Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They upped the amount of rewards for the free and paid battlepass for season 2.

Free:

Premium:

Feel like I should get season 2 for free given how bare bones the first one was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I see the celebrated blizzard art team is not working on Season 2 of D4 because both S1 and S2 have garbage transmogs. Them all being the same basically ruins it and any identity.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the love for d2r seems almost entirely nostalgia driven

as someone who never played d2 in its prime, i lasted about 40 minutes in d2r before i uninstalled it and never looked back

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kumba posted:

as someone who never played d2 in its prime, i lasted about 40 minutes in d2r before i uninstalled it and never looked back

No I don’t think it seems like that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like when people try to dismiss good opinions of old games they tend to go for the “rose tinted glasses” argument but that doesn’t really work when people are picking it up and actually playing it long-term now. Face it, Diablo 2’s got the goods.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Even if you're playing hardcore solo, D2 has been a solved game for like 20 years. There is a set pathway through some very powerful early game runewords that will completely carry you through to Hell difficulty, and as long as you're willing to burn a respec and know how immunities work, then Hell is pretty drat easy, too.
See that's the worst thing about D2 to me. If it's really just a case of 'there is one correct set of powers / upgrades / gear to use,' then the game is boring. A mildly competently programmed macro could play it better than we ever could. And it also reduces all the other options to traps seemingly designed to get players to play it 'wrong?'

D4 kind of has this problem with some classes as well, where there are 4 or 5 powers intended for each button, but with (for example) necro, why would you bother with any of the other powers when Bone Spear can pretty much one-shot bosses?

Half the fun sub-50 (at least for me) was trying out different powers, seeing how they work together, finding combos and synchronicities, and having different powers for different situations. Switching my build up to try the different themes and mechanics.

And then post 50 if you want to survive you need to follow a build guide and do the exact same loop over and over. All the classes are reduced to 'spam basic attack until you have enough resource to use a core, and then everything else is on cooldown.' Even something like Sorceror where they clearly intended it to be a ranged class ends up being basically close range thanks to frost nova.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Lord Packinham posted:

I see the celebrated blizzard art team is not working on Season 2 of D4 because both S1 and S2 have garbage transmogs. Them all being the same basically ruins it and any identity.

Are we looking at the same things? Those s2 mogs are miles ahead of s1

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of the new paid emotes being able to spawn a chair out of nowhere is destroying my immersion. Are portals to the chair dimension canon now Blizz?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's weird to me that emotes are even a thing considering how rarely you see other players. Maybe zooming by in town every once in awhile and I guess the 1-3 minutes before a world boss?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EC posted:

It's weird to me that emotes are even a thing considering how rarely you see other players. Maybe zooming by in town every once in awhile and I guess the 1-3 minutes before a world boss?

They’re a thing that people pay for in other games with a battlepass therefore our game with a battlepass must have them!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EC posted:

If folks want to pay for them, let them. It costs Blizzard very little to offer them.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It costs being too zoomed in, a price beyond compare

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

See that's the worst thing about D2 to me. If it's really just a case of 'there is one correct set of powers / upgrades / gear to use,' then the game is boring. A mildly competently programmed macro could play it better than we ever could. And it also reduces all the other options to traps seemingly designed to get players to play it 'wrong?'

Yeah, nah. D2 as released definitely had things it wasn't worth speccing into, but D2R you'd have to work hard specifically to make a dead-end build. Obviously you can't make everything perfectly balanced and there are going to be powers that are suboptimal if all you want to do is speedrun, but not speedrunning to 100 isn't playing it 'wrong' and you can get there with pretty much any reasonable build.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

kumba posted:

Could you please put together a spreadsheet of qualities that we are allowed to judge a game by? Once you do link it here, and I will review & alter how I view video games based on your tastes.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

D4 kind of has this problem with some classes as well, where there are 4 or 5 powers intended for each button, but with (for example) necro, why would you bother with any of the other powers when Bone Spear can pretty much one-shot bosses?

Half the fun sub-50 (at least for me) was trying out different powers, seeing how they work together, finding combos and synchronicities, and having different powers for different situations. Switching my build up to try the different themes and mechanics.

And then post 50 if you want to survive you need to follow a build guide and do the exact same loop over and over. All the classes are reduced to 'spam basic attack until you have enough resource to use a core, and then everything else is on cooldown.' Even something like Sorceror where they clearly intended it to be a ranged class ends up being basically close range thanks to frost nova.

There's always going to be a Best Build, but there's definitely not "one correct build" for D2. I've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty with a ton of different builds/classes over the years.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fair enough. I played a sorceror and abused the hell out of frost armour, but only really played the campaign on the lowest difficulty.

One thing that is definitely better in D4 is being able to constantly respec and tweak individual points, I can't imagine how much of a ballache the game would be if you only had one free respec per difficulty tier.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As long as those builds/classes don’t use elemental damage.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Everybody agrees elemental immunes were a direct flaw and they vanished from the genre after D2. Ideally. If any snuck into another arpg that is a mistake.

I want to clarify something. Yes, D2 is primitive. That's undeniable. It isn't going to have the laser honed dopamine loop set up like D3 eventually made a sign of the modern arpg. Of course it still has good loops, D2 basically created arpg standards, but it is old. You can't hop on and think "heh, time to be blown away by the legendary D2." It is outclassed by at least two direct spiritual successors as is. You're a bit late to the party. D2R does some QoL polish, loot and skill rebalancing and a graphics update. There's the hellzones too I guess but otherwise it's the same game.

In the same way you can play Mario 1, 2, 3, World, etc and still have a good time, in the same way Doom 2 and Blood 1 can throw hands with modern FPS, Diablo 2 still has timeless appeal. If it doesn't hook you in then ok, oh well, move on. But imagine D2 hitting when you only had D1 and other obscure imitators to base your arpg experiences off of. Then it hangs on and is still fun to play today. Why does it have to be purely nostalgia? You wouldn't say timeless movies and books age past the superficial(i.e. CGI in movies), right? Who wants to watch Alien these days? Reading Lord of the Rings? Nostalgia much? Please set this idea aside.

And fwiw even back in the day you could take subpar builds into Hell. Teleporting Cold Sorceress is an easier, optimized time of it but where do you think I got my love of Druid, the clunkiest class, from?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I think its funny my bone necro in d2 has twice as many active skills as the bone necro I played in d4.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

soscannonballs posted:

I think its funny my bone necro in d2 has twice as many active skills as the bone necro I played in d4.

I loved one point wonder curses.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Lord Packinham posted:

They save all their good art for the item store. There are some cool stuff in there but they can gently caress off asking $20 for one class set lmao

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

They upped the amount of rewards for the free and paid battlepass for season 2.

Free:

Premium:

ah, that's real fuckin cool I had my only free pass used last season because they made it the biggest and most attractive button on the screen, with no confirmations

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

kumba posted:

d2 was so good that they were able to produce 3 failed games from the same series in a row and have better sales and more suckers each time. d4's marketing was literally "we're going back to d2 fellas"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tonetta posted:

ah, that's real fuckin cool I had my only free pass used last season because they made it the biggest and most attractive button on the screen, with no confirmations
Owned idiot.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Phanatic posted:

And I think that when you die in D2 it's usually because you hosed up. You overextended yourself a bit, got surrounded and burned down after you ran out of rejuv pots, and if you had been a bit more careful or skillful you wouldn't have died. Not because a corpse bow sniped you from offscreen or you got CCed to death (Duriel excepted).

*gets instantly deleted by a mana burn that deals 256x intended damage*

D2 is so full of bullshit oneshot kills for new players that D4 corpse bows are total baby mode

Unless you really know where to be careful, you'll get ganked by walking into cathedral door without seeing a huge afflicted pack behind it, the lightning dung beetles, manaburn ghosts, stygian dolls, elemental enchanted elites, iron maiden curse, burning souls offscreen spam, just to name a few

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tokubetsu posted:

They save all their good art for the item store. There are some cool stuff in there but they can gently caress off asking $20 for one class set lmao

This isn’t true for Necro at least but I never did find a good ingame costume for my sorceress. Too many weird crowns and I don’t get that aesthetic at all.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

d2 is bad because it keeps reviving in the d4 thread

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mana burn was fixed in d2r and ES builds are viable now

in fact if you get a bunch of -flat damage gear an ES build can be practically invincible

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Tiny Timbs posted:

This isn’t true for Necro at least but I never did find a good ingame costume for my sorceress. Too many weird crowns and I don’t get that aesthetic at all.

Really? Necro ones seem to be consistently the coolest to me. The lilith set they had in the shop was cool across the board and I liked a barb "injured and bloody" set they had. Most of the rogue and sorc sets seemed lame though. In the end I guess it really is just a subjective thing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

victrix posted:

Revives ok in d2 but don't rely on it as a primary skill. Skeletons are better in most cases. Revived blunderbore type enemies have crushing blow and do make effective boss killers capable of beating Ubers. Especially combined with teleport.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

the assassin was more fun to play than the rogue imo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

victrix posted:

The devs took a lot of fun out of mocking D4 by actually delivering in their stream. :shobon:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doomykins posted:

The devs took a lot of fun out of mocking D4 by actually delivering in their stream. :shobon:
I have not been paying much attention - is S2 really looking that good? I saw something about levelling faster and more endgame content (something convoluted like having to grind materials to build a portal to Duriel so you can fight him to get a guaranteed unique or something like that) but otherwise have not seen much solid news.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

the assassin was more fun to play than the rogue imo

Yeah the traps in D4 fuckin' suck in comparison, I must say. I also need to try out more of the ranged options for Rogue but I'm not about to respec / re-gear at this point and I'll probably be focusing on a couple of the other classes next season, so who knows when I'll get the time to give it a whirl.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah the traps in D4 fuckin' suck in comparison, I must say. I also need to try out more of the ranged options for Rogue but I'm not about to respec / re-gear at this point and I'll probably be focusing on a couple of the other classes next season, so who knows when I'll get the time to give it a whirl.

Deathtrap is one of the best Rogue builds and owns. The poison one with knockdown is extremely good as well. I rarely touch the others, though.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i hope season 2 brings more people back. it’s a real pain trying to find information about stuff in season 1. like that one heart that says it suppresses 20% of damage or whatever. does it just prevent 20% outright? does it stack with some or all of the other kinds of DR? if so, which and multiplicatively or additively?

adopting a keyword thing like PoE where a word like ‘add’ always means additive or whatever would also help that i suppose, but in lieu of that, lots of engaged people lead to things like populated wikis and vids with testing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have not been paying much attention - is S2 really looking that good? I saw something about levelling faster and more endgame content (something convoluted like having to grind materials to build a portal to Duriel so you can fight him to get a guaranteed unique or something like that) but otherwise have not seen much solid news.

We were losing our poo poo like it was Reaper of Souls all over again. It's not often you see devs say "Hey, we're removing all the bad things and implementing all the good things!" with a straight face or without some bullshit about sticking to their guns because of their vision(that every player is complaining about and hates.)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The actual seasonal content is looking worryingly similar to S1 in a lot of ways: a new boss, a new system to replace hearts that's not gear related this time but is basically just another set of equippable passives that we'll have access to for a season. It is also adding a new helltide type thing called blood harvest(?) that will be available from the moment you make a character and rotates through zones without downtime. Good way to level if you like open world stuff, might be the best way to level depending on density and respawns, might be enough to make this season feel better than last.

The stream was overall pretty well received because it came with a bunch of QoL stuff that was a mix of things we knew were coming (gems as currency, mount improvements, renown carry over) and some things we didn't (XP boosts are multiplicative, monster XP scaling better in endgame, item level scaling to end game). They're also adding a boss tied to each endgame activity, each of which will drop a specific subset of uniques, and another uber boss (Duriel) that will drop the super rare uniques.

The slightly cynical way to look at it is that a lot of this stuff should have been there at launch. But the game is what it is and this is all stuff that will make the game better with more options for levelling and endgame so if you already own it I expect it will be worth a try.

There's a class balance and itemisation stream tomorrow and it would be real weird to make people happy with stream 1 and then piss them off with stream 2 weeks before the new season starts, so it seems reasonable to expect mostly good news. Vulnerable damage might get hit again but I would expect corresponding buffs to other things given how it went down last time.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 9, 2023

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Deathtrap is one of the best Rogue builds and owns. The poison one with knockdown is extremely good as well. I rarely touch the others, though.

They're *good*, just not very fun / satisfying to use compared to the D2 ones where you're zooming around like the Unabomber throwing handfuls of corpse-explosion pipe bombs in every open doorway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We won't know if S2 will be any good until we hear about the classes and stat changes tomorrow. So far, looks good, but they could really screw it up with bad class decisions.