sure that it needs to be that strong unless there's some confusion on what caste discrimination looks like (which maybe there could be?).

Like if I was going to write a regulation under APA I would use that veto as a reference unless there's some reason I can't.
Like a legal opinion? Maaaybe (I'm also not a lawyer). He doesn't have the authority to unilaterally define/clarify what the law means; that's a separation of powers issue. The legislature passes bills; the governor signs bills into law (or vetos them); the courts interpret laws. (Also the executive enforces laws but the state executive is a little more fragmented than the federal executive, since the Attorney General in California is elected).

On the other hand such a letter couldn't hurt, but.... the most effective way such a letter could be done is telling some of his lawyers to do research into the issue and present a legal "opinion" of sorts as the letter (Alternatively ask the Attorney General's office to do it). Make sure it's thoroughly researched as if they were going to argue those things in court, thinking on various specific scenarios. While it doesn't have the authority to say what the law means, any lawyers representing those affected by caste discrimination would have another piece of research to reference, which is less work they'd have to do (or in your scenario, if you're a regulatory agency, then it's less resources you need to spend on writing regulation). To be clear: None of this is binding, and the persuasiveness would only be as effective as the legal research the lawyers did in making the case that Caste discrimination is already protected against by the current law. You're basically doing the homework for other lawyers by doing this
Maybe also sign an EO prohibiting caste discrimination in the government agencies he has authority over (This may already exist, but not sure).

But I don't see why he'd do that if he vetoed the law. Same groups he's trying not to piss off now would still be pissed off at him. The stuff above is what, say, the President of the United States does, because their hands are tied due to not being able to pass the legislation they want since they don't have enough votes in both houses of the legislature. They lean into their executive powers. Gavin has the power; there's a supermajority, and the law was on his desk. He vetoed it.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 8, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc the genetic evidence suggests dalits diverged from the rest of the south asian population ten thousand years ago. there's something darkly funny about a blonde-haired white guy telling what might be the worlds oldest systemically marginalized group that the existing laws protect them just fine

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cactus Ghost posted:

iirc the genetic evidence suggests dalits diverged from the rest of the south asian population ten thousand years ago. there's something darkly funny about a blonde-haired white guy telling what might be the worlds oldest systemically marginalized group that the existing laws protect them just fine
:hmmyes:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

BeeSeeBee posted:

Like corn dogs and fried butter at State fairs, or just metaphorically? I wanna see both because there's surprisingly few photos of him eating at all and you know he's going to do it weirdly.

I hadn't considered the first case but now I do want both

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone explain it to me like I'm five why anyone would be opposed to caste discrimination legislation? Someone in one of the (four?) California threads alluded to Hindus not liking the law but didn't respond when I followed up as to why. Presumably if you're a top caste you want to keep hiring your friends from the same caste and not have to worry about legal repercussions of keeping others out? This isn't a topic I spend a lot of time thinking about except when the law came up for a vote

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Can someone explain it to me like I'm five why anyone would be opposed to caste discrimination legislation? Someone in one of the (four?) California threads alluded to Hindus not liking the law but didn't respond when I followed up as to why. Presumably if you're a top caste you want to keep hiring your friends from the same caste and not have to worry about legal repercussions of keeping others out? This isn't a topic I spend a lot of time thinking about except when the law came up for a vote

The reasons I've heard that people were willing to say out loud were resentment over the state trying to impose "western values" on them and wobbly handwringing from white liberals that a law that targets one ethnicity so specifically is problematic.

It's easier to infer worse reasons to be against the law, but people seem to know to not just say out loud that they want to keep their inferiors in their place.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 8, 2023

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Lmao he also vetoed insulin price caps

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

mikeycp posted:

He's actually the worst wtf

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I thought he was all about insulin price caps. Have we've been deceived again?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Generally speaking, whenever you have these bills, go find out the bill number, then go to the bill's page:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240SB403
Then go to the "Bill Analysis" tab
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240SB403
Look for committee analysis (Make sure it's talking about the bill you want, on the off chance the bill was gutted and amended at some point), as that will usually have more detail than floor analysis. The analysis is prepared by a staff lawyer (each committee has at least one afaik) along with other staff.
The Assembly Judiciary Committee one on 7/6/2023 is good*

Comments from the author:

quote:

Caste systems exist across the globe and have a long-standing existence in California that predates the waves of migration from South Asia. In my district, I continue to hear about caste discrimination experienced by Dalit women which affirms the importance of this bill. Adding caste to existing protections increases access to resources, cultural competency for agencies and organizations, and empowers individuals experiencing caste discrimination. Depending on an individual’s primary language and cultural background, they may use a word other than caste to describe their experience, however the word we use in the English-language to describe a system of social stratification is caste. That is why the inclusion of that word is important; it has a meaning. Existing anti-discrimination laws are inclusive of caste discrimination, however there is an inequitable application of the law because caste is not expressly stated in our laws. When someone has a claim of caste discrimination, the strength of their evidence may not be sufficient if the presiding judge decides current laws are not inclusive of caste discrimination. This is why we must expressly state caste discrimination is prohibited in California.

Analyses talks about current law, what the proposed law will change, relevant precedent and events, comments from the author, and then they'll pick at least one, sometimes two comments from both opponents and proponents of a bill (usually lobbyists). They'll also list all groups who registered support and opposition.

I'm not going to say that the committee staff lawyers are perfect (I sometimes disagree with analysis), but their job is to prepare a mostly-neutral executive summary. They present arguments from both sides, though they'll also call out stuff that doesn't seem true or likely true. For instance, the "Opponents “Equal Protection” concerns seem overstated." section talks about how the Opponents of the bill tried to claim that inserting caste into the state's antidiscrimination laws violated the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment... which the staff lawyer says is unlikely.

This post is long enough; you can find the support/against in the analysis.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

mikeycp posted:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/SB-90-Veto.pdf

quote:

To the Members of the California State Senate:
I am returning Senate Bill 90 without my signature.
This bill would prohibit health plans from imposing a copayment of more than $35 for a 30-day supply of an insulin prescription drug.

Bringing down the costs of prescription drugs, and particularly insulin, has long been a priority of mine. People should not be forced to go into debt to get lifesaving medicines. In March, I announced the state's partnership with Civica to create our own line of CalRx biosimilar insulins that will cost no more than $30 per l 0ml vial or $55 for five 3ml cartridges. This is a fraction of the current price for most insulins, and CalRx biosimilar insulins will be available to insured and uninsured patients nationwide. With CalRx, we are getting at the underlying cost, which is the true sustainable solution to high-cost pharmaceuticals. With copay caps however, the long-term costs are still passed down to consumers through higher premiums from health plans. As a state, we have led the nation in our efforts and investments to address the true underlying costs of insulin prescription affordability.

For these reasons, I cannot sign this bill.

Those CalRx insulins are still not here yet. I'm reading production might start sometime in 2024? We'll see how it goes but his political future might be hosed if the CalRx insulins don't pan out.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

The stuff I saw about it was largely identical to white people talking about affirmative action. Caste discrimination doesn't exist anymore and actually the lower castes get so much help that it's really the upper castes that are discriminated against, actually.

I also saw some stuff along the lines of castes are part of Hinduism and the only reason "they" are doing this is because of hinduphobia, "they" want to destroy Hinduism, etc

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 9, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hadlock posted:

I think it was a bad veto but I can give the reasoning I’ve heard for similar bills.

If a wider-protecting law should already cover a group but it’s a little fuzzy, creating a specific carve out for that group could cause other, similar groups that should also be covered by the wider-protecting law to appear to not be protected.

So consider a law that prohibits discrimination based on race. An immigrant from Honduras refuses to hire anyone from Nicaragua, and says since Nicaraguan isn’t a race and he hires Hondurans he’s allowed to. If a bill was passed saying “you can’t discriminate against Nicaraguans” that can be (badly) interpreted to mean that they weren’t covered by the first bill and Guatemalans have no protection in the original bill.

To me the answer to that is to make the definition simultaneously more broad and specific, as we do when we protect things like national origin. I’m not sure what the perfect law would be instead of the caste one but Newsom should be suggesting that if he’s vetoing this one for that reason. The existing law obviously isn’t working adequately.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think it was a bad veto but I can give the reasoning I’ve heard for similar bills.

If a wider-protecting law should already cover a group but it’s a little fuzzy, creating a specific carve out for that group could cause other, similar groups that should also be covered by the wider-protecting law to appear to not be protected.

So consider a law that prohibits discrimination based on race. An immigrant from Honduras refuses to hire anyone from Nicaragua, and says since Nicaraguan isn’t a race and he hires Hondurans he’s allowed to. If a bill was passed saying “you can’t discriminate against Nicaraguans” that can be (badly) interpreted to mean that they weren’t covered by the first bill and Guatemalans have no protection in the original bill.

To me the answer to that is to make the definition simultaneously more broad and specific, as we do when we protect things like national origin. I’m not sure what the perfect law would be instead of the caste one but Newsom should be suggesting that if he’s vetoing this one for that reason. The existing law obviously isn’t working adequately.
I mean, that's a fine sentiment, but that doesn't apply to this bill?
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240SB403&showamends=false
I can just copy-paste it I guess...

quote:

The amendments in this act are declarative of and clarify existing law. This act shall not be construed to mean that discrimination on the basis of ancestry does not already include discrimination on the basis of lineal descent, heritage, parentage, caste, or any other inherited social status.
(8) “Ancestry” includes, but is not limited to, lineal descent, heritage, parentage, caste, or any inherited social status. Nothing precludes a person from alleging discrimination on the basis of ancestry in combination with discrimination based upon other protected characteristics.
(9) “Caste” means an individual’s perceived position in a system of social stratification on the basis of inherited status. “A system of social stratification on the basis of inherited status” may be characterized by factors that may include, but are not limited to, inability or restricted ability to alter inherited status; socially enforced restrictions on marriage, private and public segregation, and discrimination; and social exclusion on the basis of perceived status.
As I said in the previous post the legislature made their intent clear. Earlier versions of the bill only addressed Caste, but the committee (as talked about in the analysis) made the recommendation to also include Ancestry to be more generalized (I think some wanted to replace Caste with Ancestry but they decided to keep both of them in, because why not). I'm not going to say this bill is perfect by any stretch, but a lot of thought and gnashing of teeth was done on what they were actually going to protect, as often happens when a bill is first introduced and it goes through the committee process with enough vigor and debate.

Newsom's veto is poo poo. I mostly agree with this take:

big black turnout posted:

The stuff I saw about it was largely identical to white people talking about affirmative action. Caste discrimination doesn't exist anymore and actually the lower castes get so much help that it's really the upper castes that are discriminated against, actually.

I also saw some stuff along the lines of castes are part of Hinduism and the only reason "they" are doing this is because of hinduphobia, "they" want to destroy Hinduism, etc
Likely those of the upper caste that are mad about this bill occupy enough demo of the donor class that Newsom doesn't want to piss them off for his future presidential ambitions.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 10, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s been mentioned in this thread, but you might be in for a shocker if you try to discuss caste with your progressive Indian friends. There’s some calcified, hardened attitudes around that poo poo. It’s not going away either because of the newer waves of Indian migrants, many influenced by chauvinist Hindu nationalist politics. Vetoing the bill was the garbage thing morally but the wise thing politically.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The only one I actually cared about was mushrooms and that's dead. I already hated gav but now I lust for the biggest crash and burn possible on the largest stage possible

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Vegetable posted:

It’s been mentioned in this thread, but you might be in for a shocker if you try to discuss caste with your progressive Indian friends. There’s some calcified, hardened attitudes around that poo poo. It’s not going away either because of the newer waves of Indian migrants, many influenced by chauvinist Hindu nationalist politics. Vetoing the bill was the garbage thing morally but the wise thing politically.

i mean, by 90s neolib logic sure, but in this century the wise thing politically is to have a spine and take a moral stand. maybe the tipping point hasn't quite been reached but we've got as many boomer neolibs as we're ever gonna have, and the number of zoomer voters with no taste for that bullshit is only growing

e: it would definitely put him at odds with The Machine though regardless, yeah, because The Machine is a gerontocracy of which he might actually be the youngest member

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mikeycp posted:

I lust for the biggest crash and burn possible on the largest stage possible...

...that doesn't end up with an (R) in the White House.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

No mushrooms or insulin price caps, but cursive is back on the menu, boys.

https://abc7.com/amp/cursive-california-schools-governor-newsom-teaching-handwriting/13926546/

(I'm a fan of this, but still it's the principle of the thing)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I could go for some mushroom price caps

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I remember in the 80s being mad about cursive instruction, and the next year finding out I was the last class to get cursive instruction

This is madness, no

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

𝓜𝓪𝓭𝓷𝓮𝓼𝓼? 𝓣𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓼 𝓒𝓪𝓵𝓲𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓪!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

the article raises points in favor that i agree with, but i'm also a weirdo that's in favor of handwriting as much as possible.

i know it helps me remember things way better, and writing in script rather than just block even moreso.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I scrawl barely legible notes to myself on a 6x9 steno pad, it's my preferred organisational system for work stuff

Outside of that the only time I write stuff down is usually signatures on documents a handful of times per year. Penmanship is a worthless skill in today's society I'd prefer that time be used teaching budgeting or taxes or financial planning. Calculating how much of your monthly budget your car payment is going to take up is highly valuable

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Cursive is fine, but I'm not sure it is an effective use of ELA classroom time. When I was teaching elementary, 7 years ago, reading levels were on the decline. My friends still teaching are constantly telling horror stories of middle schoolers that can barely read.

Phonics isn't being used as much/as heavily to teach reading anymore, in favor of some highly flawed new methods, and in conjunction with various other factors is going to give us a generation that really struggles with literacy and comprehension.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
drat our cops suck.

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1714632705110159575

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That looked deliberate.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Cursive is fine, but I'm not sure it is an effective use of ELA classroom time. When I was teaching elementary, 7 years ago, reading levels were on the decline. My friends still teaching are constantly telling horror stories of middle schoolers that can barely read.

Phonics isn't being used as much/as heavily to teach reading anymore, in favor of some highly flawed new methods, and in conjunction with various other factors is going to give us a generation that really struggles with literacy and comprehension.

Part of me said “no way” when I read this, but that’s just because I don’t want it to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

:eng101: Highly flawed OLD methods! The current teaching method, The Prussian Method/Whole Word/Whole Language/Balanced Literacy, is the method that was favored in the US from around 1850 until about 1950 when it was found that teaching by phonics worked better, and it was only in the 1990s that there became a movement among teachers to move back away from phonics, because of an impression that it was more just authoritarian rote memorization that teachers felt didn't work for different learning styles and that kids would naturally learn phonics from vocabulary, despite the fact that studies repeatedly show that phonics works better and kids naturally learn vocabulary if they understand phonics first.

fermun fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 19, 2023