Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

It's like they're two years behind on this poo poo or something. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is probably something that got the go-ahead in 2021 but these big companies are such lumbering behemoths it took this long to come to fruition

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Next Build should go all in on the OAV that was Precure parody and make it the full series. Added bonus they can go retro with MS girl designs

Mika Akitaka is supposedly going to be continuing her MS Girls NOTE series once Gundam Official finishes reposting the pages she had already done for the old Yatate site sometime early next year

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Thanks to Metaverse making me smile, I went and rewatched all the Build openings. Merely thinking about the original Build Fighters still brings so many good memories, what a great show. Try wasn't as good, but I can't say I don't miss Yuuma and Fumina, and it had some great minor cast members like Minato. If Sekai wasn't around, I feel Try could've been nearly if not just as good as the original.

Then I got to Build Divers and there's no saving that one, it only reminds of how somehow it had three entire characters that had no personality whatsoever including the lead and his love interest (and the orange guy, why was he even around? Metaverse even explicitly writes him out). But it's followed by Re:Rise and Re:Rise is still excellent, I remembered all about it and still wonder how the hell it was so good, it feels like the kind of show you can't explain without it sounding absolutely terrible.

Build really needs to go balls-to-the-wall and do things no one would ever want Gundam to. Build Fighters sounded like a terrible cashgrab and Re:Rise is an isekai and suddenly very serious in a chill series about playing with toys? The best of the lot. Try follows Build Fighters and Build Divers is a logical update of the setting? Much worse. Next Build series needs to pitch the absolute worst plot you could ever dream about, it'll be the best show in history.

Agreed. Try would be salvageable if you erased Sekai and the total adulation literally ever antagonist had for him. Divers... Divers is a near-total failure top-to-bottom beyond the mecha design and Magee. It commits the fatal flaw of being boring, because even a bad attempt like Try is at least trying and even succeeds once or twice (The Idol race episode and the Try On 3 fight).

ReRise works because it got handed an existing setting that sucked, glanced over the series bible briefly for anything useful to tie into what it had planned, and proceeded to shove the rest in the bin to tell its own story.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I still maintain that Sekai would have been a fantastic character if he was not the protagonist and the world did not revolve around him. Reiji already proved that "meathead jock who doesn't understand Gundam but is naturally awesome at gunpla battle" is a niche that can work very well, and Sekai can keep that formula fresh with the ludicrous and awesome concept of gunpla martial arts. He's just abysmally terrible at carrying the show as a focus.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sekai needed an arc. Even something simple like he loves martial arts so much he keeps getting into trouble for fighting, but then he discovers Gunpla Battle which lets him fight as much as he wants!

There also should have been some humor about this weird martial arts savant getting into Gundam. Like he sees Dozle and immediately declares that the show should be about him because he's clearly the strongest character, or something. Instead all we got is that one scene of him and Fumina singing Anime Ja Nai implying that he's watching Gundam offscreen and likes it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHguSUBypaw

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

I still maintain that Sekai would have been a fantastic character if he was not the protagonist and the world did not revolve around him. Reiji already proved that "meathead jock who doesn't understand Gundam but is naturally awesome at gunpla battle" is a niche that can work very well, and Sekai can keep that formula fresh with the ludicrous and awesome concept of gunpla martial arts. He's just abysmally terrible at carrying the show as a focus.

The show could never be notably different whether or not Sekai existed so long as the same writing and directing team remained in charge, because they'd just have done the same thing with Fumina or whoever else. As is, Sekai absolutely could be an interesting character so long as you actually did something interesting with him. The show didn't, but that doesn't mean it's impossible or anything. I like to imagine a version of Try where Sekai basically invents a new style of Gunpla fighting by concentrating on martial arts, using traditional attacks at first, then realizing that Gunpla don't need to move like humans just because they're built to resemble them, then that plastics have different weaknesses and tolerances to flesh ala that one SRW character who uses mecha martial arts and finally just aping Sei and working with Fumina and/or the other guy to create magical attacks using Plavsky Particles, rather than them being something he can just do from the start.

I also think that Sekai, not Fumina, should have been the one with an SD Gunpla, or at least, SD elements or one that transformed between SD form and regular form; perhaps with the SD form initially being a range option and the regular form going all in on Gunpla martial arts, just because I think the large, expressive eyes of an SD suit Sekai's personality far more. If you allowed the animation to shift the face around a bit mid-battle using Plavsky magic of some sort it could be a great way to show his character mid-battle. The show already had him build an SD in the third or fourth episode, so have that inspire him to include an SD form because he liked it so much, and then start incorporating the more expressive SD head into his otherwise normal gunpla or something. Hell, we know he got into the shows due to him singing "Anime Ja Nai" with Fumina, so differentiate him by having him like some of the SD stuff more than the original shows because they delve into fantasy rather than sci-fi and he likes that more or something.

Then don't just have Sekai start using martial arts that actually targets the specific weaknesses of Gunpla and like SD stuff, but let him start getting creative and weird in various ways. Maybe he insists on using cloth capes on his unit even though a stiff plastic one would be better from a defensive point of view, and his team-mates find some way to make that cloth ape the beam negation of the Crossbone anti-beam cloaks. Or he wants to give his unit spindly limbs that are more agile despite being physically weaker. Or he turns up with a gi from a similarly sized toy on his Gunpla, even though it adds absolutely nothing beyond him thinking it looks cool.

If Sekai invented Gunpla martial arts it'd also give a more compelling raison d'etre to his fellow martial arts student, since that guy could initially see it as a waste of time that he's going to want to drag Sekai away from and back into the world of real martial arts before realizing the fun of Gunpla ala Nils in the original show or something. Rather than just wanting to learn an ultimate technique or whatever his actual character was in the show. Simon's loss would also be more compelling if, despite being a great fighter even using a snapbuilt unit, he lost because Sekai was able to target his Gunpla in ways he'd never think of because he's just transposing boxing 1:1 into Gunpla or something.

The show's main problem was not Sekai himself, it was in the insistence of the writer/director in having everything and everyone revolve around him. Which is not a trait inherent to the character or his archetype. You can do that with any character, and there are lots of anime and manga that do similar things with far different characters. It's not even the show's only huge issue, because the insistence of the show on being about 3 person teams also caused major headaches, since the writing often just established one character in a team and had the others basically fade into the background both during establishing scenes and during the fights themselves; making the entire conceit feel kind of pointless. A large part of the success of the original was that shrinking most battles to 1 on 1 fighs allowed them to be more creative and dynamic due to the focus of writing and budget on a small group, and expanding that to 3 on 3 means it's more costly, harder to give everyone focus and requires some intersection of the different people during battle to justify the decision to use team battles. None of which the show really did well with.

The show would probably have done better to be about teams of 2 rather than 3, and Fumina and the other guy already have several elements of their character in common anyway, as Gunpla enthusiasts who are quite creative in slightly different ways etc. You could just combine them and have that combined character be Sekai's partner far more easily, honestly. Yes, it's harder to differentiate if you do that since the original show had multiple teams of 2, but frankly, so long as the rules are established immediately as dictating both members are active participants, and not just that one is a support/mechanic character then you immediately create a simple difference anyway.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 8, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno, while it's true that the same writing team would have likely made mistakes as well if they had gone in a different direction i can't help but feel like sekai represents a central, core mistake in how to approach the main character for this kind of show. it's not as simple as just not making him the focus character but reverse one or two decisions there and i think the ripple effect that would have on the writing would result in huge improvements.

i think try is a little under-regarded in its fights. many of them were dull due to The Sekai Effect and also the clear struggle with team battle choreography, but it had more good fights than it's credited for. some of the late cour 1 fights are pretty good iirc, and the second cour has some great ones too.

sadly it is a show for babies, and also not well written on top of that, so a collection of decent fights does not make the show worth watching if you are an adult who watches children's cartoons

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 8, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
While it's true that using a different main character may mean "going in a different direction", it is by no means an assured thing and I'd think it's pretty clear that the writing wanted to be about a harem dynamic in terms of character relationships, so replacing Sekai is very unlikely to change that in my opinion. I'm also pretty sure all the good fights in Try were actually 1 on 1's like Sekai v Simon, or essentially 1 on 1's regardless of the existence of other team mates like the Try-On 3 fight.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 8, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

While it's true that using a different main character may mean "going in a different direction", it is by no means an assured thing and I'd think it's pretty clear that the writing wanted to be about a harem dynamic in terms of character relationships, so replacing Sekai is very unlikely to change that in my opinion. I'm also pretty sure all the good fights in Try were actually 1 on 1's like Sekai v Simon, or essentially 1 on 1's regardless of the existence of other team mates like the Try-On 3 fight.

The Megashiki fight was an actual team fight and was one of the high points of the entire show.

I don't think the Simon fight was honestly very good, simply because the conclusion was basically foregone. The resolution to the Simon fight was "Simon fights his heart out but loses entirely because his gunpla is a snapfit built by his kid brother while Sekai had an invincible gunpla built by the world champion dropped into his lap". One of the final attacks of that fight is Simon cleanly grabbing the Build Burning's face and firing a Palma Fiocina into it at point blank and the Build Burning being completely unscathed while the Destiny's arm blows off.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 8, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yuuma's mecha was also wasted in the show, as for your three protagonists two of them got fairly extensive upgrades, and the Lightning Gundam just got a series of backpacks that also functionally all did the same thing in-show.

Sekai also had the issue of writers deciding "He feels what the Gundam feels", which instantly destroyed any chance for him getting a good brutal fight where he could potentially lose.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 8, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

remember when fumina's gundam could transform itself into cool accessories for the boys to fight with

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yuuma's mecha was also wasted in the show, as for your three protagonists two of them got fairly extensive upgrades, and the Lightning Gundam just got a series of backpacks that also functionally all did the same thing in-show.

Sekai also had the issue of writers deciding "He feels what the Gundam feels", which instantly destroyed any chance for him getting a good brutal fight where he could potentially lose.

If it were a more intense show he could have gotten his mid season upgrade after the starter mech was brutally dismembered but Build is way too Playskool to come anywhere near that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

current gundam trends with that kind of plot point would have sekai get progressively crippled by the battles like mika

that would have been pretty wild tonally but probably not a great toy commercial

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

remember when fumina's gundam could transform itself into cool accessories for the boys to fight with

That was good character development because it showed she was being too self-sacrificing to make the team work. That’s why her next upgrade was about making herself stronger, literally making herself the star of winning.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ninjewtsu posted:

current gundam trends with that kind of plot point would have sekai get progressively crippled by the battles like mika

that would have been pretty wild tonally but probably not a great toy commercial

Boxing manga have that plot arc a fair amount, but yeah no way that'd go as a toy commercial.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

That was good character development because it showed she was being too self-sacrificing to make the team work. That’s why her next upgrade was about making herself stronger, literally making herself the star of winning.

it also did not make for exciting fights

i don't recall her being particularly useful in fights after her upgrade either but it's been a while and i am certainly not going back to check

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the tragedy of try is that moment in the first episode when the build burning busts out of the dom is incredibly hype and the show never does anything that cool again

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't recall her being particularly useful in fights after her upgrade either but it's been a while and i am certainly not going back to check

Almost all of the Star Winning's fights consist of either her throwing the shield funnels in front of someone to block a shot or going into real mode to fire the Winning Beam. Oddly, the only actually interesting choreography the mech gets that I remember is her doing a half-transformation to bamboozle and destroy one of the mooks that was hired to team with Sekai's evil rival.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

oh yeah the show is bad. The fact that Fumina has a really good arc in her Gunpla that's largely absent in the show itself is another strike against it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

No it wasn't, it sucked badly after leading with a far cooler custom GM that was a good all-rounder in combat, showcasing how competent Fumina was as both a pilot and builder.

The Winning Gundam was cheap character assassination to ensure Sekai had center-stage in fights, and bumped out either of the other two protagonists from ever being able to be the focus of a fight (Yuuma never had a hope; the Lightning Gundam was codified as a sniper/aerial support fighter from the ground-up).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a U shaped arc, she got worse and then superficially better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, it's a really weird choice, because it decreases the stakes by ramping them up, and in a way that amplifies the issue with him not being able to repair his kits back to spec. If it's purely a mental effect, that's one thing. You can have him power through on RAW GUTS, maybe have an Ashita No Joe homage shot. Sure, it hurts, but if Shinji Ikari can deal with it, you can too. Real damage, though, that just cuts off plots.

Speaking of nerve damage, though, I was just rewatching some IBO fights, and Mikazuki and Gaelio's progression in season 1 is great. Gaelio starts with a Schwalbe Graze and Mikazuki dumpsters him, so he escalates to a Gundam and gives Mika some trouble with his speed, so Mika impales himself to trap Gaelio, before getting knocked back and needing Akihiro to bail him out.

Next round, Mikazuki has armor set up for the Gundam specifically to counter the Kimaris, letting him grab the lance and nearly kill Gaelio. Which makes Gaelio pick an upgrade that has subarms for the lance to let him draw a sword if Mika counters his charge with another grab, giving him the advantage... or it would, if Mikazuki didn't counter that by just decking Gaelio.

Mikazuki's a legitimate genius for combat, even aside from his whiskers and his suicidal focus on the objective. It's a nice little arc to their rivalry, especially because how the last attack we see in season 1 is Mikazuki just punching him out, showing maximum disrespect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jintor_au/status/1711270261553787205?t=0EqSTGECT04xL4lGEeUKbA&s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/mobilesuitmia/status/1711206117538152948?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No it wasn't, it sucked badly after leading with a far cooler custom GM that was a good all-rounder in combat, showcasing how competent Fumina was as both a pilot and builder.

The Winning Gundam was cheap character assassination to ensure Sekai had center-stage in fights, and bumped out either of the other two protagonists from ever being able to be the focus of a fight (Yuuma never had a hope; the Lightning Gundam was codified as a sniper/aerial support fighter from the ground-up).

OK why was the GM Cardigan a good all-rounder? Because Fumina didn't have any teammates and had to do everything by herself. Remember that her primary motivation at the beginning of the show was getting teammates. That's why the Cardigan can do melee, middle range, and long range shooting, and has extra armor so it can take a pounding without being overloaded. It's a balance suit that can fill as many roles as possible. It's also extremely unglamorous, it's a GM.

Then she does get teammates, a melee and a long range specialist. Her dream has been achieved, she finally has a team. So she switches to the Winning Gundam, which is based around making her teammates stronger so they can win. Hence the name. She was the unglamorous GM doing everything by herself, now she's the powerup that helps her teammates get over the line.

But that's a problem, her next Gunpla is the series saying that was a problem. She shouldn't have done that. That's why she switches from being pure support to being, literally, the star. The Star Winning doesn't make her teammates more powerful, it makes Fumina more powerful. That's literally the gimmick, it powers itself up. It's also the flashiest suit on the team with the most attention-grabbing design. Sekai is melee, the other guy is long range, Fumina is the Ace.

It's a very good arc and it's wild to see people criticizing the show specifically for the Winning Gundam when that's literally the point of it, she shouldn't be sacrificing herself for her teammates, her teammates let her shine brightly on her own.

There's a ton to criticize Try for, definitely including it's treatment of Fumina and the team dynamics. But the Winning Gundam was part of the only actual character arc in the whole drat show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

OK why was the GM Cardigan a good all-rounder? Because Fumina didn't have any teammates and had to do everything by herself. Remember that her primary motivation at the beginning of the show was getting teammates. That's why the Cardigan can do melee, middle range, and long range shooting, and has extra armor so it can take a pounding without being overloaded. It's a balance suit that can fill as many roles as possible. It's also extremely unglamorous, it's a GM.

Then she does get teammates, a melee and a long range specialist. Her dream has been achieved, she finally has a team. So she switches to the Winning Gundam, which is based around making her teammates stronger so they can win. Hence the name. She was the unglamorous GM doing everything by herself, now she's the powerup that helps her teammates get over the line.

But that's a problem, her next Gunpla is the series saying that was a problem. She shouldn't have done that. That's why she switches from being pure support to being, literally, the star. The Star Winning doesn't make her teammates more powerful, it makes Fumina more powerful. That's literally the gimmick, it powers itself up. It's also the flashiest suit on the team with the most attention-grabbing design. Sekai is melee, the other guy is long range, Fumina is the Ace.

It's a very good arc and it's wild to see people criticizing the show specifically for the Winning Gundam when that's literally the point of it, she shouldn't be sacrificing herself for her teammates, her teammates let her shine brightly on her own.

There's a ton to criticize Try for, definitely including it's treatment of Fumina and the team dynamics. But the Winning Gundam was part of the only actual character arc in the whole drat show.

The show literally repeatedly calls Sekai the Ace. Fumina is not the Ace. Trying to pretend the show ever implied that when Sekai is both presented through the series combat AND through in-series statements as The Ace is pretty ridiculous.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tbh at the time it came off a lot more like a response to fans saying fumina was boring more than some kind of intentional character arc

i also don't recall that character arc being reflected in her actual, like, character at all aside from the episode where she makes the change.

regardless of if it was bad on accident or on purpose as part of some larger arc i think it's still a point worthy of derision. that it superficially clears the low bar "is a component of an arc, which exists in some conceptual form" i can not say is terribly impressive.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Fumina building the Star Winning is her taking control of the story and becoming the true lead of the team! This is why every other character continues to care solely about overcoming, beating, or simply battling Sekai.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

did fumina step back and let sekai and what's his name be the driving forces behind team decisions early in the show? after the star winning gundam, did she take charge and start making decisions for the team?

honest questions it has been a long time for me and if fumina had an actual character arc that'd be neat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Caphi posted:

Fumina building the Star Winning is her taking control of the story and becoming the true lead of the team! This is why every other character continues to care solely about overcoming, beating, or simply battling Sekai.

The character arc exists in the Gunpla, not in the show.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just remembered there’s a Gunpla Fumina

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The "Gunpla Gi" idea could have been great. There's a lot of great ideas in this post but it stands out because P particles only affect gunpla plastic. So if the gi is cloth or some other material, wouldn't it hinder the movement of the model, making it harder to control? And lets say our protagonist seems to fight just fine despite that, you've got an in-built character takes off his weighted training clothes moment for a big showdown.

There's plenty of other dumb gotchas in there, but the setting runs on a wizard did it anyway.

Oh, and Star Winning was a big nothingburger. Just more of the same for the fake-out female lead who got filtered into the support role for the generic shonen protagonist.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/mon0eye/status/1711356401010848027?s=46

This is certainly a take

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I mean "lovely original lineart can still make a cool model kit" is pretty much true for most SEED designs that got decently engineered kits.
It just isn't the compliment that poster probably intended it as. :v:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 9, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would like to see that gundam in a style other than "SEED style" or "gunpla style"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There used to be a meme floating around that had four or five different robots in "base line art/Obari action pose" comparisons, and that's all that image reminds me of.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The character arc exists in the Gunpla, not in the show.

The Star Winning doesn't really do much "ace" stuff. It spends most of its combat appearances supporting the other two with funnels or firing a big beam once before running out of energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

"It's good 'cause you can fix it. Good luck doing that with the Gurdolin."