Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I don't think The Witcher 3 was the first big game to use chromatic aberration, but it's the first one I remember. Even the optimization guide on Nvidia's website was like "Well, this kinda looks like poo poo and I'm not sure why you'd even want to simulate the effect, but you can enable it if you're into that sort of thing, I guess."

fake edit:

"Nvidia posted:

Chromatic Aberration is an age-old visual artifact associated with cheaper camera lenses and improperly taken photos. In recent years however, Chromatic Aberration has grown popular with game developers, much to the dismay of gamers who prefer cleaner images free of unsightly distortion. In the context of a photographer, or a security guard viewing the game world through a cheap camera, its use might make sense, but when playing in first or third person it merely suggests a trip to the optician is in order.

Thankfully, CD Projekt RED has made Chromatic Aberration an optional effect in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, ensuring a clean, clear image is obtainable. When enabled, it distorts the picture slightly, but no where near the extent seen in other games featuring the effect. This doesn't really come through on screenshots, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I've hosed around with chromatic abberation in a bunch of games and I honestly didn't notice it at all in Mirage. I did lol at the option "Iconic Colour Filter" (it makes everything blue :shrug: ) A new low in Ubi's weirdo attempts to claim the stupidest poo poo they can think of as "iconic"

e] I haven't played much of the game yet but it feels like an old expansion, kinda reminds me of like, Freedom Cry or something. It's just pure standard ac formula, which is fine, I like stabbin people and looting chests. I sure as poo poo wouldn't buy it but I don't mind paying for a month of uplay to get it.

One cool thing (I don't think this was in the latest games) is the notoriety system is back, and if it gets too high all the civilian npcs start hootin and hollerin and calling the guards on you. Then some rear end in a top hat Templar agent with a sword + dagger combo will show up and start hunting you, and will absolutely gently caress you up given the slightest chance. It makes it feel like there's actually some consequence to the notoriety meter, which is nice.

There's actually a whole bunch of pretty rad finisher animations, but it's easy to miss them if you're just parry - instakilling everyone.

Story & characters seem completely unremarkable/broing so far but I'm early stages so that might improve (lol. I like the old grey-hair mentor, but Shohreh Agdashloo's voice is getting pretty gnarly and it's just kind of distracting .

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 8, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The chromatic aberration is really obvious to me playing in performance on PS5 and I suspect a toggle will be one of the first major patches

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I did lol at the option "Iconic Colour Filter" (it makes everything blue :shrug: ) A new low in Ubi's weirdo attempts to claim the stupidest poo poo they can think of as "iconic"

This might be a self-concious joke since Ubisoft got a lot of teasing for Watch Dog's 1 collector's edition including "iconic" hat of the main character, as in "iconic" attribute of a hero of a yet unreleased game which was just a baseball cap.

AC2 is fresh in my memory and it's notoriety system might not be there at all - even a couple of street massacres won't fill it so apart from the tutorial I haven't ever filled it. In AC3 it was noticeable and was probably the best implementation of the system before Odyssey sent mini-bosses after you. Mirage sounds close to Odyssey, that is nice.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've hosed around with chromatic abberation in a bunch of games and I honestly didn't notice it at all in Mirage. I did lol at the option "Iconic Colour Filter" (it makes everything blue :shrug: ) A new low in Ubi's weirdo attempts to claim the stupidest poo poo they can think of as "iconic"

It's about using (more or less) the same filter as AC1 back in the day. A surprising amount of pre-game PR was spent on that, which is funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilitarist posted:

This might be a self-concious joke since Ubisoft got a lot of teasing for Watch Dog's 1 collector's edition including "iconic" hat of the main character, as in "iconic" attribute of a hero of a yet unreleased game which was just a baseball cap.

AC2 is fresh in my memory and it's notoriety system might not be there at all - even a couple of street massacres won't fill it so apart from the tutorial I haven't ever filled it. In AC3 it was noticeable and was probably the best implementation of the system before Odyssey sent mini-bosses after you. Mirage sounds close to Odyssey, that is nice.

It is genuinely closest to AC1/2. You can fill it technically but only if you ignore the dozens of wanted posters present at all times and go loud all the time.

The 'mini-boss' is a thing but completely unironically the first time I found him I only realized I had killed him because an achievement popped up. He was indistinguishable from a regular enemy.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
lol he kicked my rear end in about 3 seconds straight

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fuligin posted:

Deep South 60s where you play a Black Panther assassin. Bonus preorder althist dlc, 'The Tyranny of President Bobby'

thats just mafia 3. a very very good story game with solid gameplay. its just killing mafia dudes and southern bigots, the game. you also light nolan north cultural conservative radio man/klansman on fire. seriously buy mafia 3. its like 10 bucks everywhere.

phenominal music too.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats just mafia 3. a very very good story game with solid gameplay. its just killing mafia dudes and southern bigots, the game. you also light nolan north cultural conservative radio man/klansman on fire. seriously buy mafia 3. its like 10 bucks everywhere.

phenominal music too.

Yeah, it can get very repetitive, but the thing that you repeat over and over again is killing racists, so that's all right.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

AC Mirage: it's boring

Repetitive and too easy, even when I try to constrain myself by adding artificial challenge. The guards are just too dumb and easy to assassinate. and there's not enough allowance for creativity by the gameplay

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm glad they managed to recreate the spirit of classic AC games.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
mafia 3 sucks rear end

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

mafia 3 sucks rear end

Yeah but if you are posting in this thread then you are on thin ice complaining about games with overly repetitive core gameplay.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

Yeah, it can get very repetitive, but the thing that you repeat over and over again is killing racists, so that's all right.

yeah but the core gameplay is very fun and the combat is meaty and chalanging in a good way.

blue squares posted:

AC Mirage: it's boring

Repetitive and too easy, even when I try to constrain myself by adding artificial challenge. The guards are just too dumb and easy to assassinate. and there's not enough allowance for creativity by the gameplay

yeah. its very minamlist even more so then the old ac games. it very much feels like a light version of the black boxes of unity put in an open world thats a mix of origins and assassins creed revelations. i kinda feels like its tyring to be hitman but hitman has the creativty to have fun weird poo poo and being able to brute force poo poo. i can't believe i am saying this but i wish their were more scripted moments and poo poo. its weird because its also very easy to just fully upgrade poo poo real quick like throwing knives.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im probably going to pass on this one which is the first time i've skipped a "main line" ac title unless you count rogue. if it was a movie i'd say that i'd watch it on a flight, except they dont give you free video games on airplanes. maybe it'll be on gamepass eventually.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
How is Baghdad, and the wandering around therin?

Honestly kinda surprised at the total lack of buzz here, I was sorta looking forward to this (clearly not enough to have actually played it yet mind)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Baghdad is cool & some of it is really pretty, but it's been forever since I played Origins or Odyssey so I'm not sure how much of it is just reused assets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Baghdad is cool & some of it is really pretty, but it's been forever since I played Origins or Odyssey so I'm not sure how much of it is just reused assets.

i am sure a bunch of it is, but i very much like the city design and areas. i do wish districts stuck out more but whatever.

Koramei posted:

How is Baghdad, and the wandering around therin?

Honestly kinda surprised at the total lack of buzz here, I was sorta looking forward to this (clearly not enough to have actually played it yet mind)

thats alot of games this year, i hadnt heard poo poo about a bunch of playstation exclusives that dumbed earlier this year and i didnt hear anything about starfield. i see alot on BG3 and Cyberpunk now though.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

saw this elsewhere, my cat never told me he was an assassin :catstare:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Nothing is forbidden, everything is purrmitted.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think I’m going to go back and play all the Ezio games again. I loved them, and I always thought the modern day storyline with Desmond was mind blowing (of course I was a 20 year old at the time)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought it was always a problem that it looked like they were leading up to a fully modern day AC, except that already existed and was called Splinter Cell.

Then we never got the modern day AC and Ubisoft just kinda gave up on Sam Fisher.

e: splinter cell 1 and chaos theory are absolutely games I'd love to see a remaster of.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

blue squares posted:

I think I’m going to go back and play all the Ezio games again. I loved them, and I always thought the modern day storyline with Desmond was mind blowing (of course I was a 20 year old at the time)

If you're playing on PC you must check out AC2 Eagle Patch. It helps a lot with LOD popups. This took me out of the experience even though I'm fine with 10 polygons faces.

BTW Unity never fixed this, I've heard mods are powerless, and for me it's the worst looking AC game considering the patches. Even at max settings the people and objects just pop up right in front of you. I remember watching video titled OMG Unity with RTX mod looks INCREDIBLE and it was very funny to see how this still happens on top of incredible lighting.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Haha I forgot how bad the controls are in AC2. To run I have to hold three different controls (forward on left joystick, R2, and X), which means my fingers can't reach the camera stick to turn my view

Playing on my PS5 because the games are cheaper there via the Playstation subscription thing

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 11, 2023

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Alchenar posted:

I thought it was always a problem that it looked like they were leading up to a fully modern day AC, except that already existed and was called Splinter Cell.

Then we never got the modern day AC and Ubisoft just kinda gave up on Sam Fisher.

e: splinter cell 1 and chaos theory are absolutely games I'd love to see a remaster of.

It was supposed to be watch_dogs but…

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

blue squares posted:

2 has some good moments but doesnt hold up. the pacing is eh and the templar assassins poo poo is kinda backloaded. it doesnt help that the game also has a ton of bullshit filler and the dlc both kinda suck.

brotherhood holds up and is good but very easy to break,

revaltion is brother hood but very clearly a planed expansion and with tons of weird dumb poo poo attached because they didnt know where to take the series.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was supposed to be watch_dogs but…

i still count watch dogs as modern day AC. it has enough dumb crossover poo poo and to me its one of those "they take place in the same universe but rarely crossover".
that series is a mess but i liked parts of 2 and legion well enough to bad about it being dead now basicaly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

blue squares posted:

Haha I forgot how bad the controls are in AC2. To run I have to hold three different controls (forward on left joystick, R2, and X), which means my fingers can't reach the camera stick to turn my view

Playing on my PS5 because the games are cheaper there via the Playstation subscription thing

yeah, 2 doesnt age well at all but its weirdly nostalgic because of how different mechanic designs and writing(good and bad) was in that era of gaming.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, 2 doesnt age well at all but its weirdly nostalgic because of how different mechanic designs and writing(good and bad) was in that era of gaming.

I am at sequence 11 right now and I wouldn't recommend people to play it. But it has that magic that was already lost in AC3, especially in parkour. Apart from parkour the gameplay is easy and also bullshit. That social stealth people seem to miss is used a single time in the main story (to be fair, I didn't do many side assassinations in Venice, but I think only 1 side assassination had a social stealth opporty), stealth in general is extremely awkward and unrefined - knives one shot people but game over you in missions where you can't be spotted... but a freaking gun is fine, shoot away! Camera controls are also infuriating: I think in this era games weren't comfortable with players controlling camera all the time so game.constantly hijacks the camera. The gimmick with buttons being responsible for head, hands and legs is dumb too - you interact with objects by pressing left hand/B/Cancel/Climb down button, but you talk to people or read things with you head/Y/Eagle Vision button. And the game doesn't tell you the button, it shows you an icon of hand or a leg, even in QTE. All the attack types and all the tools are on right hand/X button, so to drop a smoke bomb and then attack people you switch to a smoke bomb, press X, then switch to a sword and press X again.

Brotherhood is a huge step up in playability.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 11, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All right, I can find better ways to spend my time than to replay old mediocre games just because they have a few cool cutscenes I remember digging

Doing the Assassin's Tombs were super cool back in the day but with the controls probably not worth the bother anymore

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I feel like the originals might be good for handhelds…gonna try some 2008-era gaming on my new Deck like ME1, Witcher, and AC1 and see how they play.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

I am at sequence 11 right now and I wouldn't recommend people to play it. But it has that magic that was already lost in AC3, especially in parkour. Apart from parkour the gameplay is easy and also bullshit. That social stealth people seem to miss is used a single time in the main story (to be fair, I didn't do many side assassinations in Venice, but I think only 1 side assassination had a social stealth opporty), stealth in general is extremely awkward and unrefined - knives one shot people but game over you in missions where you can't be spotted... but a freaking gun is fine, shoot away! Camera controls are also infuriating: I think in this era games weren't comfortable with players controlling camera all the time so game.constantly hijacks the camera. The gimmick with buttons being responsible for head, hands and legs is dumb too - you interact with objects by pressing left hand/B/Cancel/Climb down button, but you talk to people or read things with you head/Y/Eagle Vision button. And the game doesn't tell you the button, it shows you an icon of hand or a leg, even in QTE. All the attack types and all the tools are on right hand/X button, so to drop a smoke bomb and then attack people you switch to a smoke bomb, press X, then switch to a sword and press X again.

Brotherhood is a huge step up in playability.

brotherhood is kinda the game that made AC for better or worse what it is because even the rpgs have alot of brotherhood in them. big location where you slowly unlock areas and have various regional bosses and baddies with one over baddy and its mostly you wandering from area to area doing various side quests and poo poo.
2 while having a cool setting and poo poo mostly just is a more story driven adventure with a sorta open world you cant do poo poo in. more a mafia 2 type deal then anything else. idk. i dont care for 2.

3 to me just suffers from trying to be everything and being clearly cut down alot for time. you were clearly gonna be able to play more as haythem and connor and their were probably gonna be a couple more templars and set pieces, instead it kinda meanders around, like origins does that too but origins has fun regional stories and side missions and poo poo. ac3 just doesnt go anywhere.

also weird petty thing but i hate the templars in 3. not in a supposed to way but just because they don't work outside whats his face and pitcarn. i like lee as an idea. a brownosing dickhead who makes poo poo worse because he treats anyone outside the club like a piece of poo poo he found on his boot. but why is hickey even there. like i get he is supposed to be like the dipshit cutthroat they keep around to do dirty poo poo but like lol, he doesnt fit the mold and while that can work in a better game, it doesnt here. also that whole loving scene with connor and lee in the woods is just so loving bad. like all of them are just their dressed how they always are in loving nice clothing and poo poo and lee being a gently caress fucks with some dumb kid because he is an elistest tosser. like it just never works. if you gonna do it. it should have been lee and some militia or some poo poo.

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1712148332817084678
apperently mirage sold well

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 11, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hated 3, but Haytham's defence of Hickey is solid gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7U3LsvbE8&t=186s

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

2 while having a cool setting and poo poo mostly just is a more story driven adventure with a sorta open world you cant do poo poo in. more a mafia 2 type deal then anything else. idk. i dont care for 2.

And you're right there. It's a game from a time when open world games were novel. You can see a lot of ambition and effort put into it but it's very much misguided.

The fact that you sort of need to play AC2 before you start Brotherhood - a much more complete game - is a good hint why Ubisoft stopped making character sequels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hated 3, but Haytham's defence of Hickey is solid gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7U3LsvbE8&t=186s

i like that haythems defenses are kinda lovely. his plan was basicaly buy the land and i doubt the natives would have been kept around for long. pitcarne was way too late to do any negotiations and hickney is an idiot to put in charge of a hit. yeah i know he was a real guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hickey_(soldier)

ilitarist posted:

And you're right there. It's a game from a time when open world games were novel. You can see a lot of ambition and effort put into it but it's very much misguided.

The fact that you sort of need to play AC2 before you start Brotherhood - a much more complete game - is a good hint why Ubisoft stopped making character sequels.

yeah plus i like the anthology feel. yeah some of the stories suck but your always with a new assassins/s and new time period

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean Mirage's plot is basically incoherent without playing Valhalla.

Edit: Honestly it kinda fuckin' blows chunks that the game set in Baghdad ends up being about Norse mythology.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Mirage's plot is basically incoherent without playing Valhalla.

Edit: Honestly it kinda fuckin' blows chunks that the game set in Baghdad ends up being about Norse mythology.

It's kind of a meaning without distinction but I took the ending of Valhalla to be less 'the Norse gods are real' and more 'all religion is just a series of localized interpretations of various scheming Isu'

They did the same thing with Odyssey, which I kind of get because other than just outright ignoring the ancient aliens poo poo where else do you go with it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The ending of Valhalla was "your older brother ended up really disappointed by the video game he was super hyped for" which was the most relatable thing Ubisoft has made about this entire series.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wolfsheim posted:

It's kind of a meaning without distinction but I took the ending of Valhalla to be less 'the Norse gods are real' and more 'all religion is just a series of localized interpretations of various scheming Isu'

They did the same thing with Odyssey, which I kind of get because other than just outright ignoring the ancient aliens poo poo where else do you go with it

Technically the Isu are actually the indigenous population

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

christmas boots posted:

Technically the Isu are actually the indigenous population

You can't know for sure. It was always easy to call them Ancient Aliens and I bet in some future ecstatic rush of inspiration some Ubisoft writer will reveal a grand twist of them actually being aliens. You say it won't change anything at all, I say your logic is powerless against the poetry of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

You can't know for sure. It was always easy to call them Ancient Aliens and I bet in some future ecstatic rush of inspiration some Ubisoft writer will reveal a grand twist of them actually being aliens. You say it won't change anything at all, I say your logic is powerless against the poetry of art.

idk. i always found the isu loving dumb and i find it funny how everytime the modern frame story starts heading in a interesting direction it gets shot in the kneecap. like when they wanted to bring back whats her face and have a whole cult dedicated to her and she had her lover get reincarnated like 300 times to slowly build up a plan, yeah she is just a snoke in jar and then ends up dead in a comic issue. assassins creed works way better when its just anthology of assassins and templars under different names killing each other over the centuries.