Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Corb3t posted:

Alright Ubiquiti nerds, I have friend who has weird issues with his Unifi setup - essentially, logging into a smart TV app using a phone on the same network never works. This feature is often used in apps like HBO Max, Youtube TV on tvOS and Android TV smart apps.

I also noticed while I was there that Chromecasting and Airplay is super finicky, so there must be some weird setting he needs to change.

What Unifi setting does he need to dig into to get this stuff fixed? I think he has an EdgeRouter and various APs.

something in here is incompatible with the smart tv most likely

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Multicast enhancement I believe is what you're looking for.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If there are multiple vlans at play an mdns repeater is needed. If they’re on the same underlying network something is blocking multicast packets.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I just set up pihole running on an old laptop running Ubuntu and now I can't remote into my synology NAS using teleport anymore. Pihole seems to be blocking this, any idea on how to allow it?

I think this got buried with other discussions. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

Open up your pihole website. Go to the query log. Try and do what is being blocked. Refresh the query log right after and see what is blocked. White list what is blocked.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Arson Daily posted:

If your router isn’t doing local device resolution on top of the pihole doing remote resolution, that could cause it. A lot of NAS or appliance devices will use special URL’s that they announce via mDNS or dhcp.

Configuring that depends heavily on the router though.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'll give that a try thanks!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

jesus christ TIL netgear is selling their 802.11be already as a 3pack for $2300 gently caress me

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Shugojin posted:

jesus christ TIL netgear is selling their 802.11be already as a 3pack for $2300 gently caress me

I’m still over here rocking 802.11ac. I’ll probably only upgrade once my current Orbi poo poo breaks since it’s mostly the mobile devices on WiFi.

The two office desk docks, AppleTV, and Xbox all live on hard wire connections.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm posting here because I'd really like to get away with a single wireless access point, although if the answer is "lol" then I'll give up and figure out something else.

I want to regularly share a small number of large (50MB+) files with 50+ people in a room where the on-site wifi is 2.4 GHz only. As you can imagine, it doesn't loving work right now. The reasons for the 2.4 GHz-only situation is politics between a university and its attached medical center, which have different IT departments. University people can and do get booked in medical center rooms, but university people are only allowed to use the 2.4GHz wifi while medical center people have a high-quality 5GHz network available.

What kind of many-client throughput am I likely to get off of a single high-quality WAP, and attached server doing DNS / DHCP / file serving? I can napkin math off of rated maxes, but those are unrealistic as hell. This is all direct line of sight within a single room.

This seems like a killer usage case for 802.11ad, but that doesn't really exist in clients i guess. Oh, the clients are 80% M1 Macbook Airs, 20% Dell XPS 13s.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I can pull ~500mb/s off my Unifi APs on 5ghz/80mhz with line of sight. Obviously that's shared between everyone, but a 50mB file would take less than a second with that.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I've been able to get 700Mb/s with a Cisco WiFi 5 AP using a single 2x2 client. There are newer models with 8x8 on 5G - the 9130AX for WiFi 6 and 9136AX for 6E. I haven't tested them for bandwidth with multiple clients at once but it seems reasonable to expect that you could get over half of the 5Gb/s wired link in one direction, especially if you're also using 6GHz.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm posting here because I'd really like to get away with a single wireless access point, although if the answer is "lol" then I'll give up and figure out something else.

I want to regularly share a small number of large (50MB+) files with 50+ people in a room where the on-site wifi is 2.4 GHz only. As you can imagine, it doesn't loving work right now. The reasons for the 2.4 GHz-only situation is politics between a university and its attached medical center, which have different IT departments. University people can and do get booked in medical center rooms, but university people are only allowed to use the 2.4GHz wifi while medical center people have a high-quality 5GHz network available.

What kind of many-client throughput am I likely to get off of a single high-quality WAP, and attached server doing DNS / DHCP / file serving? I can napkin math off of rated maxes, but those are unrealistic as hell. This is all direct line of sight within a single room.

This seems like a killer usage case for 802.11ad, but that doesn't really exist in clients i guess. Oh, the clients are 80% M1 Macbook Airs, 20% Dell XPS 13s.

unless you’re the only 2.4 network in the area the throughput is gonna be garbage, and even if you are, with 50 clients that’s gonna be rough

what on earth possible reason could they have for not allowing 5ghz? hell if it’s done properly with VLANs on the admin side it wouldn’t even add frequency clutter

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

e.pilot posted:

unless you’re the only 2.4 network in the area the throughput is gonna be garbage, and even if you are, with 50 clients that’s gonna be rough

what on earth possible reason could they have for not allowing 5ghz? hell if it’s done properly with VLANs on the admin side it wouldn’t even add frequency clutter

Oh, I'm gonna run a 5ghz network if I do this small offline network. It's just that medical center IT doesn't particularly care about servicing university clients well, but is doing the grudging minimum. It sucks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If it's all in the same room any mid range 5ghz wifi6 AP will work just fine.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
It appears our ER-X is going to be biting the dust soon, been having quite a few routing issues that are fixed with a reboot. It's almost 9 years old so got a good run out of it. I have 2 Unifi APs but we're not wedded to the Ubiquiti line up. Nothing big in regards to networking but what would be a good upgrade or similar setup?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
So I’m just going to bust up in here with some love for mikrotik hardware. It’s soho priced hardware with enterprise level capabilities and it’s pretty much replaced the interior of my home network piece by piece and I didn’t just pick mikrotik, it just happened time and time again to be the only thing that met my requirements at a reasonable price.

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a piece of home grade networking hardware that didn’t need some custom firmware until I got these things and out of the box I only utilize like a fraction of what these things can do.

If you’re not running mikrotik at home your kid will get bullied at school if word gets out.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I've been using a CRS326-24G-2S+IN in a wall box as my home network core for the past 2 1/2 years without any trouble. It's a "switch" because of the port count but all the router features are there; I have a relatively simple setup just providing a DNS server, DHCP server, and a gateway to guest/IoT VLANs. If they ever release a 2.5G or faster version for not too much more I'd be right there.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 11, 2023

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd make sure that both the university and medical center IT don't have acceptable use policies that would make it a problem if you do this. Most AP vendors have tools built into their management software that will detect and alert on rogue access points, and some can even locate them within a building pretty well.

Honestly, you might be better served by a handful of cheap thumb drives, assuming you're just distributing the files to the attendees.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

calandryll posted:

It appears our ER-X is going to be biting the dust soon, been having quite a few routing issues that are fixed with a reboot. It's almost 9 years old so got a good run out of it. I have 2 Unifi APs but we're not wedded to the Ubiquiti line up. Nothing big in regards to networking but what would be a good upgrade or similar setup?

Grab a cheap device and slap pfsense on it. I've been using a pfsense router with a unifi AP for 3 years with no issues.

I also actually found pfsense easier to navigate and do things in vs the ER-X I used to have.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Grab a cheap device and slap pfsense on it. I've been using a pfsense router with a unifi AP for 3 years with no issues.

I also actually found pfsense easier to navigate and do things in vs the ER-X I used to have.

This but I’d advocate for OPNsense. That’s purely on the grounds that pfSense’s parent company has done some dodgy poo poo over the last few years (most recent was WireGuard mess). Even if some of it wasn’t their fault, their response didn’t leave me believing they acted in good faith.

Same recommendation though - you can slap it in some hardware. Throw it on a ZimaBoard, VNOPN, or Protectli appliance.

I also like the MikroTik recommendation. Can’t go wrong there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of OPNsense, I finally got fed up with my Omada ER605 router and the random issues I was having with it, and swapped it for a Protectli Vault with OPNsense. It works great with my EAP650 waps and has been fairly easy to get up and going, though it is clearly intended for someone with more networking experience than I have.

One thing I haven't managed to figure out is this. I have an Unraid server with a couple of docker apps that I have set up through reverse proxy. I was able to get the ports forwarded and everything is accessible like it should be from external networks. Internally though I have to use the IP address to hit those sites, using the website name redirects it to the OPNsense box. I've never had to deal with NAT reflection or hairpinning on my older routers, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with that, but I'm not sure how to correctly set that up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Internet Old One posted:

So I’m just going to bust up in here with some love for mikrotik hardware. It’s soho priced hardware with enterprise level capabilities and it’s pretty much replaced the interior of my home network piece by piece and I didn’t just pick mikrotik, it just happened time and time again to be the only thing that met my requirements at a reasonable price.

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a piece of home grade networking hardware that didn’t need some custom firmware until I got these things and out of the box I only utilize like a fraction of what these things can do.

If you’re not running mikrotik at home your kid will get bullied at school if word gets out.

Yeah I'm on a RB4011 for routing stuff. It's only a 1Gbps router but a) I don't have fiber for a couple months yet and b) I don't think I'll bother with >1 gig (to be very honest I would only notice the difference between 100Mbps and 1Gbps on large downloads). Wireless is done by UniFi running on a NUC to control a Ubiquiti AP.

The MikroTik hardware is nice but they're slow to adopt things for wireless APs and I have also heard it can be pretty flakey, so you end up wanting something else there

e: it also kinda owns that the backup is as simple as just doing export on the cli and then you have all the cli commands to put your poo poo back later. and the cli is organized exactly the same way as the gui's folders

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 11, 2023

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is there a general recommendation for a non poo poo WiFi router these days?
Need to replace the lovely one that our ISP gave us, it's reached the point where the internet service is cutting out fairly regularly and the thing keeps needing to be reset to bring it back.

At my last place a housemate set us up with Google nest WiFi hubs, which might be easiest. Are they a decent option, or stupidly overpriced?
Only real requirement is high speed (we have good fiber net speeds).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I have a similar question to El Grillo but just a regular router in general please. My ISP has given me an exterior IP address banned from a bunch of big websites, anything needing a secure login won't let me past the captchas, and they won't release it and give me a new one. Is there a newer recommendation than the op for something suitable for a small house? The alternative would be just buying a couple of years of NordVPN or something I guess but I'm so tired of endless subscriptions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

El Grillo posted:

Need to replace the lovely one that our ISP gave us, it's reached the point where the internet service is cutting out fairly regularly and the thing keeps needing to be reset to bring it back.

At my last place a housemate set us up with Google nest WiFi hubs, which might be easiest. Are they a decent option, or stupidly overpriced?

The archer brand routers seem to be consistently recommended and the ones I've had have been nothing but great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

Searching around I’ve decided to go with mikrotik as the main router and access point brand for the house. But a goon has generously offered his two netgear r7000s with openwrt for shipping so those are indoor ap’s and the router will be microtik with all the other network stuff in the basement (or is the attic better?). Thinking a hEX PoE router https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

As a result of my decommissioning a ridiculously designed intercom/doorbell system installed by the previous owner of my house, I now have a single gang box with a cat6 cable terminating in it at about eyeball height on a prominent wall in my kitchen. Previously it held a small display to view who was at the front door and unlock it. It runs direct to my home networking "rack" so providing it with POE would be trivial, but it isn't near a power outlet (or any surfaces or shelves).

I've been googling around but I haven't found any decent solutions or ideas for this spot. The best I can come up with is a small information display of some kind, or maybe something to show some big buttons for HomeKit stuff I have going on around the house, but even in that space I haven't found many specific products to consider. It'd be nice to show who is at my doorbell (Reolink running as a homekit doorbell through Scrypted) but I have no idea how possible that is.

I've already got a wired wifi access point in the same room so no need for that sort of thing. Feels like a waste to just cover up high quality ethernet cable with a blank...

Any ideas?

Was it this?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the responses

Nest WiFi 6 Pro is £189.99
379.99 for three but I don't need more than two.

Anyway screw spending that much to just get ok functioning internet in our relatively small home (other options seem similarly priced).

I've gone for a £58.99 deal on a Google nest WiFi which appears to be their gen 2 version from 2019. Got a free Anker speaker with it too. Old means cheap and I expect I'll have to buy another nest access point to cover the back yard which is fine.
Guess we'll find out soon where I've cheaped out too much!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Pierson posted:

I have a similar question to El Grillo but just a regular router in general please. My ISP has given me an exterior IP address banned from a bunch of big websites, anything needing a secure login won't let me past the captchas, and they won't release it and give me a new one. Is there a newer recommendation than the op for something suitable for a small house? The alternative would be just buying a couple of years of NordVPN or something I guess but I'm so tired of endless subscriptions.

Unless you’re paying extra, ISPs rarely give you a static.

Just unplug your modem for at least a solid day and you’ll probably get a new lease

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pierson posted:

plug the modem into something other than the router (anything with ethernet that’s able to get a DHCP address) unplug the modem power and plug it back in, it will get assigned a new IP address since a new device is plugged in, then repeat with it plugged back in into your router

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
I don't understand SFP+ modules.

According to my ISP i need :
- 10G SFP+ BIDI LR, 10 km, TX1270/RX1330 nm, LC-Simplex, Singlemode
I bough:
- BlueOptics BO55J27640D Bidi SFP+ Transceiver 10GBASE-BX-U 40KM

Am I doomed because it's 40km instead of 10?
There's a sticker "Ruijie compatible" in the pack of the optics - will it run in my intel-based pci-e card?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Warthog posted:

I don't understand SFP+ modules.

According to my ISP i need :
- 10G SFP+ BIDI LR, 10 km, TX1270/RX1330 nm, LC-Simplex, Singlemode
I bough:
- BlueOptics BO55J27640D Bidi SFP+ Transceiver 10GBASE-BX-U 40KM

Am I doomed because it's 40km instead of 10?
There's a sticker "Ruijie compatible" in the pack of the optics - will it run in my intel-based pci-e card?

I looked up the part number you posted and I think it will work. The most important part is the wavelengths for TX and RX which match with the ISP spec TX1270nm/RX1330nm. The fact that it's a "40km" optic means it might transmit at a higher power level than a "10km" one, but in practice that is unlikely to cause a problem except on relatively short fiber paths. Your ISP can look at the receive power on their end once the link is up and tell you if it's too hot.

Some Intel-branded cards are picky about optics and if it doesn't work there is a driver parameter you can enable on the Linux ixgbe module that overrides the third party module block, or you can get a third party optic that's been flashed to pretend it's an Intel branded SFP+ module. Try it and see if the card recognizes it.

Also congrats on your 10G fiber connection. Baller.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 14, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Derp. Quote != edit

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Thanks! I really like init7 - I've been using their 1G fiber for years without a hic-up and now that I'm moving flats I'm switching to 10G :-D

Time to slowly upgrade my switches...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I bought one of those insanely cheap 4x2.5 and 2xSFP+ 10G switches on Amazon for $48 and have been pleasantly surprised by it so far. No stability issues, speeds seem in the realm of reason for both the RJ45 and SFP+ cages. It's the same box as the Vimin in the STH cheap 2.5GbE switch video but mine is branded with the illustrious and well known brand of, uh, "ineRon".

You better believe I am taking advantage of these features:

Been nice pushing files to the NAS at greater than gigabit speeds, although I'll be honest, I mostly got it so that the integrated 2.5G NICs in all of my boxes stopped going to WASTE. It seems to work fine with both Realtek and Intel NICs, and the generic SFP+ optics I had around. Haven't tried a DAC cable yet, there apparently might be an issue with them. The most annoying part of the box is they felt the need to put an insanely bright blinking green activity LED in the middle of the PCB, so I had to take it apart and just to put a tiny piece of electrical tape over it, lol.

Ok, cya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdLWAwxU0ds

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 14, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

jokes posted:

The archer brand routers seem to be consistently recommended and the ones I've had have been nothing but great.

My crappy old router is dying. I just wasted 2.5 hours trying to get a new trendnet router that I bought a couple years back running. Didn't work at all lmao. What a piece of poo poo! Anyway, I bought an archer. God willing it'll actually connect to the internet

gently caress routers and especially gently caress setting them up

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Lol centurylink says that the modem that they provided when I got the service years ago is "incompatible with my line" and that's what's causing the slow speeds. What the hell. It has worked for years. I don't comprehend what changes on the backend could render it incompatible in a way that gives slow speeds but still connects

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vim Fuego posted:

Lol centurylink says that the modem that they provided when I got the service years ago is "incompatible with my line" and that's what's causing the slow speeds. What the hell. It has worked for years. I don't comprehend what changes on the backend could render it incompatible in a way that gives slow speeds but still connects

Cable modems bind to a number of channels for their transmit and receive. Older modems couldn't bind to as many and the protocols have changed. A DOCSIS 2 modem for example would maybe be okay to 40 megabits but for higher tier service you want DOCSIS 3.1 or 4.0 (or whatever they're up to now). I ran my old Motorola SB 6120 for a long rear end time despite the notifications that it was old and wouldn't get updates and wouldn't be fast but it was fine for the < 100 Mbit I was using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

They could be lying to you and blaming the modem on a bad connection, but it could also be the modem if it's old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah. I can't tell if they are lying. The "modem" is an actiontec 3000a. It is apparently kind of old. I put "modem" in quotes because from what I have read, the centurylink fiber connections just need something that can 1. log in to PPOE and 2. Operate in bridge mode.

Assuming there's no physical problem with the line that is actually causing the slow connection, then the problem is likely with the actiontec. I've been reading about replacing it.

Apparently I can just use a new router and get rid of the actiontec entirely. But the new router has to support bridge mode so that I can just hook it directly to the ethernet cable coming off the fiber signal amplifier box After reading I realize the is the Optical Network Terminal, or ONT.

Last night I bought a TPLINK AX-3000/Archer AX-55. I set it up this morning before Centurylink saw fit to disclose to me that the actiontec was outdated and causing the slow connection.

I have been looking for about 30 minutes and it looks like the TPLINK AX-3000/Archer AX-55 does NOT support bridge mode in the way that would allow me to use it in place of the Actiontec. https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/wrv33w/is_there_a_way_to_get_wds_on_a_tplink_ax3000/

So I guess I need to buy a new machine. But I'm not going to buy it direct from Centurylink. Centurylink has a list of modems that they claim will work, but none appear to be for sale from reputable retailers.

Does it sound right that I just need to grab a new router that does PPOE and also supports Bridge mode? If so, does anyone recommend a particular model?

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 15, 2023