Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

no arrows in BTA, just counts! small stuff is much harder to kill here unless it’s being meleed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Just got this on steam for cheap as chips, should I bother playing it raw or jump right into some mod or other? I'm not a battletech virgin but I do suck at the tabletop game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd play it vanilla and do the story campaign. Or at worst do BEX so you can still do the campaign with a couple extra toys.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah there's no harm running through the campaign with BEX for your first time since it does very little in changing the gameplay overall except some QOL changes and some balance tweaks to weapons, equipment, the black market, and pilot skills. Though you may want to stick to the normal or hard difficulties in that, since "Simulation" and "Sim+" throws in a few extras that you might not be ready for.

https://battletech-extended-3025.fandom.com/wiki/Getting_Started

Definitely save the big ones like Advanced or Roguetech when you're pretty familiar though.

Warad fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 28, 2023

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Groovy thanks. Wow this ain't a fast install process.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I actually think the base game works great and is fun for a run through the campaign. it's when you want to sink you teeth in a bit more that mods come in and go crazy in career mode

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i suggested these mods last time someone asked about their initial playthrough

biosterous posted:

specific QoL/minor tweak mods i would recommend for a first run:

Crystal Clear (graphics options not available via the in-game menus! the rain particle effect just makes things unclear and hurts my eyes a bit, this removes it)

Colorful Combatants (pirates have more colours, yay, fun)

Pilot Health Popup (so you don't have to remember if this is the first time you've done a pilot hit to someone, or if you've already banged them up)

Better Headlights (it just looks nice)

Battletech QoL by BTNomad (auto-skip the repetitive enter/leave orbit, dock/undock cutscenes, selectively tell your crew to stop warning you about funds/training/repairs)

BTMLColorLOSMod (makes it absolutely clear if you'll be shooting someone's front/side/rear arc when you move)

and i still stand by this list, especially the last one

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Base game (with expansions, no mods) first, if only so missions/loading/etc. are faster.

Plus everyone should get to feel the joy of making a headcapping marauder at least once.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
MW5 question: has anyone else hit a bug where you can't exit from the Transmissions menu? If I try to accept a mission I just get stuck at this screen with no way to exit:

I tried disabling all of my mods with no luck.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
No, but my game randomly hangs on loading screens and every time I try to quit it just sits there forever until I kill it through Task Manager. I just load autosaves a lot.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Speaking of MW5, there's been a major leak on its future today with a PCGamer cover story of the next DLC

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/16iuo7p/somene_call_a_plumber_cuz_we_got_a_big_leak/

It's Clans

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Cautiously optimistic but a little worried. The open ended campaign was my favorite part of MW5. I would rather have a big sandbox than a handcrafted story in the context of Battletech/Mechwarrior if I'm being honest.

And this is focusing more on the handcrafted story side of things which will probably make it less replayably enjoyable for my co-op crew.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The open ended campaign of MW5 for me mostly meant one player making all the decisions about which of the 4 permutations of 30 identical defense missions to do to grind for money. The game shined the most with the more difficult, involved, and hand crafted story missions I thought so doing more of that seems cool to me.

Also 5 player coop because its a clan star, haha.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
MW5's procgen missions are incredibly bland and basic and almost all consist of "walk to point, kill x number of enemies that spawn out of either dropships that land on top of you or out of thin air out of your line of sight 1 km away, mission complete" or "destroy/protect a bizarrely square base/town located in the middle of nowhere with no connecting infrastructure".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The fact that it's DLC is strange, I'd expected it to be a seperate game entirely, i.e. MW6

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Kesper North posted:

The fact that it's DLC is strange, I'd expected it to be a seperate game entirely, i.e. MW6

It's probably gonna be more like an expansion pack than a DLC. More like the Dawn of War 2 expansion than the previous DLCs for MW5.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kesper North posted:

It's a standalone game and not DLC, they call it a 'partner game' specifically.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah the article describes it as them basically doing MW2 (but backwards), what with both a Clanner and Merc specific "game" that were technically the same game but were obviously wildly different experiences to the point they stand out from one another.

I'd still expect an update for Mercs to come out with Clans though. Porting over the Mechs, equipment, etc, and being able to fight them at the "end" of a career, maybe a small campaign introducing them like how MW2 did.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yes I would like to get clanner equipment in the open world campaign

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Warad posted:

Speaking of MW5, there's been a major leak on its future today with a PCGamer cover story of the next DLC

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/16iuo7p/somene_call_a_plumber_cuz_we_got_a_big_leak/

It's Clans

Minor correction, they've said this is going to be a standalone title, it's not a DLC for the existing MW5: Mercs.

Kanos posted:

"destroy/protect a bizarrely square base/town located in the middle of nowhere with no connecting infrastructure".

Don't forget the part where it's not scaled remotely correctly for your Mechs to be fighting in/around. Something MW4 did much better, along with more robust lance commands and better AI.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 15, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Kanos posted:

MW5's procgen missions are incredibly bland and basic and almost all consist of "walk to point, kill x number of enemies that spawn out of either dropships that land on top of you or out of thin air out of your line of sight 1 km away, mission complete" or "destroy/protect a bizarrely square base/town located in the middle of nowhere with no connecting infrastructure".

Yeah, you need to make your own fun with those. I like to bring a ridiculous gimmick mech like a Blackjack with a stealth suit and 12 machine guns while my AI teammates get LRM boats.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
BTA patch 16.5 is out. Bit more content for the non-canon Sanctuary Worlds faction and some fixes/balance changes. The patch is savegame compatible to the previous version.

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=2023/09/15_-_Patch_v16.5

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
They scored a critical hit on my nostalgia bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYZwO5f9yk4

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
No amount of nostalgia will convince me to give PGI money.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Game's just fundamentally boring. Tried again a few months back, it's fine for the first couple of hours and then you realise every procgen mission is the same and the fights aren't interesting at all.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Mods do a lot of heavy lifting for MW5 but it is hard to see it as anything but a sideshow for BT for when you just want to blow stuff up personally for a bit (or translate wacky builds from one another as previously mentioned)

The DLC campaigns have been way better overall though, still have Dragon's Gambit in a few weeks, but both Kestrel Lancers and the Rasalhague DLCs were pretty enjoyable, and focusing on that straight from the get-go for Clans gives me at least some optimism.

Warad fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 16, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lagidnam posted:

BTA patch 16.5 is out. Bit more content for the non-canon Sanctuary Worlds faction and some fixes/balance changes. The patch is savegame compatible to the previous version.

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=2023/09/15_-_Patch_v16.5

Nice to hear. Haven’t played in a few months but we’ll see what happens soon

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

No amount of nostalgia will convince me to give PGI money.

I imagine it'll be on game pass again, which helps.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've tried MW5 on both Game Pass and PS4 and I just can't get past how horrible the controls feel.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its the problem with how drifty mechs from pgi feel. Theres no real inertia to the movement compared to 3 or 4.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been feeling the itch of big stompy robbits lately. I've played most of the campaign on launch and one career at some point, so I feel I'm ready to get some mods in. Checking the last few pages, this caught my attention:

lagidnam posted:

BTA has released "BTA Light". It's a one off release off BTA 3062 that's closer to the vanilla game.
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=BTA_Light

Stuff that's gone:

IT REQUIRES A NEW DOWNLOADER!

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Main_Page

Might be something for a player who want's a bit more than BTX but is scared by all the bullshit that BTA 3062 has. (I'm looking at you, LAMs and BAs...)

Is this OK if I want more variety in mechs and missions but not entire new mechanics or weird troop types? Any other suggestions?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I haven't played BTA Light myself but you probably want to have a look at BEX first:

https://battletech-extended-3025.fandom.com/wiki/Battletech_Extended_3025_Wiki

A lot of the mechanic changes that Battletech 3062 has are also in the light version, most prominently the changes to movement and evasion. If you don't want those then BEX is the way to go.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Mechwarrior 5 is on Steam sale right now. Is it as much fun as Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Corsec posted:

Mechwarrior 5 is on Steam sale right now. Is it as much fun as Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was?

i did not play mw4 so i can't really compare, but enjoyment on mw5 is highly dependent on how much you enjoy the procedural generated missions (and also how many mods you're willing to install to increase the variety)

i found the base game to be ok but then i threw in a million mods and now it really scratches an itch for me

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Corsec posted:

Not really, mw5 was a solid 4 or 4.5 out of 10 but that was without the last expansion that came out. Playing mw2 on the ps2 was a better experience. You still need to mod it to hell to get it acceptable. Grab it from a 3rd party keysite where you can get the game and expansions for 5 bucks or just pirate it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Corsec posted:

Not even close to MW4. It's an okay filler game that will give you the base experience of stomping around and shooting things with a mech, and it can be a relatively fun experience if you've got some friends to play with, but the missions are mostly boring procgen filler, the unmodded mech customization is barebones and lovely, and the AI is abysmal. There's no cool memorable stuff like MW4's Solaris.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I bought MW5 on release and still haven't finished it. I'm hoping that Clans leak saves it for me. I just got so bored of shooting tanks and helicopters and my lance mates being so terrible. I didn't have friends who wanted to co-op so it became a slog for me

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries had procedurally generated "filler" missions you could take to advance the clock if you didn't like any of the available story missions.

MW:5 is like the polar opposite of that. It's all filler with a few rare story missions to break up the monotony.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Thanks for the responses, guys. I have really fond memories of the past Mechwarrior games so I was hoping it'd be good, but it seems like it's a mediocre game that relies too heavily on procgen. The low number of user reviews on steam indicates it's not good enough to be popular. My dream would be something like a Mount and Blade dynamic open world but it's clearly not that.

Also it seems like it I'd have to buy all the DLC to get all the plot missions and it doesn't seem like it's worth the price even on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mechwarrior 5 in coop is a very fun experience if you have 3 other friends who are down to bicker and squabble about how to run a mercenary company together but only 1 person has any say in what actually happens or can even see things like mission briefings, which is a shame.

The Clan spinoff being sold as entirely focused on hand crafted and complex missions is heartening to me, but also 5 player coop to match a clan star is a very funny thing i'm glad theyre doing.