Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vandar posted:

All this talk of endings makes me wonder something, so I'll pass this question to all of you:

How do you end The Simpsons?

They've already done more 'flash ahead to see what's happening to everyone in the future' episodes than I can count, so you can't really do that.

How do you end a show that's been around for long, had such a huge impact on pop culture, and is so very long past it's prime?

In the end it's revealed that you, the viewer, were Homer Simpson the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Vandar posted:

To their horror, the characters begin aging at a rate of one year per minute until they reach the ages they would be had they aged normally since the first episode premiered.

Then everybody dissolves into dust, except for homer. He looks directly into the camera, sees the audience, and bursts into uncontrollable tears.

Roll credits.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just do a totally generic episode of the show and then at the end everyone blows up with no explanation.

Also call the episode "[something something] Part One" ans never intend to do a part two.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vandar posted:

All this talk of endings makes me wonder something, so I'll pass this question to all of you:

They've already done more 'flash ahead to see what's happening to everyone in the future' episodes than I can count, so you can't really do that.

How do you end a show that's been around for long, had such a huge impact on pop culture, and is so very long past it's prime?

High Warlord Zog posted:

And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is Homer and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he’ll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, Homer. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, Homer. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'll never know if Star Vs. The Forces of Evil had a good or bad ending because I just stopped caring halfway through the final season. I can't even fully explain why, I just suddenly realized "I don't like any of these characters and I don't care what happens to them". I stopped caring so much I even stopped caring about earlier episodes that I had previously really enjoyed.

It just wasn't fun anymore.

Pretty reasonable. The show has most of its zest in the third season, and kinda just dissolves over time. The ship baiting episodes really drag things down for me because man who cares.

It was weird to decide to go "this monarchy has been bad and based on lies, what we really need is to just switch things over to a different monarch who has no real public support".

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Starts off as a standard The Simpsons episode 10 minutes in a familiar voice says “who even watches this trash anymore” camera zooms out to show Meg Griffin watching The Simpsons. You now recognise it as being Peter’s voice. The entire Family guy cast point and laugh at Meg. And I do mean the entire cast.

Peter and the giant chicken make eye contact queue the remaining 10 min episode being a chicken and Peter fight. The end.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
(At the end of a bog standard episode, the family sits in front of the TV)
Homer: So what happens now?
Marge: What do you mean?
Homer: Something else is gonna happen, right?

(They continue to sit blankly in front of the TV)
(Cut to black)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Or do the Get A Life! ending where Homer falls out a plane, reminisces via clip show for 20 minutes, and then lands safely on a bed in the middle of the street. Which then proceeds to explode, killing him.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Don Hertzfeldt ended The Simpsons a decade ago

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I hope they just pull a Poochie on The Simpsons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pantheon UNF finished rewatching the first season and it's still so good. Super keen for season two.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I liked the ship stuff in Star, I don't know why. So it just got better for me as time went on.

I'd say Last Airbender has a really nice ending. Feels like they got to do what they wanted with it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If we're already talking about kids shows I really liked ATLA's finale too, though I think that's a little controversial.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It wasn't a bad finale at all but I wish we got to see more of Ozai before that episode.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I remember being really disappointed by Teen Titans, something about Terra coming back potentially with amnesia but maybe not, and it mostly just feels like a monster of the week episode by the end. And then I found out that was the series finale.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
yeaaaah and the fans have not let that go when Teen Titans Go was announced.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vandar posted:

This has been a thing my friend and I have genuinely had long talks about.

Honestly I think that Summer of 4'2" would've been the perfect series finale, but that boat's long since sailed. Any beat that could've been used as a good capper has been a plotline: Moving out of Springfield, a flashforward to the future, a wistful episode that resolves the longstanding tension between the characters. I think there's only one way to end it. Homer and Marge move to Quahog, Rhode Island and start a new life

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It wasn't a bad finale at all but I wish we got to see more of Ozai before that episode.

Really? I'm interested in this POV, because I actually thought it was to the shows credit that they recognized that Ozai is not a deep enough character to support a lot of screen time. There's nothing really wrong with these kind of functional characters as long as you treat then as they should, which they did.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mycot posted:

Really? I'm interested in this POV, because I actually thought it was to the shows credit that they recognized that Ozai is not a deep enough character to support a lot of screen time. There's nothing really wrong with these kind of functional characters as long as you treat then as they should, which they did.

I consider it a function of just wanting more evil Mark Hamill which I get.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'll never know if Star Vs. The Forces of Evil had a good or bad ending because I just stopped caring halfway through the final season. I can't even fully explain why, I just suddenly realized "I don't like any of these characters and I don't care what happens to them". I stopped caring so much I even stopped caring about earlier episodes that I had previously really enjoyed.

It just wasn't fun anymore.

This but with Steven Universe. I'm not gonna do a Lily Orchard here but suffice to say I lost all interest by the end of the last season and gave the movie and future a hard pass.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vandar posted:

I think it’s very possible that there will be no warning that it’s being cancelled and it just won’t come back one fall. The network has threatened to can it several times, although not for a few years.

Honestly the show is so far from relevance and so divorced from anyone and anything that made it notable 30 years ago that I don’t know how to bridge the gap between what it was and what it is. How do you do a final strip for Barney Google? You can end Calvin and Hobbes. I don’t know how you end Blondie.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I expect it to keep going until Dan Castellaneta or Nancy Cartwright bite it, at which point we'll probably get a schmaltzy memorial clip show (or something along those lines) and that'll be the end of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harry Shearer is 80 years old. When he dies, 3/4 of Springfield dies.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Fox has 34 seasons of audio to pull from, AI Simpsons will be running forever. God help us all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I expect it to keep going until Dan Castellaneta or Nancy Cartwright bite it, at which point we'll probably get a schmaltzy memorial clip show (or something along those lines) and that'll be the end of it.

Julie Kavner already sounds like she’s at death’s door

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Waffle! posted:

Fox has 34 seasons of audio to pull from, AI Simpsons will be running forever. God help us all.

Hello. Smithers. You’re. Quite. Good. At. Turning. Me. On!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Yeah I keep thinking that too. Hell I think that now but with Seth MacFarlane. He's a young guy but Family Guy seems Simpsons-esque in the way it's been on autopilot for years now.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think it’s very possible that there will be no warning that it’s being cancelled and it just won’t come back one fall. The network has threatened to can it several times, although not for a few years.

Frankly though this is how I think it'll go. Maybe they do a meta-joke in the last episode where after allllll this time, Bart and/or Lisa (I forget which one's older) just advance one year and graduate to middle school.

Although what they should do is make the last episode loving insane and actually make all those crazy ideas from the start of the series that were never used (like Homer secretly being Krusty, or Marge's hair hiding rabbit ears because she's actually one of Groening's old Life In Hell characters) true, even when they make no sense.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Frankly though this is how I think it'll go. Maybe they do a meta-joke in the last episode where after allllll this time, Bart and/or Lisa (I forget which one's older) just advance one year and graduate to middle school.

Although what they should do is make the last episode loving insane and actually make all those crazy ideas from the start of the series that were never used (like Homer secretly being Krusty, or Marge's hair hiding rabbit ears because she's actually one of Groening's old Life In Hell characters) true, even when they make no sense.

This is the way. The ending should just go full meta no fucks given.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I stopped watching The Simpsons a while back (the most recent thing I’ve seen is the movie and maybe a few clips here and there) but I’d at least give them some credit if they just went balls to the wall insane with the finale like that (sure, a lot of those ideas have been directly disproven by the show itself from pretty early on but who cares honestly)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Larryb posted:

I stopped watching The Simpsons a while back (the most recent thing I’ve seen is the movie and maybe a few clips here and there) but I’d at least give them some credit if they just went balls to the wall insane with the finale like that (sure, a lot of those ideas have been directly disproven by the show itself from pretty early on but who cares honestly)

I had that experience, sans finale, with American Dad, which graduated from "What if Family Guy was in Virginia" to surrealist masterpiece over the course of it's 16 or whatever seasons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Honestly the show is so far from relevance and so divorced from anyone and anything that made it notable 30 years ago that I don’t know how to bridge the gap between what it was and what it is. How do you do a final strip for Barney Google? You can end Calvin and Hobbes. I don’t know how you end Blondie.

Presumably The Simpsons ends the same way a lot of long running sitcoms ends (like BBT, Friends, Seinfeld, KotH etc.). Not with a big bang, but a solid send off in some way that's poignant for the family. Probably also involving Maggie saying her first word (but the episode cuts off before it happens). Probably the episodes before it are the ones that go meta (not unlike Futurama and the bee episode). Have another XXXXth episode spectacular, another episode that's harkens back to 22 Short Films About Springfield, stuff like that. The big thing is that The Simpsons now is a bit of a different series than it was in its first 10 or so seasons where it was more a mix of weird sitcom interspersed with silly clip shows and the like. The series now is more following other series where it does try and insert lore or develop its secondary characters in a way that it didn't really care to do before but while also being forced to maintain a status quo as per its format and nature.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The final episode will be a normal episode that is slightly shorter than normal. After a fade to black the screen fades up to a confused looking Tracey Ullman who looks at the camera and asks, “the hell was all that?” Smash cut to black.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krapapolis is good when it is being extremely weird.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xelkelvos posted:

Probably also involving Maggie saying her first word

They did it at the end of the movie.

Her first word was 'sequel?'

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

The final episode will be a normal episode that is slightly shorter than normal. After a fade to black the screen fades up to a confused looking Tracey Ullman who looks at the camera and asks, “the hell was all that?” Smash cut to black.

I was thinking of that. Kind of like how the finale of The Colbert Report ended with them cutting back to Jon Stewart like the whole show was a hyper-extended segment on The Daily Show.

Just pretend the last 33 years have just still been a part of Tracey Ullman's show.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

muscles like this! posted:

Krapapolis is good when it is being extremely weird.

The last two episodes have been much more solid.

I was also surprised at how watchable Simpsons and Family Guy were last night.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Warbird posted:

You know I'd quite like that

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Vandar posted:

They did it at the end of the movie.

Her first word was 'sequel?'

Didn't she have her first word at the end of an episode forever ago? I think it was "daddy".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pogonodon posted:

Didn't she have her first word at the end of an episode forever ago? I think it was "daddy".

Voiced by Elizabeth Taylor iirc. Was it the story of Lisa’s birth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Voiced by Elizabeth Taylor iirc. Was it the story of Lisa’s birth?

Lisa’s first word I believe but yeah