Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Too Many Birds posted:

95% of his streams is singling out people with bad takes in his chat and screaming at them for about 20 minutes.

the other 5% is him screaming at people in his chat for being "annoying"

Hes just like me for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PawParole posted:

This is the greatest victory for a colonized people since Điện Biên Phủ

Not a bad comparison to what Ardennes was talking about. Some French units were motivated under fire, not too surprising considering the all-volunteer force in Indochina. However, as the French Army went from effortlessly steamrolling peasants who had never seen a tank or fighter bomber before to actually fighting a determined enemy, it got harder and harder to get the infantry up and moving before the tanks/riverine gunboats/fighter bombers/artillery came to the rescue. By the last year or two of the war, a few cracks of rifle fire could cause an entire French battalion to just go to ground and wait for one of the above to shoot the enemy off their position. When that didn't happen, because it was night, close terrain, or bad weather, or if they were surprised, things did not go very well.

This happened so much in Algeria, where conscripts were used, that whole formations of the French Army were basically considered immobile or not to be exposed to the enemy. Their job was to man blockhouses and rough up the Algerian population while the Legion, Marines and Airborne actually went out to fight the enemy. The problem with this is that if the enemy actually did show up, they were pretty useless. They'd just sit there paralyzed, even if they were facing a handful of lightly equipped FLN fighters. The FLN figured this out and could tie down whole regions by firing a few shots at a fortified outpost, which would cause the French garrisons to hole up, and they could go cut all the telephone wires they liked and roam the countryside.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I dunno about Hamas "liberating" territory, but the fact that they're creating active shooter situations and striking terror into the heart of Israeli settler society means that the IDF is massively preoccupied. Every one fighter is going to need an entire platoon to take them down, and they could end up escaping anyway.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah but you keep talking about it like it's not going to happen. Israelis will get themselves into a two front war and they will lose.

They were trying some backchannels a while ago for the prisoners. Also, if they lose, then Gaza is going to survive. The issue is less “raging out” but the actual capabilities of the IDF at this point.

I have noticed nearly every NAFO type is pro-Israel.

Remember also that the Israelis have a historic aversion to casualties to a fault, they know they need to make a show of it. In contrast, Ukraine seriously seems to want to guys they are sending in to combat to die.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Oct 9, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the french are such satanists they lost to the nazis and were occupied for five years yet still they tried to hold on to their colonial posessions and fight for them harder than they fought for their own country

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

it's just that hasan is an extremely good gateway drug into progressive politics and i feel like the guy is burnt out and isn't doing himself any favors just melting down every 5 minutes because someone obviously baited him into it.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Too Many Birds posted:

it's just that hasan is an extremely good gateway drug into progressive politics and i feel like the guy is burnt out and isn't doing himself any favors just melting down every 5 minutes because someone obviously baited him into it.

isnt that just what streamers do?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ardennes posted:

They were trying some backchannels a while ago for the prisoners. Also, if they lose, then Gaza is going to survive. The issue is less “raging out” but the actual capabilities of the IDF at this point.

Israel isn't going to back down until the pain becomes unbearable for them. The political momentum is such that it's impossible for them not to invade. Just like how the UAF was politically compelled to send columns of tanks into minefields.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Israel nuking what they say is their own territory seems very grim

Ethnostate fascist death cult is going to behave like a death cult. If Isreal ever feels like it can loser militarily, they can just pull a nah we can both lose and maybe throw in some Samson option on top of that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1711210397254987851?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

the israeli currency collapsed to its lowest point in eight years

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
if hamas did capture almost the entire command staff of three brigades and a couple of special forces groups, where the gently caress did the rest of those troops go? even if they were fifty or eighty percent conscripts and reservists, isn't that still like a couple thousand dudes?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Too Many Birds posted:

95% of his streams is singling out people with bad takes in his chat and screaming at them for about 20 minutes.

the other 5% is him screaming at people in his chat for being "annoying"

it's pretty impressive how much of chat he actually reads when there are 25,000 people yelling at him

it also makes him pretty vulnerable to trolling if you're good

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1711210397254987851?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

finally, good news for my iraqi dinar collection

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

If Israel nukes even Lebanon they’re dead from contamination

Rather than launch nukes have them as dead man's triggers that only go off if the city they're based in falls. Scorched earth one at a time only to discourage further advances.

You'd want light yields to avoid too much friendly collateral.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

the french are such satanists they lost to the nazis and were occupied for five years yet still they tried to hold on to their colonial posessions and fight for them harder than they fought for their own country

this is why I am so worried about the israeli nuclear arsenals.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Remember also that the Israelis have a historic aversion to casualties to a fault, they know they need to make a show of it. In contrast, Ukraine seriously seems to want to guys they are sending in to combat to die.

NAFO is a movement of boomers and Genx’ers and those are both pro-Israel.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's also the case that Israel would have to be fighting to reoccupy land that Hamas has liberated, before even being able to enter Gaza

That's showing that's confused me about the attack on the rave, its one of tbe first combat spots I assume its still behind the lines held by Hamas, so how where are these stories of how many are dead coming from if Isreali units haven't taken control of it

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1711152518045008120?t=tasA4-IVWqriQajOLOSySw&s=19

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

PawParole posted:

If Israel nukes even Lebanon they’re dead from contamination

what about when they nuke Iran for masterminding the Hamas terrorism

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

this guy knows where his bread is buttered so i dont blame him but inform him that the kids cages thing is fake news and the real ones are being done by america and israel for decades

israel regularly tied kids to the front of their jeeps to prevent palestinians from throwing rocks st them.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

FF is going to yell at you about John Bagot Glubb

Deep cut.

Any British officer who earned the sobriquet Pasha knew the business. I forget where I read the account of Jordanian 25pdrs being handled just as well as at El-Alamein, but they were the only ones who were able to avenge the King David. I'd place him alongside Gordon, Kitchener and Baker as worthy of the title for their service to the Arabs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Imagine watching a politics streamer. Read a loving book, you clowns

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
look you need to do your violence more slowly on a more systematic basis if you want the respect of the world order

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

BDS works!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

every major imperialist power supported and coddled the South African apartheid government up until the very end yeah?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ukraine was about dudes who were political in the 1930s

this time it's about dudes who were political in the 1940s

Al-Saqr posted:

this guy knows where his bread is buttered so i dont blame him but inform him that the kids cages thing is fake news and the real ones are being done by america and israel for decades

israel regularly tied kids to the front of their jeeps to prevent palestinians from throwing rocks st them.

it's also the case that these basketball and hip-hop twitter accounts are ideologically right-wing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Israel isn't going to back down until the pain becomes unbearable for them. The political momentum is such that it's impossible for them not to invade. Just like how the UAF was politically compelled to send columns of tanks into minefields.

Different client states, as a settler operation, Israel can only sustain so many casualties for a reason, people are choosing to live there, sometimes very recently. They can just walk away.

There is going to be ground combat, but I very much doubt we will see conscripts emptying mine fields.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Has the neoliberal rot even hollowed out the IDF, I wouldn't be surprised. Bet morale is rock bottom with most of the conscripts who never expected people to actually shoot back at them

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

im willing to bet the reason why the IDF are getting owned is that its staffed by ukranians and russians so they cant get neither their offense or defence right

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i don't think many people realize how small that area is lol

that would blind israelis in ashdod

not a ground level detonation using the minuteman III yeild

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

not a ground level detonation using the minuteman III yeild

glad to be wrong! hooray

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
why would they ever nuke land they want to live on

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

why would they ever nuke land they want to live on

They're already turning Gaza into a toxic waste dump, but waste can be contained while nuclear fallout can't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

boo boo bear posted:

if hamas did capture almost the entire command staff of three brigades and a couple of special forces groups, where the gently caress did the rest of those troops go? even if they were fifty or eighty percent conscripts and reservists, isn't that still like a couple thousand dudes?

From what I understand about the IDF in peacetime, they're not serious about confining troops to base and garrisons being closed environments. This was a weekend and a holiday, so even less so.

The bases themselves, with the exception of air and naval bases, are not as big as British, Australian or Canadian Garrisons. Especially in this Southern Command, there's a list of about a dozen bases that seem to consist of a couple shacks, an office or two, and a mess hall. For example:

Camp Iftach (Zikim Training Base) Bahad 4 posted:

Bahad 4 (Hebrew: בה"ד 4‎), commonly known as Batar Zikim (בט"ר זיקים, lit. Zikim Training Base) is a training base (Bahad) belonging to the Israel Defense Forces. Zikim is located 8 km south of Ashkelon. It was named after the nearby kibbutz Zikim.The majority of new recruits in Zikim pass the Rifleman 02 recruit training (tironut) which has all but replaced the older 00 level that was usually reserved for non-combat woman recruits.

Bahad 4 was founded in 1949 as the main IDF recruit training base, for all types of recruits (combat and non-combat). It was originally located in Tzrifin, but after the Six-Day War it was moved to the Beit El base in the newly-captured West Bank. After the Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip signed in 1995, the base was moved to Zikim.

Bahad 4 is one of the few Israeli military bases located within range of Qassam rockets fired from the Gaza Strip, and has endured numerous barrages. Dollowing an incident onn September 11, 2007, Zikim was evacuated as part of a plan presented by Deputy Chief of Staff Dan Harel to remove general recruit training bases.In late 2009, after a severe shortage of space in the other basic training bases, several companies were placed at Zikim, and more are expected to be recreated in 2009–2010.

The base comprises 9 companies for any kinds of troops. There is a special company for commander training (קורס מפקדים) and officers' course. Female commanders are dominant on the base. Each company is represented by a letter in the Hebrew alphabet (from alef (1) to yud (10), while skipping zayin (7)), as well as a word starting with the corresponding letter. Each company also has an official motto. The company names are as follows:
Order of Battle

1. Alef (א) - Eitan
2. Bet (ב) - Bardelas (Cheetah)
3. Gimel (ג) - Golan
4. Daled (ד) - Dores (Predator)
5. Hey (ה) - Harel
6. Vav (ו) - Vulcan

Those are training companies, so they're administrative units with a tiny cadre of training staff and then candidates on course. So rather than two full battalions, we're probably talking a few hundred half-trained people, of which most apparently would have hosed off for the weekend.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Imagine watching a politics streamer. Read a loving book, you clowns

brains are better wired to absorb via voice, text is an unneeded layer of abstraction, prone to metaphorical noise

we need to commune more imo, less divided into our own attentionspheres within the prison walls of text, and more enjoined in the fluid congress of thought modulated by speech

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

frosted flakes how are local canadian military heads taking the news of whats going on? are they impressed by the palestinians performance?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

smarxist posted:

brains are better wired to absorb via voice, text is an unneeded layer of abstraction, prone to metaphorical noise

we need to commune more imo, less divided into our own attentionspheres within the prison walls of text, and more enjoined in the fluid congress of thought modulated by speech

Sir, this a forum

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gorman Thomas posted:

Sir, this a forum

i heard that...

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ardennes posted:

drat big shocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

smarxist posted:

i dont hide behind pussy justifications

Books are boring as poo poo to read and i hate them i love podcasts and flicker shows and streamers.

the only three letters i need to spell are DTI.