Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I bought MW5 on release and still haven't finished it. I'm hoping that Clans leak saves it for me. I just got so bored of shooting tanks and helicopters and my lance mates being so terrible. I didn't have friends who wanted to co-op so it became a slog for me

mw5:clans is gonna be a separate standalone game, fyi

they're making it in UE5 (mw5:mercs is in UE4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

biosterous posted:

mw5:clans is gonna be a separate standalone game, fyi

they're making it in UE5 (mw5:mercs is in UE4)

yeah that's why I'm hoping it'll retroactively redeem MW5 by taking its corpse and making something good out of it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MW5 is pretty ok but it needs mods to make mechbuilding not suck completely

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
With all the mods and the collection of scripted missions it's an enjoyable game, but the scripted stuff is still not really on the level of MW4's campaigns. It's best enjoyed either coop or as a "Gotta collect em all" Mech toybox type deal.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I know a new expac came out and mods are updating. so I may go back in with yaml and just run through all the story stuff

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I liked all the DLC story missions. The base campaign has exactly one memorable mission right at the end. The real fun is to download YAML and see what kind of ridiculous gimmick mech you can make.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've played MW5 quite a bit and enjoyed it coop with a friend. The allied AI is dumb as hell, but so is the enemy. It's fun just to kit out big stompy mechs and blow some stuff up. Well worth picking up on a sale.

Granted, I've started the single player campaign a few times and never finished it. It always lost me after a couple hours.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m a big fan of MW5 sans mods, but I play it pretty much exclusively in the context of co-op with friends.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m a big fan of MW5 sans mods, but I play it pretty much exclusively in the context of co-op with friends.

You can play modded MW5 with friends so long as everyone has the same mods as the host in the same load order.

I have a few hundred hours in MW5 now, with somewhere over 40 mods installed. It's pretty fun. Though I wish the game were better optimized; I still get performance issues running at 4K on an RTX 4090 and a 13600K with 32GB DDR5.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sharkopath posted:

The Clan spinoff being sold as entirely focused on hand crafted and complex missions is heartening to me, but also 5 player coop to match a clan star is a very funny thing i'm glad theyre doing.

It would be funny but impractical to incorporate a Trial system and every time you try to select a mission or decide who's in charge of the lobby or whatever another player can challenge you to a 1v1 instant action match to veto you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Faded Mars posted:

You can play modded MW5 with friends so long as everyone has the same mods as the host in the same load order.

I have a few hundred hours in MW5 now, with somewhere over 40 mods installed. It's pretty fun. Though I wish the game were better optimized; I still get performance issues running at 4K on an RTX 4090 and a 13600K with 32GB DDR5.

Oh no, I know. I just don’t really like any of the popular mods.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I only run the base YAML and a trainer so I can spam a 3x hvy rifle marauder and lol

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Owlbear Camus posted:

It would be funny but impractical to incorporate a Trial system and every time you try to select a mission or decide who's in charge of the lobby or whatever another player can challenge you to a 1v1 instant action match to veto you.

Batchall issued: paper, rock, scissors

With which do you defend your honor!?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Faded Mars posted:

Speaking of which, I plan on starting a modded playthrough with some friends and I was wondering if anyone knows if we had to have the exact same modlist, or can we have different non-gameplay altering mods like different UI mods? Also will they have to set all the mod settings to the same (like in Yet Another Weapon) or will it just automatically go with the host's settings?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/ArtofBattletech/status/1712083279438832012?t=f6aBL13XORJs_DCGFH-7dw&s=19

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, gently caress

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

gently caress man that sucks. I like Lamplighters too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm not terribly surprised Lamplighter's League is cratering like a meteor, but the knowledge that they actually pitched Battletech 2 and it was rejected is almost physically painful. Either way I'm incredibly sad for HBS.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gently caress that :mad:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kanos posted:

I'm not terribly surprised Lamplighter's League is cratering like a meteor, but the knowledge that they actually pitched Battletech 2 and it was rejected is almost physically painful. Either way I'm incredibly sad for HBS.

MechWarrior nostalgia is so powerful that MechWarrior Online has lasted *more than a decade* despite it being run by PGI. I'd imagine Battletech 2 would make a reliable amount of money!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pattonesque posted:

MechWarrior nostalgia is so powerful that MechWarrior Online has lasted *more than a decade* despite it being run by PGI. I'd imagine Battletech 2 would make a reliable amount of money!

Yeah but they'd have to pay part of that money to Microsoft so gently caress it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

:capitalism:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah but they'd have to pay part of that money to Microsoft so gently caress it.

I mean, depending on the terms of that arrangement, I could definitely see the slice of pie remaining after everyone else gets their share being so small that it's not something you could reliably support a development team on.

Sucks but also makes me glad that stuff like BTA exists.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

My condolences for everyone at HBS. I don't understand how PDX could buy HBS, who makes games with 3rd party IPs, then turns down them making another game based of 3rd party IP.

I'm picking up Lamplighter's League next paycheck, but anyone here try it yet?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Amechwarrior posted:

My condolences for everyone at HBS. I don't understand how PDX could buy HBS, who makes games with 3rd party IPs, then turns down them making another game based of 3rd party IP.

I'm picking up Lamplighter's League next paycheck, but anyone here try it yet?

It's on game pass and there's a demo so I'd give it a go with one of those avenues before plunking down the cash because it's quite divisive.

I've talked about it in the thread for it and I'd say it's alright to a low good at best, I think the reviews giving it a 6 out of 10 or 3 on a 5 point scale are pretty on the money (assuming actual full use of the scale where a 5 is still a playable alright game of course).

It's got a good tone, just imo, good presentation, really cool varied characters, good if relatively simple core turn based gameplay with some pretty nice unique gimmicks in the stress and undrawn hand mechanics and then some annoying flaws that could potentially drag the game down enough.

The UI has not enough info on some tooltips for stuff like enemy abilities or some of the perks/upgrades, the PC control scheme is awkward and it doesn't have enough environment variety for how long of a game it is (this is probably the biggest issue for me).

The real time stealth bits between the turn based fights can sometimes be rendered a bit difficult to do with enemy spawns and the random phenomena that can occur during the campaign but when it works it's quite fun whittling down a massive enemy encounter and then going loud and loving up the remainder.

I think some of that could have been addressed in a patch and it'd have been well on its way to being a downright good game without caveats. Unfortunately that's somewhat unlikely now.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Lamplighter's League thread in case anyone is intersted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't believe we could've gotten a second TBS game. Battletech's my favorite one in the genre by far now

Good luck HBS

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
just imagine a second take at the game and expansion on the various systems. plus just engine updates alone to make the whole experience smoother

my heart goes out to HBS it really seemed like they were on an upswing

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
poo poo news abt cool people. I bought their Indiana Jones game in solidarity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Gosh maybe there's reason that a strong, beloved IP can demand a substantial cut to license. And maybe if you don't have a strong IP that people will seek out of their own volition, you need to spend a similar amount in dev budget and advertising so that people don't say "Lamp League, wtf is that?"

And maybe think about releasing in the spring or something, rather than putting yourself up against the fall blockbusters.

armchairyoda posted:

poo poo news abt cool people. I bought their Indiana Jones game in solidarity.

Uh... at this point the only people this rewards are the guys who looked at a market failure and said "fire everyone". (And everyone in this case did not include themselves, the executives who made the top-level decision to be cheap about things.)

Like, buy it if the game seems like something you want! But it's not like doing so means ex-HBS staffers get anything.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
new battletech just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1SO9henGA

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Alternatively, Microsoft could just hire these guys and set up a studio. They do this regularly! They own the IP! These were successful - for video game projects very low cost - properties that went onto game pass!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

This follows in the fine tradition of Battledroids and I'm here for it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nice of them to use the Crescent Hawk engine

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This is the closest thing to Mechcommander 3 that will ever be released.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Hey thread, does Battletech Advanced required the expansion? I just have the base game.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

dingo with a joint posted:

Hey thread, does Battletech Advanced required the expansion? I just have the base game.

None of the 3 big overhaul mods require any of the expansions. They just add additional content when you have them.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just got a press release saying that hbs and Paradox have parted ways. Fingers crossed they can get a Battletech 2??

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
With what though, isn't everyone laid off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countzer
May 27, 2022
If they can survive the turbulence of going independent after releasing a game that bombed, and if they can give a good pitch, and if the IP owner is interested in investing into the game. Maybe they can kickstarter a new Shadowrun campaign, since those were medium budget well-received games that performed well. That seems the safer option. Would also fit with the fact that the studio's been downsized.