Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Seriously, bot Deathmatch is a great way for new players (or returning ones) to practice with all the weapons available and get a feel for how they handle. Shooting at moving targets trains your aim much better than spraying at a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

not even bot deathmatch, just deathmatch with other players because then you get to practice against other people instead of predictable bots

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I can still see servers with players in them, but get the error "server is reserved for a game lobby". Somethin's broken

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

I can still see servers with players in them, but get the error "server is reserved for a game lobby". Somethin's broken

gotta restart. I don't know why but sometimes you match but then no one can join

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its rules being able to switch m4's

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Dongicus posted:

its rules being able to switch m4's

I have both equipped. M4A1s for me cause I am a scrub, M4A4 for teammates cause they are always better than me.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Budzilla posted:

I have both equipped. M4A1s for me cause I am a scrub, M4A4 for teammates cause they are always better than me.

That's what it means to be able to switch M4s

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Budzilla posted:

This is pretty much what I'm doing except if I'm in a match where we have a decent lead and extra cash I've been trying to use the m4a4 to get better with it.

The larger 30 round magazine for the a4 is a serious advantage. I've had a few lucky clutches where if i had to reload due to the smaller a1-s magazine i definitely would've lost.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I'm not sure how to properly spray anything in this game after a 7+ year absence. Same with the desert eagle I feel like my bullets just go randomly after the first shot no matter how long I let it reset. Still having a blast but very frustrating having my games be very hot/cold.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

faantastic posted:

I'm not sure how to properly spray anything in this game after a 7+ year absence. Same with the desert eagle I feel like my bullets just go randomly after the first shot no matter how long I let it reset. Still having a blast but very frustrating having my games be very hot/cold.

try the follow recoil setting, it moves your crosshair to (approximately) where your bullets are actually going so you just need to keep your crosshair on the guy

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

would love a bind for follow recoil. it's too distracting on ARs but for the mp9/mac10 it'd be pretty great

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Speaking of binds - is there any benefit to doing the quickswitching that you see some people do after each shot with scout/awp?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Speaking of binds - is there any benefit to doing the quickswitching that you see some people do after each shot with scout/awp?

It is faster than scoping out if you are in the first zoom level.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Cached Money posted:

It is faster than scoping out if you are in the first zoom level.

But not faster for getting another shot off?

edit:
vvv
ok, :thanks:

How do you get custom binds to stick across sessions?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 7, 2023

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
It allow you to reposition faster. You wont shoot faster wby doing so

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PirateBob posted:

But not faster for getting another shot off?

edit:
vvv
ok, :thanks:

How do you get custom binds to stick across sessions?

I havent checked if cs2 has autoexec but if it does find it and stick em in there

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
cs2 has autoexec, so you can still have jumpthrow and crouchjump binds etc

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ArfJason posted:

I havent checked if cs2 has autoexec but if it does find it and stick em in there

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\game\csgo\cfg

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

cs2 has autoexec, so you can still have jumpthrow and crouchjump binds etc

I'm not familiar with those things. Is there a benefit to jumping while throwing, or to crouching while jumping?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Just had a really close win on Dust as CT that literally came down to the wire. I didn't perform that great, but managed to get 12 people flashed. If there's anything I'm good at using, it's Flashbangs.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

PirateBob posted:

I'm not familiar with those things. Is there a benefit to jumping while throwing, or to crouching while jumping?

Crouchjump bind is very situational and not necessary- just sometimes helps for doing some of the trickier jumps, but a jumpthrow bind is totally a requirement if you want to consistently land long range smoke grenades

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

Crouchjump bind is very situational and not necessary- just sometimes helps for doing some of the trickier jumps, but a jumpthrow bind is totally a requirement if you want to consistently land long range smoke grenades

Why do I want to use long range smoke grenades?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

What are the top 3 smoke grenades I should learn

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

mirage window, dust ii doors, nuke outside

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

an easy one to learn is smoking the mirage ramp at A site as ct

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the cool thing about living in the uk is you get put on the EU matchmaking servers and have no clue what any of your team is saying because they all only speak russian

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

hbag posted:

the cool thing about living in the uk is you get put on the EU matchmaking servers and have no clue what any of your team is saying because they all only speak russian

Rrrrrrush b!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

it also means it always sounds like youre getting yelled at when the guy's probably just going "haha good round team :)"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've learned with much appreciation from teammates

Inferno
Smoke CT from truck (banana)
Smoke left side from main (arches)

Vertigo
Smoke backside and sidehall from a ramp
Smoke b CT from b main
Molly a ramp from crane

Overpass
Smoke monster tunnel from bin at CT spawn

Mirage
A stairs smoke
Window

Anubis A main from camera

Every map I try to learn a new one while dead/waiting for folks to load.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

cs2 removed the requirement of a jumpthrow bind. if you.guy does the grunt it means theyre going the max distance

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

me winning on Anubis: Anubis is good!

me losing on Anubis: Anubis is bad!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

trying to jack off posted:

cs2 removed the requirement of a jumpthrow bind. if you.guy does the grunt it means theyre going the max distance

It's still easier to use a jump throw bind imo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I qlready got used to doing it manually. The one thing i need to remember to put in my autoexec is crouchjump. I dont even think you get the extra height units from a duck then jump but might as well for convenience

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Dongicus posted:

would love a bind for follow recoil. it's too distracting on ARs but for the mp9/mac10 it'd be pretty great

Bind a key to “toggle cl_crosshair_recoil true false”

What’s a good jump throw bind? I don’t think I get it perfectly alot of the time

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 8, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Slotducks posted:

I've learned with much appreciation from teammates

Inferno
Smoke CT from truck (banana)
Smoke left side from main (arches)

Vertigo
Smoke backside and sidehall from a ramp
Smoke b CT from b main
Molly a ramp from crane

Overpass
Smoke monster tunnel from bin at CT spawn

Mirage
A stairs smoke
Window

Anubis A main from camera

Every map I try to learn a new one while dead/waiting for folks to load.

My question about why use smoke at long range wasn't answered, so I'll try again.

So, my noob understanding of smoke is that it increases the win chance of your team by blocking off some sniping spots/shooting corridors for the other team, and even blocks off the use of some routes, because the person running through smoke is at disadvantage when coming out of it, they'll be spotted slightly before they can spot the enemies on the other side?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thats exactly why you would want to throw it a long distance, yes

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

PirateBob posted:

My question about why use smoke at long range wasn't answered, so I'll try again.

So, my noob understanding of smoke is that it increases the win chance of your team by blocking off some sniping spots/shooting corridors for the other team, and even blocks off the use of some routes, because the person running through smoke is at disadvantage when coming out of it, they'll be spotted slightly before they can spot the enemies on the other side?

Also using jumpthrows, you can throw effective smokes without exposing yourself. The simplest way to smoke off something is to literally look at it and just left click your grenade at the spot, but that also puts you in harms way. If you can, for instance, smoke off CT on mirage from T-spawn, you're maximizing your utility while minimizing risk

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

remember that holding left click throws further than tapping left click, and if you right click you underhand throw it a couple feet in front of you

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

hbag posted:

remember that holding left click throws further than tapping left click, and if you right click you underhand throw it a couple feet in front of you

TY for this, I legit thought grenades only had two distances, left click far, right click close, but now seeing I can control them a lot more is pretty crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
You can also do a mid strength throw by clicking both left and right with your mouse.