Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i know this is psycho rereg guy but lol that some stupid rear end americans think that american domestic policy like obamacare is the reason for CoL increases, pretending the whole rest of the world doesn't exist

watching the chip shortage happen in real-time was really eye-opening as to how hosed everything is worldwide, because it was all a house of cards built on the guarantee that something like COVID would never, ever happen, pinky swear

it took 5 months from "there's a weird virus in china," to, "you're all laid off for at least a month because we can't build circuitboards anymore," while at the same time worldwide healthcare systems were in free-fall

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 6, 2023
Why did Everything increase in price in 2017 :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

pencilhands posted:

I have health insurance for the first time through an employer. I'm a single person no wife or children. It costs me about $800 a month in premiums but my deductible before literally anything at all is covered is $2500. So I could potentially spend $12000 on healthcare costs in a single year with literally no benefit?

And even once I reach the deductible I'm still on the hook for $50 copay just to see a GP. This can't be right can it? What's the point of health insurance if it doesn't do anything?

That’s an excellent question! If you could just direct your attention over here for a moment, I’m sure this will make it all clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjsO1-ws4b0

Mr Lanternfly posted:

Where the hell does all this insurance money go???

Is it going to mid level paper pushers stamping DENIED on every claim? Does it all go to board members third yachts? Does it all go into politicians pockets?

Besides to the executives and lobbyists, this is where most of it goes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX-D4kkPOQ

Bored fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 8, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's true tho, because we have public healthcare here every time someone goes to a hospital or doctor they walk out with no bill but they still go bankrupt. Why, I once asked someone for directions and I didn't know they were a nurse. When I got home literally all my possessions had been taken away from me. And I knew a guy that was forcefully detained for purchasing paracetamol from a pharmacy. When will the madness stop?!

I wish we went to a completely privatised system wherein I can be effectively owned, like property, by an employer, because of the dangling carrot of health insurance. Truly, truly the land of the free.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
you're free to become a doctor :roflolmao: in communist china pol pot makes you work on a farm while stalin watches and no one gets to be a doctor (sick poo poo)

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I’m looking over my claims and i saw the same doctor 2 weeks apart. The first visit it shows him as “in network” and the second as “out of network” can the same loving doctor shift in and out of network somehow? And yes the second visit cost hundreds of dollars more

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You saw them at a "different clinic". You (hopefully) walk down a hospital hall, turn left, walk more and BAM out of network.
At least that was my experience when I got a sinus infection last winter.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

That’s literally insane

Thanks for the info though

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I should probably share my lovely insurance story

My wife was in the hospital. We have insurance and the hospital costs were forgiven completely (like $40,000 for a week long stay lol) simply because of the circumstances and the fact that we're poor, but the ambulance (it was required for some reason, I even knew how expensive that poo poo was and asked if I could drive her the 10 minutes across town to get to the other hospital they were taking her to and they said firmly "no") price was *not* - except it actually was. We spent months fighting and for some reason coordinating and being the inbetweens for the ambulance company, my insurance (Regents Blue Cross) and the hospital. We were told multiple conflicting stories, finally ending with "the insurance company will negotiate a number with the ambulance company and your out of pocket cost is $0" so I was like "okay cool" and thought that was the end of it.

Then months later the ambulance company calls me up and says they're going to start garnishing my wages and putting liens on my car because we hadn't paid the $3000 ambulance ride across town. I say wtf, I was told you guys were going to figure it out with my insurance. The ambulance company claims the insurance company never contacted them. I call the insurance company - the ambulance company never contacted THEM. I literally have to get a 3-way call going to make them speak to each other like a marriage counselor and go through all these departments and poo poo because no one knows who is going to pay and they never actually figured it out. I am just trying to gtfo the situation since I was told I don't have to pay, as my insurance later confirmed.

I think in the end they finally actually emailed each other and the correct departments talked and the insurance company paid something. That's all I know but yeah, it was annoying as hell spending months on the phone with multiple parties trying to get a stupid pointless ambulance bill sorted that I was told numerous times was covered. But yeah, what a loving stressful joke. Private insurance should be illegal.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

If insurance gets to decide which surgeries and medications are necessary maybe they should be performing the operations and writing the prescriptions.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine if they had any sort of liability lol that'd break the entire system.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Toxic Mental posted:

I call the insurance company - the ambulance company never contacted THEM.

Tricore loves pulling this poo poo for labs

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It was just like "motherfuckers, loving CALL EACH OTHER, stop calling ME. loving HELL." Like why are they incapable of picking up the phone and figuring this out?

Oh wait because I'm just a number and it's a lot easier to just not bother and instead send the prefab letter that says they're going to start stealing my money.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
in network? out of network? what am I watching a mafia movie here?

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The ambulance that picked me up a few months ago when I fell and busted my rear end at work is sending me bills, I got out of the hospital and they'd already sent me one.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

pencilhands posted:

I have health insurance for the first time through an employer. I'm a single person no wife or children. It costs me about $800 a month in premiums but my deductible before literally anything at all is covered is $2500. So I could potentially spend $12000 on healthcare costs in a single year with literally no benefit?

And even once I reach the deductible I'm still on the hook for $50 copay just to see a GP. This can't be right can it? What's the point of health insurance if it doesn't do anything?

This is supposed to be "freedom"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

About 15 years ago, I was almost killed and ended up getting flown about 150 miles to the nearest trauma center. I had lovely insurance that was so expensive that I almost never used it, but in this case it actually came in handy because the lifeflight helicopter alone cost $30,000. Then I spent just over 3 weeks in the hospital, on a floor that was like the step down from the ICU. I had so many CAT scans my skull probably glows in the dark.

I didn't end up paying anything because, despite the lovely insurance, the state paid for everything my insurance didn't because I was the victim of a violent crime. My deductible was covered, and I think the only out of pocket things I paid for out of the whole thing was prescriptions after I was released.

If what happened to me was accidental instead of criminal then I would have been right proper hosed.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
One time I was hit by a car while riding a bicycle home from work. After I managed to call the police/an ambulance (the driver and her parents were very insistent we "just sort it out amongst ourselves") the paramedic himself told me I shouldn't go with them in the ambulance, and instead get a friend to do it, because I didn't know if the woman who hit me had insurance and so whether or not I myself would be billed.

Very normal, being told my ambulance guys to avoid the ambulance. They did at least preface it with "I shouldn't be saying this, but..."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

In Japan, old people will often call an ambulance to pick them up to take them to the hospital to talk to a doctor for no other reason than they’re bored and just want to talk to someone. And it’s like $30.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I'm a poor working/living in MA and get free state health insurance and paid $3.65 for a prescription with a retail price of $15906.89

Health insurance is a land of contrasts

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What states are best/worst with healthcare and insurance?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

pencilhands posted:

I’m looking over my claims and i saw the same doctor 2 weeks apart. The first visit it shows him as “in network” and the second as “out of network” can the same loving doctor shift in and out of network somehow? And yes the second visit cost hundreds of dollars more

:rolldice:

Let's see if we'll cover anything today

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

great big cardboard tube posted:

I'm a poor working/living in MA and get free state health insurance and paid $3.65 for a prescription with a retail price of $15906.89

Health insurance is a land of contrasts

This is good but I also suspect that the retail price is a bunch of bullshit. Unless you are taking antimatter pills it should not cost that much.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

buglord posted:

What states are best/worst with healthcare and insurance?

I'd just do some searches on it. A quick search turned this up, which is a start, at least: https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/health/analysis/top-states-health-care/

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

pencilhands posted:

That’s literally insane

having read this thread from the safety of the other side of the world:
It absolutely is literally insane, and anyone who tells you that anything described in this thread is in any way good or admirable is a soulless ghoul who would, in any other country, be fired into the sun for crimes against sentience. Your country's healthcare system is all the worst bits of the Old Testament nailed together into a slow-motion continent-sized catastrophe that eats hope and excretes shareholder reports.
Sorry guys.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
this is terrible and i wish America did medicare4all. my parents just never paid the bills but i need good credit to buy a house. so for now im paying medical bills.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

but i need good credit to buy a house

LOL if you think you are ever going to be able to afford a house if you don't already have good credit and like 5 figures in your bank account at the age of 30.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

aniviron posted:

This is good but I also suspect that the retail price is a bunch of bullshit. Unless you are taking antimatter pills it should not cost that much.

Absolutely that part is bullshit and everyone should have the same opportunity as me in MA to pay what I can afford.

Universal healthcare should be a thing but it's not right around the corner yet so workable insurance is nice and I appreciate it and in the absence of UHC I'll support expanding it.

As I said a land of contrasts.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Those retail prices they include on the statements you get always make me laugh. "Thanks to your insurance you saved $1,234!" no I didn't, you're making these numbers up and you explicitly trying to rub it in my face just makes me angry at how much of a scam the whole system is. I assume some people buy it though or they wouldn't make such a big deal of it.

I wish there was an obvious way I could help move towards UHC in the US, be it donating or working with a charity or whatever. I think it'd do unbelievable amounts of good and we're definitely not getting there fast enough.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You would think it would be a no brainer type of decision to make. I honestly don't understand how anyone can argue against it. Nearly everyone has had someone in their family get sent to the hospital at some point, even if it's just from being old and your body begins to give out in one way or another. Even Republicans in the highest offices know how awful our healthcare is, and that they're extremely lucky to have fantastic coverage while the rest of their family doesn't and has to deal with the bullshit. It's infuriating.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 10, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thankfully this is my only experience with the American healthcare system but when he talks about being only able to change healthcare plans only at predetermined times of the year, it's only for things like Obamacare, right? Or does everyone can only change their plan at the end of the year?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

Thankfully this is my only experience with the American healthcare system but when he talks about being only able to change healthcare plans only at predetermined times of the year, it's only for things like Obamacare, right? Or does everyone can only change their plan at the end of the year?
You can change on "qualified life event" (new job, lost job, had a kid/adopted, got married/civil partner, ...) or during an annual open enrollment. It's meant for blocking "I will have minimal coverage up until something actually happens, then switch to & immediately use better coverage"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Space Kablooey posted:

It's called "Open Enrollment," and yeah, you can only change your insurance during a couple weeks a year unless you have certain significant reasons to have to do it at another time. It applies to all kinds of health insurance, private and otherwise.

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/what-is-open-enrollment-your-opportunity-to-buy-health-insurance?op=1

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

:lol: if you think most people have a plan to change to.

Basically, unless you are the working poor you basically have zero control over your health insurance, it's whatever your employer offers you.

Some of us have amazing free insurance, most have whatever the minimum they are required to offer, also they charge you for it.

Literally no one understands any of it. My husband and me both have Blue Cross Blue Shield but completely different policies with completely different costs and benefits, a few years ago he suffered from a burst eardrum and the doctor told him he could be at risk of permanently losing his hearing if he didn't get special eardrops immediately and when I went to pick up the prescription the cashier pulled me aside with heavy eyes and quietly told me that after insurance it was going to be $175 because it was a "speciality" medication and asked if I still wanted to fill it. To save his hearing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

wow thats not very free market at all!!

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Pro tip, sign up between jobs while not receiving a paycheck or take some unpaid time off leading up to enrollment so you can report that monthly income.

If you do actually need healthcare it works out cheaper to pay way less all year for insurance than to earn more that month and then pay way more :thumbsup:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pro tip, sign up between jobs while not receiving a paycheck or take some unpaid time off leading up to enrollment so you can report that monthly income.

If you do actually need healthcare it works out cheaper to pay way less all year for insurance than to earn more that month and then pay way more :thumbsup:

Living in the US and having to min max all this bullshit sounds exhausting

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pro-Tip: It's called an Advanced Premium Tax Credit, they advance you the money based on what you anticipate your actual tax return income will be, if you guess wrong and your actual income is higher you have to pay the money back.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Pro-Tip: It's called an Advanced Premium Tax Credit, they advance you the money based on what you anticipate your actual tax return income will be, if you guess wrong and your actual income is higher you have to pay the money back.

Please don't tell them to audit me because I have been doing this for years and have never not gotten a tax return while also getting healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

Living in the US and having to min max all this bullshit sounds exhausting
It's very wealth and job class dependent. For a white collar office worker at a company big enough to have dedicate bureaucracy, it's mostly just a big expense. You get an annual presentation from someone in HR/Benefits with a few options, then have a couple weeks to ask questions & pick from those. A big employer will offer like 3-6 plans or so at various quality combinations (and the premium share your employer pays will make it obviously not worth looking elsewhere). If you're at a small company, you're much more on your own for figuring things out and navigating any subsidies.

For my personnel experience as someone who consumes a bunch of health care for chronic stuff, the actual insurance-picking and medical parts aren't that overwhelming compared to the being-sick parts: pick the fanciest plan offered because I'm going to end up using it, use doctors attached to the big local hospital system, and call people a week or so before any expensive imaging (MRI) or drugs to make sure all the paperwork got squared away. Health insurance is an expensive line item on my paychecks, but dealing with it isn't a huge effort or time sink, if that makes sense. I'm lucky enough to not be having to gamble or hyper optimize though; if a $100 ER fee was going to be a hardship it'd be a lot more work, probably. It'd also be harder if I wasn't in a big city with a big in-network hospital system.