Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Paracelsus posted:

It helps that the series pre-dates the ossification of the genre tropes, so the plot isn't rote, and that Rudy isn't the fulcrum of the universe or a walking WMD.

Re:Monster came out in 2011 and I remember the MC making a cocoon and loving all the women with him cucking all the other side characters. Stopped reading after that waaaaaaaay back :yikes:

But that is like Japanese being super horny and found everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Backing up to better isekai-adjacents itt, one thing I have to give props for Suicide Hunter's author is his ability to write across different genres really, really loving well.
The murim story is absolutely fantastic and stands above most offerings in the genre.
The Otome story creates one of the coolest loving FLs I've ever followed.

I can't imagine how hard that is to do.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
The Novel's Extra does similar things since its one of the humans get summoned into survival games by bored gods ("constellations") and its a series of 'tests' and elaborate story arcs. So it ends up spanning a bunch of genres that way.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What in the world?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The great cleric seemed good until it started going all white savior

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Spookydonut posted:

The great cleric seemed good until it started going all white savior

Also, you know, the part where he buys a bunch of slaves that all turn out to be super powered and not only does he not free them, they beg him not to free them because he's so cool.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is this a joke or do people in that world really not notice when someones ears are in a different place compared to them?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EVIL Gibson posted:

Re:Monster came out in 2011 and I remember the MC making a cocoon and loving all the women with him cucking all the other side characters. Stopped reading after that waaaaaaaay back :yikes:

But that is like Japanese being super horny and found everywhere

He did that a lot, it was really hosed up.

Honestly, 'Tensei Goblin dakedo Shitsumon aru' was a lot better concept: https://mangadex.org/title/782211b2-44ca-44ae-89f2-8a1160221b96/tensei-goblin-dakedo-shitsumon-aru
Story: Office worker get's isekai'd, regrets not being able to live to old age, gets reborn as a Goblin but in the world he's in, Goblins only live about a week, except he's been blessed with a human lifespan and he slowly goes about modernizing the goblin society through the ability of goblins to pass their abilities and memories down from generation to generation.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 9, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CubeTheory posted:

Also, you know, the part where he buys a bunch of slaves that all turn out to be super powered and not only does he not free them, they beg him not to free them because he's so cool.

That makes me think of a non-JP web novel I'm currently following, which has about the only acceptable reason to remain with a slave owner, and even then they're freed and are getting paid for their work. (It's not outstanding, so don't expect a lot, but it's enjoyable enough. There's also a lot of blue boxes at the beginning. It's called Draconic Karma Dungeon.)

The System and Dungeons are created by a world's god so the latter could lure in and kill those that turn to evil, while also empowering those that wish to protect. This mostly worked, but not completely because the god ran out of power before they could grant sapience to dungeons. While recovering, a sapient soul fuses with a dungeon core, so the god gives them a little blessing.

Said dungeon just so happens to open near a band of beastkin that have escaped being slaves under the surrounding elven nation. Many chapters later, after the beastkin have to hide inside the dungeon due to a new elven settlement being founded by the dungeon, the dungeon manages to convince the elven settlement's leader that beastkin are people too, and to ban slavery within the forming town. There's currently only one slave and her child living there, owned by a priest, and once he realizes her personhood he's fully behind the ban.

However, once freed, the beastkin continues working for the priest, with a salary, because he hasn't been unkind to her and her child, while she gets her feet under herself. She explores other jobs once she's used to being free, ultimately deciding to gather resources from the dungeon, though has yet to connect with the beastkin who have returned to the surface in the past couple chapters.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

He did that a lot, it was really hosed up.

Honestly, 'Tensei Goblin dakedo Shitsumon aru' was a lot better concept: https://mangadex.org/title/782211b2-44ca-44ae-89f2-8a1160221b96/tensei-goblin-dakedo-shitsumon-aru
Story: Office worker get's isekai'd, regrets not being able to live to old age, gets reborn as a Goblin but in the world he's in, Goblins only live about a week, except he's been blessed with a human lifespan and he slowly goes about modernizing the goblin society through the ability of goblins to pass their abilities and memories down from generation to generation.

I was enjoying this then it turned into a harem -.-

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i think i got up to ch45 of the Great Cleric manga version.
I see its up to like ch67 now, guess time to catch up once i have a free night.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Not isekai but a dungeon crawl manga. My Sword Will Lead The Way is fun.

An s-rank swordsman is betrayed in a dungeon and falls to the lower levels but isn't super angry and vindictive about it. He's mad but not author working out his bullying issues mad. I've only read a bit of it but the art is nice and nothing has stood out as stupid yet.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CubeTheory posted:

It gave me whiplash with how quickly it went from “our church can’t own slaves so I’ll use that as an excuse to free them” to “whelp, guess I’ve got to buy a bunch of slaves to help me out”.

I might have stuck around if the series had at least treated it as something the MC had to wrestle with due to his faith, but nope he was just 100% cool with it. And then as you said all the slaves did the typical “oh no you’re so great and kind please keep owning us” crap.

Just ugh, it was a fun series up to that point.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
still a fun series

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Brought To You By posted:

Is this a joke or do people in that world really not notice when someones ears are in a different place compared to them?

Reborn in a World Full of Republicans Who "Don't See Race"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

I was enjoying this then it turned into a harem -.-

It's so common in isekai I often forget about it

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I feel I wouldn't mind the inevitable harems so much if the authors did anything with them but the romantic interests just end up endlessly orbiting the main character with nothing happening. If it's a power fantasy, why not go all the way?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's that one farming isekai (not the one with mermaid wife and neighborhood lich) where the guy has to gently caress every single woman on the farm, for the most Abe-approved contrived reproductive reasoning.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The biggest problem I have with harems is that they're all one way (group of women with one man or vice versa, and the singular partner being the only person of that gender the opposite group have eyes for while their partner is usually much less restricted), which, sure, that's what the word's evolved to mean.

But I'd like to see a polycule for once, instead. That's a much more interesting dynamic, even without conflict, (and some representation I'd love to see) though it does lose basically all of the power fantasy so it's sadly a nonstarter of an idea for the majority of these.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
harems are boring because it usually means none of the members get to be fleshed out characters. in isekai, that usually means the gormless loser mc saves a girl and from then on her entire personality consists of obsessive devotion to him.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Zenjiro in sponger life is getting a harem whether he likes it or not and that's a great series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Guyver posted:

Zenjiro in sponger life is getting a harem whether he likes it or not and that's a great series.

A parade of new girls for him to turn down showing up at the start of each arc like a preview of the minibosses in a battle manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lunar detritus posted:

I feel I wouldn't mind the inevitable harems so much if the authors did anything with them but the romantic interests just end up endlessly orbiting the main character with nothing happening. If it's a power fantasy, why not go all the way?
moribito has a harem but each of the girls arealso doing their own things, going on their own adventures, plotting their own schemes. Definitely makes them more interesting than the type you describe where the harem members basically don't exist outside of the context of them and the MC.

Guyver posted:

and in that one, the harem forms slowly and naturally, the ones who show up and day 1 are like "I'm your concubine now!" get shoved out the door.

Bongo Bill posted:

A parade of new girls for him to turn down showing up at the start of each arc like a preview of the minibosses in a battle manga.
:hmmyes:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The "harem" in sponger life is funny because the series is only paying the barest of lip service to the idea of a harem before immediately going back to the political intrigue stuff. It's like giving your kid an iPad to distract them with while you're having a work meeting.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the only thing I don't really like in The Great Cleric is the running gag of 'mysterious nasty tasting drink x' gets old fast, but they keep throwing it into the plot

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Sevens/Seventh has my favorite implementation of a harem in fiction because the main character spends the whole series wishing he could date the one girl he likes. Unfortunately, said girl is his ruthlessly loyal puppet master of a retainer who does her best to keep him from making it clear that he's not interested in any of the other girls around them. After all, so long as they're following him around, they're still useful to Lyle! Which he can kind of see and can't stop, both because she's better at it than him and because he can't afford to blow up his power base.

(Webnovel spoilers up until the end) And the whole story is that pattern writ large again and again for higher and higher stakes. Which eventually ends in Lyle saving the world by becoming an emperor against his own will, forging a massive web of marriage alliances with women he likes but mostly doesn't love, and spending the rest of his life in a hellish web of palace intrigue that doesn't involve repeated infanticide only by his good luck. And his other wish is to reconcile with his family, every part of which he ultimately has to destroy with his own hands. But hey, the one girl he actually loves falls in love with him at the very end!

I'm a sucker for tragedies of inevitability, where the story ends the way it does because no one could do differently. Sevens/Seventh has a happy ending, mostly, but it's a sad kind of happy ending.

Not an isekai, though. :v:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Sevens was one of my first actually fully read and completed. It was quite the rollercoaster.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GateOfD posted:

the only thing I don't really like in The Great Cleric is the running gag of 'mysterious nasty tasting drink x' gets old fast, but they keep throwing it into the plot

that's his entire personality, though. take away the mystery drink and he'd have nothing left.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The author also doesn't do any world building. He goes to a bunch of different towns but then just stays in a basement for 99% of the time.

He goes to a loving flying city and spends all his time inside a library and literally never explores the city.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was hooked on SSS Rank Hunter from the moment it reveals his plan to stop Flame Emperor.

The Witch is great. :allears:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Smartphone isekai continues to be a train wreck i cant look away from, latest volume of the LN is out in english.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

Smartphone isekai continues to be a train wreck i cant look away from, latest volume of the LN is out in english.

It got objectively worse once he started finding the floating islands and he basically is sexually assaulted by every robot girl he finds to 'connect' with him

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CommieGIR posted:

It got objectively worse once he started finding the floating islands and he basically is sexually assaulted by every robot girl he finds to 'connect' with him

how about retroconning the wives ages to be less gross lol. "16 month long years" yeah ok buddy

also the 10th robot girl is the worst one of all

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

how about retroconning the wives ages to be less gross lol. "16 month long years" yeah ok buddy

also the 10th robot girl is the worst one of all

"When you think about it, what even is a 'year'? This person may only be '8 years old' on Earth, but on another planet they could be 40!"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Reborn in a World Full of Republicans Who "Don't See Race"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

I haven't been keeping up with SSS Suicide Hunter, but as of the last arc I remember (the Murim arc), I feel like it has a big problem of just kind of... forgetting that other people exist for long stretches. Like, he goes to the Murim world with the doctors and stuff, so you'd think they'd get a lot of a character development now that they're in focus, but actually no they're pretty much irrelevant and instead he spends a billion chapters in a kind of solipsist world where only he exists. Oh, and the person he just met in this arc and will never meet again. Which is kinda exactly what happened in the previous big arc too? The basic problem is that using his power resets the development of every single other character, and no matter how much he says he respects them they just sort of become pawns in his game that eventually get shoved offscreen because they can only ever do the same things over and over again (because he's resetting time). Like, theoretically he is interacting with them over and over again every time he resets time, but after the first few times they don't even bother to show it, so those characters may as well not exist except insofar as they do exactly what he tells them to (because he figured out how to convince them X loops ago).

It's just kind of frustrating.

i think it's a good story but yeah the two general flaws are philosophical side-tangents that last way longer than they need to and regularly forgetting characters exist, and not the ones you'd expect to get forgotten. tbf the 2nd is usually a direct consequence of the 1st.

your general complaints do get addressed in the story itself though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 11, 2023

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's a new goofy isekai, where a guy's cheat power is that the non-humans think he is extremely cute. So he gets doted on by demons like the family pet (fearing for his life the whole time), while they brutalize every other human.

https://mangadex.org/title/7a892279-ff67-4a8c-b58f-2880422198a7/zangyaku-sugiru-isekai-demo-suzuki-wa-kawaii

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Soft power is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im extremely concerned about the other isekai world involved in the mix-up.