Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Toaster Beef posted:

I think it's Niners then Dolphins/Chiefs/Eagles/Lions.

I'm a little worried that the Lions could maybe be in the "they ain't played nobody Pawwwwl" tier. The Falcons and Packers are OK and the Panthers are the worst team in the league. Squeaking by the Chiefs like they did is huge and the vibe around this team would be so much different without that win.

Next two weeks are @TB coming off of a bye and @BAL who I think are better than yesterday would indicate, we'll learn a lot about Detroit then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The Steelers have been outgained in every game (by a combined total of over 600 yards). They're 3-2 and leading their division. This trend will obviously continue. A team of destiny.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

NieR Occomata posted:

It is insane to me that Purdy has the doubters he does and the constant excuses and justifications for how his game isn’t legitimate or whatever because, and solely because, he was drafted 262.

Like, what more does he have to do to prove he’s legit as hell? He literally hasn’t lost a regular season game he’s started.

It's going to unfairly follow him until he isn't a) in an incredible scheme while b) surrounded by unbelievable talent. I feel like the more pertinent question to ask is: As long as he keeps winning, who cares? If he's the real deal (I sure as hell think he is), we'll know it for sure when the core talent starts departing or falling off. But if he has a Super Bowl to his name by then, everybody else can just get stuffed.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The Steelers have been outgained in every game (by a combined total of over 600 yards). They're 3-2 and leading their division. This trend will obviously continue. A team of destiny.

The Steelers are so infuriating to root against. They just poo poo the bed, then the other team shits the bed even harder.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Incredible that the refs saved the Chiefs in the 4th quarter again. The NFL caste system is real.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

vikings were never gonna beat the chiefs

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Turdfuzz posted:

Justin Jefferson’s hamstring getting tweaked by the turf monster after it failed to fell Kelce didn’t help.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
What happened to Mac Jones? I vaguely recall him having a good rookie year, but was that just weird Josh McDaniels Patriot dark magic?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

nikosoft posted:

What happened to Mac Jones? I vaguely recall him having a good rookie year, but was that just weird Josh McDaniels Patriot dark magic?

Destroyed confidence. He was even mostly fine weeks 1-2, but he's seeing ghosts, panicking (deservedly, our OL sucks poo poo), and throwing the ball like it's a live grenade. He's cooked, offense is dead, game over.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Plenty of bad players have 8-10 good games in their careers, Mac just had them all in a row his rookie year

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Purdy becoming the next Tom Brady would be funny as poo poo if he wasn't already on a storied franchise.

Do you think he sits at his locker saying "Mr. Irrelevant" to a mirror as motivation like Tom kept the mantra "6th round draft pick" going?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

nikosoft posted:

There hasn't been a good QB named Jones since Bert.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Purdy becoming the next Tom Brady would be funny as poo poo if he wasn't already on a storied franchise.

Do you think he sits at his locker saying "Mr. Irrelevant" to a mirror as motivation like Tom kept the mantra "6th round draft pick" going?

Nah, it's still funny just for the series of absurd things that had to occur for him to be in this position.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

Weird poo poo happens in Pittsburgh.

No. No no no no no a thousand times no. This had nothing to do with "being in Pittsburgh" and everything to do with this team being one of the dumbest in football. We havent even loving played a good team yet.

Last year through the first half of the season we had 10 point leads in every single game and lost like five of them. No other team that did that ever lost more than a single one. This was another 10 point lead, against a bad team, and we blew it.

This is a pattern with this team. Not some freak thing that happened once or even twice.

I knew that if we blew this we'd hear all these excuses like "oh ravens steelers is always close" "oh we're still ok" and so on. We constantly are losing games in the stupidest ways to teams we should be beating like the Giants, Jaguars, Colts and Steelers. Untimely fumbles and interceptions. Inexplicable playcalling with worse execution. It never stops under Dunce.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

C-Euro posted:

I'm a little worried that the Lions could maybe be in the "they ain't played nobody Pawwwwl" tier. The Falcons and Packers are OK and the Panthers are the worst team in the league. Squeaking by the Chiefs like they did is huge and the vibe around this team would be so much different without that win.

Next two weeks are @TB coming off of a bye and @BAL who I think are better than yesterday would indicate, we'll learn a lot about Detroit then.

To be honest I don’t think the chiefs as they are now are very good either

The only game they looked impressive was when they creamed a bears team that had just lost their D coordinator to something that even now is pretty vague

Don’t get that every week

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Turdfuzz posted:

lol this is such horseshit

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Making it back home for the last half of Cowboys v 49ers was a wonderful capper to a great day.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

No. No no no no no a thousand times no. This had nothing to do with "being in Pittsburgh" and everything to do with this team being one of the dumbest in football. We havent even loving played a good team yet.

Last year through the first half of the season we had 10 point leads in every single game and lost like five of them. No other team that did that ever lost more than a single one. This was another 10 point lead, against a bad team, and we blew it.

This is a pattern with this team. Not some freak thing that happened once or even twice.

I knew that if we blew this we'd hear all these excuses like "oh ravens steelers is always close" "oh we're still ok" and so on. We constantly are losing games in the stupidest ways to teams we should be beating like the Giants, Jaguars, Colts and Steelers. Untimely fumbles and interceptions. Inexplicable playcalling with worse execution. It never stops under Dunce.

jesus christ just hush

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Personally I'd much, much rather be dumb and sometimes lose in stupid ways than have an offense or defense that fundamentally doesn't work. The Ravens COULD have made yesterday a laugher if some guys catch passes and maybe Justice Hill doesn't fumble again. They have time to clean it up.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

AndrewP posted:

Personally I'd much, much rather be dumb and sometimes lose in stupid ways than have an offense or defense that fundamentally doesn't work. The Ravens COULD have made yesterday a laugher if some guys catch passes and maybe Justice Hill doesn't fumble again. They have time to clean it up.

The most annoying thing yesterday was Hill inexplicably cutting back inside when it looked like he had room to run on the left. That took him right into the defender that was able to punch the ball out. It was like he started feeling himself a little too much with all of the acrobatics earlier and he tried to do the Cool Thing instead of the right one.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

jesus christ just hush

No.

And about Hill yes thats twice now we've had a crucial fumble on a play where we were taking control of the game.

These ball carriers have got to be more situationally aware and understand that when teams are on the ropes they are going to be looking for punchouts etc more than even usual. We just are not able to take control of games

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 9, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kawalimus are you willing to go as far as I am as to say "the SB window for the Harbaugh/Lamar era Ravens has shut"?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Freaquency posted:

The most annoying thing yesterday was Hill inexplicably cutting back inside when it looked like he had room to run on the left. That took him right into the defender that was able to punch the ball out. It was like he started feeling himself a little too much with all of the acrobatics earlier and he tried to do the Cool Thing instead of the right one.

Lol I thought the exact same thing, total heat check

Justice Hill is so frustrating because this fumbling poo poo is a clear Problem with him, but he's also really good so you just have to play him and hope he holds on

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Kawalimus are you willing to go as far as I am as to say "the SB window for the Harbaugh/Lamar era Ravens has shut"?

No, because I still think theres a chance this team could turn it around this year. Remember 2019 we looked rotten in our loss to Cleveland then won the next 14 straight. I dont think that specifically will happen but I do think the talent is still there to win the division and get to at least the divisional round or the conference.

That said, if we miss the playoffs they have to get rid of Harbaugh. The dude will have lost the locker room. You might even justify getting rid of him if we go one and done in the playoffs. At that point yes the window is closed.

Window seemed closed in 2012 also but we slipped in right at the last moment. But it is closing.

Id be less drat annoyed if I thought the window was actually shut :D

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Adam Gase-tier by the Patriots offense. Matt Patricia as scapegoat may have been misguided.
https://twitter.com/bostonsportsinf/status/1711388448878133673?s=20

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Very AFC East dominated list

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm the unlikely event the Ravens do miss the playoffs while the offense and defense continue to look schematically great, upgrading MacDonald to HC seems like a reasonable option. The dude knows ball and gets the best out of his players.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's funny, I'm a Niners fan and forgot all about the Lance trade. Is Rush a guy who might be able to start eventually?
Rush is firmly one of those guys that won't lose games but won't win them either and his advanced stats kinda back that up. Solid QB2 but that's it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Diva Cupcake posted:

Adam Gase-tier by the Patriots offense. Matt Patricia as scapegoat may have been misguided.
https://twitter.com/bostonsportsinf/status/1711388448878133673?s=20

The OL was merely just "bad" last year instead of dogshit garbage this year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's funny, I'm a Niners fan and forgot all about the Lance trade. Is Rush a guy who might be able to start eventually?

It's very funny in retrospect that the 9ers hosed up as badly in the 2021 draft as they did and it's pretty much a nothing speedbump.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

The Virgin “The refs and NFL hate my team” vs. The Chad “All NFL officiating is terrible”

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Refs are bad

https://twitter.com/VisionaryDigMar...s1_c10&ref_url=

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dr_Strangelove posted:

The Virgin “The refs and NFL hate my team” vs. The Chad “All NFL officiating is terrible”

It's all terrible but there is also a reason why the Jets haven't gotten a roughing the passer call since the Obama administration and other teams have the refs win games for them every week.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm just posting this because each drop one after another is actually pretty funny

e: wtf it's not even an NFL Video, it's literally unlisted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXVnFHV6ms

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nah, it's still funny just for the series of absurd things that had to occur for him to be in this position.

Yeah, I’m not even a Niners fan and a dude coming off the bench due to the second-stringer getting hurt two weeks after #3 overall getting hurt and immediately and emphatically solidifying his hold on the starter spot is legit nuts. Purdy is legit the best feel-good story in the NFL, either him or Kurt Warner.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Rashod Bateman bums me out. He was a terrific prospect that flashed the ability to be a low grade Justin Jefferson. That potential has all but evaporated in the face of injuries and negative development due to time away from football. Right now his ceiling seems like quality #3 WR. Probably for a team other than the Ravens.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Everything should be challengeable. Every call and every no-call. And every time you catch the refs out on either a missed or bullshit penalty, you get a bonus time out.

It's the only way they'll learn.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't know if I'm ready for the Niners to take over as the new unstoppable steamroller dynasty before the Chiefs are even done assuming the villain role yet.

Yet it appears to be upon us, nonetheless.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It's all terrible but there is also a reason why the Jets haven't gotten a roughing the passer call since the Obama administration and other teams have the refs win games for them every week.

It's because the NFL sends out an annual memo that says, "hey, make sure to screw over the Jets this year" or…?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zwabu posted:

I don't know if I'm ready for the Niners to take over as the new unstoppable steamroller dynasty before the Chiefs are even done assuming the villain role yet.

Yet it appears to be upon us, nonetheless.
Their roster is peaking at a good time when they have a good QB on a (remarkably, holy moly) cheap contract and they have veterans across the team in their primes. Next year a bunch of contracts start to balloon so between that, having to pay Purdy after next year, and the long term effects of trading three firsts and a third for a fourth... 2025 could be a hard year for the 9ers. We'll see though, because they've been good and competitive for pretty much the whole time they have had Shanny at the helm.

fsif posted:

It's because the NFL sends out an annual memo that says, "hey, make sure to screw over the Jets this year" or…?
No its because of the same reason why Cam Newton never got roughing the passer calls (okay maybe not THE SAME, because racism) - premiere players get preferential treatment. Tom Brady used to draw roughing the passer calls when a DE's pinky grazed his helmet but if a nobody like Zach Wilson or Blake Bortles gets completely blown up or his head torn off .... no flag.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mcmagic posted:

https://www.nflpenalties.com/game/cleveland-browns-at-new-york-jets-09-16-2019