Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

pun pundit posted:

I'm more concerned that Batman is darksiding. He doesn't need car tire durability. His vehicles typically don't last a full maintenance cycle of anything due to the extremely high accident and destruction of property rate in his general vicinity.

Have you seen his other motorcycle? I don't think he actually goes around corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I question the claim that a muffler that small could be "silent"

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I bought my Tuono 660 in April, and I adore it, but now that I've cleared out a few things from the garage, I'm getting the itch for something fully faired, faster on the top end, and most importantly, with the capability for taking my partner with me somewhere without crushing my balls after 45 mins of riding. She's curvy, I'm tall and broad, this bike was already on the smaller end of what I should daily alone. I want more room without committing to a cruiser.

I'm considering snagging an older (2010~) Concours 14 or FJR1300 for long distance riding with a pillion. Any thoughts between these two? Any alternate suggestions in the category? Are these dadbikes?

Before anyone suggests it, no, I've decided I don't want an ADV even though I bet it'd be more comfortable. My partner has very much has fallen for the "backpack" rider aesthetic and is continuously gravitating towards sportbikes. I figure this is about as far as I can get in terms of comfort without abandoning that style entirely. I have never been so lucky as to have a partner that wants to ride with me (and eventually learn to ride herself) and I'm not about to gently caress that up buying something that pairs well with an aerostitch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spouse posted:

I bought my Tuono 660 in April, and I adore it, but now that I've cleared out a few things from the garage, I'm getting the itch for something fully faired, faster on the top end, and most importantly, with the capability for taking my partner with me somewhere without crushing my balls after 45 mins of riding. She's curvy, I'm tall and broad, this bike was already on the smaller end of what I should daily alone. I want more room without committing to a cruiser.

I'm considering snagging an older (2010~) Concours 14 or FJR1300 for long distance riding with a pillion. Any thoughts between these two? Any alternate suggestions in the category? Are these dadbikes?

Before anyone suggests it, no, I've decided I don't want an ADV even though I bet it'd be more comfortable. My partner has very much has fallen for the "backpack" rider aesthetic and is continuously gravitating towards sportbikes. I figure this is about as far as I can get in terms of comfort without abandoning that style entirely. I have never been so lucky as to have a partner that wants to ride with me (and eventually learn to ride herself) and I'm not about to gently caress that up buying something that pairs well with an aerostitch.

Maybe you don't have to go the full dad. Suzuki Katana might be a good fit, or possibly a K1300S.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

VFR1200?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

B-King

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zrx

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

bandit 1250 for another big standard to look at that's easier to find (also not as good)

gsx-s1000gt is on the sportier end of sport tourers like the FJR and Concours, but is pretty new and might be hard to come by on the cheap

FWIW I spent about a decade buying and selling bikes trying to find something my wife enjoyed riding, the only things she ended up being OK with for anything more than a short day trip were a sidecar and later a Goldwing - good luck

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Goldwing - good luck

:hmmyes:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I know it's specifically what OP doesn't want but all the people I see touring 2-up in the Alps are on BMW GS.

What's the back seat like on a Multistrada ?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How cramped is the kawa z1000sx for two? It was another model I was looking at before I got my VFR.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

I know it's specifically what OP doesn't want but all the people I see touring 2-up in the Alps are on BMW GS.

What's the back seat like on a Multistrada ?

according to my wife, not great not bad, not much different than the GS (still have the GS, sold the Multi). PO said his wife frequently fell asleep back there, couldn't be that bad. my wife's main complaint was turbulent airflow b/c of the seat height putting her head at exactly the wrong place behind mine. adjusting windscreen height and me wearing a different helmet didn't have any major effect.

the rider's seat isn't great b/c it's short front to back and the pillion seat locks you into place. not much room to move around/adjust position on long rides.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I know I said "fully faired, faster on the top end, and most importantly, with the capability for taking my partner with me somewhere without crushing my balls after 45 mins of riding."

and I appreciate that instead you suggested a naked Hayabusa. It turns out you were right all along. As soon as I find one that isn't trashed, a B-King is a must, especially since it looks like it comes with an incredibly effective seatwarmer.

(thanks for all the suggestions, We'll see what she likes next time we go to the dealership :3:)

Supradog posted:

How cramped is the kawa z1000sx for two? It was another model I was looking at before I got my VFR.

When I was shopping originally the issue with the z1000sx wasn't the bike (which looked excellent as an almost-sportbike sports tourer), but that the insurance was insane on it. Like, comparable to an actual literbike. The Suzuki 1k sports tourer wasn't nearly as bad, talking $700yr vs $2700yr for me (7 years riding experience, no accidents or claims).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I need you to understand that no matter the question, the b-king is the right answer

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I need you to understand that no matter the question, the b-king is the right answer

It's true!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Alright, I'm back thinking about a monster again. Should I get an 821 ('15-'19) because it has traction control or a 796 ('11-'14) because it has a single-sided swingarm and that is prettier and I am buying it because it looks pretty and obviously not because I want to ride it or else I would buy something sensible? 821 has more power, water cooled, longer service intervals as well. 796 has a single-sided swingarm and is air cooled for the traditional experience of being hot when you are stopped in traffic in the city where I will ride it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The 796 looks far better.

Get the 796.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Get the 796.

This is the correct answer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Traction control is borderline totally worthless on a street bike. Air cooled monster is the only kind worth having imo.

Plus it looks way better, far less black triangle disease.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Steakandchips posted:

Get the 796.

:emptyquote:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Next season I want a new bike of some sort. I can't figure out what.
I have a Kawasaki Versys X 300, a Kayo TT140 , and a chinese shitbike 125.

The Versys, I have been tracking at NYST. It's not the right bike for it. I have Road 6s, YSS rear suspension, Racetech front. It _FEELS_ loving fantastic now. But I actually want to use it for ADV riding - there's MABDR here.
I have also taken it to an ATV park, it is a bit heavy, but I liked it enough to buy a Kayo TT140, dirt is super fun. I have like a Seatconcepts tall seat and tall touring shield to use with the taller seat for the Versys. They are gathering dust as they are bad choices for the track or dirt. I want the Versys for distance and occasionally ADV. It's gonna be the super comfy bike I guess.

I want something to track....and I want to keep the Versys for long rides or ADV.

I was looking at the Husq 701 SM, but a lot of folks said the 701 is basically an ADV with some more power and better longevity. It's longstroked and less fun than a 450.

KTM 450 SMR is an option...

I genuinely like the sport-bike feel in corners, though. My friend lets me on his CBR1000RR. I don't know though, he has spent himself into the poorhouse maintaining it.

Ninja 400 would be an OK track bike, or SV650...I feel both need suspension upgrades.... KTM 450 comes ready. Used track bikes...maybe.

The bike would JUST be for the track if I get one, I think.

NYST is building a SUMO track too. 450? 10-15K is so much to spend on a track toy. Christ.

The lol option is a Kayo MiniGP.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 23, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you want to build out a bike a Ninja 400 or SV650 seem like good starting points. Lots of aftermarket support for it. If you want something more turn key then I’d be looking 600s. They seem a lot more common, at least in track trim, and are nearly just as fast, maybe 2-3s difference?

I bought a YSS shock for my bike (CB300R), probably the same one you have lol. That and new fork springs/oil. Haven’t installed it yet, but going to Laguna Seca next month so need to get that done soon. Depending on how it feels will influence my next bike purchase. I’m kind of waffling like you, between a Ninja 400, SV650, or an R6/CBR600.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Get a CBR600RR. They have been around long enough that you should be able to find a fairly cheap one easily. My impression is they are less popular with hooligans than an R6 or ZX6 and will be better built than a GSXR.

I don't know what your friend is doing with his 1000RR, from memory his fairing keeps falling off so I wouldn't consider his account very representative.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am going to have to consider the 600rr. I keep forgetting about them.
He burns through rotors and brake pads twice a year, tires in one or two track days. The 600 should be a little kinder there. Rotors and tires are really why I am afraid to go the liter bike route.

It feels like every part is a consumable on those liter bikes to go as fast as possible 🤣

He's pretty fast, he got bumped to expert last session I went with him.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Actually - so I kinda like the KTM 450 SMC because you can kinda stick your foot out in corners. My knees are getting bothered at the track on my Versys 300 getting off to the side on the bike. Sports bikes you probably don't have to get off as much as a standard..and a light sumo maybe not at all?
Is there a light bike similar to the KTM 450 SMC, maybe less power, that DOESN'T need a top end rebuild every two seconds, and is track ready with suspension and tires? Or can be made track ready? I kinda do want a sumo. Super light. Something different.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Actually - so I kinda like the KTM 450 SMC because you can kinda stick your foot out in corners. My knees are getting bothered at the track on my Versys 300 getting off to the side on the bike. Sports bikes you probably don't have to get off as much as a standard..and a light sumo maybe not at all?
Is there a light bike similar to the KTM 450 SMC, maybe less power, that DOESN'T need a top end rebuild every two seconds, and is track ready with suspension and tires? Or can be made track ready? I kinda do want a sumo. Super light. Something different.

Hypermotard.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ah I just saw you said less power. Hypermotard anyway.

Or 35kw hypermotard

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Uh. 701SM. They're like 330lbs wet. They're an utter blast on any twisty roads where you're going between 2/3/mayyybe 4th. I have one and love it. I have an F800GS for ADV/longer trips, and my previous bikes were a TW200 and a Honda 599. The 701 is nothing like any of them.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
It might be the move. I just don't know if it would be as fun as a 450 on the track. I do want a track bike that doesn't need a ton of maintenance. That basically screams Ninja 400. But anything KTM or Husq would be fun as hell...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

everyone posted:

Done. Negotiated a bit and got 1k off which I promptly spent on a round headlight because it is important.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

wr250 sumo? If you want to back it in then it seems like you want a sumo. If you want longer maintenance intervals then either Yamaha sumo or 690/701 but those are very different things so…

Maybe get a g650x moto if you prefer BMW with a rotax engine or the husky version before KTM bought it whose name I forget.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i want to get a ninja hybrid next year. decision seems incredibly unwise but that has not stopped me in the past

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Completely disregarding fuel consumption I guess there's potential for some significant rideability gains if not outright performance advantages from a hybrid system on a bike. The ability to ride silently and having an electric walk mode like on an ebike would be pretty handy if nothing else. I'll curb my enthusiasm until there's an actual weight figure. But it's interesting technology, sure.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I hope Kawasaki doesn't pull a Honda and announce some cool looking bikes just to never release in the US.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

i want to get a ninja hybrid next year. decision seems incredibly unwise but that has not stopped me in the past

A what now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

Completely disregarding fuel consumption I guess there's potential for some significant rideability gains if not outright performance advantages from a hybrid system on a bike. The ability to ride silently and having an electric walk mode like on an ebike would be pretty handy if nothing else. I'll curb my enthusiasm until there's an actual weight figure. But it's interesting technology, sure.

Yeah cause the average Japanese bike is so horribly unreliable.

I can't see any benefit to the inevitable increased weight and complexity

You can't really get more performance because basically every non-small bike is already at the wheelie limit, shoving in more bottom end torque isn't going to help like it does in a car

Silent running mode would be nice but there is just no way on this gay earth it's worth however many kilos + a whole extra powertrain

Nobody cares about fuel economy, you can just get a small bike if you do

I just don't see the point. The only real purpose I can see is to try to maintain the same sort of horsepower figure while improving emissions and imo their efforts would be far better spent on full electric instead

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Clearly you're not an investor

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Yeah cause the average Japanese bike is so horribly unreliable.

I can't see any benefit to the inevitable increased weight and complexity

You can't really get more performance because basically every non-small bike is already at the wheelie limit, shoving in more bottom end torque isn't going to help like it does in a car

Silent running mode would be nice but there is just no way on this gay earth it's worth however many kilos + a whole extra powertrain

Nobody cares about fuel economy, you can just get a small bike if you do

I just don't see the point. The only real purpose I can see is to try to maintain the same sort of horsepower figure while improving emissions and imo their efforts would be far better spent on full electric instead

I wrote "rideability" not "reliability". Obviously complexity means more things to break. If you can reach the wheelie limit in a lighter package than just adding more combustion it might be good for outright performance but I doubt that's possible with current tech, though the much hyped solid state batteries might change this soon-ish - if they can deliver on the promise on a small very light battery pack that can discharge/charge real fast yet have a long service life. So I'm waiting for the weight figures prepared to be disappointed. "Interesting" doesn't mean I want one, it just means it will be interesting to see if anything good comes out of this.

E: a hybrid drive should obviously be coupled with a real temperamental two-stroke to help you stay in the power band.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 9, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

^^ a hybrid 2t would be legitimately rad and make sense from a power density perspective but I think it's too perfect to ever be made sadly

I can't read, this is a well established fact

Tbh I don't see any way it can get lighter short of magic. Forget the battery, there still needs to be an electric motor. There is no way to make an electric motor lighter than just boring bigger holes in the cases and fitting bigger pistons.

Like if you wanted to reduce emissions and increase performance on eg a gsxr600 you can do that by just making it a slightly lower tuned 750, a thing Suzuki already did in real life. I don't see how you could make the same leap by adding an electric motor and a battery unless they weigh literally nothing.

Seems more logical to me to just throw the ICE in the bin and focus everything on pure electric but the Japanese government disagrees and here we are, staring down the barrel of the only good mass market electric bikes being a Ducati (hopefully) and a fucken Harley Davidson.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
F1 cars are sort of engineering magic. Their electric motors are limited to a minimum weight of 15 lbs and a maximum output of 120kW. Surely insanely expensive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Japan just doesn’t like electric for whatever reason, cars as well. Honda had an EV city car for europe and outside that and 20 year old demo Rav4s, they don’t make EVs