Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A Friends reboot but all 6 people work for a Silicon Valley startup burning through VC and they all live in the trunk of a Subaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jose Oquendo posted:

A Friends reboot but all 6 people work for a Silicon Valley startup burning through VC and they all live in the trunk of a Subaru.

So Silicon Valley sponsored by Tesla?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
(If this were real) it’s hysterically funny to me that a IOT mattress would deflate when disconnected from the internet. Because the product is just the hook; the user data is the only valuable thing to them

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Vampire Panties posted:

(If this were real) it’s hysterically funny to me that a IOT mattress would deflate when disconnected from the internet. Because the product is just the hook; the user data is the only valuable thing to them

:hmmyes:

I’m not a computer toucher so maybe there’s something I don’t understand but I feel like “mattress deflates when the WiFi dips” is something that could be solved by a line or two of code that says IF WIFI=NO THEN MAINTAIN CURRENT SETTING but again I’m not part of the move fast and break things crowd.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Its because they don't want you to gently caress without them knowing, they are going to blackmail you when it shows you had sex the week your spouse was out of town.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:hmmyes:

I’m not a computer toucher so maybe there’s something I don’t understand but I feel like “mattress deflates when the WiFi dips” is something that could be solved by a line or two of code that says IF WIFI=NO THEN MAINTAIN CURRENT SETTING but again I’m not part of the move fast and break things crowd.

i think he said earlier it's because the management don't want people not connecting their mattress to the wifi (lol)

the bed has loving drm

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
In the osha thread they were discussing how those massive crane operators on building sites stay in the cab all day. Do you think you can buy a proper piss jug for your car?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hbag posted:

i think he said earlier it's because the management don't want people not connecting their mattress to the wifi (lol)

the bed has loving drm

Lmao love to have a bed that’s useless if the power goes out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Big Tech please make more products that actively hate the end user

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can't wait for my bed to get locked with ransomware and make me pay 5 BTC or it'll send my loving history to my wife

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I learned from Battlestar Galactica that networking your computers increases vulnerability to cyber attack.

I resolutely avoid IOT stuff because of this.

Also I sleep better on a 40 dollar cot than my $1500 purple mattress, lol.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

at the height of my crack addiction i was in a similar situation and it was loving sick tbh

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Vim Fuego posted:

I could honestly leave Monday morning but I go out for work Sunday evening to beat the Monday morning rush hour and go home fridays.

I did this after one month into my role. Instead of spending $500 a month on gas and wasting over 40 hours of commuting, I save more money and gain more sleep. (Spend an average of $180 on gas and 8-10 hours of commuting a month now)

I also did this because my worksite provides a gym, shower and food which I also saw as an opportunity. Just imagine yourself in my situation and think about how much YOU can save.

Where do you piss at night and why is it different when you piss on the curb vs the average unhoused person?

You are spending the majority of your life at work at this point, and the obsession over 500 bux in gas tells me they are not paying you enough to make up for that loss in work life balance. The way I look at it you aren't saving any commute time, you are just trading in ALL of your personal time during the week to the office for very little gain. I'm not cyberstalking you to find out what you home life is like but I would venture a guess that something unpleasant is happening to encourage you to act like an urchin and think this is some kind of neat shortcut to life.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I worked with a guy who actually did sleep at his desk quite a bit and acted like it was a big badge of honor. Our office building was attached to a fitness center with showers and stuff, he'd head over there and clean up and then sleep in his office. I think he was actually having a lot of problems at home, though, and this was his way of disguising that. But it came across as way more pathetic than him just admitting he was sleeping at a hotel or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's fascinating that the people who have been driven to these extremes seem to always think that they've mastered a superior way of life or unlocked an amazing productivity/efficiency shortcut, instead of realizing that they're wage slaves who've chained themselves to the yoke willingly.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

I also did this because my worksite provides a gym, shower and food which I also saw as an opportunity. Just imagine yourself in my situation and think about how much YOU can save.

This thread is loving hilarious, thanks Vim.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

McSpanky posted:

Can't wait for my bed to get locked with ransomware and make me pay 5 BTC or it'll send my loving history to my wife

fuckinghistory.csv file size: 0kb

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

In the osha thread they were discussing how those massive crane operators on building sites stay in the cab all day. Do you think you can buy a proper piss jug for your car?

OP you should quit your job and launch your own startup to develop a bluetooth enabled piss jug

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've sometime have restless nights where I'm halfway between awake and asleep and I dream about searching through firewall logs for VPN issues because in my dream logic, sleep is impossible if my connection to the datacentre is down.
This product is a waking nightmare.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

the holy poopacy posted:

OP you should quit your job and launch your own startup to develop a bluetooth enabled piss jug

Yeah, but there's actually some use to that idea. Track things like pH, ketone levels, hormonal imbalances, etc and network directly to your doctor under strict HIPAA.

In reality it would be used by conservatives to identify trans people and make sure no abortions go unnoticed.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

It's fascinating that the people who have been driven to these extremes seem to always think that they've mastered a superior way of life or unlocked an amazing productivity/efficiency shortcut, instead of realizing that they're wage slaves who've chained themselves to the yoke willingly.

It's a combination of engineer brain and self loathing. Some people just need to have a friend or co-worker sit down with them and assure them that it's OK to sleep in a bed and eat people food. You don't need to start a polyphasic sleep cycle and drink Soylent.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Weird OP has not responded about their home living situation - renting? living with parents? family?

I feel like they are just holding back, and will soon claim to have two kids at home to keep the bit going.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Twist, OP will have 2 grown kids at home that make more

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

pixaal posted:

Twist, OP will have 2 grown kids at home that make more

OP's large adult sons not sleeping in a WRX smdh

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What if your car gets stolen while you're asleep in the trunk?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Why do people do this to themselves? Weaver at least had a whole RV back in the day. Ain’t worth it, OP.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dick Fontaine posted:

Why do people do this to themselves? Weaver at least had a whole RV back in the day. Ain’t worth it, OP.

Oh yeah OP? You ever think about the fact that he's saving 40 hours a month commuting? That's 40 extra hours, nearly 2 full days, to sleep in his car, EVERY MONTH.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anything to get away from the ol’ ball and chain amiright? :elon:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think showing your boss your car trunk bedroom would be a good way to convince them of the necessity of remote work.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think showing your boss your car trunk bedroom would be a good way to convince them of the necessity of remote work.

lmfao no it wouldn't, they'd give you a thumbs up for hustle and then ask if you'd maybe be open to having your health insurance plan trimmed a bit

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Charles Bukowski posted:

You'll guarantee everyone else in the office has to sleep in their trunk.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A Fancy Hat posted:

You'll guarantee everyone else in the office has to sleep in their trunk.

Think of the money they’ll save!

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

If this was a true IoT device that really wanted to be a market leader in the gently caress bed industry, they should just put the loving mattress on LTE or have it as a backup and cache the last 7 days of sleep data so when it phones home it can just sync and settle the new data.

Also living in your car to save money on gas when you have a family at home is a new level of fuckery. I’m guessing OPs work doesn’t know he does this.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

How much for the IoT mattress service plan that publishes on all social media platforms me having magnum sized sex daily or sometimes twice per day, every day?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Has anyone with a long commute actually considered a pet for the car? I’m thinking a snake or dual (akimbo) Guinea pigs?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

You could do that, make it like the IOT vibrators and revolutionize teledildonics.

"Teledildonics" was coined in 1991. I remember teaching my friends the word in middle school so we could giggle about it. Can we all take a moment to appreciate that it came true?

hbag posted:

the bed has loving drm

R.E.M. DRM

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Dixville posted:

This thread loving rules

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
OP does your boss know where you sleep during the week? What do they think? If they don't know, why haven't you told them?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
How the gently caress do you take a job that has a 40 hour weekly commute? You are commuting nearly 4 hours every morning and evening? Why don't you move or do something to unfuck your life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Grip it and rip it posted:

How the gently caress do you take a job that has a 40 hour weekly commute? You are commuting nearly 4 hours every morning and evening? Why don't you move or do something to unfuck your life?

Per month.
Not per week.
(Allegedly)