Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
[edit]

woops wrong thread, sorry everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I think non-superhero Gwen is just screwed because even if you, as the writer of some new adaptation, choose to include her and have no plans to kill her, everyone is going to be expecting her to die.

I think the last chance to redefine her as something else was either Spectacular Spider-Man (the show) or Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic). The show ended prematurely, and Bendis couldn't resist doing his own death of Gwen / clone saga.

I mean, you're not wrong, but just because everyone expects the shoe to drop doesn't mean it has to. Some crazy bastard just has to actually write a Gwen that doesn't die and doesn't get powers.

...but crucially, then they'll have to get hired by Marvel and run their ideas past them. So, you know, it'll never happen! :v:

idk, maybe Spider-Verse's message about how canon events are bullshit will get through some thick editiorial/executive skulls

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but just because everyone expects the shoe to drop doesn't mean it has to. Some crazy bastard just has to actually write a Gwen that doesn't die and doesn't get powers.

...but crucially, then they'll have to get hired by Marvel and run their ideas past them. So, you know, it'll never happen! :v:

idk, maybe Spider-Verse's message about how canon events are bullshit will get through some thick editiorial/executive skulls

They can but the major issue there is going to be "why" due to the aforementioned Mary Jane thing. Anyone growing up on Spider-Man in the past 40 years has grown up with Mary Jane as Peter's designated love interest with a small side helping of one of the worst attempts at retconning that in modern comic history. You have to go back to the 70s Spider-Man to find anyone who really cares about Gwen Stacy and further still to find a way to portray Gwen Stacy in a way people will care about for anything but her name.

It's like really wanting Clark Kent to end up with Lana Lang. Sure, you can, but you're fighting against a looooot of weight with very little support. Even the Marvel editors don't want Mary Jane to be replaced by Gwen, they just want Peter to be a Swinging Single.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can really understand the writers at marvel wanting to go back to a Peter Parker being pulled between multiple potential love interests, that's an easy source of angst, and it helped keep the action going for Peter's social life in the earlier days.

It doesn't help that generally a lot of stories, superhero comics especially, just aren't interested in long-term stable relationships. That's one of the reasons there as a plan in the 90s to swap out to a new Spiderman, so Peter Parker could become just a normal family man, but the clone saga went really badly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can really understand the writers at marvel wanting to go back to a Peter Parker being pulled between multiple potential love interests, that's an easy source of angst, and it helped keep the action going for Peter's social life in the earlier days.

It doesn't help that generally a lot of stories, superhero comics especially, just aren't interested in long-term stable relationships. That's one of the reasons there as a plan in the 90s to swap out to a new Spiderman, so Peter Parker could become just a normal family man, but the clone saga went really badly.

I don't think it was always that way. It's just harder to write but you've already ended up with the issue where past a certain point you're going to have to commit or nobody is going to care because the character is going to vanish in a week and romance without catharsis or resolution is deeply unsatisfying in an ongoing story. Eventually you're going to hit the jackpot (lol) and find a character that people really like and you can only will they/won't they for so long before people get annoyed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but just because everyone expects the shoe to drop doesn't mean it has to.

No but then the question is why include her? She now has two major and totally opposite developments hanging over her if she shows up and so to use neither it's like, is the point just to tease the audience the whole time? Or just prove a point? It's why I said she's screwed because the last chances we had to have an alive Gwen failed, and then Spider-Gwen became a thing afterward so it's over now.

If the desire is to have a love interest who doesn't die or become a Spider-hero, there are plenty of other choices or original characters to use. And that's assuming, as someone else just mentioned, you can escape MJ's gravity anyway.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean the 'being pulled between multiple love interests' didn't actually happen all that much. You had the Betty and VeronicaLiz stuff in the Lee/Ditko era, you had some light-hearted joking with Gwen & MJ, and there was tension when MJ returned and Felicia and Peter was an item, but that was basically the only times I can think of. Otherwise Peter's a serial monogamist.

I mean it worked in the Spectacular Spider-Man series, mind you, but that was coming out when the Raimi films were recent and you hadn't had the MCU movies, the Spider-Verse movies, and the PS4 games all reinforcing MJ as the endgame.

Lobok posted:

No but then the question is why include her? She now has two major and totally opposite developments hanging over her if she shows up and so to use neither it's like, is the point just to tease the audience the whole time? Or just prove a point? It's why I said she's screwed because the last chances we had to have an alive Gwen failed, and then Spider-Gwen became a thing afterward so it's over now.

If the desire is to have a love interest who doesn't die or become a Spider-hero, there are plenty of other choices or original characters to use. And that's assuming, as someone else just mentioned, you can escape MJ's gravity anyway.
They actually did it with Chat in the Marvel Adventures series, so it can be done. Of course that was an out-of-continuity comic series. But again, they actually committed to that relationship.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
You just reminded me that 616 Chat was introduced in one of the quickly canceled Spider comics like a decade ago and hasn't been seen since :(

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

eternaldough posted:

I really liked/like The Batman cartoon from 2005(6?4?). The theme song from the first two seasons I thought was the coolest thing in the world. I honestly was really against the second opening because it was so different and I didnt want to accept it, but its honestly really good too. All together I also just really like the look and feel of everything, and Catwoman's design in this show is my fav of all her animated appearances.

Also the dracula movie is so silly but I love it a ton. Wouldnt mind making it a halloween staple 🧛‍♂️

As a hardcore DCAU fan I was bitterly against the first season of that show and gradually warmed to it, eventually watching all of season 2 through 5(?). It was pretty good, had a Jackie Chan adventures feel to it because of some of the same ppl who worked on it. One of the most unusual takes on the Joker. But hey, you're not gonna do better than Mark Hammil so gotta try something different.

The Dracula Batman movie was fun.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ccs posted:

As a hardcore DCAU fan I was bitterly against the first season of that show and gradually warmed to it, eventually watching all of season 2 through 5(?). It was pretty good, had a Jackie Chan adventures feel to it because of some of the same ppl who worked on it. One of the most unusual takes on the Joker. But hey, you're not gonna do better than Mark Hammil so gotta try something different.

The Dracula Batman movie was fun.

It's a good show and did a lot of neat things.

But it definitely received a lot of hate for not being Batman TAS or the DCAU.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Been a while since I watched The Batman but I've praised its version of Poison Ivy in here before. She isn't just a sexy femme fatale with plant tentacles, she looks more plant-like and has cooler powers. I also like its Batgirl, which is related cuz they have a backstory together in this. It's a lot more unique than what they do with Dick which is the same old story.

Also, not terribly related, but I remember instantly thinking when I heard Firefly "that is Garrett from Extreme Ghosbusters." And I think Batman is actually Eduardo from EG, too. Man, little me loved Extreme Ghosbusters. Long before everyone complained about poo poo being "woke" they made a show where a bunch of white guys were replaced by an African-American, a Latino, a guy in a wheelchair, and a Goth girl. But nobody cared or whined cuz it was good.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, not terribly related, but I remember instantly thinking when I heard Firefly "that is Garrett from Extreme Ghosbusters." And I think Batman is actually Eduardo from EG, too. Man, little me loved Extreme Ghosbusters. Long before everyone complained about poo poo being "woke" they made a show where a bunch of white guys were replaced by an African-American, a Latino, a guy in a wheelchair, and a Goth girl. But nobody cared or whined cuz it was good.

Oh, they did. There were bitter Ghostbusters fans already by that point. There just wasn't a convenient soapbox for them to get their opinions to the larger audiences, since the Internet was less universal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Suleman posted:

Oh, they did. There were bitter Ghostbusters fans already by that point. There just wasn't a convenient soapbox for them to get their opinions to the larger audiences, since the Internet was less universal.

Less Universal, more Columbia.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Argue posted:

You just reminded me that 616 Chat was introduced in one of the quickly canceled Spider comics like a decade ago and hasn't been seen since :(

It was Anya's Spider-Girl series, (also by Tobin) IIRC. The same one that killed off her (Anya's) dad in the first arc.

We never did find out what the deal was with her sister.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Opening credits for Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKvNcDaoYpA

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They really just said "gently caress it, it's an anime now"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Ehh, did you read the comic?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AstronautsAlwaysWays.jpg.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Air Skwirl posted:

Ehh, did you read the comic?

I was expecting an animated series with heavy anime influences, in the same way the comic is an western comic with heavy manga (and video game) influences.

I was not expecting a full anime opening with a Japanese pop song, and it kinda owns tbh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I was expecting an animated series with heavy anime influences, in the same way the comic is an western comic with heavy manga (and video game) influences.

I was not expecting a full anime opening with a Japanese pop song, and it kinda owns tbh.

The studio is Science Saru. It was always going to be anime. And not just anime but anime as gently caress.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1725197642181853516

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didn't even know season 5 wasn't a go already

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Can't say I'm actually excited anymore. Last season was real bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn’t there supposed to be a Kite Man spinoff coming at some point as well?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nanigans posted:

Yeah I stopped watching it halfway through. Kinda feels like it's worn out its welcome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t there supposed to be a Kite Man spinoff coming at some point as well?

Hell Yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPiSFDIKHEM

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nanigans posted:

Honestly, I agree. I will probably still watch it,. since there's still a chance for it to be good again, but I wouldn't have felt particularly bad if that was it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah. I’ll wait until it’s all out and see if people liked it. But it’s not appointment viewing anymore.

That Very Merry Batman looks cute but I hate Damian on principle so

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nanigans posted:

Yeah. I’ll wait until it’s all out and see if people liked it. But it’s not appointment viewing anymore.

That Very Merry Batman looks cute but I hate Damian on principle so

Based off the trailer that version of Damian definitely seems to only really have in common with other versions him being named Damian and being Bruce Wayne's biological son

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That’s kinda my problem with Damian in the first place. Bruce has enough sons. They didn’t need to make him a “real” father. Sends kind of a weird message to adopted kids imo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

drrockso20 posted:

Based off the trailer that version of Damian definitely seems to only really have in common with other versions him being named Damian and being Bruce Wayne's biological son

Yeah, it seems like its missing the element of him being a little poo poo, which sort of justifies the character, since you can at least do something interesting with that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nanigans posted:

That’s kinda my problem with Damian in the first place. Bruce has enough sons. They didn’t need to make him a “real” father. Sends kind of a weird message to adopted kids imo.

Way I see it part of Damian's role is to specifically refute that line of thought, affirming that the previous Robins(and Cass) are just as much Bruce's kids as he is(indeed the Bat Family in the form the fandom tends to like the best only really begins solidifying after Damian becomes Robin)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's great that Bruce's biological kid is a little poo poo.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How about I also really like Tim (best Robin) and Damian so totally usurped his role to the point that Tim kinda had no identity for years. Is he Red Robin? Is he Drake? Was this addition necessary in any way? Hell, Tim doesn't even seem to exist in the Harley series in favor of Damian and Dick.

I'm never gonna like Damian as a concept. Though I can appreciate when writers try to make it work, I think it's a concept that's flawed from the jump.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nanigans posted:

How about I also really like Tim (best Robin) and Damian so totally usurped his role to the point that Tim kinda had no identity for years. Is he Red Robin? Is he Drake? Was this addition necessary in any way? Hell, Tim doesn't even seem to exist in the Harley series in favor of Damian and Dick.

I'm never gonna like Damian as a concept. Though I can appreciate when writers try to make it work, I think it's a concept that's flawed from the jump.

Does Jason exist in HQ?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

NikkolasKing posted:

Does Jason exist in HQ?

Yeah. "Red Hood" can be seen as one of Harley's contacts on her phone, and there's several mentions of the Joker beating him up with the crowbar.

Tim technically exists but also only ever appeared in a flashback in Bats' mind, and has since retired as Robin. Sucks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 17, 2023

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Larryb posted:

Has Dick/Nightwing been in HQ for that matter?

Not trying to be a dick (ha), but did you watch the previous season or the one before that? He was one of the main characters. Big plot points surrounding him.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 17, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, nevermind then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nanigans posted:

Not trying to be a dick (ha), but did you watch the previous season or the one before that? He was one of the main characters. Big plot points surrounding him.

you could have just said yes