Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

We did get that episode about the 2 scientists, the one of which wanted so bad to be as cool as SG-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

kdrudy posted:

We did get that episode about the 2 scientists, the one of which wanted so bad to be as cool as SG-1.

That episode had a sequel too

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A Stargate FPS/RPG/ImSim/XCOM-like. Set some time midway through the shows run (pre-Prometheus), you're stationed on Delta Site, a mostly autonomous SGC spinoff located underground on an atmosphereless moon orbiting a gas giant in another solar system. The game is split between XCOM-style base building and recruit management when you're at the Delta Site, with expeditions being conducted by your player character and your team, with fleshed out story characters joining up over the course of the game supplemented by procedurally generated humans recruits and applicants from Earth. Missions come from SGC and through discoveries made through exploration, with progress gated by access to gate addresses. Destinations are semi-open environments with side quests similar to what you'd find in Mass Effect or Deus Ex's hubs. In addition to managing your own team, you also send out other teams for trade, research, peacekeeping. Finding new technology or making new alliances gets you more budget, but with the usual sci-fi ethical quandaries; what if you steal tech from a society that needs it, what if you make an alliance with a bunch of racial supremacists. Moment-to-moment first person gameplay is systemic, with a focus on a smaller set of tools that can be used in creative ways instead of lootshoot junk.

It's a silly fantasy that's been bouncing around in my head for a long time, but I've been thinking about it more as I've been playing Starfield. The neat thing about Stargate's lore/universe is that it makes it easy to restrict scope to nicely manageable level. You're not given a spaceship that can theoretically go anywhere and land anywhere on a planet, but a limited pool of gate addresses that lead to specific locations. There's not as much need to lean on procedural generation, destinations can be smaller and dense instead of sprawling landscapes of absolutely nothing interesting. Would still be a very expensive game so given MGM's current state it doesn't seem likely anything like this would ever be made. Would be cool tho.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 8, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

kdrudy posted:

is that the one where carter gets a protege and takes her to that planet and wisps attack and they argue over if it was because the scientists were torturing one or if its because they passed the pole of the planet it orbits?

SCheeseman posted:

cool game idea

maybe you win a few bill in the lotto and get it made. if i win a few bill in the lotto ide make new might and magic rpgs

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 8, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

snergle posted:

is that the one where carter gets a protege and takes her to that planet and wisps attack and they argue over if it was because the scientists were torturing one or if its because they passed the pole of the planet it orbits?

Nope, these two

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

maybe you win a few bill in the lotto and get it made. if i win a few bill in the lotto ide make new might and magic rpgs

Close. And you can see in that episode how the show is warming up to the idea of having the focus on people other than SG-1.

Also, that would be an AWESOME game. I'd buy and play it!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
A Deus Ex style system where you could focus on making your team a shooty one, a techy one, or a talky one would be pretty cool.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I really like this, but it's an XCOM/Xenonauts styled thing. Same premise but more focus on the basebuilding and deployment

kdrudy posted:

Nope, these two

I absolutely love John Billingsly in this and it's contemporaneous with his Trek appearance, too, which just makes the whole character a cherry on the top lol

Also I really loved him in Man From Earth

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I really like this, but it's an XCOM/Xenonauts styled thing. Same premise but more focus on the basebuilding and deployment

I absolutely love John Billingsly in this and it's contemporaneous with his Trek appearance, too, which just makes the whole character a cherry on the top lol

Ohhh Dr Phlox. That's where I remembered him from

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

*thump*, *thump*, *th-thump*

"Okay, that's it for the inbound! Who had 4 into the iris on the deadpool this time around?"

I don't really care about the language thing, none of the mythology-related lore makes any sense at all, but this irrationally bugs me. The iris is the most crucial thing of gate travel safety, and it's wildly inconsistent in how it is portrayed. Of course the real answer is that no one actually wants to invest screen time for them to use the widget every single time there's a dramatic jump to safety to be made, but still.

But on the other hand, we got a cool scene for Rene Auberjonois, so I guess it all evens out.

alexandriao posted:

The Man from Earth is an incredible feel-good movie :allears:

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 8, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

alexandriao posted:

I feel that what most of the modern Trek games miss is the boots on the ground stuff, instead either going flight sim, action or strategy. In a lot of ways those earlier point and click adventures did a better job of replicating the diplomacy and environmental problem solving that usually happens in these kinds of shows, which makes a Deus Ex style approach appropriate IMO.

Might also be that I love Deus Ex and I want more games like it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think a really nice point and click adventure with branching narratives in the vein of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis would make a great Stargate game.

Rappaport posted:

I don't really care about the language thing, none of the mythology-related lore makes any sense at all, but this irrationally bugs me. The iris is the most crucial thing of gate travel safety, and it's wildly inconsistent in how it is portrayed. Of course the real answer is that no one actually wants to invest screen time for them to use the widget every single time there's a dramatic jump to safety to be made, but still.

I always thought it was weird that it wasn't protocol for the iris to be closed by default.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

itry posted:

I always thought it was weird that it wasn't protocol for the iris to be closed by default.

I think it is, unless they’re dialing out in which case it doesn’t do anything.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it is, unless they’re dialing out in which case it doesn’t do anything.

I think I remember Hammond telling whoever's at the controls to close down the iris on an unexpected incoming wormhole quite often. Also lots of shots of the gate idling with the iris open.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

I think a really nice point and click adventure with branching narratives in the vein of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis would make a great Stargate game.

Wouldn't the incoming wormhole vaporize the iris? You can only close the iris after the wormhole's established?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

Wouldn't the incoming wormhole vaporize the iris? You can only close the iris after the wormhole's established?

You'd think so, but I'm sure there were occasions where they kept it closed. Like that one time they were besieged by... I think it was Anubis? There are probably more examples.

I'm not imagining this :ohdear:

Edit: Also sometimes I think after season 4 they started making the irises out of the same material the stargate was made out of.

itry fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 8, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I bet it was a sticking point between the show's military advisor (keep it closed, idiots) and producers (if it's always closed then it doesn't look like the stargate we paid for, idiot)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The point of burying the gate is that the "whoosh" can't happen, isn't it? Sokar did a thing with a particle accelerator, but the iris is meant to keep folks out.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sometimes burying works like that, but sometimes Teal'c just comes in with a gas mask and a pickaxe.

Sentient Data posted:

I bet it was a sticking point between the show's military advisor (keep it closed, idiots) and producers (if it's always closed then it doesn't look like the stargate we paid for, idiot)

They had military advisors? :imunfunny:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was thinking of that episode too, but I can't remember what the technobabble was that the whoosh formed. The meteorite did something something?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

The iris prevents the formation of the unstable vortex whoosh thing.

Rappaport posted:

The point of burying the gate is that the "whoosh" can't happen, isn't it? Sokar did a thing with a particle accelerator, but the iris is meant to keep folks out.

I think buried gates aren't able to even accept a connection, IIRC.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just another inconsistency out of many. No big deal. Nothing a bit of :techno: won't solve.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm pretty sure the :techno: was that the iris was at a super precise position which let things just barely begin to materialize but instantly get telefragged

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

I'm pretty sure the :techno: was that the iris was at a super precise position which let things just barely begin to materialize but instantly get telefragged

This is it. If something is penetrating the hole a connection can't be made, if something is just barely touching the hole, the stargate can still cum.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

But on the other hand, we got a cool scene for Rene Auberjonois, so I guess it all evens out.

When is it inconsistent? It's incredibly consistent, SG-1 is one of the most technobabble-consistent scifi series out there. For example:

Rappaport posted:

I was thinking of that episode too, but I can't remember what the technobabble was that the whoosh formed. The meteorite did something something?

The gate was still active when it was buried, allowing a layer of rock to cover the horizon like an iris but not blocking the wormhole from forming outright. Carter used a particle accelerator to vaporize a small pocket of that rock enough to allow the unstable vortex ("kawoosh") to form on the next dial-in, carving out the cavern that Teal'c then entered and began tunneling into the surface with his bottled oxygen supply.

The show isn't inconsistent, y'all's memories are. I hesistate to even call it "technobabble" because that implies it's all just made up on the fly, wormhole physics and gate functions are usually airtight once they're established.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

itry posted:

Sometimes burying works like that, but sometimes Teal'c just comes in with a gas mask and a pickaxe.

Ok so:

A gate can only be connected to if the DHD is in range. The earth gate was buried away from the DHD. Actually I suspect the DHD was connected to the second earth gate, and there wasn't another DHD..

The second earth gate was notably right next to it's DHD, but they just couldn't quite get at it.

A buried gate can connect if the DHD is close, and the woosh happens and carves through any surface there. However, if the material is soil or sand then that's probably going to fill up depending on how the material is packed

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

But the second gate was blocked most of the time, or else they never could have dialed home prior to this, it would have sent them there instead of the SGC. I'm fairly sure they explained what it is in that very ep if someone wants to check.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

itry posted:

I think I remember Hammond telling whoever's at the controls to close down the iris on an unexpected incoming wormhole quite often. Also lots of shots of the gate idling with the iris open.

Yeah, I can buy pretty much all of the other aspects of the gate being pretty consistent (especially by the standards of TV sci-fi shows), but keeping the iris open by default on the "enemies can deliver a planet-busting nuke directly to the middle of the US" device seems pretty silly. That thing should always be locked up tight unless they're dialing out or they get a confirmed code.

Also if I were SECAF I would have gotten that thing moved to like Diego Garcia or somewhere like that at the first opportunity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A gate doesn't need a DHD to connect an incoming wormhole, the wormhole provides the power. A connected DHD does give it priority if more than one gate is at that set of coordinates, however the Antarctic gate's DHD was damaged and nonfunctional from being frozen for millions of years. It was also buried in the ice for most of its existence; a fissure in the ice unburied it relatively recently. The Giza gate had a DHD until it was taken by German archaeologists in 1928.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

With the infighting and constant war it's surprising an iris didn't become a more common thing for the Go'auld as well. Also kind of lucky the only gate that came with a built in iris like thing was Atlantis and its gate shield.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Didn't Destiny also have one?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

McSpanky posted:

A gate doesn't need a DHD to connect an incoming wormhole, the wormhole provides the power. A connected DHD does give it priority if more than one gate is at that set of coordinates, however the Antarctic gate's DHD was damaged and nonfunctional from being frozen for millions of years. It was also buried in the ice for most of its existence; a fissure in the ice unburied it relatively recently. The Giza gate had a DHD until it was taken by German archaeologists in 1928.

Yea it seems like a DHD is basically just the controller with the software for the gate, which is why they were able to do weird things with the Earth gate like travel through that sun and nearly cause it to destroy itself, they could bypass the safeties without a DHD.

They made a wormhole with car batteries when they went to the past.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

kdrudy posted:

Yea it seems like a DHD is basically just the controller with the software for the gate, which is why they were able to do weird things with the Earth gate like travel through that sun and nearly cause it to destroy itself, they could bypass the safeties without a DHD.

They made a wormhole with car batteries when they went to the past.

For all the jokes about humans being creative psychos in Star Trek, they're even crazier in SG-1.

This child race found a Stargate, and used primitive electronics (gently caress there were probably some vacuum tubes in some of the equipment) to brute force establishing a wormhole. They traipse around the universe with little devices to disarm the shield on their gate - and even jokingly refer to them as 'Garage Door Openers'.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cthulu Carl posted:

For all the jokes about humans being creative psychos in Star Trek, they're even crazier in SG-1.

This child race found a Stargate, and used primitive electronics (gently caress there were probably some vacuum tubes in some of the equipment) to brute force establishing a wormhole. They traipse around the universe with little devices to disarm the shield on their gate - and even jokingly refer to them as 'Garage Door Openers'.

"Your gods are all lies, take these guns and kill them" really is a pretty good summation of SG-1 interstellar policy.

I also appreciate the pragmatism of "teleport nukes directly into enemy ships" being the starting point of human-wraith interaction.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That pissing off the Asgard tech operator because it's not in the approved uses of the teleporter will never not be funny.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I have some Joint Army Navy 12AT7 vacuum tubes from 1986 on my shelf, so there are almost certainly vacuum tubes in Cheyenne mountain through the 90s at least.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

itry posted:

You'd think so, but I'm sure there were occasions where they kept it closed. Like that one time they were besieged by... I think it was Anubis? There are probably more examples.

I'm not imagining this :ohdear:

Edit: Also sometimes I think after season 4 they started making the irises out of the same material the stargate was made out of.

sokkar besieges them and almost burned through it. they had it open for the first one and then closed it when there was no signature but he repeat dialed them a bunch and they left the iris closed. irc apothis did that to in like the 2nd or third episode but with soldiers instead of subatomic particles designed to melt t he shield. shortly after the sokkar thing they buffed the iris with t hat metal from the spirits episodes

itry posted:

they actually did the sokkar thing to that gate to slowly burn that room for tealc to do that. if you mean the episode where jack is stranded for about 9mo on that planet where naqudah meteors rain down every 100yrs

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 9, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kdrudy posted:

With the infighting and constant war it's surprising an iris didn't become a more common thing for the Go'auld as well. Also kind of lucky the only gate that came with a built in iris like thing was Atlantis and its gate shield.

It's been a long time since I watched SG-1, but wouldn't that partly be explainable because the Goa'uld steal technology and culture and everything else, and aren't very creative on their own? Like some of the system lords are more clever and planful than most, but maybe that little bit of creativity is what made them rise to the top of the power hierarchy in the first place?

I should really do a rewatch - it's been a long time.

E: fixed typo

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 9, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Iris is hard and expensive to setup. Just station some patient Jaffa nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's been a long time since I watched SG-1, but wouldn't that partly be explainable because the Goa'uld steal technology and culture and everything else, and aren't very creative on their own? Like some of the system lords are more clever and planful than most, but maybe that little bit of creativity is what made them rise to the top of the power hierarchy in the first place?

I should really do a rewatch - it's been a long time.

E: fixed typo

Yeah, I think it's a combination of this and their trademark arrogance -- the same reason they didn't start using projectile weapons or energy weapons modeled after the demonstrably more effective Earth firearms, which they are capable of making (the Intar training guns are basically that). The Goa'uld are extraordinarily conservative, they strongly tend to stick with what they know and barely ever innovate.

I'd wager Anubis only used a gate shield not because he got the idea from the SGC but from the Ancients, since his ascension would give him knowledge of their technology.