Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for letting the family dog run away - or more specifically, not actively trying to retrieve it after it got out and ran away?

I had an ex who saw our dog who ran away on the street months later and I was like "oh!! so did you get him?" "No, I was just letting you know."

Never dumped someone so quick in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MagpieConcept posted:

I had an ex who saw our dog who ran away on the street months later and I was like "oh!! so did you get him?" "No, I was just letting you know."

Never dumped someone so quick in my life.

Did you ever learn why they didn't get your dog? Did your partner just hate dogs? That's some sociopathic poo poo.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The OP needs to get in writing from the department head, principal, whatever, that they consider it abandoned property and give the OP permission to deal with it as they see fit. That way, when the teacher shows up demanding her vintage 1993 textbooks and personal copy of “Hardy Boys Casefiles 2: Evil Inc.” the OP’s bases are covered.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for refusing to plan my wife's birthday dinner around her family?

quote:

My wife (26F) is the baby of her family and her birthday has become a bit of a sore topic for her. Ever since she was little she was asked to accommodate for her family when it came to birthday meals. Her brother in-law (married to her oldest sister who has been around since she was 2) has Crohn's Disease and of course they have dietary restrictions due to this. But my wife is the only person in her family who has to sacrifice for this.

My FIL only likes steak and potatoes. He is very strict with that and despises "weird rear end exotic food with weird sauces" and my wife is expected to accommodate him as well.

My MIL is huge into salads but like her husband doesn't like "exotic veg" aka Asian veggies. My wife is expected to accommodate for her as well.

Neither of the parents like spicy food or "foreign foods".

My SIL (not the one married to the BIL with Crohn's) doesn't like "heavy food" and no, I don't really know all the details on that. But again, my wife must accommodate.

This poo poo started back when she was 5 and back then her favorite meal was this chicken casserole dish her grandmother used to make. My wife remembers her parents asking if they could have steak and salads with soup for her birthday dinner instead of the casserole because everyone else would struggle to eat. She was upset and they saw that and she remembers a little pressure being added and she agreed and almost identical conversations happened every year after that.

When she got older they were all doing dinners in a restaurant for birthdays and my wife could never have either of her favorite places. She had two choices total and those two were the ones that could accommodate everyone else's food requests and she never got to have a meal she loved on her birthday.

I have known my wife for 9 years now and I have witnessed it year after year and she's lost a lot of joy or interest in her birthday. So this year I decided that I was going to take over planning her birthday celebration and I chose her favorite restaurant. Our friends and my family have all said they will come. But my ILs have complained about the restaurant of choice. I told them the venue had been booked and we will understand if they can't come.

I got replies back saying they want to come but can't and I said that was unfortunate. They told me my wife always makes accommodations for them. I confirmed that it was true and I pointed out they never return the favor. I asked why they should enjoy her birthday meal more than her. They said it's not like that and I said yes it is. I said they take advantage of her love for them and the fact she doesn't want to upset or leave anyone out. I told them they should be doing the same for her on HER birthday. I told them I would not plan her birthday dinners around them anymore and they will not change my mind.

They're pissed at me and are saying I will be the reason they won't be able to come.

AITA?

AITAH in leaving my wife after kids turn 18 because I was not sexually satisfied, even though she says she will change

quote:

Me(44m) and my wife(43f) are married for over 2 decades. But I was not sexually satisfied for majority of marriage. I stayed because of kids. My youngest is about to go to college in about a year and I planned to divorce my wife soon after that. I thought of just telling her afterwards but I felt it was lovely to spring it on her like that so I told her that we are getting divorced as soon as youngest leaves home. In this way I thought she will have time to prepare herself mentally.

When I told her, she could not believe it. I think she could not process it so suddenly. Then when it actually hit her, she started crying, arguing and stuff. Not gonna lie, it took me by surprise too. Did she not see it coming. Turns out she did not. She started blaming me that I did not tell her that I would just leave otherwise she would have made more effort. She thought I was okay with amount of sex she was giving me.

I could not even get myself to argue at this point. I told her over and over again for like past decade that I am not sexually satisfied. She would just get defensive or ignore me. I am also not being opaque about my divorce plans. I have started getting into dating shape, hitting the gym and stuff. I told her that I am not arguing it with her anymore. I told her she did not listen, my responsibility is over.

Then she started talking about how she was busy raising my children. Which she was and I was too, she sacrificed her marriage for kids, I sacrificed my happiness. I chose it I do not regret staying because of kids. But now I want to live for myself.

She keeps telling me that I should have told her I would leave her, that I was not happy. I did give her ultimatums in fights. But even I knew I will not leave kids so I never really gave her a serious ultimatum. I knew I would not follow through. I guess she knew too.

Now she is doing trying to have sex but I am not really interested. I am neither in love with her, nor I am attracted to her. She has "let herself go". She said she will start taking care of her weight and she will become beautiful to me that she will have all the sex I want.

I am happy for her that she is taking care of herself. BUT I am not interested in her anymore.

She is begging me to give her a chance, that she will make it right. But I dont really wanna stay with her. I think I dont want her anymore. I dont love her.

Edit: Many People are asking about chores and stuff and whether she is SAHM. She is not a SAHM, we both handled chores and childcare almost equally.

I can't wait for the update in 6-10 months where homeboy finds the Hot Singles really are NOT waiting to meet him.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 8, 2023

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.
Yu

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Cowslips Warren posted:

Gosh, if only there were places where people could gather for celebrations and a wide variety of foods were on offer, cooked to order, that could satisfy diverse palates and dietary restrictions. Sadly no such establishments exist and I have to estrange my wife from her family.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Magic Underwear posted:

Gosh, if only there were places where people could gather for celebrations and a wide variety of foods were on offer, cooked to order, that could satisfy diverse palates and dietary restrictions. Sadly no such establishments exist and I have to estrange my wife from her family.

did you miss the part where the ILs bitch about the restaurant chosen because it doesn't cover their limited palate?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Cowslips Warren posted:

did you miss the part where the ILs bitch about the restaurant chosen because it doesn't cover their limited palate?

Oops yes. I'm not going to blame myself that much for not reading every word of a 10 paragraph essay about picky eaters though. I thought it was about chicken casserole not an entire restaurant menu being unacceptable to these absolute children.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH in leaving my wife after kids turn 18 because I was not sexually satisfied, even though she says she will change

I can't wait for the update in 6-10 months where homeboy finds the Hot Singles really are NOT waiting to meet him.

idk this one is just sad, it sounds like they haven't been communicating well for a very long time and separating is probably the best thing for both of them

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Way too many references to "exotic/foreign foods" for me to not suspect there's a racial aspect to this

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITAH for telling my husband I'd go somewhere if I wanted to and he asked me not to?

quote:

Husband mad because I said I would go somewhere even if he told me not to.

I was invited to a networking event and I kept going back and forth over whether to go or not. I eventually decided not to and then my husband said, "Great, I didn't want you to go anyways."

Then I said, "Well, I'm not going not because you didn't want me to go back because I didn't want to"

Then he asked, "Why would you say that.Have ever told you not to do anything?"

I answered, "No. But it sounds like you didn't want me to go after all. But if you ever not want me to go somewhere and I want to, I will."

He got very angry at me and because I didn't want it to get into a yelling match, I walked away. Now he is even more angry at me and says that I don't respect him if I'm going to do what I want if he doesn't want me to. AITAH?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

idk this one is just sad, it sounds like they haven't been communicating well for a very long time and separating is probably the best thing for both of them

true but it's also peppered with hints that he let himself go too, hence going to the gym NOW and not, you know, years ago.

99% of the time the married dude with kids whining about how getting enough sex isn't doing gently caress all to help his spouse.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I dunno, my "I can fix this" instincts are pretty strong here. The dude has at least some tiny sliver of self-awareness/conscience in making this post, a lot of times that's enough headway to help him realize that he was never effectively communicating with his partner. I'd for sure want to see them for a few sessions before talking through the divorce option.

He is for sure a loving idiot, but even idiots can make progress in therapy. Sometimes they even make progress quicker than non-idiots because they're not as prone to intellectualize every though that enters their minds.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 8, 2023

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cowslips Warren posted:

The stories of people standing up for their partner against lovely family warms my heart the most.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I dunno, my "I can fix this" instincts are pretty strong here. The dude has at least some tiny sliver of self-awareness/conscience in making this post, a lot of times that's enough headway to help him realize that he was never effectively communicating with his partner. I'd for sure want to see them for a few sessions before talking through the divorce option.

He is for sure a loving idiot, but even idiots can make progress in therapy. Sometimes they even make progress quicker than non-idiots because they're not as prone to intellectualize every though that enters their minds.

He doesn't want therapy with her, he posted how done he is with her.

AITA for sleeping separately from my Pregnant Wife & buying a white noise machine because of her Loud Snoring, then leaving the home when she told me to “gently caress Off” ?

quote:

My wife is 5 months pregnant. We are elated to be parents and have been preparing for our baby. Lately my wife has gained a healthy amount of weight and she has started snoring really, really loudly like a freight train, to the point I experience sleep deprivation.

I even woke her up sometimes during the night but all she does is get cranky and blames me for how tired she is as she’s pregnant. She has also gotten very body conscious due to the weight gain and it doesn’t help I don’t desire having sex with her. I mean I love her and we still hold hands and stuff, just that I feel uncomfortable with us being sexual.

I figured why not sleep in my office? We have a spare mattress and I usually work there and have started sleeping there. The office and our bedroom share a wall and I still hear her snoring because it’s so loving loud, to the point I bought a white noise machine. Her snoring also turns me off sexually so it’s part of the reason I don’t desire her that way.

My wife has also gotten very moody and I understand that hormones are a part of it. We have bad days but yesterday night she had a complete meltdown over me sleeping separately and spending money on the white noise machine. We have a joint bank account and she noticed there was a significant purchase. She angrily confronted me and cried why am I not acting like a husband and treating her like she’s an inconvenience?

I told her, that I bought the machine and set up my sleeping space to accommodate both of us. She needs not be woken up and I can also sleep better. She said I was lying and that I think she’s unattractive, accusing me. I tried to reassure her but she was having none of it. She pushed and cornered me until I had to set her straight:

“Maybe if you didn’t snore like a truck driver I wouldn’t have had to do this. Plus you’re growing our baby so I can’t imagine having sex with you this time”

She completely ripped into me and screamed her head off. She cussed me out “gently caress off” so I hosed off and went to my brother’s place. She had been calling and pleading for me to come home but I didn’t take her calls.

I texted her “Until you can manage your constant meltdowns I am not coming home. I managed your food cravings, made you feel at ease by removing myself from our bedroom only to get cussed out. You have disrespected me and it was one of my dealbreakers you forgot. Call your mother to help out. I can’t support you when you’re acting like a brat. You’ve got enough personalities to keep me occupied full time.”

AITA?

IMPORTANT EDIT: I can tolerate anything as long as it’s not verbal attacks and F bombs. I made it VERY VERY clear to my wife when we were dating that I would never tolerate a partner cussing me out. It’s the greatest form of disrespect for me and a dealbreaker. She knew it, and the fact that I once broke up with my ex because of it.

We have been to a doctor and she said it’s normal for a pregnant woman to snore. She has suggested a few things and exercises but she hardly does anything about it. Rest assured she told us this is only temporary.

AITA For putting a "vortex" in our restaurant?

quote:

I (28 year old male) Work with my Girlfriend (28 year old female) work together at a restaurant. The place isn't hugely popular, but we live in a small town, so there are a lot of locals who enjoy our food. My girlfriend has recently been going down a rabbit hole of ghost/supernatural related content, like podcasts and YouTube videos. She's always been a bit spiritual, and I don't mind that at all. Unfortunately, she seems more paranoid about this than passionate, which is why I'm concerned. She's been avoiding anything even remotely related to evil spirits or ghosts in general, and she's been keeping all kinds of rocks and salt and herbs to prevent any "evil" from entering the house. While I've been a bit concerned, I haven't been mad at her for it, since it didn't affect our daily lives too much. However, things went downhill. Over the weekend, I decided to go to the restaurant to do some interior design, since she'd been complaining about the place being too boring.

I put up some mirrors, put some lights outside on the patio, and some LED lights for the bar. I called her to come down to the restaurant, hoping to surprise her with the new and improved interior. At first, she looked really excited to see the place so decorated, then her face fell. She looked over at me and started yelling at me about how I'd put the mirrors facing each other, and how that created a vortex or something. She was screaming about how ghosts are probably already haunting the place. She looked like she was on the verge of tears. I tried to comfort her, but she stormed out of the place, sprinting for her car to drive back to our house. I felt bad, and took the mirrors down from the wall. She was very quiet the next few days, until she eventually started talking to me again like nothing happened. I feel like I need to confront her about this, but I'm not sure how, or if I'm even qualified to do it without just being a douche. So, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay this time I'm immediately advocating for an expedited breakup.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hell yeah, there's the spooky month content I crave :getin:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Modal Auxiliary posted:

seems dangerous

what if she thinks ghosts are dragging him away from her and starts trying to do exorcisms

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I've seen enough horror movies to know she is totally calm about the mirrors now because the swap was successful and now the doppleganger is in the real world and his gf is trapped in the mirrorworld.

edit: has there ever been a movie like that where the main character/the love interest who didn't get swapped, finds out about the swap, and is totally fine with it because the doppleganger is much nicer? Tales of the Crypt had to have done one of those.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 8, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've seen enough horror movies to know she is totally calm about the mirrors now because the swap was successful and now the doppleganger is in the real world and his gf is trapped in the mirrorworld.

Sounds like a win/win. He doesn't have to listen to complaints about mirrors, and it turns out her hair looks cuter parted on the other side anyhow.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Put up some ghost decorations and tell your girlfriend that she was right, ghosts are in the restaurant! Then use your home made (cardboard) proton pack to bust those ghosts

E: ideally you get a couple of friends in proton packs too, really commit to the bit

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 8, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hell yeah, there's the spooky month content I crave :getin:

Literally halfway through I was thinking "how on Earth does this person survive spooky season?" and then I got to the meat of the post and :lol:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Cowslips Warren posted:

edit: has there ever been a movie like that where the main character/the love interest who didn't get swapped, finds out about the swap, and is totally fine with it because the doppleganger is much nicer? Tales of the Crypt had to have done one of those.

My (26M) girlfriend (???F) recently started sleeping with her eyes open and wont stop talking about "the ritual", otherwise perfect. Should I confront her?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for sleeping separately from my Pregnant Wife & buying a white noise machine because of her Loud Snoring, then leaving the home when she told me to “gently caress Off” ?

1) buy some earplugs

2) stuff all of them down your throat until they fully obstruct your airway

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Magic Underwear posted:

Oops yes. I'm not going to blame myself that much for not reading every word of a 10 paragraph essay about picky eaters though. I thought it was about chicken casserole not an entire restaurant menu being unacceptable to these absolute children.

I know it sounds crazy but the thread can be even more fun when you read the stories.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for saying something crass to my mother in law

quote:

My husband (26m) and I (25f) are newlyweds, married in early September. I may have got off on the wrong foot with my mother in law in a moment of weakness and I’d love to hear honest opinions.

My mother in law is very very close to my husband. Her husband passed 10 years ago, and she and my husband have a very close bond. It’s usually fine, she’s a good person, but sometimes it’s just a lot. They talk on the phone at least once a day maybe twice, and we live in the same city as her, so we see her often.

Her phone calls continued even on our honeymoon in Hawaii last month. She’d call to ask how things are going, or to mention some meaningless detail that happened with the family or neighborhood or something.

One morning on our honeymoon she called while we were being intimate. I told my husband, don’t dare answer that. He didn’t. She called back again, and again. It was distracting me from my “finish line” and I was beyond annoyed.

The fourth time she called, I grabbed the phone, and answered it. I was on top of my husband, and frustrated and probably not in my right mind. I just said, “what is it Kris, is it important?” She started to talk about something to do with the mail, and asked if she was interrupting anything. I said (and this is the part I regret), “we’re loving, he’ll call you back.

AITA? She has been cold to me since. How out of line was I on a scale from 1-10?

AITA for getting my friend fired over a misunderstanding?

quote:

My (26M) friend (26M) who I’m gonna call Roy, and I worked at the same company, and we were both up for a promotion. The competition was tough, and I knew that it would be challenging to secure the promotion.

One day, I overheard a conversation between Roy and another coworker, where he mentioned something about finding a new job. Without fully understanding the context, I jumped to the conclusion that Roy was planning to leave the company regardless of the promotion outcome.

Seeing this as an opportunity to eliminate competition, I went to our boss and hinted at Roy's potential job hunt. I wanted to create doubt about Roy's commitment to the company, thinking it would improve my chances of getting the promotion.

Unfortunately, my boss took my concerns seriously and decided to confront Roy. Roy was shocked and denied any intention of leaving the company, but my boss was convinced that he was being dishonest. Consequently, Roy was let go from his job.

Afterward, I found out from the coworker Roy was talking to that I had completely misunderstood Roy's conversation. He had been discussing potential career opportunities as a backup plan, not as a confirmation of his intention to leave.

I felt like an absolute idiot when I realized the mistake I had made. I had cost Roy his job based on a misinterpretation and my selfish desire to secure the promotion.

I tried to apologize, but the damage was already done. Our friendship was shattered, and Roy was having to look at one of his back up career plans. AITA??

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Cowslips Warren posted:

This theme shows up in a few Phil K. Dick short stories. I think there's one that's almost literally like your premise, though I can't recall the title.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

haveblue posted:

1) buy some earplugs

2) stuff all of them down your throat until they fully obstruct your airway

I see that this goon hasn't slept next to an actual heavy snorer.
These aren't some cute noises she is making.
The earplugs are completely useless, when your spouse reaches the volume levels of a Humpback Whale.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

One of the Goosebumps books ends with the kid leaving his little sister in the shadow realm because she's so annoying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh jay posted:

One of the Goosebumps books ends with the kid leaving his little sister in the shadow realm because she's so annoying.

Cursed to play a children's card game for all eternity

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's not a horror movie but I believe The One I Love 2014 fits this description somewhat.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for saying something crass to my mother in law

Roy seems better off without this "friend"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My friend, who I backstabbed without hesitation

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Issaries posted:

I see that this goon hasn't slept next to an actual heavy snorer.
These aren't some cute noises she is making.
The earplugs are completely useless, when your spouse reaches the volume levels of a Humpback Whale.

"also I think you're loving gross while you're fat and pregnant and I can't get a boner if you snore" <this is why he needs to swallow the earplugs

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I threw my friend under the bus, does that make me a big fat jerk? I feel like maybe not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Benagain posted:

My friend, who I backstabbed without hesitation

I'm imagining Randall the tattletale from Recess in business casual skulking over to the boss's office to tug at the hem of his pants and whisper about other employees in the way of his teacher's pet position.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why doesn’t my friend understand that it was rear end in a top hat business and not rear end in a top hat pleasure?

Not that kind of rear end in a top hat pleasure.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

Evil Cartman was really nice to everyone in South Park, they wanted to keep him and let normal Cartman leave.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Idgi